New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
jdhood14

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by jdhood14 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:56 am

Maybe I am reading it wrong but quoted from JRS

- You'll first register for the ticket lottery during a 2-week open registration period. At that time, you'll declare which of the pricing tiers you'd be willing to pay, and provide a valid credit card number.
- After the registration period, we will run separate lotteries for each ticket tier. If your name is selected, at this point your credit card will be billed, and you'll receive a ticket confirmation.
- There will be several consecutive lottery rounds.
- You will only be able to purchase tickets from one lottery
- Yhere will be a limited number of tickets per person
- Ticket fulfillment will be held until early summer.

You only get to register once so you only have one shot at the lottery. If the limitions of tickets person remain the same you will only be able to buy two per person. Scalpers are going to make a grip. I guess I need to get everyone I know, including those not going to bman to register so I have a shot at tickets:)

I understand Bmorg must have go though a number of options but I fail to see how a lottery was the best one. Perhaps they should give priority to register theme camps, art, etc. Many of the options posted here would be better than a lottery.

There is no way I am going to spend hundreds of hours making art and spending thousands of dollars on said art if I am not sure if I am going to get in. I normally start planning in January. What kind of theme camp can I produce if I start six months later once I know I have a ticket.

jon

Ghost7

Post by Ghost7 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:00 am

Greetings,
While they, the Borg, have generally described the process the details are woefully inadequate. There are serious issues as to the details, such as follows;
1. how many tickets are being put up for sale? 50,000 or 70,000
2. what are going to be the pricing tiers? What will be the maximum number of tickets you can buy per registration?
3. this registration for the lottery is just a little toooo fuzzy; like how many tiers do you register for per registration?

A lottery has good and bad points, with BM the bad point is a damage inflicted in one year that cannot be repaired in subsequent years, camps vanish, mutant vehicles get scrapped, and many good burners go on to other and maybe competing events - the concept of unintended results is now in play.

Ghost

p.s. at this point in time the only plan I have is to find out what the most expensive ticket wold be (plus shipping/insurance) and purchase a pre-paid visa card, and then hope for the best.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:00 am

mfpb wrote:If we actually get tickets, Abstininthe camp will dispense our 40 flavors of absinthe using the new modernized drink ordering method:

- You'll first register for the Abstininthe drink lottery during a Monday and Tuesday open registration period. At that time, you'll declare which Absinthe flavor you are willing to drink.
- After the drink registration period, we will run separate lotteries for each absinthe flavor. If your name is selected, a courier will be sent to your camp and you'll receive a drink confirmation (note: courier may get distracted on the way, and you may never receive your drink confirmation).
- There will be several consecutive lottery rounds, the number of rounds being determined by a 20-sided die.
- You will only be able to receive drinks from one lottery, more if you can actually bear the process, or can stomach our beverages.
- Yhere will be an unlimited number of drinks per person (except for Jesse - you know who you are).
- Drink fulfillment will be held until Sunday.

+10...
Beautiful..... Bwahahahaha..... Makes me want to run the BoobyBar again this year just to use this idea.... Hahaha.....
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

littlewing2

Post by littlewing2 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 am

Seriously? The Chron? Don't they have anything better to do than read eplaya?
http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2011/11/11/ ... man/?tsp=1

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:03 am

junglesmacks wrote:.

This is why we can't have nice things!
No. I think you're wrong. Lottery implies luck. It the ticket cost were all that was being risked, then the lottery might not be such a bad idea. However, for those that spend thousands of dollars in preparing and attending the event, that's a lot of money to risk to the luck of the draw.

And it's usually those camps that provide the most interactive experiences and contribute most that might be deterred or to scale back their participation. That's why we might not have nice things.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

PhishMonger

Reno Gazette-Journal article Saturday morning

Post by PhishMonger » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 am

So, the RGJ interviewed BMORG yesterday and quotes Marian Goodell on the ramifications of the new process. Reprint:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20111111/EVE ... |FRONTPAGE

After selling out of tickets for the first time in its 26-year history this year, Burning Man organizers have decided to start a lottery system instead of selling tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The news was announced Friday in the organization’s newsletter, known as the Jack Rabbit Speaks. Black Rock City, home to the annual Burning Man event in the Black Rock Desert about two hours north of Reno, is regulated by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which imposes a population cap of 50,000 people, on average, over the course of the eight-day event.

The peak population this year surpassed 54,000 people. Meanwhile, Burning Man organizers are still trying to get a new BLM permit approved that would allow the population cap to increase to 55,000 in 2012 and reach 70,000 by 2016.

Burning Man 2012 runs from Aug. 27 through Sept. 3.

Organizers said the lottery system will eliminate the rush to buy tickets online, which has meant lengthy delays because of overworked computer servers, “and it begins to address the challenges of scarcity,” according to the newsletter.

In an interview Friday, Marian Goodell, a Black Rock City LLC board member, said Burning Man organizers are encouraging people to visit Black Rock City’s online forum, eplaya.burningman.org, to offer their feedback on the new process before more details, such as prices and deadlines, are released in the next two weeks.

She said organizers have been meeting about the proposed lottery system for eight weeks, but given the increased demand and limited ticket supply, as well as maintaining the event’s communal characteristics. Goodell said organizers realized years ago that a lottery may be inevitable.

“We’re floating a test balloon on this,” she said. “For the most part, people really wanted a system that equalized the opportunity a little bit and took into account the technological demands and we wanted something that would give us the opportunity to mange the population in light of the other challenges.”

By Friday evening, commentators on ePlaya noted their concerns over the new system, especially groups of friends and families buying tickets and having some not get one in the lottery.

“We’re working pretty hard to manage that,” Goodell said. “The lottery system will have some things in place to address that, but we can’t guarantee that.”

The details about the new system released Friday include:

o Prospective ticket buyers will register for the ticket lottery during a two-week open registration period. At that time, they’ll declare which of the pricing tiers they’d be willing to pay, and provide a valid credit card number.

o After the registration period, organizers will run separate lotteries for each ticket tier. If a buyer’s name is selected their credit card is billed.

o Several consecutive lottery rounds are planned through early summer. Buyers can only purchase tickets from one lottery. A limited number of tickets will be available per person.

Organizers also announced an increase to the number of discounted tickets for those with lower incomes. Meanwhile, dozens of Burning Man spin-offs have been popping up around the world in recent years, known as “regional burns”, which could offset demand for the event in the Black Rock Desert.

“We’re not about tickets,” Goodell said. “We’re about community.”
It takes a few moments of whilring around 'til your feet finally leave the ground

What is the central theme of this everlasting spoof?

Perry Stalsis has got to moove it moove it

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:32 am

What about all the folks who read none of this. Keep up on no Burning Man news. Then in July, decide to go. Is it possible that Burning Man will have record low attendance? The registration window is only two weeks if I remember correctly.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:45 am

Elorrum wrote:What about all the folks who read none of this. Keep up on no Burning Man news. Then in July, decide to go. Is it possible that Burning Man will have record low attendance? The registration window is only two weeks if I remember correctly.
hey, maybe that's the idea..........if a large percent, don't get this info, those of us who do, will be in the lottery, and, with less players, more chances.......and, if less than the cap apply, it would seem, all would "win".

I suppose, after the lottery, if there were tickets left, they'd put them out for "open sales"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:48 am

Put the tickets up for sale at one price..

I'll buy if I can afford it..

If I'm late on first first serve.. tough on me..

If I can't afford to build an miss out.. Tough on me..

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:49 am

Elorrum wrote:What about all the folks who read none of this. Keep up on no Burning Man news. Then in July, decide to go. Is it possible that Burning Man will have record low attendance? The registration window is only two weeks if I remember correctly.
If I am right, we don't care about these people :|
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Packoderm

Post by Packoderm » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:50 am

MyDearFriend wrote: And what about the people, not me thank you but I know several, what about the people who for whatever reason do not have credit cards? Approval by the money mongers should not be a prerequisite for ticket-buying, should it? How is that radically inclusive?
Does BMORG accept Green Dot cash cards? If so, that's the way I'll go. I'll join the lottery on the first day it's offered, and I think I'll have a good chance on scoring a ticket. If not, I'll try the next year. I bet the first x number of people joining the lottery, which is less than the total number of tickets sold including procrastinators, will be assured a ticket but not assured a particular tier.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)

cpart
Burning Since: 2010

Post by cpart » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:56 am

Did anyone else not get this mysterious JRS?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:01 am

@amarantha - we don't yet know what the ticket tiers will be (how much, how many tickets, etc). We also don't know the particulars of how the lottery will be implemented, either. So a complete freak-out is premature. But if you estimate something like 55K to 60K tickets (just my guess, I don't know any official ticket totals), and maybe demand for 65K… then the overwhelming majority of people will have no trouble whatsoever getting tickets (especially when you consider that it's a multiple round lottery - not everybody will be signed up in the first round).

@Dave_techie - according to the info in JRS, there will be more tickets for low-income participants. Based on that information alone, the 2012 ticket program could be better for you than in years past. We'll see once the details are announced.

@CapSmashy - I would have liked to see more details too.

@DanusLight - the newsletter goes out in waves, and may likely still be getting sent out. I'll forward you one, if you don't get an email from me in the next ten minutes check your spam filter.

@M_Full_Of_Grace - do keep your eyes open when the additional details come out, as there will be more low-income opportunities for next year. Hooray and awesome if you're able to get by without it, but know that it's there and something to consider.

@kel_dog - I think the Olympics is a completely different beast. In the case of that ticket lottery, there were many times more interested buyers than there were available tickets. If the arenas and stadiums had triple the capacity, they'd still sell every ticket. Burning Man's demand is much more in line with supply. In 2011, 9 out of 10 people who wanted a ticket were able to get a ticket.

@canoe - the time is unknown to you at this time, but details will likely be available in advance of registration. BMOrg does have a legal department, and it's my understanding that they're involved in the changes being made to ticketing.

@ericthomasdavis - I'm there with you (in taking time on day of sale to virtually queue for tickets), but for the last several years, a big chunk of the people who do… don't get low priced tickets. I'm curious to see how the details work out.'

@Ghost7 - details are coming. I'm not sure if they'll divulge the total number of tickets being made available, but we'll get all the remaining details soon.

@PhishMonger - thanks for the share

@Elorrum - to me, learning about Burning Man and keeping up-to-date on news/ticking info falls under radical self reliance. If someone chooses not to pay attention to it, they could potentially miss out on the window. We'll see what happens when more details are made available.

liamrh

Post by liamrh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:04 am

So I give up my credit cad # for a random billing of ~$250-$400? I have no control about when it is billed or for how much?

There are some serious money and transaction issues coming to mind here....

amyig

Post by amyig » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:07 am

Let's remember the Burning Man spirit, shall we, and get away from this attacking reactivity.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am

shut up hippies, and participate...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:29 am

AuntiM and I can't get tickets as our religion does'nt allow us to gamble! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, could'nt say that without laughing.

What about states that don't allow lotteries?
Last edited by FIGJAM on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

baasman

Post by baasman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:30 am

the whole idea smells like a scam to get top tier pricing forced on the unknowing
besides, where is the instant gradification when purchasing the ticket -

DOES THE WORD SUCKS MEAN ANYTHING - WELL THIS NEW IDEA SUCKS!

David M
Burning Since: 2009

Post by David M » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 am

Something needed to be done, anyone who experienced last years ticket day fiasco cannot deny that.

It is almost guaranteed that whatever they did not everyone was going to like, and that someone would proclaim it, "the end of burning man!" (burners are sadly predictable)

I for one like the system. It seems to me that the lottery is more to figure out what tier tickets you end up with, not if you end up with tickets at all. There are A LOT of tickets available. Relax.

If you are so worried about scalpers and people in your camp/project/art car getting shut out, than put in for more tickets than you need and sell them for face value to people who need them. Tell your friends to do the same. Cut out the scalper market yourself, don't expect the BORG to do it for you. Radical self blah blah blah......
Last edited by David M on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 am

[quote]give us the opportunity to mange the population[/quote]

easy enough.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:43 am

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

stevebookman

Post by stevebookman » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:50 am

Looks like the community has thoroughly explored the implications of the proposed lottery - especially the particulars of procedure, how it could change
aspirations of those who make especially elaborate and expensive preparations, etc.

Trumping all the administrative issues seems to be the accomplished fact of demand being very much ahead of supply. Much more mainstream media coverage of the
event was a leading indicator of this development. This puts the unlovely "money talks" ubiquity of American life squarely in the middle of Burning Man for the first time.

A dystopic forecast of what is in prospect: 2012 - a dramatic increase in solvent but boorish people -- "real" burners taking note of this with justified dismay -- 2013 "real" burners stay away in droves and what is left is a desert frat party "so crowded no one goes there anymore."

Jwen

Post by Jwen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:53 am

How are we supposed to prepare? What about my friends in Iceland, Israel, England, Spain, Chicago, Florida, and New York. How are they suppose to prepare. They all ready have plain tickets and now there is a possibility of them not getting tickets to the burn because of a lottery. It is as easy as printing the name of the buyer on the ticket. Non transferable, like a plain ticket. Valid form of ID, and ticket at the gate and you are in. If there are some people that are not able to have a valid form of ID, then you should allow the BLM to fine them because it is against the law to be with out ID in the state of Nevada. It will teach those hippies to be prepared. After all it is called radical self reliance isn't it. Ticket with name and ID. Its that easy! This is going to be a feeding frenzy for scalpers. If half our crew gets tickets and the other half doesn't then we might just put our tickets on eBay and go to Guam or somewhere. Not good. Burning Man Failed...

Nerdling

Post by Nerdling » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:01 am

Hello all,

I signed up here simply to voice my opinion to hopefully make some kind of an impact that could possibly change this dreadful decision.

First off, I am by no means an experienced burner, in fact this was going to be my first one. I will also state that I am not one of the so called "punks" who just want to party. When I first heard about BM I was inspired for reasons I still don't understand, but I felt this overwhelming desire to just go and immerse myself in the culture. I've never even been there and I think of it as 'home'.

However, with this new ridiculous "lottery" system in place, there's a chance I might not even make it. If what my (hopefully soon-to-be) fellow burners are saying is true, then this flimsy system leaves the door wide open for scalpers and that isn't what BM is all about. The general consensus seems to be that the best idea is to have your name printed on the ticket and only be allowed entry with some form of ID. Not only would this cut down on the scalpers, but it would give all the true burners a fair shot. And then those who miss out only miss out because they waited too long or some other reason that has nothing to do with 'luck'.

Once again, I don't claim to know everything about BM since I am only a virgin burner, but I know enough to know that this new system is ridiculous and should be done away with immediately.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nerdling
Last edited by Nerdling on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:02 am

liamrh wrote:So I give up my credit cad # for a random billing of ~$250-$400? I have no control about when it is billed or for how much?

There are some serious money and transaction issues coming to mind here....

No, you pick the tier you can afford and wait. From what I am reading, you will register in the 2 week window for the lottery for tickets in one, and only one, of the pricing tiers. Lottery drawing happens probably within a day or two of the registration close date, a week at the most I would imagine. If you win, your credit card on file is charged for the tier registered for. So if the first round is held in January for general ticket sales, you will know in January if you have been granted the golden ticket for the desert. Ticket fulfillment, when they send your ticket to you, will not occur until summer, closer to the event.

If you did not win in lottery round #1, you wait for lottery number 2 to happen. What is not clear, are you still registered for lottery #2 or do you need to completely redo your registration.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:05 am

smashy is wrong...

it's much simpler...

http://consumptionblog.com/2011/11/11/b ... tribution/
Frida Be You & Me

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Re: Reno Gazette-Journal article Saturday morning

Post by The CO » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 am

Marian Goodell wrote:We’re not about tickets, we’re about community.
Well, who are all those guys just off the paved road that want to see my ticket and EAP?

I remember buying tickets via the mail-in lottery many years back. I got a ticket, but the system was a bit befuddling at first.
I agree that they certainly could have given out better details to allay some of the freak-out going on.

I must say this:
JRS/BMorg: If you are you going to direct people to eplaya for discussion, I sure hope it is in fact getting read by someone on your end.

I would hate to think that we are getting this fabulous burst in angry population just 'cause....
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 am

Jwen wrote:How are we supposed to prepare? What about my friends in Iceland, Israel, England, Spain, Chicago, Florida, and New York. How are they suppose to prepare. They all ready have plain tickets and now there is a possibility of them not getting tickets to the burn because of a lottery.
Make sure they register for the holiday ticket lottery that is apparently happening real soon and then for the first round if they do not get picked for the holiday ticket round. Hedge your bets and register as many times as possible as in, get everyone that is going to get two friends that are not going to also register for the lottery for the maximum number of tickets possible as if they were buying tickets too. If you wind up with extra tickets, you can sell them after fulfillment happens and they send out the physical tickets.
It is as easy as printing the name of the buyer on the ticket. Non transferable, like a plain ticket. Valid form of ID, and ticket at the gate and you are in. If there are some people that are not able to have a valid form of ID, then you should allow the BLM to fine them because it is against the law to be with out ID in the state of Nevada. It will teach those hippies to be prepared. After all it is called radical self reliance isn't it. Ticket with name and ID. Its that easy! This is going to be a feeding frenzy for scalpers. If half our crew gets tickets and the other half doesn't then we might just put our tickets on eBay and go to Guam or somewhere. Not good. Burning Man Failed...
Will raise the cost of tickets as every individual ticket will have labor associated with for keying in the names of the ticket purchaser.

And yes, a spectacular feeding frenzy for scalpers. 2 weeks to register for the lottery system? Between people like me just hedging their bets by having a few friends and family also register for 2 to 4 tickets each (that can easily be sold later) and assuming it was profitable last year for the scalpers, flooding the registration process over the course of that 2 weeks.

I would be willing to bet the number of tickets requested in that first registration period is going to exceed the actual number of tickets available by a ridiculous amount.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:18 am

GOLLY, WOULDN'T IT BE FUCKING HILARIOUS IS SOMEONE STOLE ALL OF THOSE CREDIT CARD #'S?

just sayin'...
Frida Be You & Me

Jessetr

Post by Jessetr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:25 am

BAD IDEA!!

I belong to HeeBeeGeeBee camp, part of Nectar Village, one of the largest villages on the whole playa!

Do you know how much advance planning something like that takes? If everyone who wants to be part of it can't plan in advance, then the scale will be much more limited!

Fine, the whole camp is at capacity. That's great news, but don't punish people who do their best to plan in advance. If the problem is ticket scalpers, then there must be a techno fix somewhere. Limit two tickets per credit card. No ticket transfers (your name goes on the ticket and you have to present ID at the gate). Some techie magic on the server end that would prevent scalping.

If the camp is now at capacity, then unfortunately some people who have gone for long years in the past will now not be able to do so. But that is just a natural outgrowth of success. I don't resent having to pay a more expensive tier if I don't get 'in line' in time when purchasing a ticket over the 'net. But the lottery system is a bad idea. Please, organizers! Don't do it!

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”