Common bearing and valve types

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Eycheych
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Tribal Spirit

Common bearing and valve types

Post by Eycheych » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi all,

Based on my last burn experience am planning to bring some extra tubes and bearings to the playa. Our camp will have a bike repair stand as well so I figure it will be useful to bring extra repair items.

Here’s where I need your help

1) what are the more common valve types floating around in the playa, Schrader or presta? I imagine Scharader but just wanted to be sure

2) im seeing both 1/4 x 9 ball and x 10 ball bearings. Does it matter how many ball are in the bearing or can I replace a 9 ball bearing with a 10? If not, which one is more common?

Thanks!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Common bearing and valve types

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:04 am

Most will be Schrader valves. I don't know about the bearings. As long as they and the cage fit it's probably fine (see this thread for some that are found on eBay). Also bring some bearing grease.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Eycheych
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Tribal Spirit

Re: Common bearing and valve types

Post by Eycheych » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Thanks badger. Yeo, will bring grease.

Coming back to the bearings again:
Thanks I saw that thread. However, I went to a bike shop today to check whether #66 bearings are common and whether 9 or 10 ball bearings are interchangeable but didn’t really get a good response. Is it basically a crap shoot what type of bearings will fit?
Am just trying to get 10 sets of the most basic bearings but I can’t seem to find an answer to what those “most common” bearings are... any help greatly appreciated

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”