Bike Options When Flying

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
max18018
Burning Since: 2018

Bike Options When Flying

Postby max18018 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:27 pm

I am flying in to Reno from the East coast and then taking the Burner Express so my weight and volume is very limited. I'm trying to figure out bike options, but all of them have limitations. It's my first time to BM. I listed the options in the order I am considering them, but would appreciate some input.

1. I have a folding bike that I can figure out how to box up to ship out on the plane. I like the idea of having it with me, but I'm already pushing the limit on the amount of luggage I can manage in the airport. Also, the smaller wheels of the folding bike should function on the playa but are not ideal.
2. Ship a bike in one of the regional containers near me. This was my front runner, but it sounds like it is going to be logistically more challenging than I anticipated.
3. Rent a bike from the camp that delivers them to the playa. I like the idea of having my own bike so I can decorate it and light it freely. Also, there will be some logistics of getting to the bike and getting it back again. It doesn't sound like people have problems with these rental bikes (performance, availability, etc.), but it is a variable I don't have to content with if I bring my own.
4. Does the Burner Express make some sort of stop for renting or buying bikes? I saw something mentioned about a bike stop, but I don't know what was meant by this. Also, If I buy a bike there, I will need to figure out a way to get it home or donate it and it sounds like there are already too many bikes left behind.
5. Skip a bike and just use yellow bikes when available. From all I ready, this doesn't sound like a great option.
6. Something else I'm missing?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Bike Options When Flying

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:31 am

We've hosted international burners who used the rent and pick up on playa service. They were decent bikes, and they put on their own lights, which they left with us. A decorated bike is nice, but really, unless it is a real wowza, no one looks at them very closely.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Postby Popeye » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 am

max18018 wrote:1. I have a folding bike that I can figure out how to box up to ship out on the plane. I like the idea of having it with me, but I'm already pushing the limit on the amount of luggage I can manage in the airport. Also, the smaller wheels of the folding bike should function on the playa but are not ideal.
If you are someone who enjoys working on their bike you coulod do this, but you it will never be the same after a week on the playa.

2. Ship a bike in one of the regional containers near me. This was my front runner, but it sounds like it is going to be logistically more challenging than I anticipated.
I don't know what the logistical problems are but this might be a good idea. If you do this buy a junker, grease it well and bring extra tubes.

3. Rent a bike from the camp that delivers them to the playa. I like the idea of having my own bike so I can decorate it and light it freely. Also, there will be some logistics of getting to the bike and getting it back again. It doesn't sound like people have problems with these rental bikes (performance, availability, etc.), but it is a variable I don't have to content with if I bring my own.
I'll reccomend Eliot who posts on here. Good bikes, need to bring your own lights and decorations.

4. Does the Burner Express make some sort of stop for renting or buying bikes? I saw something mentioned about a bike stop, but I don't know what was meant by this. Also, If I buy a bike there, I will need to figure out a way to get it home or donate it and it sounds like there are already too many bikes left behind.
I saw someone pick up a bike at Keystone and put it on the bus 2? years ago. Burners buy grocerys and water at Keystone and there is not a lot of extra room for bikes. Check with BE before doing this.

5. Skip a bike and just use yellow bikes when available. From all I ready, this doesn't sound like a great option.
Yellow bikes start to become available on Sunday and Monday. As you say, not a great option

6. Something else I'm missing?

When are you arriving in Reno? Sounds like you plan to get off the plane and get on the bus. If that works for you then fine but you might want to get in a day early and pick up food and water. There is, I think, one BE per day that stops at Keystone. You will have an hour or so to find and buy everything then pay for it and get it out to the bus. If you do arrive early think about getting all your junk to the airport, where BE leaves from. Reno cabs are tiny little roller skates.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

max18018
Burning Since: 2018

Postby max18018 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks. Will likely try the rental service.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Popeye wrote:
max18018 wrote:... ... ...
I'll reccomend Eliot who posts on here. Good bikes, need to bring your own lights and decorations.
... ... ... ...

You rang?

I appreciate the recommendation.

Now, please allow me to make a correction: Elliot's Bicycle Service does not rent bikes. We do not engage in any form of commercial activity.

We lend bikes. And many of our Loaners are lent out as "perks" -- tokens of appreciation -- to folks who make donations of money to help defray the cost of operating our camp.

Last year, we repaired 677 bikes -- just in our Main Shop. Most of these bikes required new parts, which we have to pay for.

Also, we gave out a couple thousand beverages. Five refrigerators -- powered by a "whisper-quiet" generator -- not cheap.

And we offer several other services, such as massage. I bought another massage table just the other day, when I found one at a good price.

All our inter-activity takes place under a giant shade structure. Expansion and repairs cost money.

And so on and so forth.

So... we have expenses. Our camp would simply not exist without donations. But any commercial activity is utterly off limits. We have even been investigated by the BLM -- and cleared, of course. (The BLM agent was wonderfully courteous and helpful. They work for us, remember, and they do a good job of it.)

Next... I need to be careful about discussing fund-raising on ePlaya, to make sure we comply with ePlaya's Terms Of Service. This is of course all as it should be.
This year's fundraising will launch in a few days. Meanwhile, I invite you to peruse our website -- link in my sig.

We Are Going To Burning Man! :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public areas, please

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”