Low-price bulk American Bottom Bracket Kits

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Low-price bulk American Bottom Bracket Kits

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:10 pm

I have gotten really good at overhauling bottom brackets on standard cruisers. I'm looking to both bring kits to gift people and perform the overhaul while I'm out there to the many grinding bicycles in need.

Is anyone aware of a good supplier for these kits? Retail they are about $15. I suspect I could getaway with bearing ring pairs in a lot of cases.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Low-price bulk American Bottom Bracket Kits

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:20 pm

You should probably just stock some bearing grease and bearings for most of the cases. They're a lot less expensive and probably go further.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm

I would be happy with a solid bulk bearing ring provider too. I agree that in most cases the entire set doesn't need to be handled. Retail, that's still something like $7-8 a pair. Hoping to find something cheaper.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 pm

I've only seen them for cheap in the ebay listing linked to here: viewtopic.php?f=286&t=87721 (this specifically). They're like $1.30 each at that price.

I grabbed a pack for myself because my bearings went to shit last year (destroyed the cage, but was still able to use them loose with some grease.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm

BBadger wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:29 pm
I've only seen them for cheap in the ebay listing linked to here: viewtopic.php?f=286&t=87721 (this specifically). They're like $1.30 each at that price.

I grabbed a pack for myself because my bearings went to shit last year (destroyed the cage, but was still able to use them loose with some grease.
That's what i'm talking about, yes. Thank you. Picked up 40 so, if i repair 40 BBs this year I think I'm doing pretty good.

I am not sure but i think in part because of the heat there was an overwhelming number of BB failures last year including on my favorite trusty rig.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Here's another question for you, do you think Mobil grease 28 is reasonable for use with general bb repair? I have a lot of this left over from a motor build and would be nice to have it for the dab these jobs require.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:57 pm

It was also really, really, dusty with little wind to blow it away. So I believe a lot of the grease just got sucked up by the thick layer of dust that the bikes were riding through all the time.

I'm not exactly sure about that Mobil grease 28, but from the description I read of it, it sounds like it would work. I just use marine grease, but my friend had some real bearing grease when I needed the repair on my bike and that worked well.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Was it really dusty last year? I thought it was the heat but maybe it was both. There were just a ton of messed up bikes, but maybe it was confirmation bias based on what I had. You could sort of anectodally hear it, the screeching bikes pedaled down the street, hours away from complete failure.

Okay, I'm headed by a shop in a bit here and will check on that mobil.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I think a lot of bikes started dying from that dust and heat, but mostly dust. Even mine, and I generally take good care of it and grease it up and stuff.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Yes, although I didn't have any problems with mine from 2014-2016, and I didn't even service the BB between any of the events. Maybe it was just too long without working on it for last year.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Spacetime, Didn't you go out and get it welded on playa too. I remember your bike was a beauty.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:00 pm

This is Spacetime after a hard day. Ready to fall over backwards in the itty bitty chair.

My that's a funny frame around that picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm

I did, wonder camp did an in-field weld of the chain stays at the bottom bracket.

It is a decent weld too. Not perfect but part of the reason the frame separated was because I was riding it through unbelievable friction not knowing I needed to or how to overhaul the BB. I actually learned a lot at eliott's last year.

The cruiser is pretty nice, a pre-war number out of ohio steel.

that was a comfortably low resolution doxx attempt ratty.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Come on by Black Rock City Welding & Repair and volunteer in our bike shop for a few hours on Wednesday or Thursday (or any day really between the hours of 10am and 4pm) and do a couple bottom brackets. They should be squeaking in about that time. We might take a look at your bike too. 3:00 and A
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am

Hey I’d be happy to. Thanks for the invite. Looking fw to doing some hot hot bike repair this year.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”