Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Minxy

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by Minxy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:21 pm

piehole wrote:SIMON I HAVE DEVELOPED SOMEWHAT OF A BROMANTIC CRUSH ON YOU

I haven't finished catching up on the posts yet today, but I was thinking the same fucking thing! I have fallen head over heels in love with Simon...and I usually don't even like him! ;P

Thanks for that EXCELLENT post, Simon. I've been there in my head all day today while running errands. It was nice to come home and read it stated so much more eloquently than I had in my brain.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Wait until you meet him in person. crush crush crush

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Can people please place a vote in this poll:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 77&start=0

We're trying to see the distribution of requested tiers, and won tiers. Even if you did not win, please fill it out for people you know and have confirmed information about what tier they entered, and which tier they actually won. If you have multiple different cases, please also specify them in the poll.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Donna Matrix
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Donna Matrix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm

cburkey

very good post. read it all. couldn't agree more.

flippant is also one of the new principles.

reality is a hard bite to swallow - unless you're gay

and no, not that gay... I mean gay in the "I am happy no matter what" gay.

you know... in the common sense.

at first my anger was toward BORG... now it focused on stupid ass "burners" or "wanna be burners"

whatever. reality is what it is and no matter how you spin it - it is still reality.

stuff that in your socks and eat it.
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3500/fogobarramenorbz2.gif[/img]

Karlene

Post by Karlene » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Occcupy Burning Man

gymbo2401

Post by gymbo2401 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:41 pm

This would have been my 13th year and the 12th for our theme camp, but it looks like we won't be attending. 4 camp mates have already said forget it since they didn't get tickets and only 4 tickets out of 16 were selected with another 18 I haven't talked with yet. This years fiasco was predictable in that many would be overbuying finding friends and family buying them knowing that many will be needing tickets after they sell out. Though BM tries to resale extra tickets there is nothing to prevent those with extra tickets being greedy and selling on craigslist or ebay knowing that last year tickets were going for over $1000.00. The atmosphere at BM will surely be different with some theme camps not coming due to not everyone getting tickets and there will be a slew of newbies as many that purchased tickets for friends will decide to go and check it out since they already have tickets. I've purchased tickets online on the first day every year they've done the online sales and it allowed for early planning with taking time off work, plane tickets, coordinating the logistics of the week. Not knowing who will be going especially since some of our group will be coming from overseas, may not allow us to register our camp for the 1st time in 12 years - unbelievable how poorly this was thought out. It also questions the heart and soul of the Burning Man organization since they've up'd the prices significantly and seems to be a 'for profit' organization now. Since the ticket sales on Craigslist and ebay were so high they knew that they would be able to raise their prices and try to convince people that they would be able to get the extras through the BM site after the lottery was over. But greed will win out due to many bought extra with the intent to sell them for profit and more will do so when they see the money that is being made. Long story short - we will be able to see the significance of this lottery with less veteran burners, less veteran theme camps,less costumes and true art, and more partiers and spectators. I've vested thousands of dollars in our theme camp over the years and have developed long term friendships that will be broken if we rely on this venue and system, so we're seeking other events that will allow for a more guaranteed ticketing process and ensure that we can all make it. Good luck to all and I hope that I'm wrong in what I've written but don't believe that I will be.

socks

Post by socks » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:53 pm

This was not done by burners buying extra tickets.The scalpers did this.Look at how many tickets are for sale now. BM.org has failed us once again.The very fact BM.org just doesn't give a shit as long as they have their money is the most upsetting part.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

gymbo2401

Post by gymbo2401 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:59 pm

agreed - the system allowed for scalpers to buy with the same odds or better odds if they had higher credit limits.

bluberryln

Post by bluberryln » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Why is STEP opening at the end of the month instead of right now? Shouldn't people know if they have extras? Wouldn't they want money sooner than later?

rakshi

Post by rakshi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm

This is clearly a screw up of epic proportions. Hardly anyone I know received tickets in the lottery. Instead of ameliorating the psychology of scarcity caused by last year's sell-out, they have exacerbated it. It's hard to imagine how they could have set it up better to benefit profiteers.

Personally, I feel like a complete idiot for playing by the rules instead of trying to game the system by getting friends and family to enter on my behalf. I don't hold out a lot of hope for STEP in the short term. If I had an extra ticket, I would hold onto it awhile, wouldn't you?

playa hanjin

Post by playa hanjin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:46 pm

I put in for 2 390 tickets and receive none.

Here are my predictions for 2012:

- Fewer elaborate theme camps
- Fewer big, elaborate art projects
- More Birgins
- More rich "toursists"
- A huge collective shoulder shrug from the Birgins and especially the rich folks, who all go, "What was everyone talking about? It was kinda lame"
- A collapse in ticket demand in 2013
- Followed by a beautiful Burning Man 2013
- Followed by another viral video that gets 5 million hits
- Followed by a revocation of the Burning Man permit in 2014
- Apocalypse

piehole
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

Post by piehole » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:48 pm

playa hanjin wrote:I put in for 2 390 tickets and receive none.

- More Birgins
- More rich "toursists"
- A huge collective shoulder shrug from the Birgins and especially the rich folks, who all go, "What was everyone talking about? It was kinda lame"
- Apocalypse

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Finxiekins

Post by Finxiekins » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:51 pm

piehole wrote:
playa hanjin wrote:I put in for 2 390 tickets and receive none.

- More Birgins
- More rich "toursists"
- Apocalypse
LOVE IT PIEHOLE! HAHA!

Finxiekins

Post by Finxiekins » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:54 pm

piehole wrote:I am so turned off right now
Agreed. My burningman boner has turned into a, while still impressively sized, softie. GOD. Can't I have a boner without someone ruining it? *tears*

Richlism

Post by Richlism » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:11 pm

First, my intellectual input:

I think what is needed is transparency. Transparency may hinder some of the fear-based behavior that has been observed and may promote better consumer satisfaction and loyalty. Maybe consider requiring membership and/or contribution to regionals or the event itself in order to be eligible to buy tickets. That will decrease the number of scalpers and individuals that do not maintain or add value to the original product that this organization provides (or used to provide). Consider some customers as shareholders. Burning man differs from other events such as a mere concert (at least historically) in that it is a community. The event itself relies upon that community to make it what it is (unlike hiring performers, technicians, etc). Thus, a unique community such as this should be treated in accordance.

Past practices may no longer be effective, but the original product is still in demand. However, the recent shifts change both the product and the consumers served. Thus the practices must be changed to maintain the original product. Otherwise, accept and admit that you are dealing with a new product and a new type of consumer. BMORG, do not tout community without demonstrating it yourselves through transparency and accepting the input of those who helped you make burning man what it is (was).

The other option is create two products if two distinct consumers exist. The demand for each is present. One for the tourists and strict partiers and one for those looking for artistic expression and community. OR risk losing half or more of your current consumers. This is a unique system in which the consumer is also responsible for creating the product they consume. Please remember that there is essentially no product that the leaders of BM create. As someone else so eloquently pointed out, those that don’t get it think they are going to an event; those that get realize they are the event.

Now my emotional input:

I must say, this would only be my second year going to burning man, so I am what some may call a Birgin or tourist or whatever derogatory terms are thrown around. However, I have been fascinated with this event for quite some time. Its sad to think I am coming on the heels of something that used to be great and is at risk of being something completely different. But change is inevitable. I can only hope that the principles that guided burning man years back still exist in many of those that regularly attend and even (excuse me if this is to irrational) in some people who have never attended.

I resent people assuming that all new-comers are the problem; mostly because I take personal offense. I whole-heartedly respect everyone who contributes and only wish to do more of that myself. I truly believe that many of you that are "true burners" did not learn the principles you hold dear to you on the playa; rather, like me, you loved the playa because of the principles you already possessed. I believe this is the case with many new-comers.

On the contrary, I did notice in inordinate amount of people there for the drugs and the 'rave' scene and what have you. In fact, a lot of people's perceptions of BM are usually skewed that way. As I mentioned above, I choose not to put those people down for the principles they hold or the adventure they seek. Rather, let them have what it is that they want. And let us have what we want as well. And if burning man becomes what they want, then it is up to us to recreate what we want in some other capacity.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:19 pm

bluberryln wrote:Why is STEP opening at the end of the month instead of right now?
STEP is a plan. There isn't anything to open up really because it's not built yet.

I decided that this is Burning Man, and, rather than running around screaming FIRE I'm going to volunteer to help out. I don't know in what way I can yet, but, some friends from different camps in the Portland area and I are all trying to figure out ways for people to get tickets to burners.

My idea is a call center, staffed by volunteers, so you could call a live human and say "My name is Lucifer. I'm a burner and I'd like to by a motherfucking Burning Man ticket" and a volunteer operator could say "No shit, right? We have one available for ticket value. Rabbit or Carrot? (..and don't fucking LIE!!)"

Or if we had a party where burners brokered tickets to burners, of/for/by burners, anybody who tried to scalp or scam people is likely to get thrown in the fucking Willamette.

Some well-meaning number of people in the ORG were given a nearly impossible task and it didn't go as well as they had planned. Sometimes shit just goes down that way. So what I'm pledging to do instead of bitching any further is figure out how we can help them help us. I live in Portland and will try to get together with other people who want to help.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm

[b]Jackrabbit Speaks:[/b]

[quote]UPDATE (5 PM): LLC board member Marian Goodell just returned my call and said the organization leaders huddled up today to work on solutions to problems raised by the ticket shortfalls. "We're genuinely really putting our heads together today. We're listening, we really are," she said. "It's very real for us, I get it."

She recognizes that it's a big problem for established theme camps and art collectives having tickets for only about a third of their members, a figure that she also confirmed. "It's clear that the theme camps and art projects are a significant part of the community, and this situation is causing problems for them," she said. "That's the part that will hurt us if we don't take another look at this."

Goodell also acknowledges that it doesn't appear there are as many tickets available within those established burner networks as she had hoped would be the case: "I doesn't look like camps are sitting on a lot of tickets." But she also said that she doesn't think the lion's share went to scalpers. "We don't think there are 10,000 people out there looking to scalp tickets," she said. "Putting them up for sale is not the same thing as them being sold." She reiterated her appeal that people don't use scalpers for tickets but wait for community-based sources and solutions.

But Goodell said it was too late to re-do this week's lottery -- "not possible," she said -- even though the physical tickets won't be mailed out until June. She said the LLC has divided up information-gathering tasks now and will regroup soon to decide how to proceed, with options including tweaks to the rules for the March 28 ticket sale or working with the BLM to bump up the population cap, an option that would raise other problems.

"We have many different challenges: scalping, community development, and population," Goodell said, reiterating her concern that increasing the population would make logistical problems like the long exodus wait even worse. But whether that's even a possibility will depend on the Environmental Impact Statement that is expected to be completed in March.[/quote]

http://www.sfbg.com/pixel_vision/2012/0 ... ain-future

latinaburner

Post by latinaburner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm

This whole situation has dampened my week. Somebody shared this link with me and it made me laugh so hard I thought I'd share:

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by latinaburner on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You are the master of every situation.

chile

Post by chile » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Should I get a e-mail either way, if I got them or not, cause I haven't heard anything.

Richlism

Post by Richlism » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 pm

Burningman 1.0 and Burningman 2.0...35,000 people each

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Image[/quote]

I can relate to that dog. :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 pm

CRUCIFY SOMEONE!

nightsong

Post by nightsong » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:28 pm

The news on the BM site exclaims in the article "Burning Man 2012 Tickets: After the Main Sale" "Turns out that people are very eager to go to Burning Man this year" . Seriously have they even taken a look lately at stub hub or ebay? Seems as if people are very eager to make a huge profit and thanks to the ridiculous lottery system this year they will - at the expense of people that actually want to attend.

Who knows how many tickets were "awarded" to scalpers that have absolutely no intention of going to BM.

I know a group of people of 4 that each put in for two tickets...two of them got 'em. Guess what? They have no intention of going to BM, never did - they are looking to sell them at a huge mark up to make a profit so they can finance their trip to Italy this year.

Meanwhile, people like us that put in for just the 2 tickets we needed in all three tiers lost out. This system is a joke, and the joke is on us and on the spirit of BM. Camps can't plan or build as you can't plan on a ticket. We spend every year planning, discussing and just looking forward to it, now we can't.

For the first time in 5 years we won't be going. Not that anyone that created this asinine system cares...as long as they sell their tickets why should they? They'll sell all of their tickets, make their money and it doesn't matter at all if the tickets get used or how much burners end up actually paying for them. Not going to spend the next few months desperately trying to get tickets. Burning Man won't be the same this year.

Can't figure out what moron thought this was actually a good idea. What is wrong with first come, first serve? It's worked before and with some planning those that want tickets can actually get them.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 pm

nightsong wrote:The news on the BM site exclaims in the article "Burning Man 2012 Tickets: After the Main Sale" "Turns out that people are very eager to go to Burning Man this year" . Seriously have they even taken a look lately at stub hub or ebay? Seems as if people are very eager to make a huge profit and thanks to the ridiculous lottery system this year they will - at the expense of people that actually want to attend.

Who knows how many tickets were "awarded" to scalpers that have absolutely no intention of going to BM.

I know a group of people of 4 that each put in for two tickets...two of them got 'em. Guess what? They have no intention of going to BM, never did - they are looking to sell them at a huge mark up to make a profit so they can finance their trip to Italy this year.

Meanwhile, people like us that put in for just the 2 tickets we needed in all three tiers lost out. This system is a joke, and the joke is on us and on the spirit of BM. Camps can't plan or build as you can't plan on a ticket. We spend every year planning, discussing and just looking forward to it, now we can't.

For the first time in 5 years we won't be going. Not that anyone that created this asinine system cares...as long as they sell their tickets why should they? They'll sell all of their tickets, make their money and it doesn't matter at all if the tickets get used or how much burners end up actually paying for them. Not going to spend the next few months desperately trying to get tickets. Burning Man won't be the same this year.

Can't figure out what moron thought this was actually a good idea. What is wrong with first come, first serve? It's worked before and with some planning those that want tickets can actually get them.
If you know of people scalping tickets, report 'em to the ORG. Their tickets will be pulled. every ticket (contract) revoked from a frikking scalper is one more in a burner's hands.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Finxiekins

Post by Finxiekins » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm

pink wrote:
nightsong wrote:The news on the BM site exclaims in the article "Burning Man 2012 Tickets: After the Main Sale" "Turns out that people are very eager to go to Burning Man this year" . Seriously have they even taken a look lately at stub hub or ebay? Seems as if people are very eager to make a huge profit and thanks to the ridiculous lottery system this year they will - at the expense of people that actually want to attend.

If you know of people scalping tickets, report 'em to the ORG. Their tickets will be pulled. every ticket (contract) revoked from a frikking scalper is one more in a burner's hands.
^^^^This.

Taz
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Safer Sex

Post by Taz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi, I'm Taz and I'm a 10 time burner. Let me recap on what has happened with the ticket sales thus far. The general populace overordered tickets thus the bulk of the sales went to the lucky "wholesalers" drawn by the lottery. So the supply dried up very quickly. Before there was a central source where you would systematicly fill orders as they came, now we are dependent upon an army of "middlemen" upon their good graces are willing to depart with their "spillover". Oh Great! That's like you've over caught your limit of fish and by your civil duty , will turn in the excess back to the stream rather than sell the catch on the black market! Why did you think farmers plowed their crops under rather than see the prices drop?
Did you think this "spillover" is enough for people to rebuild their camps? Many will be fragmented until we see the last phase which is a "shark frenzie" over the remaining 10,000 tickets at stilted prices.
Let me tell you how this system failed at it's main goals. This system is somehow supposed to reward the regular attendees to some extent. How can that be when my chances are even out with someone who's never been there? Over the years that I've spent syndicating with "regular" attendees and creating bonds and connections have suddenly been shattered. They're all in the same boat as me. That is, if I actually manage to attend, many of them will be so fragmented as to not exist or change total character. So what is the reward for regular attendance?
The last sale I spent 11 hours on the computer because I didn't realize the system was broke for the first six hours then restarted over and luckily got a ticket. Yes, I agree it was frustrating and highly anxiety for 11 hours but in the end their was a certainty. Now, the process is spread out over a period of about three months. They tell the big camps to plan in advance for alternative processing but instead of perhaps a day or two they might have had to stand by a computer, now they have to spread the anxiety for over three months in it still might result in a failure.
Did we allow for first timers? We certainly did but it came at the cost of the destruction of the regular attendees. But we were doing that before anyway. The only difference is that new prospectives were screened by the regular attendees before they turned them on to the event. All this talk about "undesireables" like frat boys, rednecks, and other that didn't conform to the burner radical self expression concept have now been compromised by the current system.
What it boils down to is that we were better off with the old system than we are with the present. This new system is fair to no one.

playa hanjin

Post by playa hanjin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Taz wrote:This new system is fair to no one.
I'm now wondering if the BMORG did this deliberately, having guessed that it would absolutely shatter the legacy of big, planned theme camps and big art projects.

It sounds a little crazy, but maybe crazy like a fox: do a little creative destruction on your own event. Bring in a huge batch of new people. See if the spirit survives. Make a bunch of money in the process.

Or maybe that's too cynical, and this is just nature at work. It's a little like what's going on in the larger world: too many people want scarce resources, some assholes are profiting at the expense of a bunch of other people, bad feelings result, but there's no way out of the choke point.

playa hanjin

Post by playa hanjin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:30 pm

[deleted]

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 pm

WARNING: The views expressed in this post may not represent the views of this poster when sober. I typically try to be positive and open minded but the combination of sleep deprivation, tequila, and the content of this post have weakened my resolve. I apologize in advance!

Hi, I'm Taz and I'm a 10 time burner.
-- No shit that's just like being freaking a rock star right?
(edit) (Hi I'm Taz and I'm a Self-righteous hypocrite)

Let me tell you how this system failed at it's main goals.
--I don't think you have a clue what the new systems goals actually were.

This system is somehow supposed to reward the regular attendees to some extent.
--Who the hell ever said that? No really, who? Thank you for proving my last point!

Did we allow for first timers? We certainly did but it came at the cost of the destruction of the regular attendees.
--Yes I personally witnessed a "regular attendee" explode in to thin air. Fortunately he did not leave a trace.

But we were doing that before anyway. The only difference is that new prospectives were screened by the regular attendees before they turned them on to the event.
--Its not a private social club where people like you get to choose who does and does not attend (THANK GOODNESS). If it wasn't for new people Burning Man would just be a bunch of burned out 60 year old hippies sitting in the dust. (Please note that I have nothing against 60 year old burnt out hippies)
--You make it sound like we are all a bunch of noobs that want to join your motorcycle gang.

All this talk about "undesireables" like frat boys, rednecks, and other that didn't conform to the burner radical self expression concept have now been compromised by the current system.
-- Pull your head out & look around. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean that they aren't practicing self expression, After all, Its not easy being a redneck-Frat-Boy.

How can that be when my chances are even out with someone who's never been there? Over the years that I've spent syndicating with "regular" attendees and creating bonds and connections have suddenly been shattered.
-- Either that's a gross over exaggeration or you really suck at keeping in touch with people. Try e-mail & Facebook. Or dare I suggest using a phone.

What it boils down to is that we were better off with the old system than we are with the present. This new system is fair to no one.
Time will prove this point. The jury is still out.

You imply that just because someone has been to more than one Burn they are somehow better than a "first timer". I disagree and no longer feel guilty for having been granted the privilege of attending this year. Thank you Taz :D Now go to the web site & read the 10 principals.

Grrrrrrr. I hate me when I'm drunk!

So what is the reward for regular attendance?
-- There is none. who said there was? Be thankful for the Burns that you have under your belt, and try again next year just like everyone else.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:09 pm

the last page of this thread was better

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”