elusive perfect arrival time

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
alanogy

elusive perfect arrival time

Post by alanogy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:43 pm

So first we thought, join theme camp, arrive early.

On further thought, we decided we'd rather camp on the outskirts to have a little more peace and privacy at night, arrive at midnight as gates open and greet the first morning after setting up camp quickly and grabbing a little sleep. Don't want to miss anything!

Now, after searching posts for an hour or so, we still have no clue as to whether traffic is prohibitively bad at midnight, known as 2 AM to us. If so, arriving at midnight after a full day of travel and waiting for hours might be counterproducive. Winding up camping at dawn and starting the day exhausted.

So, we wonder whether we ought to just wait til dawn Monday to drive in, but hate to just miss an extra half day in an ill-advised and unsuccessful attempt to evade traffic. If there are lines all the time, might as well just drive on in and face them.

One post suggested expecting lines for a couple hours at any time and to go with the flow. Are there particular predictably good arrival times Monday, in anyone's opinion?

Thanks in advance for any advice from the voices of experience!

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

daylight is good

Post by Tiahaar » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:13 pm

I've come in mid-afternoon Monday last two years, light traffic and maybe a half hour to clear gate, another half hour to clear greeters and park at camp spot. Would like to try for a mid-morning this year to allow more set-up time before the first night's fun. The night-time arrivals are for you more adventurous folks.
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:50 pm

Arriving after dark the greeters will tell you to park/camp on the outskirts of the city and then find your ideal spot further in when it's daylight. Of course people will do what they want to do once they get into BRC but there's the risk of running over rebar and all sorts of things in the dark, not to mention what looks like an empty space at night might be the middle of someone's village the next day that's not on the official map.

I prefer an early morning arrival while it's still relatively cool, and I can see where I'm going.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:33 pm

My wife and I worked the opening night (morning) Gate shift. If you arrive after sunrise on Monday morning you WILL miss something. Lots of traffic. From midnight until our shift ended at 6:00 am we never saw the end of the line. Be prepare to wait if you must get in when the gates open. It was a really fun shift to work, however.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

LostMachine

Post by LostMachine » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:41 pm

Last year we got there around 12:30am. We spent about 40 minutes in traffic to get through the gates. We were tired before but we were wide awake once BRC was in site. We didn’t have a problem finding a spot to camp, (8:45 and Mars) We had a 4 block radius that we told friends we would be at, They didn’t have trouble finding us. We set our tents up in the dark and went to bed around 4:00am. Everyone was awake by 10:00am and we set our 30 foot dome up.

Hope that helps,

Keep in mind last year was a full moon we had more than enough light to set tents up. This year you have to deal with a new moon. If you get there at night make sure you have flashlights and a BRIGHT lantern packed on top of everything.

LM
www.LostMachine.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:52 am

As with many things BM, the less you try and micromanage and just get in the flow, the better off you are.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bullD

Post by bullD » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:13 am

last year, I arrived at about 10:pm sunday night (no wait, it was after midnight), lines were moving, it took about 45 minutes to get in but then another hour or so hanging and drinking a beer with some folks at the greeters station which has always been my thing when entering, it gets me in the flow right away.

I found a nice spot for me and my mates which took about an hour because I was on full playa time at that point, reclined the passenger seat after shifting some stuff around, and passed out for a few hours. woke up before the sun peeped over the mountains and watched the moon descend on the western sky, fukin amazing. as the moon dissapeard, the sun was coming up and the camp build was on...

for me, that is the ideal time to arrive because I am so exhausted from the trip which allows me to get some decent sleep before a week of spotty sleep.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:18 am

I try to arrive early in the am. You avoid the afternoon heat, but more importantly you avoid driving on 447 in the dark (the most dangerous time for that road IMHO) and most of the people with the "We're drivin' all night if it kills us" contingency of burners.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:51 am

Another thing I'll recommend. Don't try the section of Jungo Road from Sulphur to Empire at night. The section from Winnemucca to Sulphur isn't too bad. That last part is pure hell in the day, and at night it's even worse.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:10 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Another thing I'll recommend. Don't try the section of Jungo Road from Sulphur to Empire at night. The section from Winnemucca to Sulphur isn't too bad. That last part is pure hell in the day, and at night it's even worse.
I would change this to: Don't try Jungo road. Unless you like changing tires alot (and have alot of them with you).

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:21 am

The official BM LLC recommendation is to stay off Jungo and for good reason. But for some of us we love the challenge of making it across there, and the scenery is spectacular. But if you're not prepared it shows no mercy. I carry two spares, an air compressor, patch kits, the works. If you prepare like that it's manageable, but it will put your vehicle through a test like no other, it will jar your teeth, and beat you like a government mule. That being said...I'm taking it again for the 4th time this year. If you respect it and prepare for it....it's worth the time to go that way. It's almost like a badge of courage to say you did it...you don't just drive Jungo. You survive it.
K-IV
~~~~

Bob A

Post by Bob A » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:11 pm

I arrived right around midnight last year on Sunday, maybe a little before, but not much, traffic wasn't bad, about 40 minutes until I was in the city. Once I saw the lights of the city, which is amazing at night and for a newbie, I was in awe and all thought of sleep left me. It was very bright last year so we found a place to set up greeted our neighbors made sure the space was free and set up camp. This year it will be much darker and harder to find space I think. I'm not looking forward to that last stretch of road with no moon, but still want to get in Sunday night. I'm bringing my own newbies this year and I want them to see the city the same way I saw it the first time, fuckin amazing!!.

Bob A

geekster

Post by geekster » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:56 pm

I arrived a little after midnight Saturday night last year. There was a line. The moon was bright and the playa is a light color so it was very easy to see, almost as if the whole place was lit up with street lights.

This year will be very different. There will be no moon. It will be very, very dark. You will probably be best served staying still until daylight if you don't have a place to go.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

alanogy

Post by alanogy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:43 pm

Thanks to everyone who's replied (and of course no need to stop - others may wonder the same thing).

Seems like a consensus, if not unanimity, that midnight traffic might not be fun, and that serious darkness/new moon might make navigating from Reno and across the playa, and setting up camp ill-advised at midnight.

So. We're tentatively going to arrive very early Monday when it's light. With the understanding we may be micromanaging things too much and that we may get eager and change our minds, but hey - you all helped us figure out when to book tickets. :)

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:39 am

Kinetic IV wrote:The official BM LLC recommendation is to stay off Jungo and for good reason. But for some of us we love the challenge of making it across there, and the scenery is spectacular. But if you're not prepared it shows no mercy. I carry two spares, an air compressor, patch kits, the works. If you prepare like that it's manageable, but it will put your vehicle through a test like no other, it will jar your teeth, and beat you like a government mule. That being said...I'm taking it again for the 4th time this year. If you respect it and prepare for it....it's worth the time to go that way. It's almost like a badge of courage to say you did it...you don't just drive Jungo. You survive it.
Taken Jungo several times with Ranger Spice. If you reduce the pressure in your tires and take it really slow for the second half of the road (once you pass the mine), you shouldn't have much trouble if you've got tires rated LT or better. If you have P tires you're probably going to be fucked any way you cut it. The first half of the road you can easily go 60-70 MPH, the latter half you'll want to stick around 20. But the scenery IS great, there's no other traffic, and you get to stop at Trego just before you get to the playa and have a nice distance view of the city. Jungo Roadsters are usually congregated there for a little while, and you can swap war stories. Last year I managed to get an early entry, so arrival time was moot for me, but we usually time our departure to land us on the playa about an hour before sunset monday morning. That way we arrive at our camp site just as the sun begins to come up, and are finished with setup before it gets hot. Of course, we camp with a well-established village, Hushville, so we don't have to spend any time looking for a suitable camp location. If you're flying solo, you may want to give yourself a little more time.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Sharky

Sunrise in BRC

Post by Sharky » Tue May 03, 2005 7:58 am

We drove straight through from WA State after a leisurely morning and a great breakfast (nothing like starting a road trip with greasy potatoes and eggs!). We made it to the gates at about 3am Monday morning and were setting up the parachute dome by 3:30. It was the most amazing thing to see BRC for the first time in the darkness and then the early morning light....and that sunrise was the perfect way to start our first burn!
We camped with Hushville, so finding a place to set up was easier than scouting on our own. The moon was a big help in setting up last year, and with no moon this year, I think I'll stop and get some sleep along the way so that I can set up at sunrise. I also bought a gas can for this year's trip...... there's nothing like driving that last hour with the gas guage bouncing around "EMPTY" to help keep you awake!
"To travel, to experience and learn - that is to live"

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue May 03, 2005 9:22 am

...ust thought I'd chime in, to keep the Hushville theme hummin'.....I got in about the exact same time- 3AM or so. Didn't start in on the dome until after sunrise and a quick location-shuffle. The previous year we arrived into the afternoon on Monday, and it was exciting to see the teeny tiny electric-blue speck slowly grow into The Man...Whole different vibe, showing up in the dead of night. There'll only be a little scrap of moon left on Monday this year, though- I was REALLY enjoying the moonlight drive up 447.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue May 03, 2005 10:54 am

We always try to arrive right at dawn. This keeps the engine cooler driving at night and traffic (and police) are less of a problem. The adrenaline rush when the sun starts coming up and you arrive at the city is great, and you can get your shade structure set-up before it gets too hot if you hussle. Lines are rarely over 20-30 minutes for each station (max 1 hour total to get in), some years there has been NO wait at all!

headquarters

Post by headquarters » Tue May 03, 2005 11:00 am

we get there about the same time as you jafe. right at dawn. we come from seattle and stay the night in Alturas then leave real early and arrive on playa right as the sun comes up. Dragonfly jafe just outlined the same reasons and advantages that i was going to say.

EvilDustBooger

Official Arrival Time

Post by EvilDustBooger » Tue May 03, 2005 2:16 pm

...We arrived about 1am last year. Had a hilariously fun 1 hour or so wait at the gate. We were surrounded by some real party animals, so the wait didn`t matter much, I was laughing my ass off having a royal time.. though we were eager to set up camp.
When we got in, we picked our spot, unloaded a bunch of stuff and did some preliminary set-up at about 3am. About an hour later, we took a break and I hopped on my bike to see the Man and some of the city......Burning Man is a total trip at night, and though everyone wasn`t set up completely, there was still plenty to see and the first night was very alive with people setting up camps and partying everywhere...
...At about 10:30am, I came to my senses out on the deep playa..I had officially arrived ..I was already totally exercized from my homecoming tour...hungry, tired, bleary eyed, ..the sun had changed from a faint glow to a fireball and I starting to cook in my evening attire....I had only just begun setting up camp earlier that morning... I beat it back to camp and got some shade up just before it started to get intense. The rest of the day was spent divided between short rest periods and setting up camp..........

bullD

Post by bullD » Tue May 03, 2005 2:25 pm

arriving safely has been elusive for some... please friends, travel safe and arrive safe.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”