Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
arthur5005
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by arthur5005 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

I have to say, this is by far the most depressing thread ever.

I got tickets for both my girlfriend and I, but hearing about all those who didn't get theirs makes me ill. Getting to the playa shouldn't have to be this painful. There has to be a better system.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Nickag

Post by Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 pm

I really just dont get why they couldnt make tickets non transferrable. Seems like a simple enough solution.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello sexies, it's official! I didn't win the lottery. From my camp, about half are in the same boat. I'm going with Nipple's math and agree that there will be a lot of tickets available in STEP, in addition to the 10,000 in March. I'm still hopeful.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:12 pm

"i was sad about possibly not being able to go to Black Rock City for my 15th time until i met a Man who had not Burned yet"
Frida Be You & Me

beer
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kidsville

Post by beer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Just got my email.

Anyone else ?

k.

litlaur
Burning Since: 2009

Post by litlaur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Nipple wrote:Out of the 45,000 tickets released so far, 82 are currently on stub hub. Less than 0.20% of tickets. That means they're in the hands of your friends and neighbors who all want you to go to BurningMan.
...except for scalpers waiting to list theirs until a few weeks before the burn, or after the inevitable sell-out post-open sale.

I'm still hopeful about getting tickets, but there are many more scalper tickets on the way.

meelzonwhealz

Post by meelzonwhealz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 pm

What a way to start my first Burn. No email...No ticket....yet...I'll get one..I'll do ANYTHING for a ticket. .......ANYTHING :P

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 pm

litlaur wrote:
Nipple wrote:Out of the 45,000 tickets released so far, 82 are currently on stub hub. Less than 0.20% of tickets. That means they're in the hands of your friends and neighbors who all want you to go to BurningMan.
...except for scalpers waiting to list theirs until a few weeks before the burn, or after the inevitable sell-out post-open sale.

I'm still hopeful about getting tickets, but there are many more scalper tickets on the way.
With the planning that needs to take place... those scalpers aren't going to do well. They'll likely end up like the ones I heard about in Gerlach last year trying to dump tickets below face value.

Scalping and speculation is kind of a cash and carry business. Not really prone to investing.

It only feels dark right now because people are being told very specificially "No" after having had a lot of time to think about it, and a lot of time between now and when they can do anything about it.

Waiting is, as Tom Petty once told me, the hardest part.

MrBeardy
Burning Since: 2011

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 pm

I will be starting the first ever Burning Burning Man Festival. We will create a mockup of the BRC and burn it on the last Friday of the festival....it's free and everyone is invited. That is unless I luck out and get a ticket to the festival in the coming months, in which case my festival will be cancelled and I will head to BRC.

Nickag

Post by Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 pm

So even though I havent recieved my email yet I can assume I didnt win right? I need to pay my car payment but was going to pay the late fees when I got paid next week. At least I can pay it on time now! Haha.

Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:25 pm

I hope BM understands it will be worse next year cause the people who did not get ticket this year and registerd the amount of tickets they needed will do the same as the others who requested crazy amounts with countless of # of people who they got to register for them, I know for sure I will not just register just 1 ticket again....All lottery requesters this year will have a million plans this time next year on how to get tickets.
I got NO Email that I got Tickets and now I got No Email telling me I am not Getting tickets.....I have other bills to pay can I get A Email now please
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

meaghanq

Post by meaghanq » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Well I gotta say. Pretty bummed. I was buying tix for my two BFFs who don't have credit cards (see user pic for BFF #1). No dice. My husband was buying tix for he and I. No Dice. Just found out a bunch of campmates also "lost" the lottery. Yowza. This would have been my 6th burn since 2000. Hoping that STEP or kind people will take pity on us. I was planning a West Coast trip with a wedding in Seattle as the first destination and Burning Man the last. I feel pretty influx, and just hope that the tickets shake out in some reasonable way.

But... SO SO SO SO SO SO sad and frustrated. I think this system was kind of bunk, and I hope it's rethought for the future. I know sometimes things need a test run to know whether they actually work, but I think this caused some massive panic and will continue to if it is employed in the future.

Wish I could buy you all a drink, or tea or whatever. Let's all hope for the best, I do believe that the Burner community is pretty special and I hope those of us who want tickets get them one way or another.
Gotta Get My Peacocks Somehow
http://meaghanq.com

remi

Post by remi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 pm

It feels like i'm watching the Titanic sink from the safety of a hellicopter that is built to only hold one person.

I hope they smarten up and go with non-transferable tickets for next year. Too many pro's not nearly enough con's to go that route.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

nick

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 pm

I just wanted to say: Fucccccccccccccck I got denied! The psychological pain is intense :)

I guess this lottery had to be done, but it feels like, after ten burns, that this is the end of an era (for me at least).

PS: It's funny that the front page says "Burning man is freedom" -- I mean, really?

One thing BRC could do better: Clarify the annoyingly vague and unnecessarily confusing language on the ticket page blog post. The way it's worded right now is really grating. I would suggest just saying: "The lottery is out best attempt at keeping this fair and managing demand. This is an experiment -- as is everything connected to the event -- we welcome your feedback and we will reassess at the end of this year."

The section now in there about "there will be plenty of tickets in the community" seems prima facie false and silly. The tickets may have been bought by new people -- which is not a bad thing (unless you are a veteran sitting in a pool of your own tears).

Also, might I further suggest that there is no way to prevent scalping (nor, from an economic perspective does it make sense): There are already 82 ticket on stubhub.

The best medicine, for those who were denied, is to visit this thread: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=50370

OK, now let's return to fantasizing what we are going to do instead of going to BRC...
Last edited by nick on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richlism

Post by Richlism » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:29 pm

After following these threads this year, the thing I am most afraid of is that BM will not be the same this year...I thankfully got tickets, but to what? An empty dessert with all new comers and no year-long planned art installations?

I could pay a heck of a lot less to go to a rave. BM is defined by its artistic history and its family. Without that its just a bunch of assess out in a desert....

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

nick wrote: "1) Sign up for the lottery. 2) If you don't get tickets in the lottery, you can apply for the open sale. 3) If that doesn't work, you can try to buy them on STEP. Despite our best efforts, there is no way to guarantee anyone a ticket -- we apologize but demand is too intense."
Wrong order. Step will be up and running before the secondary sale. There will also be likely more tickets in the STEP program than in the secondary sale. (That's just a guess though.)

Misti
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Misti » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm

I don't really like the idea of randomness when it comes to getting something I want, but the people that bought more tickets than they need are really the reason there is so many here without tickets. I don't see how deciding to cheat next year will solve anything, it just puts other burners in the situation you are in now, would you wish this on your fellow burners? Probably the ones that played fair?

The good news is that since the people that over bought don't want a bunch of asshats there with them they will most likely be put up on the STEP program or sold to other burners. You have another chance!

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 pm

BM doesn't think this system is broken. Look at the post's from the Mod's of this board.
To the ticket team this is a success, they've said it over and over again through the Mods.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

EddieSpaghetti

Post by EddieSpaghetti » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:37 pm

This does little for the image that Burning Man is a white, rich, elitist event. Now it dosen't even feel like everyone has a fair shot at tickets. Now it feels like people were hand picked and the left over tickets were just thrown out charging everyone the highest amount of money they were willing to pay. That may not be true at all, still I can not help feeling that way...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Josex Citialin

Post by Josex Citialin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Sooo... No "you are fucking lucky!! Here's your ticket" email and no "sorry but your not at all special" email either. Wtf?

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Bounce530 wrote:BM doesn't think this system is broken. Look at the post's from the Mod's of this board.
To the ticket team this is a success, they've said it over and over again through the Mods.

Huge FINANCIALsuccess for the org. The climate of fear they created meant the sellout was ensured. They either didn't think enough about the potential consequence or didn't care. Whats important is the net result, intentions don't mean shit.

b42575p
Camp Name: Red Rubber Tattoo

Post by b42575p » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Well I guess we played the wrong lottery, shoulda just bought $700 worth of powerball tickets and purchased Burning Man tickets from a scalper with our winnings.
Collectic Mechanic of all things odd, specialties of the uncertainties lost and discovered.

poplopo

Post by poplopo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:41 pm

AUGH! Just got my rejection email.

I am not deterred! I'll just put all effort into getting tickets and it'll happen. >:[
we will all die so gloriously that ever having lived will seem like folly.

b42575p
Camp Name: Red Rubber Tattoo

Post by b42575p » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

[quote="poplopo"]AUGH! Just got my rejection email.

I am not deterred! I'll just put all effort into getting tickets and it'll happen. >:[[/quote]

Us too, but Damn.
Collectic Mechanic of all things odd, specialties of the uncertainties lost and discovered.

xaviermacx

Post by xaviermacx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Just to add my story quickly.

Last year (2011) was my first year with my boyfriend. We bought our tickets in March and we prepared like hell for months, in order to not be total virgins. We learned so much and had such a great experience. WE contributed to the community and were psyched to know even better this year how to do that. We joined a theme camp with some of the great people we met from last year... and now we got a rejection letter. I put myself in for two tickets at the very top tier price (so that both of us would either go together or not), and this is what happened.

So... this year, instead of having 2, more experienced, contributing members... you will most likely be stuck with some virgins or partiers. Hope that makes the BORG happy.

I'm not prostrating myself out for them and playing their games anyway. I kept my mouth shut during the whole lottery because no one knew how it was going to work.

Well, it didn't. We want to go so badly, but at this point we'll get our tickets any way we can.

And if we don't, we'll have to make other plans for the one time a year we get off together. I miss home... and I miss my people... but I'm not going to revolve my life around doing it their way. If I have to buy from scalpers, I'm going to have to do that. Of course we'll wait and TRY not to... but I have a sinking feeling that the March sales and STEP program are *not* going to work out as well as they say they are going to. After all, why should we believe them? Until the last newsletter, everyone was told that the chances of getting a ticket were 90%+ if you did everything correctly. Then we learned it was 60%.... and now, somehow, it seemed it might have even been less than that.

This just fucking sucks.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Man, I am ALL bummed out!

Waiting for STEP (2/22) and/or Open Sale (3/28 - noon PST).

I wonder if there will be any stigma attached to STEP. The so-called "hoarders" (hedgers) may not want to out themselves (for being radically exclusive commodifiers). Who knows?

I was a OK with the lottery until I found out how many registrations there were. The lottery ended up throwing fuel on the fire of scarcity spawning a lot of irrational behavior. There are always unintended conequences, but I'm a little confused as to what can be considered to have "worked really well" at this point. I guess we need to wait for the STEP and Open Sale processes to run their course and then we'll have some final verdict. Right now, it's pretty damn bleak, though.

Fawn
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Fawn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

pandora422 wrote:
Fawn wrote:Trying to stay positive about this whole thing but right now I just want to cry.....Burning Man means so much to me and my fiance. It was where we got engaged last year and we are planning our wedding there this year...........We both registered for 2 tickets but didn't get them....Just praying that the STEP program or open sale work for us. If it doesn't I don't know what we are going to do....... :(

Never Fear Faun - there are 81 (and climbing) tickets available on Stub Hub starting at $650. And no, I do not work for Stub hub, just posting a fact.

I do not believe in scalping tickets, and would NEVER buy a ticket from a scalper for Burning Man! I have only been to BM twice, but I have had tickets 4 times. The 2 times I couldn't makes it, I sold my ticket to a friend who needed for the SAME PRICE as what I had paid for them! It is completely against everything Burning Man should be about to sell and buy tickets at more than face value in my opinion. Obviously this lottery system is completely flawed, and the fact that tickets are on Stub Hub already proves that. Last year the even didn't sell out until July and only then did we see ugly scalpers and price gougers pop up. Now, before even the sale of the last 10,000 tickets has been done we have people trying to sell tickets they don't even physcially have yet!!! WHAT THE FUCK BURNING MAN???!!!! How did this solve the scalping problem??? I really don't see what was so wrong with the old system. At least with the old system if you had your shit together and were ready to buy tickets when they went on sale you could get tickets. Last year I had to wait "in line" on my computer for like 10 hours the day they went on sale, but guys what I got a ticket! And got a ticket for $250! Now people who have planned big things for this year: art, theme camps, weddings (like I was planning on!!!) are being told that it doesn't matter if you have planned ahead and tried to play by the rules you may not be able to go, and worse yet, tons of tickets are in the hands of people who have no intention of going but are just trying to make a profit by selling their tickets.....it makes me sick......I just want to cry.....or throw something....maybe both.....

grenadine
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by grenadine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

From Nipple:
Wrong order. Step will be up and running before the secondary sale. There will also be likely more tickets in the STEP program than in the secondary sale. (That's just a guess though.)
A guess or wishful thinking? I feel like everyone keeps saying that there are plenty of tickets, but I haven't heard many people say that they have extra tickets. Who are these people with buckets of extra tickets?

Bueller, Bueller?

CapnJoe

Post by CapnJoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:46 pm

WELL, we got the hated you are FUCKED FOR NOW, email. I am dissappointed to say the least. I don't think even if we get tickets in the scramble that will surely insue, we will ever think of Burning Man the way we used to. It's become something else now. :(

CapnJoe

Post by CapnJoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:47 pm

[quote="grenadine"][quote]From Nipple:
[/quote]

A guess or wishful thinking? I feel like everyone keeps saying that there are plenty of tickets, but I haven't heard many people say that they have extra tickets. Who are these people with buckets of extra tickets?

Bueller, Bueller?[/quote]

SCALPERS!!!!!!!

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”