Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
JungoRoad

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by JungoRoad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 am

Free concert
"The late change in venue did not give the festival organizers enough time to prepare. At a meeting three days before the event, organizers felt they had two choices. One option was to improve the fencing and security which might have resulted in violence; the other involved putting all their resources into completing the stage, which would cause Woodstock Ventures to take a financial hit. The crowd, which was arriving in greater numbers and earlier than anticipated, made the decision for them. The fence was cut the night before the concert."

-Wikipedia "Woodstock"

Harinama

Post by Harinama » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 am

I was thinking a lot about this yesterday, as the realization set in, and later when the "dear john" brc letter arrived. Burning Man is an "event'. Among my burner friends here in Seattle, i have yet to hear of even ONE person who got tickets. NONE! I realized last nite, that this affects ALL theme camps. How can you put a theme camp together if only a small percentage of the primary organizers even get tickets? This will have a HUGE impact on the way the city is built. Think of all the motivated musicicans, djs, artists, firedancers and freaks who did not get tickets?

So maybe we'll see an ad in Craigslist to this effect?:

"Long-time Burner with tickets seeks to build big established theme camp called "Opulent Temple", which has been quite successful in the past. Need 100+ people to make it happen, who are willing to pay $300 camp fees and work their arses off for a week......"

Right, this will be successful...not.

Self sufficiency, personal responsibility and empowerment went out the window with the lottery for the sake of the "illusion" of fairness.

THINK ABOUT IT.

Think of all the time & $$ we spend getting ready for, participating in, and cleaning up from, this "event".

Do we really bring the best parts of BM into our lives? Self sufficiency, community support, kindness and compassion, incredible creativity, hope and faith in humanity...?

How many of us could do more to bring alive the culture of BRC into our daily lives? If we did, just maybe BRC wouldn't seem such a mirage in the desert. Just maybe we wouldn't pine for that 1 week out of 52 where we have fun, feel good about ourselves, and experience the mystery and beauty of life.

Just maybe, all this work to get to and be a part of BRC, actually diminishes our ability to take what we learn and apply it with intentionin our lives.

Just maybe it's a good thing that long-term burners take a year off, to re-access what it means to them, and to reapply it to their lives.

Just maybe it's a good thing that BRC is in utter chaos this year as the "established" Black Rock City is thrown to the wind.

Just maybe we've already learned everything from BRC that we need, and it's time to move on with our lives and really LIVE those ideals that we get fulfillment from at BRC instead of hiding behind the year-long cycle of getting ready to go somewhere else to do just that.

Isn't BRC in our hearts? Isn't the whole idea of it to reinvigorate our lives and help us find fulfillment? I'm going to work this year on becoming the spirit of what BRC is to me, and worry less about whether it happens only 1 week a year.

I've come to terms with the idea of not going(for the first time in 7 yrs), and you know what? I'm ok with it.
Harinama Das
"inner peace is but a universe away"

Donna Matrix
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Donna Matrix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 am

I agree.

I've come to terms with the idea of not going(for the first time in 7 yrs), and you know what? I'm ok with it.

Same for me.... 7 years running. Stop running... start walking.
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3500/fogobarramenorbz2.gif[/img]

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am

Harinama wrote: Isn't BRC in our hearts? Isn't the whole idea of it to reinvigorate our lives and help us find fulfillment? I'm going to work this year on becoming the spirit of what BRC is to me, and worry less about whether it happens only 1 week a year.
I feel you. I was hoping for this to be the first year that I build my own art car but after not getting a ticket (like most of my friends), I'm thinking about building it anyways but not taking it to the burn. There's awesome local festivals where I am (Toronto), we have a regional, and fuck, I could just drive it around for no other reason than to spread good vibes. Plus, not going to BM would give me a lot more budget for it.

Good things may yet come of this mess.

peculiar_heaven

Post by peculiar_heaven » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 am

I actually did get tickets... erm thanks for the congratulations but honestly considering not going this year (dont worry, y'all will be the first to know if there is a ticket to be had)
It all relates back to that tired but meaningful 'what does burning man mean to you' convo.
It meant a place where everyone was accepted in the least cheesy and most non judgmental way possible.
It meant an out let and a goal for my creative energies for the rest of the year. A big dusty nudge to embark on really educational and exciting and intimidating projects that would otherwise just seem like too much work.
I'm just feeling like burning man is supposed to an intentional community that WE create ticket or no and all these ticket sheningans are getting in the way of that. So shout out to anyone that agrees with me on that point, we need to arrange other smaller events that get those same creative and communal juices flowing. After everything I've seen people works so hard on in the last few years, I know that so many burners out there are capable of organizing their own gatherings.
It'll be sad to give up the diversity and the international representation (and the fire proof -ness) of the playa, but maybe this is a good excuse for people to go out and build their own lil' worlds.

starren

Post by starren » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am

"We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets."

But the good news, "Since you were among those unable to secure tickets through this Main Sale drawing, you will get priority in signing up for the STEP system's first-come, first-served process."

Reading that last line reminded me of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack talking about his round of golf with the Dalai Lama. At the end of the match, the Dalai Lama says to him, "oh, there won't be any money, but on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness." And Bill says, "so I got that goin for me... which is nice."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am

Burners burn!

I would'nt stop building and creating just because of a stupid ticket.

I would build and create, and if I can't go to BM, set up at any random beach or campground and watch the "What the fuck" looks on peoples faces while I BURN!!!

Burners burn! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Donna Matrix
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Donna Matrix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:28 am

FIGJAM wrote:Burners burn!

I would'nt stop building and creating just because of a stupid ticket.

I would build and create, and if I can't go to BM, set up at any random beach or campground and watch the "What the fuck" looks on peoples faces while I BURN!!!

Burners burn! 8)
yes... burner burn. fire burns out the dross.
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3500/fogobarramenorbz2.gif[/img]

dunkk

Post by dunkk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 am

Every year I buy my ticket in January and forget about it until it's time to go. The anxiety and frustration of negotiating this obstacle course has me annoyed. I should be thinking about and costumes and art projects.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 am

dunkk wrote:Every year I buy my ticket in January and forget about it until it's time to go. The anxiety and frustration of negotiating this obstacle course has me annoyed. I should be thinking about and costumes and art projects.

There's no should to it.

Do what you can when you can.

Can't do tickets right now, do costumes and art, damnit!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

curiousgnate

Post by curiousgnate » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am

Here's what this means to me. 2012= the year of the regional. at this point I am going to at least two. also my camp is having a west coast reunion campout extravaganza. Now instead of spending all that cash on the big burn, i can go to more burns, and still see my friends.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

dunkk

Post by dunkk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am

FIGJAM wrote:
dunkk wrote:Every year I buy my ticket in January and forget about it until it's time to go. The anxiety and frustration of negotiating this obstacle course has me annoyed. I should be thinking about and costumes and art projects.

There's no should to it.

Do what you can when you can.

Can't do tickets right now, do costumes and art, damnit!!! 8)[/quote

Thanks Figwart. I don't have a ticket. Do you have a ticket for me?

kitkatseattle

Post by kitkatseattle » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am

BurningGirl wrote:Just got my rejection letters. Two for the price of one. Nice. I still plan to try all of the official ways to get tickets - but I have to say, the double rejection shakes my faith a little extra. If that was not flowing correctly on their part, what else might have glitched?

It does suck to see that this process has burst so many peoples Utopian bubbles. It will be interesting to see if there's an impact to the art and vibe on playa.
I got my rejection too Willow, such a bummer for everyone I know. Even the people with tickets are bummed because most of their friends didn't get tickets. Major suck!

dcooper2

Post by dcooper2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:35 am

Anybody know why many of us who had put in just once, either for one or two tickets, got TWO "Dear Johns" about four hours apart?
Eh

Saguache

Post by Saguache » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

dcooper2 wrote:Anybody know why many of us who had put in just once, either for one or two tickets, got TWO "Dear Johns" about four hours apart?
The ticketing system duplicated the mail prior to delivery. Common issue in many mass mailer software.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time

Mule

Post by Mule » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

As a collective, burners are a creative force beyond definition. The actual burn, is a collaboration of barely controlled chaos that is a culmination of months of preparation . It was pointed out that it would be difficult to prepare a theme camp , with only a fraction of the experienced core recieving tickets, but more importantly WHAT ABOUT THE ART!!!!!! What happens when the various groups of artists are choked down in the name of equality?

How many of the Flaming Lotus Girls were awarded tix? Their history with B.M is long, their contributions are mesmerizing. Please someone tell me that Bmorg had the intellectual foresight to set aside tickets for these artists and others that are a core driver of the community. What of the temple builders? The Fire artists, the makers of things that go boom, breath fire, wash bodies, and cleanse souls and open minds. Oh the places we'll go.............. or maybe not.

However, and I am uneducated on exact numbers, so lets assume for the sake of assumption. Ticket sales are capped at roughly 55k , it would seem last year that demand outpaced supply. Ball Park 10,000 people?? You could look at the growing popularity of BM over the years and trend out the potential demand above supply for this year, assume worst case 25k people( most unlikely as that would be a HUGE increase) . In anycase The actual shortfall of tickets is probably not tremendously greater or at worst slightly greater than last year. The problem, is being a resourceful bunch , burners are skilled in the art of acquisistion. Everyone I know put in for two tickets. I asked friends that had expressed interest in going to put in for an extra ticket for me just in case. Thus the actual worst case REAL demand of 65 to 75,000 tickets was most likely magnified to a ridiculous level, If everyone did what I did, the demand on the lottery would be a minimum of double the true demand of tix. Thus I strongly doubt the current ticket shortage is a reality, it is simply a reflection in a clown mirror of our own creation.

In brief, I wouldn't panic or throw in the towel, or take your ball and go home. Last year I gifted a ticket to a stranger who was ready to buy from a scalper, I'm sure I was not alone. In my humble opinion the secondary market driven by REAL BURNERS and not jack ass scalpers will provide enough playa magic that those who wish to attend will find a way, AND they will find away at face value.

Mule
Last edited by Mule on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fawn
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Fawn » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am

Is anyone else finding things like, 'being at work', are even more painful and god-awful today with the prospect that we very well may not be attending Burning Man this year?.....Burning Man is sometimes literally the only thing I have to look forward to.....the thought of not attending is making everything else suck 10 times harder and shittier.....

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am

tahiti_treat wrote:Damn. This sucks :( Less than half my group got tickets.
Same goes for ArtCar camp :-( INCLUDING me and mine. All I can say is, this new system better block scammers because it's a royal PITA for us regular folks.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Simon DelaPlaya posted to Burning Man

Burn 2.0

Dear Burners and future Burners, Blame Me.

Blame Us.

don't you remember the first time you got back from Burning man? Didn't you want to tell everyone from your grandmother to every pet you've ever had what a phenomenal experience you had in the desert, and how all of your loved ones and friends should buy tickets to the next years Burn?

since 1996, i have been promoting, talking about, ranting about, dreaming about, Burning Man...anyone who knows me knows that i burn everywhere, everyday.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry i wanted to let the whole world know how fucking wonderful that thing in desert that we do every year is.

I'm sorry that many of you now think that Defaultia is Invading Burning Man and that it is somehow ruined.

Guess What? I Lied.

I'm not sorry....I'M PROUD. I"M PROUD that finally the world has caught up to us.

WE ARE INVADING AND AFFECTING DEFAULTIA, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!

we do not exclude, this is not about who "deserves" to burn, because we ALL do.

this is about a tipping point, an Actual moment in History that YOU are a part of.

yes...Burning Man HAS changed the world, it is now reacting to us.

Burning Man hasn't gone corporate as my "never been to the burn" friends like to say.

FUCK THAT, truth of the matter is CORPORATE HAS GONE BURNING MAN, duh.

all one has to do is look at the ever increasing pressure to be "Green" by consumers to note that we were WAY ahead of the curve on SO MANY ISSUES.

i have been made fun of, mocked, ridiculed for the effort and time i spend one my one week camping trip in the desert...I changed the way i lived my life in 1996, many did not understand, many still do not.

well, our time has finally come, we are Too Legit to Quit.

Old Timers, you know there is nothing more touching and sweet than that moment on wednesday when your Friend/Family/Lover/associate or whomever you sherpa-ed to that dusty hell-hole comes up to you and with glistening eyes thanks you profoundly for convincing them to come to the dusty hot noisy wasteland with you.

we all want to share what we have found out there, it is natural.

you can scapegoat youtube, facebook, the sparkleponies, the sound camps, the neophytes or the crusties, The Lottery, Larry, the BLM or anyone or anything else you can think of and you know what you'd be wrong.

It's OUR FAULT for making Burning Man what it is, something truly magical and obviously, of increasing importance.

we did this....we built this city....we made it out of Dust and Sweat and now that it is a shining example of what can BE, we cannot shut the doors and not let the world in...its too late...

from this point forward, it's not about that one week a year, it's about the other 51.

Be the Burn that you Want to be.

btw i heard that this coming year was fucking Off the Fucking Hizzook, and that was from Dre himself...
Frida Be You & Me

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Fawn wrote:Is anyone else finding things like, 'being at work', are even more painful and god-awful today with the prospect that we very well may not be attending Burning Man this year?.....Burning Man is sometimes literally the only thing I have to look forward to.....the thought of not attending is making everything else suck 10 times harder and shittier.....
YES. It didn't help that yesterday was painful day at work just on its merits. I even have a great vacation in between now and the burn that I am having a little trouble getting psyched about. I didn't expect this uncertainty at this point in time, even if I knew it was a possibility. I don't mean to whine or kvetch. It feels a little better to vent a little bit, thanks for reading. lol

STEP 2/22

Open Sale 3/28

DETERMINATION TO BURN AND BURN WELL! I SHALL BE DUSTY IN 2012!

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

I like Mule's post. (looking for the like button)

And Simon... you are my hero!

BM is where u are right now. If not, build it.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote: from this point forward, it's not about that one week a year, it's about the other 51.
In the past you posted something to the effect of... "I try to burn something every day of the year".
I took it to heart. Thanks for the nudge.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Awesome post simon, so very true...So you gotta extra ticket for me or what?? I ONLY NEED ONE :lol:

Maybe I need to go burn my monkey hut as an offering to the playa gods, now where did I put that thing?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:14 pm

Within hours of realizing my email wasn't coming, I had a spare ticket promised in blood. Just need one more for the girl. I'm really not worried.

I'm actually excited to weed out the salty, burner than thou, self entitled types this year like a few posters here. Please, don't look for tickets. Just stay home and let the rest of us find them for us.

Those that plan.. burn. See you in the dust.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 pm

shit jackass, i was denied....i'm looking for two myself.
Frida Be You & Me

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 pm

I really need two but one is a start!! I'm ready for some first come first served kinda action, bring it on!

Isn't there a propaganda poster for this sort of thing? Mr.Killbuck?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Emily Kedar

Post by Emily Kedar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Everyone who is in the same boat as me- ie did not get the tickets we wanted. I am here to raise the vibrations!! I want to remind us all the burning man is about radical CREATIVITY, COMPASSION and GIFTING, so we will all get there! and we will use the values of the community to get us there! and once we are all loving and dancing in the desert we will share the amazing stories of how we made it there, against all likely odds! See you ALL in 216 days! if you want it, you can do it!! love to all, no exceptions <3

RocketChicken

Post by RocketChicken » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm a long time burner and lurker on ePlaya, but I signed up to voice my disappointment in hopes that BMORG is reading.

Our entire camp of 15 people got 1 ticket, and it was the ticket I got in the advance pre-sale, not even the lottery (which I didn't enter, because our camp stupidly respected the "only enter once" rule). From as far as I can tell, StubHub has over a thousand tickets for sale. This isn't a "whoopsie". It's a colossal systems failure on a core level.

I hope the people in charge are working to correct this - either by calling a "do-over", refunding everyone, and putting the often discussed controls in place we need (printed names on tickets, resale ONLY via the BM website, etc). You can quote Brave New World all you want but this system has clearly failed. NOBODY seems to have spare tickets except the professionals who make a business out of gaming the system. Cry "don't buy from resellers" all you want, but they seem to be the only people with tickets. How are we supposed to believe in STEP when the primary system was such a complete failure?

Suggest scrapping the entire thing, going back to first-come-first-served with severe restrictions in place seems to be the only answer. Hoping somebody from BMORG is reading these threads, this is a complete clusterfuck and I really, REALLY hope it gets addressed.

thanks,
Kev.

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:shit jackass, i was denied....i'm looking for two myself.

Wait for em...yll get em.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

OaklandPurple

Post by OaklandPurple » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:08 pm

"Thought just crossed my mind that made me chuckle. Last year people who waited to get tickets for burning man got hosed. This year, they hosed 'em all ahead of time. :P "

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”