Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Postby Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:10 pm

Thank you for my double rejection emails! I am so excited I got 2 rejection emails and I didn't even ask for one
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby pink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:11 pm

MiguelMenendez wrote:This SUCKS. 8 of the 15 people I was going to go with got rejected.

Maybe if we were richer...

Maybe if we had more available credit...

Maybe we could game the system like everyone else...

It sucks to be told I can't go home.

Fuck everything about this.

Hell, that's not bad. So far, our camp only has 8 confirmed tickets out of about 30 people. And that seems to be the ratio I've been reading; camps got about 30% of needed tickets. Which comes out to a rough 120,000 tickets applied for? :?: :?: :?:
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

mournlight

Crypto, moderators, long-timers

Postby mournlight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:21 pm

There are a lot of posts from newbies. Not to discount them, but what about those of you who've been around for a long while? Got tickets? No tickets?
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm

jkisha wrote:No tickets for John and I. We've already started booking alternate vacations.

Oh, my dear. :|

I find all this news of camps hacked to bits to be quite upsetting.

I know we have argued this to death here over the past few months, but... the emotional cost of this lottery is really enormous. Much has been lost here that can never be regained.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Donna Matrix
Burning Since: 2004

Postby Donna Matrix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 pm

I'm telling you. The BMorg is maneuvering to sell BM to some undisclosed Non-profit. They want to maximize their profits.

THE DIRTY RAT BASTARDS!

And no, my daughter and I did not get tickets.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:30 pm

pink wrote:
MiguelMenendez wrote:This SUCKS. 8 of the 15 people I was going to go with got rejected.

Maybe if we were richer...

Maybe if we had more available credit...

Maybe we could game the system like everyone else...

It sucks to be told I can't go home.

Fuck everything about this.

Hell, that's not bad. So far, our camp only has 8 confirmed tickets out of about 30 people. And that seems to be the ratio I've been reading; camps got about 30% of needed tickets. Which comes out to a rough 120,000 tickets applied for? :?: :?: :?:

Our ratio out of 45 people was even worse. Fucking joke.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

scottslc

Postby scottslc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:32 pm

That makes no sense. They would have made just as much money selling tickets the way they did last year. Since it maxed out last year, their not going to sell more tickets this year. They just fucked up is all. big time. btw, 4 out of 20 in our camp got tickets...

Donna Matrix

Postby Donna Matrix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 pm

How can this low rate for camp be? The numbers are just not adding up.

Sasha Amara

Postby Sasha Amara » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:35 pm

BMOrg is going to sell every last ticket that they have and will have done so at the highest prices in BM history. Do you think that THEY think that they screwed up? They are laughing all the way to the bank, I am sure. Sad as it is...To them, this "lottery" bullshit is a raging success.
Sasha Amara & Dan Dead

spacecat

Postby spacecat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Rambling pointless video commentary just posted to the Burning Blog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1fbKP3Vfc

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/prep ... icket-day/

Thanks for the positivity, buddy. Got any tickets?

boliviasam

Postby boliviasam » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Leave it up to a committee to fuck up a good thing. After 9 years at BM, I'm not invited back? Huh? The ticketing process should be a no-brainer. Sell the tickets at one price fits all. Done. I wanted the ticketing done with. Now I have to wait till end of February...oh, wait...end of March. Oh, maybe not even then. So members of my camp won't be going. Don't know if I should work on my project. Don't know if I should schedule time off. What were these idiots thinking? Oh, that's right, they weren't. Shuffle the deck, make every one pay as much as possible, and keep everyone guessing. What a fucked up organization. Suspiciously like the society we're trying to escape. Good riddance, BM.

selectricity

Postby selectricity » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 pm

The organizers clearly treated this like it was a concert sale instead of an event largely dependent on theme camps and communities.

If 15 people out of 30 in a camp didn't get a ticket, how are those 15 people with tickets even going to begin to plan a large scale project, if they can't count on half of their crew being able to go?

It seems like the old system may have had problems, but this solution has not been thought out very well at all, contrary to whatever BMORG says. You need to look at WORST CASE SCENARIOS and work from there.
Last edited by selectricity on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socks

Postby socks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:44 pm

Please fellow burners dont count on the march sale .The scalpers bots are waiting now to grab them all
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Sasha Amara wrote:BMOrg is going to sell every last ticket that they have and will have done so at the highest prices in BM history. Do you think that THEY think that they screwed up? They are laughing all the way to the bank, I am sure. Sad as it is...To them, this "lottery" bullshit is a raging success.

Reason for my new sig line

What other people think about you is none of your business.

dekajed

Postby dekajed » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

A lot of us burners are freelance, self employed day playing contractor types. A lot of us don't know if we can afford to go at even the cheapest price until mid year. This system as effectually canceled out artists and performers on a large scale. BMAN was, for me, a lot about meeting people. Like minded or not it was a great cross section of humanity. This policy has greatly diminished the diversity and random ass fuckery.

NocturnalHunter

Postby NocturnalHunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I appreciate all the positive posts from folks telling everyone that they will have their chances to get tickets. Positivity is an excellent thing. But.. (there is always a but isn't there?) Let's do some math. Yes, these numbers are extrapolated from posts on this board and others, but I feel the numbers are not too far off. If one reads through all the various threads, both positive and negative, we see many folks posting numbers relating to friend and large groups being denied tickets through the ticketing process. On average, looking at these numbers, we see a roughly 30% acquisition for these groups and families. That would leave, again admittedly rough, a 70% rate of denial of ticket acquisition. If we can be allowed to extrapolate a bit further, we can probably believe this 30% represents a close to accurate number of the overall success:failure rate. Therefore, if 30% of the overall ticket buyers were successful, and that same 30% purchased 40,000 tickets how many does that mean were not successful? The 70% would therefore represent a total of 93,333.33 of unsuccessful buyers. With that number in mind, even if ALL of the extra ticket buyers were to sell their tickets on STEP, the number required to fill the needs of the 93,333 is woefully short.

Sure these numbers might be high or low, but I somehow don't think they are too far off..

/sadness

junglebrad

Postby junglebrad » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:03 pm

We received the reject notice a couple of hours ago. We were positive and excited since we registered for 2 tickets (one each). This has been the longest, most drawn-out disappointment imaginable. It's hard to stay positive about STEP or the secondary sale, since the same fucking thing will probably happen then too.

People have given several good suggestions about how to run the ticket sales. Have your name on it, show some ID at the gate, require a membership. Hell I have one too: Those wanting Burning Man tickets must attend a regional or something similar and receive a password from someone there. This password will be required to buy your ticket. No scalp problem there! I don't know, it's probably a bad idea... but any idea is better than this year's shit system. Now everyone is jaded and things don't seem the same anymore. It's a crying shame.
...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...

~Bill Hicks

shimmer9

Postby shimmer9 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm

I received my email. Actually I received two emails, duplicates. I only registered once. I hope the STEP initiative actually works. I will definitely do the Open Sale, last year I was successful in getting two tickets at the lowest price in the first five minutes. Luck be with me, I'm eager to be back on the Playa with Hushvillians, Penguins and GPE.

skeive

Postby skeive » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Well, my camp went 1 ticket out of 14 requested. None of the 14 are virgins. We have 3 who have been going 5 years or more, 1 four year, and the others would be returning for their second burn. I am not sure what the odds of ending up 1 for 14 tickets is given that I don't know that they have published the full numbers of requests per tier but 1 for 14 is pretty god awful. Trying to find 13 tickets on the secondary market might just be more than we can hope for.

Seriously....1 for 14?

As for those saying that the BMORG tried their best, I will concede that point for the sake of argument. If that is the case I would suggest we need a much better BMORG than we have as this was atrocious. I am pretty sure that there are enough software engineers/programmers/system engineers amongst the Burning Man community that we could have crowd sourced a solution that would have been ten times better than this travesty. I for one raise my hand!

And what kind of consolation is being allowed early access to the STEP system when it sounds like tens of thousands of people are in the same boat and we are all desperately hoping that the tickets we need are all in the hands of kind hearted folks. Frankly I see BMORG's faith in the STEP system as an abdication of their responsibilities to the community. They have washed their hands of any blame and look to the community to fix their folly.

Sigh....

Skeive

hello_Chip

Postby hello_Chip » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:09 pm

I got the e-mail subject line notice on my phone and was ecstatic! thinking I got my tickets. It wasn't until much later when I was on a computer that I was able to read the e-mail notice ... only to find out I got nothing. Well, worse than nothing - I was REJECTED :cry: Please return me to the blissful ignorance.

With this lottery system, think of all the time, energy, uncertainty, and stress those of us without tickets will waste. Under previous year's ticket rush at least that time and energy would have been put to more positive preparations for going home. I wonder how this will affect the mood on the playa this year?

For those of us without tickets, welcome to the ongoing uncertainty and constant threats that most animals live with every day in mother nature!

For those of you with tickets, enjoy!

factoid
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Swing City

Postby factoid » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Well, fuck.

Fuckly fuckles.

Welcome to Fuckleton, population MY ENTIRE FAMILY.

Fuckarino - the mystery particle more deadly to my pre-burn joy than gamma rays.

Fucketa fucketa fucketa fucketa.

Fuck.

"DEAR Mack,

We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets. But remember this isn't the end - you still have other options for acquiring tickets!"

Apparently 8 burns in 15 years, multiple volunteering and bringing not one but two goddamn art cars mean nothing compared to all the panicking burners who OVERREGISTERED and all the scalpers who do as the leeches do.

So, fuck.

STEP, schmep.

I'm too bummed to consider waiting another 4 weeks to find out if we can have a 9th burn.

So ... fuck.

There. Got that out of my system.

I feel so much better now.

No, I really don't.

Fuck.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... F7V4KpSd2A
::: mack reed, Los Angeles
::: http://xylovan.com
::: http://snapcious.com
::: http://heavylittleobjects.com

Simmer
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Simmer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

This whole thing is just so stressful..we have a village..HAD..and theme camps in the village of course..and now..well..so many havent gotten tickets that
its almost a state of suspended disbelief...how to plan ?... and all the stress over the multiple wait periods..omg !!! now we wait until Feb 22..then hold our collective
breath .. stress !!.. and then omg...if thats a fail..then ANOTHER wait...I know this is all just a rant and is oh, so obviously what everyone that didnt get a ticket is
shaking their head over...but..its good to be able to vent a little...not that it helps..we just want to get on with the planning.. ya know ???
this is year 9..and it would be so awful not to unpack all the stuff we've spent oodles on to bring joy to the playa ...not to have dust filled lungs ??? U N B E L I E V A B L E
and really sad :(

Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 pm

I am still going no matter what...STEP
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

Honey Bucket

Postby Honey Bucket » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 pm

GOD DAMN IT !!! NOW WHAT"S A GIRL TO DO? This puts a damper on things - not to mention any enthusiasm about this event....

I have a suspicion whatever ticket vendor they used did a piss poor job at scrubbing the registrations.

Honey Bucket could have done a better job using the trusty porcupine!

When the going gets tough, the tough use Tupperware!

Donna Matrix

Postby Donna Matrix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Mosquitopilate wrote:I am still going no matter what...STEP

That's what you think now..............

I have a bad feeling........ you know. like those movies where you miss your plane and the plane crashes........ yeah...like that.

robbo man

Postby robbo man » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm building a 4wd art car that will get us in for free. It's called " The Plastic Orange Fence Shredder ". Who's with me ?

BetaBox

Postby BetaBox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:50 pm

robbo man wrote:I'm building a 4wd art car that will get us in for free. It's called " The Plastic Orange Fence Shredder ". Who's with me ?

thanks for making me laugh
See you in 2014

Zebra_Tits

Postby Zebra_Tits » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:52 pm

No one in my theme camp got a ticket. This seems against all rules of probability. 0 for 20. Either the pool of extra/fake tickets is ENORMOUS or something is up here. Like a preference for people in SF or something? How could tickets be available into the summer last year and this year 40,000 tickets are sold by January and NO ONE in my camp has a ticket. Lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. This is a disaster. =(

darkfred62

Postby darkfred62 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Well I didn't get one Waaaaaahhhh!

Fuck it. I'll just go to the regional.
Last edited by darkfred62 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wrath

Postby Wrath » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Zebra_Tits wrote:Like a preference for people in SF or something?

I'm in SF, and I have no ticket.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”