New burner with interesting bicycle

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
Bone
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Sonic Soul Tribe

New burner with interesting bicycle

Post by Bone » Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 pm

This will be the first year for my wife and I. We are hopefully bringing a bike we recently acquired.

This is a replica Victorian style 3 person courting bicycle. Just needs a little freshening up.
The dark is your friend

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: New burner with interesting bicycle

Post by Ratty » Wed May 08, 2019 2:56 pm

In the dust, fat tires are your friend. And it's all dust after a day or two.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 am

That is an interesting ride you have there.

There will be some streets that will be able to travel on and a good many streets that you will not be able to travel on.

After a day one or day 2, you will find a good many streets (especially streets on 6:00 to 9:00 side of the city that will have turned into powder 6"-12" deep. Even walking is difficult.

You have plenty of time. You might wish to consider locating and installing tires that are 2" - 2-1/4" wide. You will love yourself later.

----------------------------

If you have solid rubber tires, then this will not apply to you: Don't forget Tire Liners and Thorn Proof Tubes. These may save you miles of pushing your ride or walking to get spare tires and tire changing tubes. You will see many-many people that do not have these two items and have flat tires.

I have ridden my adult trike for 2 weeks, at 5 burns, averaging 30-40 miles per day and I have yet to have a flat.

Have a great burn, ~0..0~
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Bone

Post by Bone » Thu May 09, 2019 6:35 am

Meat Hunter wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 am
That is an interesting ride you have there.

There will be some streets that will be able to travel on and a good many streets that you will not be able to travel on.

After a day one or day 2, you will find a good many streets (especially streets on 6:00 to 9:00 side of the city that will have turned into powder 6"-12" deep. Even walking is difficult.

You have plenty of time. You might wish to consider locating and installing tires that are 2" - 2-1/4" wide. You will love yourself later.

----------------------------

If you have solid rubber tires, then this will not apply to you: Don't forget Tire Liners and Thorn Proof Tubes. These may save you miles of pushing your ride or walking to get spare tires and tire changing tubes. You will see many-many people that do not have these two items and have flat tires.

I have ridden my adult trike for 2 weeks, at 5 burns, averaging 30-40 miles per day and I have yet to have a flat.

Have a great burn, ~0..0~
At this point we are thinking about bring the courting bike with some type of art piece in place of the chaperone seat. We will also bring solo bikes for each of us.
The dark is your friend

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 pm

That thing is fucking rad. Can totally see myself on that 3rd seat, drinking beers and insulting people with a megaphone.

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Light 'er up and bring 'er on!

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Thu May 09, 2019 4:59 pm

That 'bike' is awesome!

Check the rules for a bike with 4 wheels. They may ask questions at the gate.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm

So long as it has muscle power only, four wheels are perfectly OK. (No electric assist allowed.)
But if you convert it to three wheels, you will enjoy lower rolling resistance.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Bone

Post by Bone » Thu May 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Agaton wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:36 pm
So long as it has muscle power only, four wheels are perfectly OK. (No electric assist allowed.)
But if you convert it to three wheels, you will enjoy lower rolling resistance.
We don't want to convert it. We like it the way it is, also it has to steering necks. One person can't even ride it cause it takes two people pedel, one per rear wheel.
The dark is your friend

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Thu May 09, 2019 10:03 pm

Sounds good. You may even find that the riders can help the thing turn better by pedaling harder on the outside wheel and less on the inside one.
And if I can finish mine in time, we can compare notes -- and maybe have a race. :wink:
Sophia Fruit Fly's new shoes 001 960.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Fri May 10, 2019 1:16 pm

yah, brought in a 4 wheel Rhoades Bike for a few years, they didn't give a damn.

which reminds me, finding specialty parts out there is near impossible. it can be done but you gotta be committed and willing to change your burn. so bring extra.

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”