Bus/RV insurance

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
FlyingMonkey

Bus/RV insurance

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Just wondering what most people with buses converted & licensed as RVs are using for roadside insurance. I have my bus insured through my Auto insurance agent & I have been a Good Sam Club member (not an endorsement) in the past. My biggest fear is having a mechanical breakdown on the way to Burning Man with up to 9 people depending on me getting them there safely & on time.

I always make sure that it's as ready for the journey as I can but it's an older bus with over 100,000 miles so it's not inconceivable that something could happen.

While were at it, tell me your horror stories :shock:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Re: Bus/RV insurance

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 pm

You rang, M'Lord?
(Elliot un-retires from ePlaya, ever so briefly.)

That tow truck was fairly new and cost $650,000.
In 2017, I made the October payment on it.
Wait... make that... Good Sam Roadside Assistance and I made that payment.

Good Sam Roadside Assistance paid the roughly One Grand to tow Millicent to the nearest town big enough to have a mechanic, and I paid about $10 a mile for the rest of the way to my house.

The annual premium is not peanuts, but this works like any insurance -- it bails you out if something happens that you cannot reasonably pay for all at once. And even if you could raise the money in a couple days, that will not impress the towing company. But when an outfit like Good Sam Roadside Assistance guarantees the bulk of the bill, they will light the boilers in that PeterBeast.

That's may experience from Millicent's breakdown on I-5.
How things might work for you on County Road 34 near the mega-metropolis of Gerlach... I cannot possibly guess at.

Be advised: Good Sam Roadside Assistance is completely separate from Good Sam Club membership.

The horror story?
The Cummins 5.9 diesel engine has an oil cooler that lives inside an opening in the block, in the engine's coolant (water) jacket. The cooler is essentially a small radiator -- tubes and fins. Heat is transferred from the engine oil to the engine coolant (water and antifreeze) and then from the engine radiator to the air.

The cooler sprang a leak. Thus... oil at 30 PSI pushed against coolant at 7 PSI, and oil won. The unholy mixture then poured out of the radiator overflow tube until the engine would run out of oil and morph into a flower planter box.

How I caught it in time.... Well, I suppose I simply am that good. ;-)

Safely home, I fabbed a test fixture and pressurized the cooler with air in a bucket of water.
Air bubbled out and showed me where the leak was.
$250 and a couple scraped knuckles later, Millicent was good as new.

In Dust We Trust.

Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Foot Washing Salon, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

EXPANDING TO TWO LOCATIONS IN 2019. BICYCLE TECHS, BODY PAINTERS, AND OTHER TALENTS WANTED

FlyingMonkey

Re: Bus/RV insurance

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 am

Thanks Elliot.
Great information as usual. I knew I could count on you. I was not aware that the roadside insurance was separate from just being a Good Sam member. That's really important.

Sorry to disturb your ePlaya (semi)retirement. I have kind of done the same.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”