police vehicle searches en route to the playa

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and getting to/from the event - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:42 pm

Oh poof--double post

A heavy rotation of the right music (ie "stairway") might ring alarm bells. Can you make dry ice smoke ooze out your windows? might want to augment with other stickers, the dead, the appropriate leaf, I don't hate my country but I fear my gov'ment...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:43 pm

A heavy rotation of the right music (ie "stairway") might ring alarm bells. Can you make dry ice smoke ooze out your windows? might want to augment with other stickers, the dead, the appropriate leaf, I don't hate my country but I fear my gov'ment...

and whatever else you do: Have trouble maintaining your lane.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:48 pm

Dork - Nice idea, but it probably wouldn't work. My understanding is, if they decide to stop you because they want to check you out for drugs, they'll probably find/cook up a reason - driving too fast, driving too slow, didn't signal a turn, something. When I was a kid, the common wisdom was "if they want to stop you, if they follow you for 10 mins they'll find something to stop you for". So I think you'd be likely to get a ticket at least, and if they wasted time getting a search warrant etc they'd find ways to make it as nasty as they possibly could.

effewe

Speeding

Post by effewe » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:57 pm

I have driven to Burningman alone since 1997 (went with my roommate in 1996) and have put the pedal to the metal when it is necessary. Just use your common sense and you will be fine. Eff with the law and they will remind you who is in charge.

See you on the playa.... :roll:
Rehab is for Quitters

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:08 pm

Something that no one has mentioned yet -- DO NOT DRIVE ON ANYTHING. I don't give a fuck how good you think you can drive while on _________, if you don't want to get searched, don't drive on ANYTHING. The life you save may be your own, blah blah blah. Save it for the Playa.

calsur

FYI

Post by calsur » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:10 pm

Just for information. This is straight off the CHP's web page. A holiday weekend would be a good time to do this.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/pdf/05-26.pdf

From Oregon to Mexico. Break the speed limit get a ticket and the effort is a year long on Interstate 5. Zero tolerance.

Does this say something about freeway speeds?

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:51 am

headquarters wrote:i've also in the past when getting pulled over at night,

pop on the dome light,
turn the engine off
put your hands on the top of the steering wheel

don't have a joint behind your ear like i saw someone on COPS once, and be polite.
This is solid advice. Do not start digging through the glove box looking for the registration. Just put your hands on the wheel in plain sight and wait for the cop.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:01 am

Utah is doing a DUI crackdown from now until after Labor Day, watch out on I-15 and I-80 especially.

Cosworth Magellan

Regarding sobriety checkpoints...

Post by Cosworth Magellan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:48 am

Nevada state police (or maybe local, I wasn't paying close attention) were setting up a sobriety checkpoint on Pyramid Way on the outskirts of Sparks right as I was going through at around 3:00PM on Sunday. I've never seen them do this before, and I travel that route back from the burn every year. Granted, this isn't an oft-traveled route for burners (it's the right turn off 447 immediately after Nixon) but I thought it was worth a mention.

We were all sober and not carrying anything illegal, so I paid it no mind.

As an aside, the Pyramid Way route is highly reccomended for returning to Reno. It avoids a *lot* of dangerous traffic on the last 30 miles of 447, and is a much more relaxed and beautiful way to get back to town. Great views of the lake, too.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:44 am

Sobriety chechkpoint was to cash in on the Rib Cook-Off. They do it every year because so many people get so shit stagger drunk there.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:07 am

Also,
Dork wrote:Just for fun...

I'll be headed up from San Francisco and will NOT have any illegal substances with me. Is there anything I can do to act as a decoy without actually breaking any laws? I wouldn't mind spending a couple of hours by the side of the road on my way up. Maybe apply a bunch of "legalize it" bumper stickers to my car? Any other ideas?
So this cop is sitting outside a bar...it's winter, he's cold, but he's sure this is going to pay off. Sure enough, here comes this guy out the door of the bar - as soon as he hits the parking lot the guy falls down. He stands up after a lot of trouble, drops his keys, falls down.

The cop is thrilled and decides that he's got to wait for this guy.
Dude struggles in the parking lot for fifteen minutes just looking for his car. He spends another ten leaning on the door, slips and falls again...he's a trainwreck. The cop watches this guy for almost another half hour. By now, the bar's closed and the parking lot is completely empty of other cars and the guy finally manages to pull himself into the driver's seat. As soon as he hits the road, the cop lights him up.

The cop, all swaggers and pride, strolls up to the car and shines his light in the mirror. The guy, in a perfectly coherent voice, asks "May I help you officer?" The cop is taken aback a little, but he presses on. They go through all the usual cop stuff and the guy appears to be sober as a judge. The cop gives him a breathalyzer and sure enoguh, the guy is CLEAN. Stone sober.

The cop says "Look, I saw you in the parking lot. You couldn't even stand up. It took you half an hour just to get the keys in the door. Hell, the bar closed while you were screwing around. What's the story?"

The guy gets a sly grin and says, "I'm the designated drunk."

This is kind of a creeper joke. Give it a second.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

zombiepleasedance

Post by zombiepleasedance » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:55 pm

this is actually the first time i've felt a need to post, but i recently got busted with some stuff.

the stop went like this --

i got pulled over for something silly, like i was driving funny. the cop kept asking if i had been smoking pot and looking at my eyes, and i really hadn't, but he was convinced. he asked for consent, i said no.

he gave me the ultimatum of "give us consent to search, or we'll bring out the dogs, and if the dogs start pawing around your car, we'll have probable cause, and we'll search, and if you make us bring the dogs out, you'll be in a lot worse trouble than if you just let us search."

can anyone offer any commentary on this? it really doesn't relate to BM, but you guys seem to know a lot about traffic stops and i've been paranoid ever since this happened. any words of advice to put me at ease?

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:53 pm

zombiepleasedance wrote:this is actually the first time i've felt a need to post, but i recently got busted with some stuff.

can anyone offer any commentary on this? it really doesn't relate to BM, but you guys seem to know a lot about traffic stops and i've been paranoid ever since this happened. any words of advice to put me at ease?
A friends big brother is an officer for the state back up in Idaho. I think it was him who was telling us all once, "its easy to spot someone who has something they know they shouldn't when you know what to look for" and of course all officers are trained to be alert for nervous behavior, furtive glances in the rear view mirror, etc. etc....

You already know the answer to your question once you know you're so easy to spot...
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:55 am

zombiepleasedance

Post by zombiepleasedance » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:31 pm

thanks for the words of wisdom guys

Return to “Bikes & Transportation”