Definitions - are we "In the Crack"??

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
rblazer
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Minstrel CrAMP

Definitions - are we "In the Crack"??

Post by rblazer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:54 am

So for a number of years, particularly since our camp lost our art car, two of our members have “led” a bike parade of many of our members daily and nightly onto the playa with their 4-wheel vehicle (pictured below) which is pedal-powered, but for the last couple of years is also electric assist. We have always considered this unit to be a glorified bike-thing, and have never received any input other than praise for it - but now these new guidelines seem to indicate we might be thrown off playa, or need to go throught he same process a big honkin’ art car goes through. It really is a bike-thing, but do you think it would qualifiy as a “bona-fide” 2019 mutant vehicle???!?---or what??? --- any suggestions??!??!
RnLVeh1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Definitions - are we "In the Crack"??

Post by AntiM » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 am

Not in the crack, breaking the rules, and have been since they put an assist on it. Not new rules at all, just no one told the owners the old rules were being violated. I doubt it would meet the mutant vehicle criteria as it is personal transport, but they could try. Does either have a handicap placard?

I had a four wheeled rhoadescar, double pedal only, and we never put a motor on it, because with four wheels that was not allowed. Guidelines state there can only be two or three wheels for a bike with an assist.

Suggestions? Nothing you'd really want to hear. It is not a bike with the electric assist. It is cool, no argument there, but potentially they risk confiscation or a ticket. Depends on who sees it when and how hard ass they're feeling that day.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Definitions - are we "In the Crack"??

Post by Ratty » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 am

any suggestions??!??!
Yup. It's illegal. My suggestion is that you take the electric assist off. It's not nice to break the rules just to have personal transportation. It is a very cool car. I'm sure your camp likes to have someone bring their drinks for them.

And no. I don't think it comes close to qualifying as a MV or art car. Good luck.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”