Tips from someone who slept in a car, alone.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
paul_bennett
Burning Since: 2017

Tips from someone who slept in a car, alone.

Post by paul_bennett » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I decided to sleep in a car because:

- you don't have to set a tent and fix on the ground;
- the car seals better against dust;
- high fees to bring heavy tent back in an airplane;
- the car has A/C for desperate times.

Greatest thing about sleeping in the car: you just arrive at your spot and that's it! Nothing to set. You can go exploring or take a well deserved nap after the 16 hours from Reno to my spot.

I'm tall and before Burning Man I tested a few cars and realized I do not fit common cars neither common SUVs. So I went with a Mini Van, that can fold and stow all back seats down and have a long floor. The minivan had enough space to put a bike inside, so I didn't had to buy a bike rack.
food.jpg
Also, before Burning Man I tested sleeping on the floor with only two duvets as bed. My back hurt, so i bought the cheapest inflatable mattress and it worked like a charm. Filled with my lungs only. It was $15 on wallmart. Goodwill had one but I was afraid of leaks, so I chose to buy a new one.

Prepared mini vans for camping, such as those from Jucy Rentals or Escape Campervans make a way better use of the available space inside and have better things such as a kitchen - but they are expensive. My minivan was a regular one and I just spread everything on the floor and had to sleep alongside with cans of food, water jugs, clothes and leds stuff. It was a mess.
mattress.jpg
I strongly recommend that you buy several boxes and organize things, one box for canned food, another box for cutterly, another for party things, another for personal cleaning items. Boxes can be piled up making better use of vertical space. Even cardboard boxes would have helped me. I had only one spoon, one fork and one knife. Sometimes I couldn't find my fork neither my spoon, so I had to eat with a knife.

Put all your water jugs on the same place so you can figure your consumption during the week. I had my jugs on several places and at the middle of the week I was afraid I would have not enough water and started saving. On the end I still had 3 full jugs lost somewhere on the car.

About fuel: I filled the tank in Reno than filled it again in Gerlarch. I wasted two hours in Gerlarch, but that gave me peace of mind. With a full tank on Burning Man I was able to run the A/C a few times with no worries. After Burning Man you can reach Gerlarch with a little less than half of your tank, even if you get into stuck into the pulsing thing. If you want to fully use A/C everyday, than bring a 10 gallon gas can with you, it's half of a full tank.

Buy a cheap small table so you can heat your food outside the car and not set everything into fire. I found one for $6 at wallmart.

Buy a cheap camping chair, because you do not want to seat all the time inside the car. I found one for $7 at wallmart.

Get a bucket ($5 at home depot) that will collect gray water from dish washing, put clorox every now and them to prevent stinking. Leave it outside the car. Before departing, use a funnel and put that gray water inside used jug of water. Put some tape over the lid so it does not spread gray water on the floor on the trip back.

About heat: I used no shade structure, but I did two things:
a) taped outside my car several reflective foams - That helped reducing heat, but after mid-day, there's nothing that can help and my body refuses to sleep with all that heat. A/C is the only thing that helps, if you have fuel.
b) I parked close to a camping trailer, so after 4PM it produced shade and I could sleep a little before the night events.
outside.jpg
One big mistake was to use duct tape to fix the reflective foam outside the car. After BM, it was impossible to remove the glue. I found a place and paid US$ 25 extra so the guy could clean it good. He had a special glue removal product (probably kerosene) and did a great job. Full car cleaning was $75 + the $25 + I changed the air filter. It was a super clean car after that.

About showering: To clean myself without shower I used "Epic Body Wipes" and it felt very fresh. For the special parts I used soap, a bottle of water and a towel.

About cooling stuff: No cooler. Didn't bother buying ice. Yeap, nothing like a can of hot beer to feel stronger for the day. No refrigerated food. Only a mix of dried campign food and canned food. Coffee, trail mix bars, cocconut juice, odd yellow juice... everything hot. Yeap. I missed a cooler. I do recommend getting at least a plastic tray so you can buy ice and have a cool beer.

About heating food: I only used one gas can, but please, bring at least two. If you're going to cook for real, not only heating like me, bring 3 cans of butane/propane gas.

For key safety: I bought a key box with code so I didn't had to worry about carrying the key around playa. It was a large one because car keys can be bulky. I left it attached to the door. WordLock KS-052-BK. No problem with dust.

Mini vans usually have an AC 115v port, but the car engine must be on, so I choose to carry a portable power bank battery to refuel my cameras.

For bike safety: My bike lock was this one on the link below and it was enough to lock wheels on itself, no keys to carry, just don't forget the code. Steadfast U bike lock B01M0AQ9JB model SF708. No problem with dust.

For peeing: a juice jar with a safe lid. Every morning, I took this human orange juice to the porta-potty. It does stink a little and clorox may help, but pee+bleach does produce weird fumes. Empty the damn thing every morning, for sanity.

Go to Goodwill before Wallmart. You'll find duvets, knifes, pillows, towels, boxes and many other useful things. Wallmart, however can have a few cheaper things than Goodwill, like the camping table.

I only did this because I was alone. I experienced a lot of freedom and gained many extra hours for not wasting time buying ice or setting camp. No need to make things nice, just trow yourself on the air mattress when you're tired. No clue of what time it was.

However, if you feel like destroying your marriage, go to burning man with your spouse, a single car and no mattress. Buy only one fork. Bring two gallons of water. Arrive with an empty tank. Suggest a 10-some in Orgy Dome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Re: Tips from someone who slept in a car, alone.

Post by Krokodyle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Some neat ideas, glad it worked out for you. Seems like you did quite well on the work / play ratio!

"duct tape to fix the reflective foam outside the car." - Blue painter's tape works a treat! Get quality tape, however. Alternate windows shades are using inexpensive mylar emergency blankets or reflective insulation like Reflectix (the latter can be saved and re-used!)...cut them to fit your windows before you arrive on the Playa (I'll remember to do this some day...).
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:17 pm

Exceedingly well done! :D Thank you for sharing your experience.

Car camping is not for everyone, but I wish there were more folks as hardy, practical, and flexible.

If you do this next year, and bring that cooler(!) keep it as shaded as you can, slightly off the ground (if you can) and wrap it in an insulated/reflective cover (you can make a custom one out of those windshield shades) and your ice will last longer.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Sounds like luxury.

photo, plus sleeping bag & pillow, tarp to wrap them in against wind & rain
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:19 pm

Looks like a pretty steep uphill section of the playa, too!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:56 pm

That retrospective is good and all but ...

... sleeping alone for the duration is simply a crime.

Sorry, you done it wrong. ;)

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Good job. You did great.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:14 pm

Yeah but I concur... I'm not taking my tips from someone who slept alone.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:33 am

We took in a car camper, let her use one of our spare tents under the monkey hut. She would have been fine in the vehicle, but it is a spartan experience. Good for you.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 am

Good job. I would have set up a tiny tent to get all that stuff out of the van. (I sleep in a van too.) Nothing in my cooler except beer. Your conditions were similar to mine the first year. It expands from there. You might as well rent a storage unit now.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:22 am

I don't see how sleeping alone has anything to do with the great tips and info on sleeping in a car. There's clearly room for more than one in there if someone else wants to make that work.

This is good self-reliance info for a potential burner who might otherwise looking to plug and play. Eplaya is a pretty far cry from marketing self-reliance better than plug and play websites and social media posts.

We need more information and strategies for first time burners of all stripes that serve as great jumping off points. This is an excellent example of that.

Plug and play growth is a major problem. If we don't encourage people to share examples of self reliance, no matter who they do or don't sleep, this forum is part of the plug and play problem.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Wellll, hopefully Paul knows we're just busting his chops about the "sleeping alone" business, because sleeping two people in a passenger vehicle is actually a tricky prospect, best for only the most easy-going or playa-accustomed couples . . . & perhaps even then, in nothing smaller than a cargo van.

I think we can, as a site, contribute to radical self-reliance by remembering to compliment folks (especially new people) who pull off clever, economical arrangements like this.

We see too many new folks who think they need an RV to be liked, included, or respected. Tragic!

. . . Keep rewarding and respecting those with grit!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I'll say Paul Bennett and Canoe are both pretty hardcore. It's lean and mean, and affords more time to do other things. Last year there was a guy camping behind us that came in on an enduro motorcycle. He brought a tent, a mountain bike, water, food, everything he need strapped and taped around him. When he gave me a hard time over my ice usage, I told him to enjoy his warm milk...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Nice job, original poster.

This is a new model for the flyaway kids.

The waste which doesn't fly out is less than the tent/shade/stake plans. And a $100 cleaning is a bargain if the rentalco is ok with the result.

Two can fit in one too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Jackass wrote:I'll say Paul Bennett and Canoe are both pretty hardcore...

can I quietly go and delete all of my 30'+ RV photos...
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 pm

I use minivan too: Bring 6-gallon jug for water and a dishpan (actually it's a never-used plastic oil drain pan), for washing hair, body and feet. Buy 2in1 shampoo/conditioner so you don't have to rinse hair twice. The grey water is poured around the entrance (driver's side cargo door), dries really quick. Used same grey water to soak a cotton wrap skirt and wrap wet skirt as a dress to cool off.

Brought a lot of canned food (I'm vegetarian): Sardines, chili, beans, peaches in 100% juice, V8 juice, corn chips. Bananas, throw the peel on the roof under tarp (see below) to dry out.

Beer and wine kept moderately cool by throwing sleeping bag over it. Can also cool it by throwing it in the dishpan water. (The dishpan water is cooled by evaporation.)

Never cooked anything, ate right from can and washed every can with bottled water, which I drank after rinsing can.

Peed in a large-sized yogurt carton and funnelled into empty water bottles, stacked on floor in front of passenger seat, trash was in same area.

Used a milk crate to store cans.

Have a 10x12 nylon tarp and roof rack to cover passenger side windows, back window and roof (rack provided air circulation, insulation), tied tarp to various things under car, mirrors, etc: orient front of car in direction of rising sun but 10-degrees south so morning sun hits driver's side, which was also enterance. Thoroughly cover inside of front window with reflective sun shade.

Afternoon is too hot so I'd usually find shade at a camp to hang out (love Reverbia) until around 6pm.

Have to admit that this year was too hot so I left the morning after arrival.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm

How are you a vegetarian if you're eating sardines?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

666isMONEY

Post by 666isMONEY » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:13 pm

BBadger wrote:How are you a vegetarian if you're eating sardines?
That's ONE exception, canned herring too. A friend told me long ago: "fish eat other fish" . . .

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Uh... animals eat other animals too...

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 pm

666isMONEY wrote:...........The grey water is poured around the entrance (driver's side cargo door), dries really quick. Used same grey water to soak a cotton wrap skirt and wrap wet skirt as a dress to cool off.
I don't want to fuck with your plan, but pouring soapy grey water on the playa is not permitted. Now if you were to soak some towels in that same grey water, wring them out so they aren't dripping, and spread them out on the roof of your van, it would cool the interior while the grey water quickly evaporates, keeping it off the playa and avoiding any unwanted BLM visits.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:37 am

666isMONEY wrote:...........The grey water is poured around the entrance (driver's side cargo door), dries really quick.
Are you saying you just dump your grey water on the ground?
You realize that's officially not cool, right? You can actually be cited for that, by real cops. We have had them come to our camp and check.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:
666isMONEY wrote:...........The grey water is poured around the entrance (driver's side cargo door), dries really quick.
Are you saying you just dump your grey water on the ground?
You realize that's officially not cool, right? You can actually be cited for that, by real cops. We have had them come to our camp and check.
Fined and thrown out of BRC.

666isMONEY

Post by 666isMONEY » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:13 pm

Why is it a problem? It’s hard to make it disappear. Almost anywhere else in the world, a campsite is near absorbent soil (filled with microbial activity, and usually with plants) where it is safe and decent to dump gray water. But it’s different on the playa, on dried clay, striving to avoid contaminating our surroundings.

Don’t dump it! Dumping large amounts of untreated water on the playa introduces contaminants and can turn the clay into instant slippery, sticky mud. This can make walking nasty for your neighbors, and violates Burning Man’s contract with our landlord, the Bureau of Land Management. You could get a citation and a fine.

https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... ray-water/
I always thought small amounts of grey water were okay for the reasons in bold, above. By the time I dump my grey water on the playa, there's less than half-gallon. (It's clean enough for me to soak my dress in.)

Here's what the permit from BLM says:
Event permit regulations prohibit dumping waste water on public lands directly from a vehicle, trailer, wash basin, shower stalls, bath tubs, barrels, pools, or wastewater containment receptacle.

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-off ... 007-EA.pdf
I know kitchen sink water is NOT grey water, it has to be treated in a septic tank. (I had building plans for a cabin and applied for an alternative septic system.)

If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. In the future, I'll soak it all up in a towel and hang it up to dry.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Your mistake is calling it "gray water". If you say it's used for "dust abatement" then they view it completely differently.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Yeah, I assume you're just misapplying the term "grey water."

To be clear, "grey water" is any waste water that does not contain excrement (otherwise it's black water). It's not permitted on the playa because it is waste water. For dust abatement or otherwise, such water needs to be filtered of solids, not have residues such as soap or other chemicals in it, and be treated with chlorine (bleach) or some such before it is permitted to be dispersed onto the playa. Clean cooler water should already be fine.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 pm

They (BLM and BRC Earth Guardians) will usually check dripping air conditioner condensate, even though we all know that it is pure water, if they see it making a puddle. They don't get too excited about a damp spot from condensate, but still might ask you to put a catch pan under it. THAT you can spread around for dust control. And they really get the agita if they see somebody washing their hair or taking a shower and running it right onto the playa.

Token

Post by Token » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 am

But we all secretly know that the most prevalent playa contaminant is Playa Boogers(tm).

50,000 strong flicking golden nuggets for 9 days.

Yet there is no protocol for this.

Shame on us.

At some point you just gotta live a little.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm

paul_bennett wrote:However, if you feel like destroying your marriage, go to burning man with your spouse, a single car and no mattress. Buy only one fork. Bring two gallons of water. Arrive with an empty tank. Suggest a 10-some in Orgy Dome.
Good job! I'm sure you will learn lots of tips going around ePlaya but you did it! You survived and your method worked pretty well. If I were in your shoes I would probably have done something similar. So, how are you going to do next year better?

BTW, why has nobody bothered to comment on your excellent advice about destroying a marriage?!
It was better next year. -Burners

666isMONEY

Post by 666isMONEY » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:18 pm

For the record: The policy for dumping small amounts of grey water on the playa was changed in August 2016
Filter, treat and disperse small quantities of gray water. This method is only for small camps that already know how to minimize dishwater and body-washing water. If your gray water is both filtered and disinfected, and you don’t form mud, you will be within the rules.So, collect gray water in a container over which you have mounted panty-hose or a paint strainer. Add chlorine bleach regularly.In your own camp space (NOT public areas like roads or shortcuts), use a garden sprinkler-can (or improvised equivalent, even just a spoon) to distribute water very sparsely during the hottest hours of the day. The droplets must be sparse enough that they soak in and dry up quickly, and the surface stays hard.But keep in mind that somebody watching you might think that you are simply sloshing untreated gray water around, so be prepared to explain your careful process.

Wayback machine, July 8 2016: https://web.archive.org/web/20160708083 ... ray-water/

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Token wrote:That retrospective is good and all but ...

... sleeping alone for the duration is simply a crime.

Sorry, you done it wrong. ;)
Damn it. Now I can't get that George Thorogood song "I sleep Alone" out of my head.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”