After action report from One Wheelers on the Playa?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

After action report from One Wheelers on the Playa?

Post by claybcook » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:06 am

I know I saw a few "One Wheels" last year. My first sighting of such a creature. I wonder if such a sophisticated electronic device survived well down in the dust? Other than practically guaranteeing scrapes and bruises and contusions, they seem perfect for getting around BRC. Of course, there's the recharging and the inevitable dead battery at the trash fence and then carrying a 25 lb toy home, but other than that, they seem perfect.

Anyone care to post their experiences?
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Re: After action report from One Wheelers on the Playa?

Post by torrey.smith » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:48 am

I have an original, a OW+, and a OWXR on order.

I did field testing at Juplaya 2017 followed by an extremely heavy use profile at BM 2017.

I'm blown away at this thing. It's silent, fun, perfectly suited to the Playa conditions, and gives a different taste than some dork on a Segway.

Besides the mother lode of dust blowing off and out of it after I returned, it's been awesome. The sealed AC induction motor is the way to go. I did get an intermittent front light finally, but that's a quick fix to clean the leads and people post instructions for that.

Detractors will say this is Tech Bro Culture taking over our event.

I will say that if I see one more asshole on a 2-stroke scooter wrecking the peace of mind of an entire neighborhood, I might go have some words (if their ear drums are still good for anything).

The Playa is a proving ground for new ideas. Sextant tests out ground anchors, Tesla Coils, and the limits of human psychology.

I don't see why brilliant young designers from Santa Cruz can't have their creativity celebrated out there. The OneWheel is manufactured in Santa Cruz, CA. It's the picture of American ingenuity and enterprising spirit.

edit: dates
Sarge

Morrell
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Morrell » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:46 pm

A camp-mate fracture-dislocated his elbow on one during the week. Fucked his burn.

claybcook

Post by claybcook » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm

So, two lessons right away. The OW seems to tolerate the playa well. Also, gravity has not been banned from BRC yet, so care is needed at all times. As to the "so cool, it doesn't really belong" attitude of some; that's unfortunate. Funny, the lines that could get drawn between flaming propane powered art cars and silent battery driven skateboards.

How did battery life feel to you? Sufficient for a 3 hour tour? What did you recharge from? Issues in the heat?

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Morrell wrote:A camp-mate fracture-dislocated his elbow on one during the week. Fucked his burn.
Yeah, mine took out two of my buddies. One fractured his scapula and the other got major road rash :lol:

Read your ticket...
Sarge

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:06 pm

"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

claybcook

Post by claybcook » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:51 am

Torrey, I sent you an email with more questions. I'm curious about any other lessons learned, or extra precautions you'll take next (this) time? Fender? Spare parts or tools suggested? etc. Thanks

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 am

claybcook wrote:Torrey, I sent you an email with more questions. I'm curious about any other lessons learned, or extra precautions you'll take next (this) time? Fender? Spare parts or tools suggested? etc. Thanks
Lessons learned: OneWheels are insanely awesome on the Playa.

I won't be bringing any specific tools, and I don't need a fender for Playa conditions. It's perfect as-is.

With the XR out, 12-18 mile range seriously changes the game. My OW+ with 5-7 mile range instantly became a camp tool during Build Week. You could immediately zip off to a build site with tools and be back before your team missed you.

I am personally saving several thousand dollars because of the OneWheel, because it makes a trip to the porta potties incredibly fast, so I don't have a personal pressing reason to include them in Sextant this year. It makes everything WAY closer.

On a final note, it's really fun to stop and let people play with it when they give an interested look. There's no reason that it has to be exclusive and elitist. It's just a brilliant piece of engineering that's highly relevant to the nature of our event.
Sarge

claybcook

Post by claybcook » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks so much! Turns out I have a dealer near me, so tomorrow I'm off to look and maybe get a test ride. Is Sextant your camp? I'm in Anonymous Village. I'll be looking for you.

theSelf
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: No but very interested

Post by theSelf » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi all..I know this is an old thread but I just went to my first Burn this year (2018) and it was awesome! Just wondered what you did if anything to prevent it being taken (as many bikes are taken there if you don't lock them up when parking to go off dancing etc) and how you did with the range and would be concerned being stuck miles from home base eg deep playa with no charge left having to carry the OW back? How did you charge the OW out there? (I do not yet have a OW but am pretty much committed to getting a OW XR model.. Thank you 🙏

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:42 am

theSelf wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:23 pm
Hi all..I know this is an old thread but I just went to my first Burn this year (2018) and it was awesome! Just wondered what you did if anything to prevent it being taken (as many bikes are taken there if you don't lock them up when parking to go off dancing etc) and how you did with the range and would be concerned being stuck miles from home base eg deep playa with no charge left having to carry the OW back? How did you charge the OW out there? (I do not yet have a OW but am pretty much committed to getting a OW XR model.. Thank you 🙏
I took my XR to this last burn and it was awesome. Like you don't have to leave it on the charger most of the time awesome.

I could use it aggressively all damn day without running out of battery.

Sextant does a buried power grid with ~40kw diesel generators. If you're trying to find a solution from scratch, you might consider a small Honda generator. The 2000 is a great product for things like that. I'd be interested to see a solar setup that could charge one of these.

I did lock it anytime I was in a public setting. My technique is to pass a bicycle lock through the center part by the wheel and lock it to either a friend's bike or to a bike rack directly. I got good at the process and didn't feel slowed down by it.
Sarge

GroundStart
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Kikakee

Post by GroundStart » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:29 pm

torrey.smith (or anyone),
Do you wear safety gear out there? Just curious.
I broke my wrist riding a Onewheel, I don't go near the thing without wrist protectors on.

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:03 am

GroundStart wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:29 pm
torrey.smith (or anyone),
Do you wear safety gear out there? Just curious.
I broke my wrist riding a Onewheel, I don't go near the thing without wrist protectors on.
If I am riding anywhere near max speed, then absolutely, as sudden nosedives are just killer bastards.

With that said, I have owned and extensively ridden all three generations, and the XR is really new territory in terms of predictability and battery performance.

After enough wipeouts testing the limits on the V1 and the OW+, I'm having a ton of fun enjoying the XR in the happy zone of 14-16 mph, knowing that I have a big margin of both safety and range.

So on Playa, no gear whatsoever. It works great for me.

On city streets with cars around I wear full motorcycle gear.
Sarge

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:02 pm

How do folks feel about keeping to the BRC speed limit of 5 mph? Or are motorized personal conveyances exempt from this?
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

torrey.smith

Post by torrey.smith » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:02 pm
How do folks feel about keeping to the BRC speed limit of 5 mph? Or are motorized personal conveyances exempt from this?
It's a good question. I typically operate my bicycle between 10 and 20 mph when I actually get on the damn thing. Is that also bad?
Sarge

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 pm

All vehicles should probably be limited to 5mph except perhaps to pass if needed. The problem is that how do you enforce such a thing?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:39 am

Speed limit is important while driving especially at night with an artcar or MV. Some many darktards 8) in black clothing either walking or just sitting in a dark part of the playa. I offered a string of lights to three idiots walking in the dark, and they seemed hell bent on staying dark. On a bike or a one or two wheeled machine, you can see quite a bit farther out, and an accident is less catastrophic than with a vehicle. My artcar never had a speedometer in it when it was built 35 years ago, but I installed one to keep the speed in check on the playa.

This Ninebot machine will go up to faster than 5 MPH. The playa sand can be a bit of an issue when driving through it. Depending on the surface softness, this may not be practical on the playa.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:55 am

torrey.smith wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm
dragonpilot wrote:
It's a good question. I typically operate my bicycle between 10 and 20 mph when I actually get on the damn thing. Is that also bad?
We "raced" a BLM ranger in a golf cart on our four wheeled un-motorized bike. Ha laughed an complained that he had to stick to 5 mph and we didn't. I guess as long as you aren't being a hazard or a dick/cunt/ass/armpit, that pedaling over 5 mph is okay. Slow in the streets, faster on the open playa, park it in a whiteout, is my rule of thumb.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 am

AntiM wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:55 am
torrey.smith wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm
dragonpilot wrote:
We "raced" a BLM ranger in a golf cart on our four wheeled un-motorized bike. Ha laughed an complained that he had to stick to 5 mph and we didn't. I guess as long as you aren't being a hazard or a dick/cunt/ass/armpit, that pedaling over 5 mph is okay. Slow in the streets, faster on the open playa, park it in a whiteout, is my rule of thumb.
So here's a question; is it 5 mph for EVERYONE on a motorized vehicle? I see org people tearing around all the time in carts whether on open playa or city streets, and when you yell at them to slow down they give a fuck off stare and go faster. Are they exempt or just doing it because they can?
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:51 am

Dr Helix wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 am
So here's a question; is it 5 mph for EVERYONE on a motorized vehicle? I see org people tearing around all the time in carts whether on open playa or city streets, and when you yell at them to slow down they give a fuck off stare and go faster. Are they exempt or just doing it because they can?
I swear, it's those two-way radios. It turns them all official-like and gives them a cocky swagger. Watch and see for yourself next year. There is a weird knee-jerk with most all of them to just grab their microphones and report to their boss any minute detail they find----OVER! :roll:

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”