Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
lhorthy

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by lhorthy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Of the 27 people who are nominally part of our theme camp only one got tickets!

Wow, this lottery thing sure worked out well. (sarcasm)

Burning Man is dead - long live the frat party it will now become!

wandergirl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: dust & stars

Post by wandergirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:02 pm

7 tickets in our group of 23. not including me (a 3rd year), unfortunately.

this 30% thing is really starting to confuse me. if it were just our microcosm, I'd attribute it to bad luck, but I'm seeing it again and again on here.
where are all the other tickets?
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★

benmacri

Post by benmacri » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 pm

So many people are saying that half or less of their camp mates got tickets?! How about if the other half refused to go in solidarity??? Then BMORG, refrigerator, inner circle folks can enjoy their plentiful portapotty party among themselves!

Ya, I'm dreaming. Human nature is: "I got mine, let's party!"

Bman=community?! This ticket process is poison in the body, moderator(s)
Life's Art

juanita

Post by juanita » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm

factoid and robbo man...

Thank you both for the laughs! (I needed them!)
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Crashnburn

Post by Crashnburn » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Well thanks to the poor planning and lack of foresight of the Borg the very theme camps that make Buringman are in serious jeopardy! When less than 30% of multiple theme camps have tickets at this point how the hell can they say that things A-Okay? Wake up and smell the riff caused by this process.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 pm

llightning

Post by llightning » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I would also like to add this little tidbit for all us "loosers"
[youtube][/youtube]

whorder

Post by whorder » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:24 pm

I started working on our art vehicle after the 2010 burn ( our fourth) : 18 months ago. Skipped last year. Got in a big acceleration over the past couple months to have the vehicle and systems together for a local gallery show I was invited to. It was last Saturday, with great success.

This week:
Our group received 6 of 18 requested.

I think the idea that there are lots of tickets in burners hands may be a bit shortsighted.

Shocking, hard day of re-calibrating. Won't be too hard to find something else to do in August.

Peace.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I got a second "sorry" email ... my inner optimist said, maybe they "double confirmed" a bunch of tickets! haha

Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:30 pm

That does concern me is that the great people of BM make it what it is and if 30-40% of them don't go my god BM will change
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - [email protected] Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

verwar

Post by verwar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

just to keep up the ratio, not as though it will come as a surprise to anyone on here but in my core group of 5 none of us got one and in my village of about 30, give or take a head or two I have only heard of 4 successes. But I know in my gut that i will get there this year. this isn't my first obstacle in getting to the man and i know full well it won't be my last. Is this going to stop me from making my raccoon costume? no. is this going to stop me from planning our theme camps block party. hell no! I'm going to have blind faith against the numbers and against this stupid system that I will be on the playa, dressed as a raccoon, sipping probably one of the warmest shittiest cocktails that i will ever had the pleasure of enjoying, listening to the most random music, talking with a guy who has a lobster claw for an arm who's starring at an art car in the shape of a deformed boob because that it where I belong, that is where you belong! I'm not giving up.
Presto Manifesto and It shall be yours.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I have not had contact with everyone, but at least 50% of Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp received denial letters today. In fact, one member got three denials for his single ticket (at any tier) request. About 25% of the Black Rock FX Pyro crew have received bad news as well.

I really didn't think I would say this, but something does not smell right. I personally know too many people who did not get tickets. I will withhold further judgement until the STEP program and the final release of tickets is complete.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

Leo1973

Post by Leo1973 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Just for the sake of adding anecdotal evidence, only 7 out of 50 in our camp got tickets. I mean, those are some lousy odds.
Not sure what to make of it yet, but here is a quote from a great post I saw on Anybeat:
"This reminds me of a dust storm, a lot of noise, a lot of dirt and a funny unmistakeable smell in the air. You really do not want to be in it at first, so most people run for cover inside a tent or rv. Others simply cover their faces put on goggles and wander onward. But either way one cannot help but be mesmerized by its beauty. How the area around you goes from clear to brown to this amazing shade or orange if you are lucky enough to see it. If you go for an adventure though the dust storm amazing things creep into view and are more amazing then they would be on a clear afternoon, simply because you did not get to see it coming, it is suddenly there and you get to appreciate it with out anticipation of seeing it as you approach. There are many things you will miss but its all good, you could be lucky enough to walk in to a dome and find people dancing and join right in, or wander onwards to find a impromptu drum circle hiding in the dust storm. Then as quickly as it arrived everything is calm again and those that were hiding come back out to play. If you were lucky enough to go on a walk you will be caked in playa dust and have a strange whitish brown skin, hair and well everywhere but that wonderful smell will linger in memory."
:wink:

msmohit

Post by msmohit » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I think this ticket system is a total sham. Why didn't BMORG either make the tickets non-transferable (so they could ONLY be sold through the official ticket exchange) or just keep the first come first serve system so those who really, really wanted to go could go? This new system is a scalper's full-employment act. And it in no way rewards the most dedicated burners who would have been organized and gotten tickets on day one like usual.

resynthesize

Post by resynthesize » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 pm

All 5 people in our camp who signed up for the lottery got rejected. This would be my 7th year and others have been going for at least 3 or 4 years. We'll still try to go via STEP or the open sale, but it definitely sucks to be up in the air. It's really sad when you see camps like distrikt posting that they didnt even get enough tickets for their core numbers to build the camp as it stands today.

dust&music

Post by dust&music » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 pm

I am a 13 time burner. I have always defended Burning from all that have had negative things to say about it becoming commercial, or when all the old school burners say that "it was so much better then." However this ticket thing is absurd.

The fact that you can go on EBAY right now and see 28 Stub Hub listings (a ticket broker) selling tickets starting at $620.00 and up, is insane. Burning really screwed this one up.

In my opinion the only way to ensure that people don't profiteer off Burning Man tickets is:

• Tickets are non transferable, and encoded with the purchasers name.
• Everyone is responsible for buying their own ticket. Show up with your ID and pick up your ticket at will call.
• If you can't go you turn your ticket back in to burning man for face value minus a 10% restocking charge, and they can then resell it at either face value, or whatever the tier cost is now for tickets. You could sell ticket back the BM until 3 weeks before any time after that you are stuck with it.

This would require Burning Man to install real concert style on site interface since all tix effectively become Will call. They can charge an extra fee for this which shouldn’t be a problem since there will be no shipping charges.
SIMPLE.
NO LOTTERY, NO SCALPERS OR BROKERS.
What if the Hokie Pokie really is what it's all about?

Mr. Possibility

Post by Mr. Possibility » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 pm

To lighten the mood. Not sure if this has been posted up yet.

ctys20
Location: Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, and if I have time Boulder, Colorado

Post by ctys20 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:47 pm

It's pretty obvious that a lot of people purchased extra tickets and when those tickets eventually hit the market (and they will) the price should come down a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see tickets in the 450-550 range...........maybe less if more potential buyers become discouraged which is already happening as it doesn't look like the $600 tickets are selling. And when you really think about it $600 isn't THAT bad that's only $200 over the highest tier.

dangerpuss
Burning Since: 2008

Post by dangerpuss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Just started a Facebook page to try to get a read on how many people did not get the tickets they applied for. [url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Didnt- ... 53?sk=wall[/url]

solemnraven

Post by solemnraven » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm

I join the whining.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:evil:
"Are you Squidding Kidding me?" -SG

Beef_Pies

Post by Beef_Pies » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Not awarded. One of my campmates posted that over 30 members of the camp--including the camp founder, who's been attending since 1996--are in the "Not Awarded" category. So, in effect, there isn't a camp this year. And this is Tsunami, a well-established theme camp.

I can't help but feel that the Borg's rose-colored glasses are being forcibly torn off--too late, alas! Stub Hub already has tickets. Maybe people won't succumb, and the scalpers won't be able to sell overpriced tickets. But then another voice chimes in reminding me that we were hoping that people would be honest and order only as many tickets as they needed, and look how that one turned out. I'm continuing to be hopeful.

But already, my inclination is to think that this year's Black Rock City may take a serious "turn for the douche." If that were to be the case, that isn't a Burn I want to be a part of. Even if it doesn't turn out like that, look for a big change in the way tickets are sold next year!

Beef Pies
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it too?"
--Douglas Adams

domitron

Post by domitron » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Oh, man, where to start! First, let me make this clear: this will be my 9th year at Burning Man (if I can attend), and I did not receive the opportunity to purchase either ticket I applied for. That alone would have been bad, but also of the 18 tickets of people in my camp, only three tickets were confirmed. Most of these people were long-time burners too.

The ticket lottery is a fiasco. I am not saying that because _I_ personally did not get tickets. I classified it as such almost immediately after hearing the details of it. The short-sightedness of the scheme is nothing short of pathetic. To set the stage for purchasing tickets this year, they ran out last year, so it makes sense people would only try to work the system to get as many opportunities to purchase tickets as possible. This was a GIVEN from the start. You can say you have some stealth technology to defeat multiple ticket purchases, but even IF that worked perfectly--which of course it cannot--the policy allowed each person to purchase two lottery tickets. Given the panic and that everyone acts as a rational person, you are setting your self up for a lot of people to purchase one more ticket than they need. In fact there was a huge incentive to do so since everyone knew that someone else might not get a ticket, so each of us would naturally try to get at least one more than we need. Some might have done so to share. Others to sell.

So it comes time to draw the lottery tickets and the Burning Man organization acts surprised that so many people have applied. Well, sorry to say but DUH!?! What did you think people would do? Basically the system outlined was practically tailor made to trigger the ancient conserve-more-nuts-for-the-cold winter instincts we all share!

So now that the ticket imbalance is most likely in the 10s of thousands of people, the secondary market will, as usual, try to settle the score. And just to keep those scalpers at bay, STEP is here to save the day, right? Wrong. STEP is a pipe dream. If you think come the end of June when the tickets are received in the mail, Burning Man is two to three months away, and the panic to get tickets has reached a frenzy, that everyone with an extra ticket is going to sell it on STEP rather than make a handsome profit of hundreds on Ebay, you are delusional, having obviously consumed more hippie drugs than even I. People who have an extra ticket and who need a little extra money or who don't share the Burning Man ethos outside of the event--and I believe that is at least half of the people who attend--are going to sell their one ticket on Ebay, saying to themselves, "I'm just going to sell this one ticket on Ebay, so I'm no scalper. I just need the cash for gas to attend <or fill in any other random excuse here>"

What we really have here is a recipe for the scalping market to explode to astronomical ticket prices on Ebay come June. Now these probably won't be the scalpers we all thought we hated so much years past, but rather the entire community will assume the role in vengeance. It's not because the community is composed of bad people either. It's because it's human nature to make a buck when you can justify it. There weren't that many scalpers last year, but now there will be thousands of people who just need to get rid of one extra ticket and want to make a few hundred dollars doing it. And guess what will happen? The Ebay ticket prices will skyrocket. I predict come August we WILL see hundreds of tickets selling for $700 to $1500. HUNDREDS! The exact problem that this whole hairbrain lottery scheme was trying to avoid has inadvertently been bolstered by it.

The sad part about this is that it wasn't all that hard to predict this would happen from the start. In my camp, we were talking about it on e-mail threads from the first instant we heard about the lottery. And I am sad to think that the Burning Man crew couldn't have seen this coming.

At this point, I still think I'll probably get a couple tickets for myself and my girl, but it's just going to be a pain in the ass. And for many it'll be impossible to get a ticket despite the fact they were on the ball and would have gotten tickets easily given the former system which awarded responsiveness with an increased chance of getting a ticket. This lottery system rewards blind luck, which seems pretty dumb to me. I mean haven't we already been awarded enough in this life on the basis of luck without purposefully introducing more?

avalon25

Post by avalon25 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 pm

I just woke up this morning (in France) and got my rejection email (twice). Next time, BMorg can be sure that i'll cheat the system, and ask for at less two tickets instead of one. It's stupid, but as in life, that's always the same persons who get it in the ass, those who respect the rules. It's so unfair... I'm very sad and i'm not sure that i will play a second time with step, just to get a ticket for a creative event that is going to be less creative than in the past, because of a fucking idea that is exploding camps.

Let me say it in french : ça me casse les couilles votre système à la con !!

White Bronco
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: WHITE BRONCO

Post by White Bronco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm not afraid to voice my opinions or of being ostracized. 1/2 you folks treat me like a sceince progect out at :o the playa anyway:)

1. Seems like it's even more appealing to scalpers. Look on ebay, tickets are $600-$1600. I'm sure we will see even more big camps run by silicon millionaires who can afford it. Because I don't think young artists who actually have jobs and who can actually contribute something can. Don't be surprised when people get through all this hustle and want even more for their buck. "What I don't get a red solo cup for the keg?!?".

2. How are we supposed to start planning for something that we might not be able to go to? We are not like these other dudes who run around in August 'just' getting their act together. We have our operation DIALED in and it starts in January. We don't show up hoping someone will provide for us like so many of these clowns. We pride ourselves in being self sufficient, being able to help and contribute to the overall infrastructure and providing a good time for whoever rolls into our camp. We need to start rocking on this and because barely 1/2 of us have tickets. We are not sure what to do.

I know the ticket people planning committee have done a ton of work. I get that. The system was whacked and you want to know how people got around it? They used a few different credit cards and e-mail addresses. It's not rocket science. Make it like the Olympics, you buy it, you get your name on it, and that's it. You can not go? Well just set up a special feature to put it under someone else's name who you are selling ticket to, they get scanned at the booth and new owners name will pop up instead of the original guy. Done.

3. For the 1st time I felt excluded in an event where there were not exclusions or rules. Hand picking who gets to go causes discontent. I'm sick of kissing my ANTI-SOCIAL placement person's ass to get a camp space for my people and now I'm stepping and fetching for a ticket. We have to go overboard to show our respect to the BM crew(they do an amazing job and deserve it...not refuting that) but isn't respect a two way street? Total velvet rope crap and an e-mail telling me that the 'playa will provide' is s slap in the face.

Good luck to all of you who did get a ticket.
If I say I'm going to do it, I'll do it. :coffee:

domitron

Post by domitron » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:45 pm

One other thing: given that everyone is worried about even being able to attend, how good do you all think the art is going to be? Answer: not as good as years past for sure. This entire ticket fiasco has thrown everything out of kilter and you can't expect camps to be thinking about how to bring great art to the playa when they are worried about attending.

Corbin

Post by Corbin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 am

Now to wait another 3 weeks...

skyhawkecks
Burning Since: 2011

Post by skyhawkecks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:16 am

Everyone that gives up on Burning Man = more chances I get a ticket.

Hell, I was a virgin last year and I got a ticket WEEKS after the sell-out. It made me appreciate what I was apart of that much more.

FroggyBumBum

This is why:

Post by FroggyBumBum » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 am

This is why this year's lottery system was bound to be a failure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

jdhood14

Post by jdhood14 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 am

lemur wrote:THE BLM PERMITS AND THEIR ANTI-AMERICAN RESTRICTIONS OF FEDERAL LAND RUINED BURNING MAN!!!!!!!!!
Lemur but you were one of the ones who was saying everyting was going to be fine when they first announced the lottery and everyone should stop their childish whining but here you are complaining. I am so confused.

Green Giant

Post by Green Giant » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 am

I don't know if anyone else really thought of this, but with too many new people, big accidents could happen. I've picked up passed out virgins in the road at night, helped people get to medical camps, and assisted anyone who really needed it the last five years. I'd bet that's this year is going to be pretty bad for injuries involving extreme weather, dangerously stupid situations, and all around lack of experience. Only three tickets got sold to my camp of about twenty five so far, so statistically, the amount of helpful people like me will be far less...

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”