Transporting gear.

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Taz
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Transporting gear.

Post by Taz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 am

Some of my campmates had their camping gear transported directly to the playa via container. Does anybody know of a similar service from the bay area? My campmates are from central US. :?:

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Transporting gear.

Post by BBadger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Some camps have shipping containers that are purchased ($3,600) and stored offsite each year to be delivered on-playa by the service ($700/yr fee). It's called the BRC Storage Program. It may be that. Otherwise it might just be a private company that does it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:21 pm

There are burners in a number of cities that organize shared containers that get shipped out to the playa and back again.

I've never used one, nor do I know if there are any in the bay area, but I gather Kostume Kult is involved in organizing the one out of NYC. If you can't find an existing one and decide to run your own, that might be a good resource to reach out to for advice.

DrCook
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Cosmic Giggle

Post by DrCook » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:22 pm

There are many containers shipped to playa from around the US. Papa Bear is right that Kostume Kult/NY Container Crew organize the 5 that come from NYC. You can contact them at nyccontainer@kostumekult.com. It is surprisingly cheap when you fill the things- we pay $9/cubic foot for round trip NYC-BRC.

If someone from the Bay Area were to organize this you could probably fill 10-20 of the things and take a ton of traffic off the roads.

The BRC storage program BBadger is talking about is also great, but those containers only go to and from your camp before and after the burn. They are stored nearby and inaccessible rest of year, so most useful for durable camp infrastructure like shade structures/etc.

Taz
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Post by Taz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:07 am

How would I start that? Who would I contact first? If it were for a sizeable camp like yours that might be easier to organize but if I decided to solicit to a conglomerate on my own, how would I go about doing that?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 am

Taz. Try contacting camps that do it. Google. Email the BM org. through their website. Do research here and on other sites. If you put in the time, you can do this.
How would I start that? Who would I contact first?
Contact all of them first. Good luck.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Cliteg
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Doggy

Post by Cliteg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:12 am

Ratty wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 am
Taz. Try contacting camps that do it. Google. Email the BM org. through their website. Do research here and on other sites. If you put in the time, you can do this.
How would I start that? Who would I contact first?
Contact all of them first. Good luck.
Thank you for this advice!

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”