So I'm gonna need a bike...

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
jaclynspradling
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jaclyn Spradling

So I'm gonna need a bike...

Post by jaclynspradling » Fri May 03, 2019 9:50 am

I don't have the means to transport one to the playa and I was wondering if they are available on sight?

Jackass

Re: So I'm gonna need a bike...

Post by Jackass » Fri May 03, 2019 10:15 am

Of course there are, they probably already had these back in 2000...

"The green bikes that you see all over Playa with 'Yellow Bike' stenciled on them are for community use. There are a few simple rules for their use:
• Do not paint, decorate, remove or swap parts, or in any way alter the appearance of community bikes.
• Community bikes are for everyone to share. This is not your loaner for the week. Yellow Bike rides are only a one-way guarantee.
• Never lock a community bike: locks found on community bikes will be cut and disabled.
• Don’t take it home with you. Removing any bike that is not theirs (Yellow or otherwise) is theft.
• Leave them in the open for others to use. Never bring them inside your tent, shade structure, dome or RV.
• If a community bike breaks while in your custody use Radical Self Reliance to get it fixed for the next person, or leave it where you find it and the Yellow Bike team will collect it and repair it.
• Always wear pants while riding a Yellow Bike. It’s a common courtesy to all who share these bicycles.
• Help spread the word about community bikes so others learn these rules too."
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 am

Another option is you can rent a bike and pick up on Playa. Check out Playa Bicycle Repair or Hammery & Cyclery. The cost goes to the transportation, storage, and maintenance of the bikes.

I can't vouch for either of those options as I've brought my own bike in previous years, but I will be using Playa Bicycle Repair this year. The research I've done shows pretty positive results for them.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri May 03, 2019 12:41 pm

I recently went to a fun event and provided a community bike. (It's adult size.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”