rec'd route coming in from northeast

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Ranger_KT

rec'd route coming in from northeast

Post by Ranger_KT » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm coming i n from the east in an RV. Given the current Nixon snafu, I'd like to circle around to the north from Winnemucca and come in from either Cedarville or Vya.

However, I know that not all roads are created equal. I've made the trip through Cedarville on 447 many times when I lived in WA State. I have no doubt that's an option - but it's much longer to get there from the east.

How are the other choices like 140 via Denio? Or 34 from Vya? Any recommendations?

Thanks much.

Cheers,
KT

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: rec'd route coming in from northeast

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:22 am

You'd probably be better off just making sure that you drive the speed limit and have all your plates and other stuff in order before driving through Nixon. You're looking at a +3hr detour going via the northern route.

If you still want to take that route, according to Google Maps, you only save about 8 minutes taking the route from Adel through Vya versus through the Cedarville route to the west. Google's mappers didn't seem to bother with the route through Vya. It's probably unpaved road, and inappropriate for your RV. You probably ought to just go through Cedarville and resupply while you're on the way. Careful, the roads are more treacherous than the route from the south.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ranger_KT

Post by Ranger_KT » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 am

Thanks Badger,

Good idea about the Google mapping. Am still wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of Rt 34 south through Vya. I saw that it starts off paved. Whether that lasts or not, all the way to gate, I don't know.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:28 am

The pavement ends on hwy 34 about 15 miles to the north of the Burning Man playa access road, from there to the north there is no pavement for I don't know how far. Several hours of driving on dirt I'm sure... Gerlach is "where the pavement ends".
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:44 am

If this is all just to avoid the BIA action on the reservation, going to Alturas avoids tribal lands down 447 from the state line.

See the BM Journal for explanation of the BIA “incident”.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:11 pm

By the time any of us get to Nixon we're going to be surrounded by hundreds or thousands of other vehicles.

Safety in numbers.

Ranger_KT

Post by Ranger_KT » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks Jackass - what I thought I recall hearing.

Thanks Token, I'm coming in from the north east and wanted to know if there was a shorter way than going all the way to Cedarville and then down. Apparently not. At least twentymile road seems to be paved all the way.

Yes Zuben, it is to avoid all the Nixon issues. I'm early entry and as the reports have stated, and I've read from various group emails, many people are getting pulled over.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”