Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Richlism

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by Richlism » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:19 pm

'I asked whether they were entertaining any big new ideas for managing the growth of the event, such as how the popular Coachella music festival this year created two events with identical lineups to handle demand. Harvey didn't say specifically that was an option, but he did refer to his essay discussing this year's art theme, Fertility 2.0, which just belatedly went online.

“If you read my theme,” he told me, “it's all about the expansion of the culture.” Among other sentiments, Harvey wrote, “We are living in an age of mass production and consumption that is unsustainable. But culture, as a living system, has the power to create and recreate itself.”'

JaRail

Post by JaRail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Half my camp has now decided to skip this year. Of the ten of us, the only person who was awarded a ticket was a previously-excited virgin. Needless to say, he isn't so excited now and is contemplating if he still wants to go. I'm willing to pay a scalper a huge premium if it comes to it.. so despite losing the lottery, I'll still be going.

This lottery has fucked me (and many others) over roughly as much as I was expecting and predicting since the lottery system was announced. Maybe now all the "everything will work itself out!" idealists will put some thought into the MANY ideas suggested rather than blindly endorsing whatever the org decides on. Whoever predicted a happy outcome with this kind of a system should be fired. Find someone with a clue to evaluate the options. It turns out that karma wasn't the best option to rely on. *sigh*

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Just got my rejection letter(s).

Moral of the story - next time someone tells you not to panic... PANIC. :twisted:

Bitter sweet - A friend played the lottery and won, giving me his 'extra' winnings. I have a ticket, but I still feel sick - something is not right about all of this.

Sad to see so many without, and wondering what things will be like out there, what and who will be missing because of the way this was done.. certainly not the same. Hopefully the dots between normal event growth and this crazy high demand for tickets gets connected in a positive way quickly.

Hope everyone in here gets their tickets, somehow, someway.
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...

BadGoat

Post by BadGoat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Guess I forgot to be scared enough to get tix. I only put in for two - one each for my wife and I. Everyone else ordered two per person interested in attending. I've learned my lesson: FEAR ALWAYS WINS. Disappointed, disgusted, and not really feeling like hunting for tix. It's been 10 times in a row for me. Last year was fantastic. Maybe this is the year I stop going to BurningMan?

lalanalla
Burning Since: 2009

Post by lalanalla » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Well, no rejection letter yet. Could no news be good news? It's hard to remain optimistic at this point. The silence just fuels the conspiracy theorist in me. As far as I know, no one in my camp got tickets. (So no one with extras to buy from.) Silly us for not padding our odds and only requesting what we need. So far as I can tell only 3 people I know in life got tickets. (1 whom I don't know that well.) I guess the event will sell out even earlier than last year. (One of the reasons for this lottery, wasn't it?) I don't feel resentment towards fellow burners who did get tickets, they beat the odds I guess, but I resent those who have no intention of going and just want to make a little money. I also resent those that were naive enough to think this was the best solution. (I'm I'm just preaching to the choir now.) I'm incredibly disappointed, as many of us are today, and I'm a little emotionally drained from being so worked up over the last couple days. I haven't felt this way since my last bad break up many years ago. The whole having to pay to resell is just salt on an open wound. (But hey, I'd gladly pay whoever put up the ticket that money back.)

On the overly optimistic side, some friends of mine got tickets three days before the event last year, sold out and all. (They got them at face value if I remember correctly.) So I'll just see what happens, save some more money though I refuse to buy from a scalper.

Trying to stay positive. (I want to cry, cause I'm a girl and I want to go home.)

PS to those who keep telling us ticketless masses to stop whining, I'll stop "whining" when I get my ticket home, so deal with it. (Or don't. Do whatever you want, it's Burning Man.)

* Just got my rejection letter, funny that we've adopted "rejection letter" as the term. Now I REALLY want to cry.
Last edited by lalanalla on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

Freefall_Burner

Post by Freefall_Burner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:30 pm

My bank said a charge tried to come through but my exp date was wrong. I checked it over several time when i registered and it was right, WTF

Gadget
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: SideShow

Post by Gadget » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I am stumped, I received the rejection letter, but I have a pending charge of $1.01on my card. Did they charge everyone who entered the lottery for $1.01? did I miss something here??? :?:
If I do not get the tix, then fine, I don't need to play this game, but I will report the charge as fraud, even for $1.01, I did not sign up to be disappointed, AND have my money taken!
Seriously... WTF??
"Gadget"
"Train of Thought" art car creator
Camp Sideshow Infrastructure lead

rdosser

Post by rdosser » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Most of the people in our camp - which totals about 50 people - have reported that they have *not* won, myself included. I have to assume that most tickets have gone to scalpers.

A lot of our folks are giving up in disgust. Why plan, work and spend when you don't know if you'll be able to get a ticket?

gravityzero

Post by gravityzero » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 pm

IMHO I think the whole lottery system needs to be reviewed. Lets re-examine why this happened:
Tickets went on sale in January 2011.
February, tickets were still available
March, tickets were still available
April, tickets were still available
May, tickets were still available
June, tickets were still available
July, tickets finally sold out.

Once tickets sold out in July, chaos ensued and re-sold ticket prices went through the roof. We have to remember that this was also the 25th anniversary, which drew a larger crowd.
I really don't see why there was a need for change? Do You? Anyone who wanted a ticket last year, had months to obtain one from the vendor at a fairly reasonable price.
So why was it necessary to draw more attention by enforcing a lottery system? Now instead of the tickets being scalped after July, they are being scalped in February.
I feel like I've finally arrived... wait it's not August.

Froves
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Froves » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

well i got rejected, twice..... i sent a message back though, haha it was short and simple, two words, one finger. haha
FUCK YOU :mrgreen: i hear its the new fad
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi

Mew

Post by Mew » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm

*WARNING* the following post is laden with self-pity and whining...

When I moved in with my friend November 2010 her and her then boyfriend were still fresh off of a glorious Playa experience. I remember looking through their pictures and just being amazed by it all. I had seen pics from the Playa before but didn't know that is what they were. Now I knew and it seemed like a grand amazing adventure!

I met tons of burners over time and loved all of them pretty much immediately. I didn't get to go to any of the regional events but figured the "big burn" would be enough... So 2011 BM rolls around but my cash flow does not. No worries! Always next year right? 2012 BM here I come! :)

Then the announcement of the lottery and my heart sank. But stay positive I told myself. I started arranging my playa clothes and thinking about what necessities to pack and how not to have MOOP and all of that. I tried to chi flow and 3-part breath myself calm but apparently it didn't work well enough for the universe to grant me my first Burn experience.

There is the part of my brain that says "there is still hope" and there is a part of my brain that says "if it doesn't happen, it wasn't meant to happen and I should enjoy where I am as my perfect place" ... I know in the grand universal scheme of things this is so small but wow it is so hard to take right now. :cry:

JaRail

Post by JaRail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:41 pm

One other fun fact. My girlfriend has been planning a giant trip so she wouldn't be able to attend this year. I asked her to enter the lottery in support of our camp. She thought it unnecessary and didn't enter. Since we got 1 ticket for 10 people, she now feels like shit for not trying to help out. Thanks for that too.

Mew

Post by Mew » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

JaRail wrote: I'm willing to pay a scalper a huge premium if it comes to it.
. . . :(

tahobob

Post by tahobob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm sure the STEP program is a lovely thing, but there are already tickets on eBay, and they're running $650 - $1500. I imagine they'll be going up from there. A little out of my price range. FAIL!!!

svenj

Post by svenj » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:44 pm

I had several groups of amazing friends attend Burning Man last year. Several of them having done so in years past, but the number for 2011 was amazing. I found myself in a position with time and income now that I'm employed and thought: this is it! I can sign up and go experience Burning Man for myself! No waffling or chickening out, just go! I wanted to make sure I got a ticket so I figured it was worth the potential of paying more, but I got the email saying I was not selected for a ticket. Thank you, Burning Man for building my hope expertly and encouraging me to come join you and then crushing my ability to actually attend. Bravo. Bravo. :(

JaRail

Post by JaRail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm

AntiM wrote:Just a random thought, are those who were denied tickets going to be the squeaky wheels and skew the perception of how many burners got tickets? 10 people shouting is louder then 1000 people rejoicing? And not on eplaya?
I was bitching about the system before the lottery was ran. I planned to continue bitching either way, win/lose. I lost but that doesn't change much. Stupid system, stupid result. If I'd won, I'd probably be MORE vocal that despite a favorable outcome for me, I'm still pissed off at how the org has decided to treat us.
Last edited by JaRail on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reidflys

Post by reidflys » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

I didn't get a ticket and I feel sad.
I've always used burning man to help me grieve my deceased every year.
I lost my greyhound this year. I need to find someone to take his pic to the temple
for me this year. I'm looking at ways to be more adaptive. I appreciate the gifts I have
taken from there the last 3 years. I only send love to all you burners this year. I love you
all.
Reid "Poetic Justice"
Camp Walter

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:51 pm

tahobob wrote:I'm sure the STEP program is a lovely thing, but there are already tickets on eBay, and they're running $650 - $1500. I imagine they'll be going up from there. A little out of my price range. FAIL!!!
It remains to be seen if this is a temporary bump or permanent. Right now with the news as it is, of course people are running it up the flag pole. Check ebay for terms of use, they may not be able to sell something they don't have in hand. Tickets haven't been printed yet--no one has them in hand. So if it's not okay by ebay, you can vent your frustrations by reporting their posts. Let us know how it works out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gravityzero

Post by gravityzero » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:52 pm

I'll bitch for others, because it should be stated. What some don't understand is now it is going to be risky, even for those who've obtained a ticket.
I try to participate more and more every year, but being from Nashville it is highly unlikely I will ever build a mutant vehicle or large theme installation.
Now I read posts where those that do, might not be able to attend this year due to unavailable tickets. It becomes a risky investment for all involved.
I feel like I've finally arrived... wait it's not August.

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:53 pm

[quote="JaRail"][quote="AntiM"]Just a random thought, are those who were denied tickets going to be the squeaky wheels and skew the perception of how many burners got tickets? 10 people shouting is louder then 1000 people rejoicing? And not on eplaya?[/quote]

I was bitching about the system before the lottery was ran. I planned to continue bitching either way, win/lose. I lost but that doesn't change much. Stupid system, stupid result. If I'd won, I'd probably be MORE vocal that despite a favorable outcome for me, I'm still pissed off at how the org has decided to treat us.[/quote]

100% agreed. I'd be applauding the system if only 10 people out of 1000 got tickets - would mean there would be plenty for them in the March Sale.
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...

JaRail

Post by JaRail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:53 pm

tahobob wrote:I'm sure the STEP program is a lovely thing, but there are already tickets on eBay, and they're running $650 - $1500. I imagine they'll be going up from there. A little out of my price range. FAIL!!!
The 'nice' thing about the STEP program is that the people/scalpers who had many entries in the main lottery will now ALSO have many priority entries there. STILL no non-transferable tickets = continued pain. Essentially all the lottery losers will enter STEP. It's clear that the distribution is entirely screwed up right now. It'll be a long while before camps stabilize with an appropriate number of tickets. And all this time, more and more tickets will be moved to 3rd party sales. I'm still very much expecting that the VAST majority of tickets requests made through STEP will go unfulfilled.
Last edited by JaRail on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davink

Post by davink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Got my email.. bummer. Still might keep trying, or take it as a sign to go to High Sierra, a regional, South America, somewhere else to enrich my soul. Might be more fun to make 2013 my first burn, anyway. I've waited this many years, what's the hurry?

So who's going to start the Debbie Downer camp, where everyone can sulk over their missing crew? :P

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:01 pm

Now it's official:
"We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets. But remember this isn't the end - other people bought a lot of extra tickets; now their friends will be able to attend too which will make the STEP program a moot point. Sorry for the lottery snafu. Sorry in advance for the next ticket sales round which will sell out before you can log on."
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

Spritle712

Post by Spritle712 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

I got my rejection letter. I'm crushed. I registered at the $390 level just to be careful. :( :( :(

JaRail

Post by JaRail » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:Now it's official:
"We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets. But remember this isn't the end - other people bought a lot of extra tickets; now their friends will be able to attend too which will make the STEP program a moot point. Sorry for the lottery snafu. Sorry in advance for the next ticket sales round which will sell out before you can log on."
Well put!

OaklandPurple

Post by OaklandPurple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:15 pm

still no email. at least i got to go the last 2 years.. oh well. guess theres always regionals. will keep trying i suppose. absolutely RETARDED system.

dunkk

Post by dunkk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:17 pm

I've been going to burning man for 10 years. I buy my ticket like any other event and then go. I expect no favors, no special price, no charity. Just a ticket. Why do I feel like a second rate citizen. Why do I feel like a circus dog forced to jump through hoops and do little tricks to get a fucking ticket. Not sure I want your little doggie treats now.

OaklandPurple

Post by OaklandPurple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:22 pm

SpacemanSpliff wrote:I didn't get a ticket.

But that's not why I'm angry. I'm angry for a number of reasons, but not that.

I'm angry because the Burner community came up with dozens of perfectly workable solutions to the problem of distributing tickets (Glastonbury-style is my favorite), and BMORG studiously ignored every suggestion. I'm angry because as soon as the lottery system came out, the Burner community screamed that everyone was just going to register multiple times, and BMORG ignored them, too. I'm angry because BMORG had the audacity to claim that they were surprised when people signed up for 150,000 tickets via the lottery. I'm angry because BMORG clearly cares more about whether their servers crash than keeping tickets out of scalpers' hands. I'm angry because as one of the organizers of a 150 person, five-digit budget camp, I don't think we're going to be able to go as all out as previous years—fewer people means less money means a less impressive camp. And I'm angry because, after reading this thread, it's obvious we're not the only big camp in this predicament. I'm angry because there are already 80+ tickets on stubhub going for a minimum of $600. I'm angry because BMORG continues to trumpet STEP as the solution to everyone's ills, when it's painfully obvious that any extra tickets out there are in the hands of scalpers, not the community (have you seen any mention of non-scalpers with extra tickets? Me nether). I'm angry because BMORG royally screwed the pooch on this one, possibly doing permanent and irreversible damage to BM, and has yet to even apologize for their mistake.

I'm not angry because I don't have a ticket. I'll probably get a ticket. I'm angry because I think I might have just witnessed the beginning of the end of Burning Man.
sup dude its jake bongs friend lol

Mosin
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Mosin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Add myself and eight of our crew to Debbie Downer Whine Bar Encampment. :shock:
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....

Playa Fred

Post by Playa Fred » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:26 pm

OK I never got any email saying yes or no on tickets. I think I'm ass out huh?

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”