Low Income Ticket Program

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Low Income Ticket Program

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:41 pm

Maybe it is a w-10? I can't remember what they are called. But you get them back from school because you can use them for tax dedications.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:44 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Maybe it is a w-10? I can't remember what they are called. But you get them back from school because you can use them for tax dedications.
I got a form 1098-T. I trust that TurboTax will know what to do with it.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:48 pm

+1 to what Elliot said. Provide the documentation that you can, and then explain your situation.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

frankbank

Post by frankbank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Thank you, you guys explaind/made enough sense out of it that I know what to tell her.

kittybow

Post by kittybow » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm hoping to apply for a Low Income ticket, however I'm from New Zealand and don't have a W-2. I could provide proof that I am on an unemployment benefit, however I worry that the panel won't be familiar with documents from New Zealand and that will reduce my chances. Does anyone have any experience with this?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Provide the documentation that you can, and provide the explanation and information about your country of residence in the space provided on the form.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks frog! Thats what I was trying to think of! :) Damn which reminds me I need to go scan my stuff in and have it ready for wend.

Rev Phunzjyn

Post by Rev Phunzjyn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:56 pm

As regards the statement(s) of proof,
most of my work is volunteering or art(which there isn't a plethora of cash in at the moment)and most of my income is barter/trade or under the table cash, and haven't filed taxes in years (through barter-trade, i live very well but haven't made over 15k in a single year in 10 years), i have never applied for govt. aid, unemployment, etc. . . and thus i have no "papers." And I've got too much damn (unpaid) work to go get a "job" with those papers. . .

My Question: Am I screwed?

i suppose i'll take pictures of my art work, write a comprehensive essay on my situation and maybe get some reputable burners to write letters of recommendation for me. . .because I don't leave a paper trail, and thus no proof.

This will be my first time applying for low-income, in the past my lack of money was mitigated by the fact that i could save for it until the summer.

thanks

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 am

Probably not. Wait til the program launches on the 29th, then look at the application and see for yourself.

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:04 am

I'm wondering if the number of LI tickets will be reduced ...
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

laffingblonde
Burning Since: 2010

Post by laffingblonde » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:15 pm

So with the fact that there's going to be 4,000 tickets for most likely many times that number of applicants are we going to be allowed to register for STEP and throw in an application for low income? Just because I'm willing to pay BM's blood money with a credit card the banks hand out to lure me into debt slavery doesn't mean I'm puttin' on the ritz.

I'm sure there's thousands of burners in just as dire economic straits. I want to go and I want to give myself the largest chance possible since my camp already decided not to bother. Obviously if I acquire a ticket through either means I wouldn't want to utilize the other. Didn't look to game the system in the first place and am now sitting outside looking in like so many other citizens. The girl can't even use STEP since we only registered once for the lottery together. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanksh and good luck to everyone in their unfortunate quest.
believe it or not every burner from new york doesn't reside in the chity. there's all this green space up north you may've heard about

the burn didn't blow my mind. it reinforced the way i've always lived my life

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:21 pm

If you didn't apply for the main sale, you cannot apply for STEP.

And I give your post -2 for melodrama.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Am I the only one who is totally freaked out about applying to low income right now? I am someone who make say $600-$700 a month working 2 jobs and my monthly basic bills are about that. Because of the new 10k distribution there are going to be SOOOOO many people trying to scam the low income to try to get their hands on a ticket sense the only 2 options left are step and other burners. To be honest Im scared shitless. I know there are people out there that make far less then me and need/want them to and they should get a ticket! But crap, I have been saving every penny I can to save for this too and buying things I need as not to rely on others. I am really worried that because of the influx of people who will try to scam the system I will not get one of these "golden tickets" and honestly I am not sure If I can save $390 to get one of the camp tickets it is going to be a stretch to get the $160. How is BM org going to weed out the people who really should not be applying. I mean if you entered the lottery say in the $240 tier you most likely have more money then the people who really need the low income and waited till now (well now the 29th) to try for there ticket cause they knew they did not have the $240 or no way would they be able to get it. Are they going to take this into consideration? People who did not do the lottery and waited?

Yep officially a bit freaked out. I want to come home and have everything ready to go. Hell I even got a blessing from my mother to go tonight and from past posts you will see she was TOTALLY against me going. ( im 27 by the way, she was very concerned and I spent many weeks showing her that it is pretty safe and there is police out there) so yeah I have worked really hard this past 5 months to be able to do this and I don't want to be said no because some one who can afford to go for the $240 tier got "my" ticket

:( Sad panda.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Didn't you think that people would try to game this system too?
Now take a breath and make sure you can turn in the bestest and brightest application that you can 8)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:45 pm

lucky420 wrote:Didn't you think that people would try to game this system too?
Now take a breath and make sure you can turn in the bestest and brightest application that you can 8)
Yep.

There is no "defeating" of other people entering the low income tickets, so you might as well ignore them and concentrate on your own success.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 pm

oh for sure I knew people would try to game this as well. But now that the open sale is null and void people are freaking out and going to try to score any way possible. It will make far more chaos in the low income department than before.

I wish I had a copy of what it will look like so I can really think over what I want instead of being concerned with being the first one in. I just need to breath and take my time. The ADD is not good for me haha.

I am just going to try to shine my self in the best possible light I can and show BMorg what kind of asset to them I am and can be. No bullshiting just honesty. I know im not going to be the prefect burner but Hey I think I am making effort to be a good one by being here, staying here and asking for help from everyone here to be ready for hopefully my first burn.

KrisMuffin

Post by KrisMuffin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Am I the only one who is totally freaked out about applying to low income
I'm right there with you! I'm so worried I emailed them. Especially since theres so much newbie hate I fear that low-income tickets will be reserved for experienced burners only. I think its only fair that those that applied in the lottery can't apply for low income. Those of us that waited due to legitimate need can't apply to STEP! That would be fair, and further insure (loopholes always exsist) that those who truly need the tickets will get them.

I do wonder.... If I do get to go... Will everyone be bitter about their friends not being there and shun the new folks? ::Trying to Stay Positive::
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - W. Wonka

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:Am I the only one who is totally freaked out about applying to low income
I'm right there with you! I'm so worried I emailed them. Especially since theres so much newbie hate I fear that low-income tickets will be reserved for experienced burners only. I think its only fair that those that applied in the lottery can't apply for low income. Those of us that waited due to legitimate need can't apply to STEP! That would be fair, and further insure (loopholes always exsist) that those who truly need the tickets will get them.

I do wonder.... If I do get to go... Will everyone be bitter about their friends not being there and shun the new folks? ::Trying to Stay Positive::
Nope. You are welcome. And you will have a lot of newbie company--realize that!

You can post a hello in the Introduce Yourself forum, by the way. :) (But it's not a requirement.)

Also . . . if you prepare for the event really well, no one will necessarily know you're new unless you tell them. (They call such folk "Stealth Virgins".)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:

I kinda feel the same way if you put your name into the pot for the lottery you have the funds to buy these more spendy tickets. I sat out and I am sure you did to because we can't afford it. This will also be my first burn if I am able to get a ticket. I have spent a fair share of money on buying things I need like goggles, tent, camelbak ect ect. Just for me to be able to live out there with out and frills. I have wanted to get fabric to make a costume and right now that is not looking like a option at this point. I need to put every dime away right now. But you know what.. this whole thing is not fair just like life. So I guess we will have to take our chances. Be honest and let BMorg see what we are saying. That we really do $$$ need these tickets. What a insain year this is going to be. lol

I just need to sit back and breath and let this all blow over and see what happens. I can do it *sigh*

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Oh there shouldn't be to much shunning of virgins. Once you get on the playa most everyone is in a pretty good mood and are pretty darn welcoming. Just be confident, considerate and paste a big ass smile on your face...you'll most likely fall in love with the place.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:

Awwww sweetie, I'm sorry you're feeling that way. 2011 was my first burn and I was received with love, open arms and I made friends for life. I'm a newb too! There is a lot of diappointment, confusion and downright anger in some of the threads here, but that's to be expected. Stay positive! Keep your fingers crossed and anything else that can be crossed. :lol: I'm applying for a low income ticket too!

And tattoogoddess, I'm somewhat freaked out myself. My desire to go home is larger than my desire for...well...most anything right now! (with the exception of seeing my mommy in the Seattle area)ave a feeling we'll all get tickets!!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

XnightmarekittenX

Post by XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:19 am

I have a document question, would something like a rental agreement that shows how much you have to pay a month be viable as one of the documents? If so does that mean if there are two people on the agreement who are applying for low income can they both use it for one of their documents? Or would using the same document for two different applications disqualify you somehow?

XnightmarekittenX

Post by XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:26 am

And as an additional document question, they say 3 is the maximum. So what if you have a lot of small bills that add up? Obviously one good document would be some sort of proof of income but for proof of expenditure would it make sense
to maybe upload one file that has a combination of a few documents like bills and other expenses? Like a picture of the bills side by side would that be one document or multiple ones.... I'm confused sorry if any of this sounds stupid Ive never applied for low income before.

KrisMuffin

Post by KrisMuffin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for the positivity, y'all! I really need that. There's just so many harsh comments about new people it's a little intimidating. I've spent hours researching, planning, and budgeting and have worked safety for other festivals larger than burning man in 100 degree heat and 100% humidity. I get it's different, but I'm not being an idiot about this. Either way, I'm going he'll or high water with freakin bells on!!

To the question Above. You can copy two documents side by side then shrink that to fit one sheet of paper. And technically if you PDF the files or even convert to .jpg, as long as they are under the size limit you should be able to create one somewhat longer document than a standard piece of paper that can be scrolled. You know what I mean? I wish they would put some tech specs up so we can plan ahead.

XnightmarekittenX

Post by XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 am

KrisMuffin wrote:Thanks for the positivity, y'all! I really need that. There's just so many harsh comments about new people it's a little intimidating. I've spent hours researching, planning, and budgeting and have worked safety for other festivals larger than burning man in 100 degree heat and 100% humidity. I get it's different, but I'm not being an idiot about this. Either way, I'm going he'll or high water with freakin bells on!!

To the question Above. You can copy two documents side by side then shrink that to fit one sheet of paper. And technically if you PDF the files or even convert to .jpg, as long as they are under the size limit you should be able to create one somewhat longer document than a standard piece of paper that can be scrolled. You know what I mean? I wish they would put some tech specs up so we can plan ahead.
Yeah that's what I thought, just put together a few documents to show what kind of monthly household expenses you are responsible for. What about those who have no documentation for, say, unemployment? If you dont receive any income whatsoever and therefore have no expenses to prove because someone else is paying for them what would you do in that case? Just write the essay part and send in what for your 1 document...?

KrisMuffin

Post by KrisMuffin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah that's what I thought, just put together a few documents to show what kind of monthly household expenses you are responsible for. What about those who have no documentation for, say, unemployment? If you dont receive any income whatsoever and therefore have no expenses to prove because someone else is paying for them what would you do in that case? Just write the essay part and send in what for your 1 document...?
I'm guessing you can only send what you can and hope for the best. They did say a max of 3 doc, not that you have to send three, but i would. I figure they must know the community well enough to know that many people live "off the grid" so to speak and won't have hard documentation. I have a friend that's been almost 8x now and hasn't paid taxes or worked a job with papers in 15years. She's been awarded both times she applied. That was a while ago and I'm sure its way more competitive now. Also, back in the day you had to mail a paper application and a money order, so that would have deterred many who don't need it out of sheer laziness. Make as strong of a case as you can with as many papers as you can muster! Do you have school loans or a high credit bill? I live in a major city thats expensive so I may make a bit more( not really) but the cost of living is way high!!

Also, UPDATE! I must say that I'm impressed with them a bit. I emailed yesterday making sure that because I'm a newbie I wouldn't be denied a low income ticket and they replied today. I didn't expect a reply for at least a week. This is wait I got.

"Hi there. Anyone who feels that they are in need of a low income ticket
can apply for one."

Albeit short, I hope that means there will be no prejudice against new people. Ok, so not super impressed but they are busy :oops: :wink:

KrisMuffin

Post by KrisMuffin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:04 pm

Sorry, i was just Re-reading what you wrote and that might be tough. Think about it... I'm not sure just An essay will cut it to be honest. Not with the downfall on their heads about scalpers and all those will apply for this now the open sale is closed even if they don't need it. How Bout this: can you get an official notarized letter from the Any sort of official office? Unemploymeny? What about an old manager from a job? A Burner to write a letter of your behalf?

XnightmarekittenX

Post by XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm

KrisMuffin wrote:Sorry, i was just Re-reading what you wrote and that might be tough. Think about it... I'm not sure just An essay will cut it to be honest. Not with the downfall on their heads about scalpers and all those will apply for this now the open sale is closed even if they don't need it. How Bout this: can you get an official notarized letter from the Any sort of official office? Unemploymeny? What about an old manager from a job? A Burner to write a letter of your behalf?
No unemployment, previous employer is no longer employed at the old job, could probably get a burner recommendation.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:17 pm

I think it's been said before, but in addition to the documentation there will be a space where you can write an explanation of your situation. Be descriptive, and be honest - they're better at you think at catching sneaky people than you think, and it's probably not worth getting added to the dreaded database of known scammers.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”