2018 Arrivial / Traffic

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Canoe

2018 Arrivial / Traffic

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 pm

https://twitter.com/bmantraffic

http://gate.burningman.com/faq-gate.php

http://www.nvroads.com/511-home
Last edited by Canoe on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Re: 2018 Arrivial / Traffic

Post by Canoe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:31 pm

So far, Burning Man Traffic isn't giving out the times from Wadesworth to Gate Road.
But this is what I've got so far for the wait on Gate Road.
Time were up a bit, and then the winds hit and the whiteouts...
Gate Wait - 2018 so far.png
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:25 am

BMT still isn't providing any info on wait/drive times from Wadsworth to Gate Road.

Here's Gate Wait compared to last year. The whiteouts and the temporary gate closure they caused have really messed up the flow of traffic. In 2017, the max total time from Wadsworth to Gate was six hours.
BM 2018 Arrival - Gate Wait - sunday.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:25 am

Last hour BMT announced that the weather was clear and Gate Wait had dropped to six hours. BMT has just reported that wait times have dropped to three hours. Last year, Gate Wait had been a half-hour or less for eight hours. I'd expect the whiteouts made it a lot harder on Gate Crew this year.
BM 2018 Arrival - Gate Wait Time - Monday morning.png

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 am

This is why I love bringing my camper rather than tenting.
You drive however-many hours to get there, then six hours or more in line after that... then you can’t crash, you have to build camp first...
That’s one logistic few people think of before they’ve been there.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:37 am

Ha! And facing needing to setup your tent or yurt, only it's 40 to 50 mph winds. Wonder how many slept in their cars...

And an hour later they're down to one hour Gate Wait!
Now we wait and see if Gate Wait times show an influx of the people who were smart enough to wait before heading out when the whiteouts and Gate closures were announced.
It'll be interesting to hear some of the stories of those in line and from Gate Crew.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Some folks coming out to BRC. Gate Road time at 1.5 hours. Not much more than the time to drive across the playa at the speed limit and the speed limited by the bumps.
(Burning Man Traffic still not publishing times from Wadsworth to the Playa)
BM 2018 Arrival - Gate Road Time - Monday day.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:23 am

The past sixteen hours' times show a minor increase over last year, probably as those who waited for the whiteouts and their congestion to clear out arrived, along with those who always plan to arrive on Monday to avoid Opening Sunday's congested roads and gate road.

Wait is down to zero.

Which is good as the usual Tuesday morning CR34 repair of potholes is due to start shortly. Flaggers will be in place as CR34 is going down to one lane during the repairs.

(I guess BMT is not going to give us any Wadsworth to Gate Road times this year...)
BM 2018 Arrivals - Gate Road Time - early Tuesday.png

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

Looks like BMT notices have ceased with the low traffic.
Latest chart.
BM 2018 Arrivals - Gate Road Times - into Wed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Looks like things are backed up again, thanks to white-outs all day.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Burning Man Traffic wrote:Due to intermittent white out conditions for most of today, we are experiencing delays at the gate extending to several hours. If you’ve not left Reno, we recommend you stay there tonight and come to BRC Friday morning.
And the prior notice 10 hours before. Last gate time on the 28th.

If only they had a way to keep people informed as the gate time increased...

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:50 pm

BMT has been pretty silent...

Latest update upon what's been made available.
BM 2018 Arrival - Gate Road Times - into Friday.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Canoe wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:50 pm
BMT has been pretty silent...
Yeah, cuz BLM shut down gate for permit violation. 70k+ exceeded and they plunged it to only letting folks in when someone leaves.

RGJ has the scoop but is paywall unless you dump cookies in your browser.
The U.S. Bureau of Land Management asked organizers to shut down the entry after organizers oversold the event, breaking the rules of their permit, according to BLM spokesman Kyle Hendrix.

fireheadwhale
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pen is Mightier

Post by fireheadwhale » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:30 pm

I read it on an incognito page on google chrome. I'm wondering how BLM knows there's 70,001.
You can apply any terms to any situation to rationalize bias or perspective.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:41 pm

Token wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 pm
Yeah, cuz BLM shut down gate for permit violation. 70k+ exceeded and they plunged it to only letting folks in when someone leaves.
Well now. That certainly explains it.
  • And their "If you’ve not left Reno, we recommend you stay there tonight and come to BRC Friday morning."
  • And the now-deleted Burning Man Traffic tweet that recommended something along the lines of bringing lots of supplies for a long wait in your vehicle.
(google gave me a link that took me right to the article - thanks)

Token

Post by Token » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:17 am

Looks like enough folks left and gates be open again.

RGJ updated the article

The Burning Man organization reports that the population of Black Rock City has dipped below 70,000, allowing it to again admit Burners more freely into the event.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:36 am

But that doesn't mean that everyone waiting in line got in. Just that some did.
And still nothing about this on BMT.

Token

Post by Token » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:55 am

Those fun stories are yet to come.

Gonna be fun in here shortly.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:13 am

No warning. Yet they have BMT which is the publishing warning method, along with the official blog.
People waiting/living on the playa in line for Gate needlessly as they didn't publish a warning.
Not good.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:21 pm

I love the RJG's hyperbole:
allowed the event to swell past its population limit
then, a few lines later:
As of Friday, the population at the Black Rock Desert event had risen to 70,358
I don't think less than 500 people is what is implied by "swell past". This is within the range that's happened before, it looks to me like the BLM is just playing hardball with the BMorg. That said, I have no insider info, it just goes with the whole crackdown on the way in.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Token

Post by Token » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I’m happy RGJ has a dedicated beat reporter for BM.

Yeah, there’s some fluff.

Exodus Ready.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”