New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Locked
User avatar
Elderberry
Moderator
Posts: 14824
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe
Location: Palm Springs
Contact:

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Elderberry » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Well this topic sure brought people out of the woodwork like cockroaches.
I don't like the idea of purchasing event tickets by lottery either. I don't care about the details, the plan sucks.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

LucyHosking
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by LucyHosking » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Oh my dear gawd, people! WHAT are you thinking?

The lottery concept is just wrong in any way you want to measure it. You can list the ways.

Two easy solutions, pick one or suggest better:
1) Do nothing. Leave it as it was. Reboot the damn server and work with it.
2) Register the tickets to a name & require ID. Price is refundable less a few %. Good idea to prevent scalping.

Speaking of scalping, there was never a mentionable scalping issue around the whole history of the Grateful Dead tours. Tickets were traded at face value, period. Sometimes they were gifted. It was an ethic. It worked for decades. I was there, but without the patchouli.

So my beloved burners, will you let a bunch of patchouli soaked hippies out-do you on a solution? We do so much so well, we can do better than this!

Lucy

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote: And what's to stop one person from having all his friends enter the lottery and they win selling him their tickets who in return can turn around and sell them for a higher price?
Pretty much. My plan was just to have all my family sign up for the lottery for me.

User avatar
wh..sh
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by wh..sh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Theres Always One wrote:Radical self reliance starts with having your shit together and getting your ticket before it sells out. Not relying on a lottery to bless you with a ticket.
+1000000000000000000000000
You have a good point. This "fair game" seems against the core concept of burning man.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

aliendna14
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by aliendna14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 pm

This newly proposed ticketing system is just so unbelievable...! Ugh! I've been attending for years and this has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of in my lifetime - it's up there with "My pet rock." I don't even own a credit card by the way - for my own personal reasons - and you're trying to tell me that I'm just shit out of luck if that's the case. Whomever is in charge, needs to go right back to the drawingboard, and stop listening to the "yes men" or women chirping in the background before this illustrious event is relegated to the dustbin of history. Mark my words, "this will backfire big time."

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Will Larry Harvey be in the lottery? Will he still think its a good idea if his name is not selected?

User avatar
wh..sh
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by wh..sh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:42 pm

PRE-SALES: We also announce the return of a limited Pre-Sale, timed around the holidays. These "pre-sale" tickets will be offered at a significantly higher price than the very lowest tier of tickets; they'll also be sold via a lottery system. (This also affords a chance for us all to experience the lottery program with a smaller subset of ticket buyers before the main rollout begins.)
Did people miss this?
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

User avatar
Shinylilypad
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:26 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Shinylilypad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:44 pm

I will be entering to try and get an early holiday ticket. I want to assure I have a ticket as early as possible. I just can't imagine they are going to drag this out until early summer. People are going to get crazy!
You are the same person now
That you were in the DUST

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:47 pm

An unintended consequence of this lottery, as a previous poster pointed out was "what is going to stop someone from having their friends and family sign up and resell the ticket to them to increase their chances of winning the lottery?

People forget that tickets had been on sale for 8 months before it sold out. After 8 months, if you don't have a ticket, you didn't really want to go and as such have no basis for complaints.

Last year, say there were 55,000 tickets. The demand was about 57,000. Not a terrible overlap.

Now, people (including scalpers) are going to pad the system to maximize their chances of winning and you're going to have, say, 100,000 entries for a 55,000 ticket lottery making it an even bigger clusterfuck.

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Minxy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 pm

mournlight wrote:Jungle, you are stating things as fact that have not been stated by JRS. First, it repeatedly uses SINGULAR, not pleural. It is completely possible it is poorly worded, but AS WRITTEN, it says there is ONE registration period. It says,
"You'll first register for the ticket lottery during a 2-week open registration period" It doesn't say "you'll register for one of several lottery periods and there will be a two week registration for each."
Then, "After the registration period, we will run separate lotteries for each ticket tier." That says to me you can register for ONE price, one tier, and if you don't get it you can't try for any others.
Next, "You will only be able to purchase tickets from one lottery" Now that sounds like to me that if you win in the first lottery, let's say in January, and you've asked for one ticket then (or two or three) then even if the limit is four, you can't go back and get another one. So families have to register all at once and get them all at once.

You're acting like we are over reacting but I think we are reading it exactly as it is written. Hopefully it will say something a little different when finalized. Unless you are the one making the rules, and you know factually that what you say is true, you need to quit preaching and let the discussion occur.
This above is exactly what I've been thinking. I haven't even read past the first few pages yet but that's really what I'm seeing. Jungle, did you read something elsewhere that has different language?

Also...
littlewing2 wrote:...This will not hurt scalpers. In fact it will only encourage them. Get all your friends and family to register for as many tickets as possible so you can sell them on Ebay for 3 times the cost!

Please please reconsider this idea. How on earth are we able to plan and create and spend tons of money on our projects when our entrance is going to be left up to chance?

Terrible horrible idea!!!!
It appears to me that to secure a ticket your average burner will recruit EVERY single person they know to buy a lottery space. Out of all of the tickets that are "won" people will be more tempted (I'd think, could be wrong) to oversell on CL and Ebay. The original lucky burner will have his ticket. I'd imagine he'd have to buy some off of the non-burners who also got lucky on his behalf and don't want to bother going/re-selling. Maybe that burner will pass those extra tickets he now doesn't need off at cost to other burners who didn't win the lottery.

Also perhaps, if a non-burner won the lottery in this fashion but their burner friend ended up not needing it, why would they have any loyalty to NOT rack up the price and make some money on their non-emotional investment?

Just by myself, for one person, I could just off the top of my head get at least 20 people who have credit cards to buy a lottery ticket on my behalf. Most of those folks aren't burners and would have no interest in going to the event.

I'm probably not saying this as it's feeling in my brain, but I hope the gist is coming across. I'm extremely tired and not feeling well. It sounds like it would possibly create a ton of new, amateur scalpers.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 pm

Minxy wrote:
mournlight wrote:Jungle, you are stating things as fact that have not been stated by JRS. First, it repeatedly uses SINGULAR, not pleural. It is completely possible it is poorly worded, but AS WRITTEN, it says there is ONE registration period. It says,
"You'll first register for the ticket lottery during a 2-week open registration period" It doesn't say "you'll register for one of several lottery periods and there will be a two week registration for each."
Then, "After the registration period, we will run separate lotteries for each ticket tier." That says to me you can register for ONE price, one tier, and if you don't get it you can't try for any others.
Next, "You will only be able to purchase tickets from one lottery" Now that sounds like to me that if you win in the first lottery, let's say in January, and you've asked for one ticket then (or two or three) then even if the limit is four, you can't go back and get another one. So families have to register all at once and get them all at once.

You're acting like we are over reacting but I think we are reading it exactly as it is written. Hopefully it will say something a little different when finalized. Unless you are the one making the rules, and you know factually that what you say is true, you need to quit preaching and let the discussion occur.
This above is exactly what I've been thinking. I haven't even read past the first few pages yet but that's really what I'm seeing. Jungle, did you read something elsewhere that has different language?

Also...
littlewing2 wrote:...This will not hurt scalpers. In fact it will only encourage them. Get all your friends and family to register for as many tickets as possible so you can sell them on Ebay for 3 times the cost!

Please please reconsider this idea. How on earth are we able to plan and create and spend tons of money on our projects when our entrance is going to be left up to chance?

Terrible horrible idea!!!!
It appears to me that to secure a ticket your average burner will recruit EVERY single person they know to buy a lottery space. Out of all of the tickets that are "won" people will be more tempted (I'd think, could be wrong) to oversell on CL and Ebay. The original lucky burner will have his ticket. I'd imagine he'd have to buy some off of the non-burners who also got lucky on his behalf and don't want to bother going/re-selling. Maybe that burner will pass those extra tickets he now doesn't need off at cost to other burners who didn't win the lottery.

Also perhaps, if a non-burner won the lottery in this fashion but their burner friend ended up not needing it, why would they have any loyalty to NOT rack up the price and make some money on their non-emotional investment?

Just by myself, for one person, I could just off the top of my head get at least 20 people who have credit cards to buy a lottery ticket on my behalf. Most of those folks aren't burners and would have no interest in going to the event.

I'm probably not saying this as it's feeling in my brain, but I hope the gist is coming across. I'm extremely tired and not feeling well. It sounds like it would possibly create a ton of new, amateur scalpers.

Absolutely!

People forget that tickets had been on sale for 8 months before it sold out. After 8 months, if you don't have a ticket, you didn't really want to go and as such have no basis for complaints.

Last year, say there were 55,000 tickets. The demand was about 57,000. Not a terrible overlap.

Now, people (including scalpers) are going to pad the system to maximize their chances of winning and you're going to have, say, 100,000 entries for a 55,000 ticket lottery making it an even bigger clusterfuck.

User avatar
thisisthatwhichis
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:53 pm

wh..sh wrote:
PRE-SALES: We also announce the return of a limited Pre-Sale, timed around the holidays. These "pre-sale" tickets will be offered at a significantly higher price than the very lowest tier of tickets; they'll also be sold via a lottery system. (This also affords a chance for us all to experience the lottery program with a smaller subset of ticket buyers before the main rollout begins.)
Did people miss this?

Sorry hun, I don't have your xmas gift this year...... We weren't picked in the lottery..... Here's a "Atomic Fireball"........ :evil:
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

User avatar
moonrise
Posts: 2226
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by moonrise » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Yep, and 4th of Juplaya...(bring your GPS)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

User avatar
sandgoddess
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Boise ID

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by sandgoddess » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:58 pm

:idea: I think the lottery is a great idea...brilliant in fact, on the part of the new and oh so non-profit Burning Man Organization. Bravo!!!! I'm sure there are a few glitches to work out, but I love the "fairness" of the idea.
It seems rather simple to me...if you need to begin planning early, register for the first draw, no matter what it costs. Credit card a problem? Buy a "special just for your Burning Man ticket" prepaid card with the amount you will need on it.
I get a kick out of reading all the "we need to do this" and "we, as an organisation are setting ourselves up" posts. Burning Man is not "we" :roll: "We" are not part of a big Burning Man democracy. :shock:
There are going to be people who decide never to go again. Oh, well. There's always another to take that one's place, no matter how many decide they aren't going.
Burning Man is an ever changing entity of it's own. Always has been, always will be. Deal with it. :twisted:
Everything's going to be ok. Maybe. Pass it on.

What do you mean we can't drive on the playa anymore??!!
Burning Man Apocalypse of '97

User avatar
ladonnamobile
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by ladonnamobile » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 pm

"isThisRealLife"A PROPOSED SOLUTION TO TICKETING FROM A HUMBLE BURNER

(Letter from BMORG)
Hello _____,
We'd like to thank you for being a continued burner over the years, and as a 2011 participant who has attended x times, you'll be given an exclusive window early in the year to directly purchase your 2012 tickets. Instead of a stupid lottery that would put you up against scalpers and newbs, we honor your tenure and welcome you to take advantage of this chance to buy early with no server load or long wait issues. Your access code to our ticketing system is F23BK4N and will allow you to purchase between Jan 1 - Feb 15. It will work beyond that time, but that window is reserved exclusively for the your invitation group.

Also, each ticket purchased will require the Burner's name to be logged at the time of purchase. Tickets will be non-transferable - this will completely prevent scalpers from hoarding and driving up ticket prices. If your plans change and you need a refund of your ticket, this can be done by contacting our Ticket Refund department at (415) 555-5555 and must be completed by July 15, 2012. NOTE: A $35 fee will be applied to sell your ticket back to us - this is to cover the cost of administrative work. Your ticket may not be transferred to another person through this process, they must purchase their own.

You may purchase up to 4 tickets with your access code, although keep in mind that you must have all 4 names of the Burners that you're buying for.

Again, we thank you for being a part of the community, and we acknowledge that we'd be nothing without people like you.
(End of letter)

If BMORG were smart, they'd already have a sorted list of emails & names that indicate how many years each burner has gone, and who's been most recently. Chop this list into pieces to create windows of ticket sales that will spread out the surge of traffic (instead of a lottery) and reward the most dedicated burners with the early windows. Send each Group an email 4 weeks in advance that their exclusive window is approaching, and remind them a day before as well. No excuses not to get your tickets comfortably with this approach.

While there may be SOME administrative work created from those who cancel and have to get a ticket refund, the fees would cover the cost of additional staff and the non-transferable approach would kill scalpers instantly.

The lottery might cover most of the community, but there will undoubtedly be a large group of irate burners who had to sit 2012 out because of bad luck. This will cause people to err on scaling down their installations, plans, camps, etc. because no one wants to risk splitting the money and effort of a 40 person camp plan by say, 25 people.

The only headache this approach would create is that tickets would have to be presented alongside an ID. So, reach down into your pocket and pull your ID out at the gate, and everything else will be the same as usual.

No more scalpers, no more server load, no more long-time burners getting the shaft.

Bump this if you agree, and let's get an alternative community SOLUTION to this ass backward lottery proposal. It's easy to vent our frustrations, but BMORG might actually listen if we give them a solid solution that lets everyone win.
I don't know how to bump.... bump??? Bump! :)
... we ALL shine on!

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:08 pm

sandgoddess wrote::idea: I think the lottery is a great idea...brilliant in fact, on the part of the new and oh so non-profit Burning Man Organization. Bravo!!!! I'm sure there are a few glitches to work out, but I love the "fairness" of the idea.
It seems rather simple to me...if you need to begin planning early, register for the first draw, no matter what it costs. Credit card a problem? Buy a "special just for your Burning Man ticket" prepaid card with the amount you will need on it.
I get a kick out of reading all the "we need to do this" and "we, as an organisation are setting ourselves up" posts. Burning Man is not "we" :roll: "We" are not part of a big Burning Man democracy. :shock:
There are going to be people who decide never to go again. Oh, well. There's always another to take that one's place, no matter how many decide they aren't going.
Burning Man is an ever changing entity of it's own. Always has been, always will be. Deal with it. :twisted:
Wow.....

essjay
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Vegas

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by essjay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Man, I'm surprised BMORG announced this on a Friday prior to announcing the new population allowance for next year. If we get a permit for 80,000, there is not much concern.

However, that they did gives me great concern. I don't like the lottery idea. As it is explained in JRS, I don't see how the lottery will give low-income folks a fair chance. If you can go for the top-priced ticket in every lottery, you will obviously have an advantage over someone who wants a low-tier ticket.

This just doesn't make sense for an event like this. I'd like to think all who want to attend are equals, but I also think some system should be in place that favors veterans/contributors. After 8 years on the playa, my camp has grown each year and the planning is a major effort - not to mention the expenses we typically spend early in the year. I won't invest this year until I know that I (and other key members of my camp) are able to go. When will I know this? January or July? It is a huge difference for the amount of work and planning we put into this. (At the same time, we can't exclude new people, or the event will die out quick - I'm at a loss here)

Very disappointing. My heart hopes BMORG has it all figured out, but this (extremely unhelpful) announcement in JRS really gives me doubts.

bluesbob
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV
Location: Fullerton, CA.

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by bluesbob » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 pm

If I'm in a lottery...say for $240 tickets...yet my name isn't drawn, is my name put in the lottery for $260 tickets? Or am I fucked?
"aw shucks.." - Eric

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 pm

ladonnamobile wrote:
"isThisRealLife"A PROPOSED SOLUTION TO TICKETING FROM A HUMBLE BURNER

(Letter from BMORG)
Hello _____,
We'd like to thank you for being a continued burner over the years, and as a 2011 participant who has attended x times, you'll be given an exclusive window early in the year to directly purchase your 2012 tickets. Instead of a stupid lottery that would put you up against scalpers and newbs, we honor your tenure and welcome you to take advantage of this chance to buy early with no server load or long wait issues. Your access code to our ticketing system is F23BK4N and will allow you to purchase between Jan 1 - Feb 15. It will work beyond that time, but that window is reserved exclusively for the your invitation group.

Also, each ticket purchased will require the Burner's name to be logged at the time of purchase. Tickets will be non-transferable - this will completely prevent scalpers from hoarding and driving up ticket prices. If your plans change and you need a refund of your ticket, this can be done by contacting our Ticket Refund department at (415) 555-5555 and must be completed by July 15, 2012. NOTE: A $35 fee will be applied to sell your ticket back to us - this is to cover the cost of administrative work. Your ticket may not be transferred to another person through this process, they must purchase their own.

You may purchase up to 4 tickets with your access code, although keep in mind that you must have all 4 names of the Burners that you're buying for.

Again, we thank you for being a part of the community, and we acknowledge that we'd be nothing without people like you.
(End of letter)

If BMORG were smart, they'd already have a sorted list of emails & names that indicate how many years each burner has gone, and who's been most recently. Chop this list into pieces to create windows of ticket sales that will spread out the surge of traffic (instead of a lottery) and reward the most dedicated burners with the early windows. Send each Group an email 4 weeks in advance that their exclusive window is approaching, and remind them a day before as well. No excuses not to get your tickets comfortably with this approach.

While there may be SOME administrative work created from those who cancel and have to get a ticket refund, the fees would cover the cost of additional staff and the non-transferable approach would kill scalpers instantly.

The lottery might cover most of the community, but there will undoubtedly be a large group of irate burners who had to sit 2012 out because of bad luck. This will cause people to err on scaling down their installations, plans, camps, etc. because no one wants to risk splitting the money and effort of a 40 person camp plan by say, 25 people.

The only headache this approach would create is that tickets would have to be presented alongside an ID. So, reach down into your pocket and pull your ID out at the gate, and everything else will be the same as usual.

No more scalpers, no more server load, no more long-time burners getting the shaft.

Bump this if you agree, and let's get an alternative community SOLUTION to this ass backward lottery proposal. It's easy to vent our frustrations, but BMORG might actually listen if we give them a solid solution that lets everyone win.
I don't know how to bump.... bump??? Bump! :)
Signed.

User avatar
sandgoddess
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Boise ID

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by sandgoddess » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 pm

...Cool idea...one glitch for me would be...I dumped the asshole I went with this year, and he bought my ticket. That would totally screw up my 13th burn, because my name and email weren't on the ticket purchase, asshole's was. :twisted:
Everything's going to be ok. Maybe. Pass it on.

What do you mean we can't drive on the playa anymore??!!
Burning Man Apocalypse of '97

bluesbob
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV
Location: Fullerton, CA.

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by bluesbob » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Also...I spent hours buying a ticket for 2011. I took a day off from classes. How many days is this lottery going to take? I can't sit day after day waiting for my number to be drawn.
"aw shucks.." - Eric

User avatar
Theres Always One
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Theres Always One » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:16 pm

bluesbob wrote:Also...I spent hours buying a ticket for 2011. I took a day off from classes. How many days is this lottery going to take? I can't sit day after day waiting for my number to be drawn.
5 minutes. All you do is register your info and wait for your name to be called 7 months later.

General Shew
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by General Shew » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:17 pm

At first blush (and everyone after that) I think this is a bad idea. The very label itself – “lottery” – smacks of a scheme under which random chance is rewarded rather than diligence, desire and planning. I mean, come on – how radically self reliant is it to say “Hey – I won the ticket lottery – I’m going to Burningman.” Many of the issues I see with this have been eloquently stated by posters before me(Espresso Dude, Jammies) but I am going to repeat them anyway under the theory that more voices speak louder.
I cannot help but imagine a host of plausible circumstances that might result in a critical member or members of a camp not getting a ticket. Like EspressoDude said, the committed and critical people are generally the first in line or shortly thereafter. It is only those who jump in on a whim or due to very uncertain circumstances that buy a ticket very late in the game. I’m not sure why there needs to be a change anyway. So the event gets a sellout crowd now - big deal. Do big sports teams or major entertainers suddenly switch to a lottery for their tickets when they have sellout crowds? Nope.
The purchasing aspect makes me very queasy. Like most people, I like to know how much is being charged to my card, and when. Essentially, I like to know what my ticket is going to cost me up front. It is like having a floating check of indeterminate amount that could hit your account at any time (within the span of a few weeks I’ll grant – but still…). For many people this is a problem.
In short it seems to have the potential, however remote, of penalizing members of a very committed group of people. And it imposes a state of financial ambiguity that is at best uncomfortable and at worst can prove to be an outright barrier. Like someone above said, the last thing I need in my life right now is another little serving of uncertainty…
General Shew
Alderman Shew

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 3957
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 pm

And if you buy the $320 ticket, leaving the less expensive tickets for those who need to save the money, how can you do this under this system?

And if Dad is buying tickets for Mom, Dad and two kids, would he be allowed to enter for four tickets and get them? How does that buy in only one lottery work?

I hope the details work out a lot better than it looks right now, or you're going to have a lot of pissed off people, potential for decimated theme camps, families who can't go because not everyone won the lottery, so they'll have tickets they can't use because it's either the whole family goes or none go, so I'm sure they'd feel like selling their tickets at only face value...
Last edited by Canoe on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4.669
.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

User avatar
unjonharley
Posts: 10346
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair
Location: Salem Or.

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by unjonharley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:18 pm

Theres Always One wrote:
ladonnamobile wrote:
"isThisRealLife"A PROPOSED SOLUTION TO TICKETING FROM A HUMBLE BURNER

(Letter from BMORG)
Hello _____,
We'd like to thank you for being a continued burner over the years, and as a 2011 participant who has attended x times, you'll be given an exclusive window early in the year to directly purchase your 2012 tickets. Instead of a stupid lottery that would put you up against scalpers and newbs, we honor your tenure and welcome you to take advantage of this chance to buy early with no server load or long wait issues. Your access code to our ticketing system is F23BK4N and will allow you to purchase between Jan 1 - Feb 15. It will work beyond that time, but that window is reserved exclusively for the your invitation group.

Also, each ticket purchased will require the Burner's name to be logged at the time of purchase. Tickets will be non-transferable - this will completely prevent scalpers from hoarding and driving up ticket prices. If your plans change and you need a refund of your ticket, this can be done by contacting our Ticket Refund department at (415) 555-5555 and must be completed by July 15, 2012. NOTE: A $35 fee will be applied to sell your ticket back to us - this is to cover the cost of administrative work. Your ticket may not be transferred to another person through this process, they must purchase their own.

You may purchase up to 4 tickets with your access code, although keep in mind that you must have all 4 names of the Burners that you're buying for.

Again, we thank you for being a part of the community, and we acknowledge that we'd be nothing without people like you.
(End of letter)

If BMORG were smart, they'd already have a sorted list of emails & names that indicate how many years each burner has gone, and who's been most recently. Chop this list into pieces to create windows of ticket sales that will spread out the surge of traffic (instead of a lottery) and reward the most dedicated burners with the early windows. Send each Group an email 4 weeks in advance that their exclusive window is approaching, and remind them a day before as well. No excuses not to get your tickets comfortably with this approach.

While there may be SOME administrative work created from those who cancel and have to get a ticket refund, the fees would cover the cost of additional staff and the non-transferable approach would kill scalpers instantly.

The lottery might cover most of the community, but there will undoubtedly be a large group of irate burners who had to sit 2012 out because of bad luck. This will cause people to err on scaling down their installations, plans, camps, etc. because no one wants to risk splitting the money and effort of a 40 person camp plan by say, 25 people.

The only headache this approach would create is that tickets would have to be presented alongside an ID. So, reach down into your pocket and pull your ID out at the gate, and everything else will be the same as usual.

No more scalpers, no more server load, no more long-time burners getting the shaft.

Bump this if you agree, and let's get an alternative community SOLUTION to this ass backward lottery proposal. It's easy to vent our frustrations, but BMORG might actually listen if we give them a solid solution that lets everyone win.
I don't know how to bump.... bump??? Bump! :)
Signed.
One More time...... The BMorg has NEVER taken a suggestion.... from the non elite a.k.a the burner..

THey take a wild ass idea and run with it..

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 3957
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 pm

And, the only way to buy a ticket through BM will be the lottery, which requires you to have a credit card?
Really?
How's that for radical inclusion.
4.669
.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

User avatar
Shinylilypad
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:26 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Shinylilypad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:26 pm

I am going to set up my Ticket Lottery alter now and start chanting to the ticketing gods! Here ticky ticky
You are the same person now
That you were in the DUST

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5822
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 1986
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Fucking Darwinism at it's finest.

If you're that thick headed as to ZOMG STOP ALL PREPARATIONS BECAUSE ZOMG I MIGHT NOT GET A TICKET...

or my most favorite NOW I'M GONNA SHOW MY DISGUST AS A 67866746 YEAR "BURNER" AND NOT GO BECAUSE GODDAMMIT ON BAKER BEACH WE WALKED UPHILL BOTH WAYS IN THE SNOW AND MY BURNER VAG SMELLS LIKE ROSES..

Then jesus fucking christ. Maybe you shouldn't go after all. Fo' reels. Stay home. Please. Let the other 55k people that actually use their brains go. Maybe it's time that you take a year or five off.

It's not that big of a deal.

Yeah.. its' not perfect. Yeah.. it's pretty lame of a "solution". No.. it's not the end of the world. Yeah.. if you want to go, you will go.

Jesus H Christ on a fuckin pogo stick.


This is why we can't have nice things!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
Bob
Posts: 6748
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Baker Beach *is* uphill both ways. It's at the intersection of five ley lines and three pendantic anomalies.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

essjay
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Vegas

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by essjay » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 pm

Calm down, JS. It is just a discussion - don't take it personally. Let people vent a bit. Then you can tell everyone "I told you so" later. People are concerned, and your repeated posts of assurance are not going to stop this discussion until we hear more from BMORG.

Locked

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”