Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
nick

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 pm

It's become something else now.
Agree with you -- but the event is always changing, that's just life! And from sadness will come innovation: Let's face it, there are too many people at the event as it is. Exodus is a nightmare. Getting supplies is super-expensive.

Maybe this will cause a group of veterans to create a new regional? Or set up a new event? I am bummed, but looking for alternatives!

PS: When you are done venting, read this topic and remember how many asshats there are out there: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=50370

Saguache

Post by Saguache » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 pm

jecca wrote:Can somebody please explain to me what STEP is... Thanks
SECURE TICKET EXCHANGE PROGRAM: On February 22 we'll be launching our new Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP). STEP will give Burners with extra tickets a safe, no-hassle way to sell their tickets back into the community, and a way for those needing tickets to buy them at face value without the worry of over-inflated prices, scams or possible counterfeit tickets. Full details will be posted here and through the Jack Rabbit Speaks email newsletter, so stay tuned!

Look down the page here.

Seriously BMORG? I'm here biting my tongue because there's the possibility that I'd still like to go and bitching just doesn't seem compatible with the BM ethic; because I'm frustrated to no end with this ridiculous and ill considered ticketing "process"; because now there is a little seed of doubt sprouting in the back of my conscience which keeps me wondering **if** I actually want to jump through the hoops, potential scalping and bull shit I'm going to need to put up with to land another exceptional experience; and because I just spent the last 36 hours or so refreshing browsers in the hope that my single ticket request at any price would have been honored.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time

CapnJoe

Post by CapnJoe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 pm

[quote="Nipple"][quote="nick"]
"1) Sign up for the lottery. 2) If you don't get tickets in the lottery, you can apply for the open sale. 3) If that doesn't work, you can try to buy them on STEP. Despite our best efforts, there is no way to guarantee anyone a ticket -- we apologize but demand is too intense."
[/quote]

Wrong order. Step will be up and running before the secondary sale. There will also be likely more tickets in the STEP program than in the secondary sale. (That's just a guess though.)[/quote]

BMORG STEPed in it alright!!!!

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 pm

CapnJoe wrote:
grenadine wrote:
Nipple wrote:From Nipple:
Wrong order. Step will be up and running before the secondary sale. There will also be likely more tickets in the STEP program than in the secondary sale. (That's just a guess though.)
A guess or wishful thinking? I feel like everyone keeps saying that there are plenty of tickets, but I haven't heard many people say that they have extra tickets. Who are these people with buckets of extra tickets?

Bueller, Bueller?
SCALPERS!!!!!!!
If it were scalpers, you'd see a lot more entries of StubHub. That math isn't holding up right now. It's your friends and neighbors. They have your ticket. They WANT YOU to go. It'll be OK.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: This was Stupid....

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Camp GFY wrote:Nice to know that the lottery was made to keep the wrong people from getting and selling tickets this year...Some asshole on Ebay is selling his tickets for 15k, "because he can't make it this year" Douchebag
Psst, douchebag had his order cancelled.

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 pm

FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK!
Time for plan B...
If anyone would like to support Foxfur's Fund, I'll be at the Portland Greyhound bus terminal slingin' $5 handjobs. Mention you saw this post and I'll scratch yer belly.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Ninzy

Post by Ninzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm

BMORG did good, this shits already selling on ebay for about 2 grand!
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm

FUCK YES!

That's like... RIGHT BY MY OFFICE!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Man, it hurts to see my friends without tickets.

I loathe Dr. Seuss now.

iconoplastyfervor

Post by iconoplastyfervor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 pm

New system next year please! Not just because I didn't get a ticket. The person who mentioned that next year is going to be much worse (people buying too many to make sure they get one) has a very good point. People will modify their tactics with new hindsight and excessive ordering will probably be the result.

The best constructive solution I have heard is to put names on the tickets. That is the best, if hassle-ridden, way to prevent scalping. I personally would rather have taken my chances on a first-come basis for orders, but I have more available time than most.

Overall, I think it unnecessarily stresses people out, as evidenced by the whole "Awarded Tickets" thread. Kinda silly. There has to be a better way. Can't begrudge them for trying a new system - that's part of evolution. As long as they use constructive feedback to make next year's process better! I would vote on named tickets. It's all going to be a hassle no matter what. At least that's the fairest option, most likely to inhibit scalping.
Drinking for my blood type.

Fuse is lit, Ray. Windows are up.

enalmik

Post by enalmik » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Good thing there are plenty of tickets for sale on StubHub for $700 each....those of us who have been going for years and years can get them there...banished to StubHub. Boy, do I feel the Man's love.

clopsie

Post by clopsie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:58 pm

Time to start a revolution...

Mojojita

Re: This was Stupid....

Post by Mojojita » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 pm

AntiM wrote:
Camp GFY wrote:Nice to know that the lottery was made to keep the wrong people from getting and selling tickets this year...Some asshole on Ebay is selling his tickets for 15k, "because he can't make it this year" Douchebag
Psst, douchebag had his order cancelled.
Excellent!
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

dgro

Post by dgro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Words cannot express the desolation in my soul at not receiving tix this year, especially since this is the year I was going to gift my sister her first ticket!!!
B'uaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAGgghhh!!!!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm

AntiM wrote:Man, it hurts to see my friends without tickets.

I loathe Dr. Seuss now.
It's some pretty prescient reading for some folks right now...
Dr. Seuss wrote:Except when you don't
Because, sometimes, you won't.

I'm sorry to say so
but, sadly, it's true
and Hang-ups
can happen to you.

You can get all hung up
in a prickle-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on.
You'll be left in a Lurch.

You'll come down from the Lurch
with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then,
that you'll be in a Slump.

And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done.

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?
How much can you lose? How much can you win?

And IF you go in, should you turn left or right...
or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

You can get so confused
that you'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...

...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or a No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

NO!
That's not for you!

Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 pm

FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK!
Time for plan B...
If anyone would like to support Foxfur's Fund, I'll be at the Portland Greyhound bus terminal slingin' $5 handjobs. Mention you saw this post and I'll scratch yer belly.
I'll see foxfurs bid and raise it by a head :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

nick

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Hey, folks: I got denied, so I am weeping copiously.

BUT, let's keep our wits about us: BMORG is trying as best they can to provide tickets to the event! They are *not* maximizing their profits -- if they were trying to do that, they could price them a lot higher. For comparison, tickets to Coachella (3-day festival) ranged from $285 to $665.

A random lottery, as unfair as it feels to get denied, is probably the best approach. Putting names on tickets and other ideas suggested seem unworkable.

However, I think preventing scalping is difficult if not impossible to do. I will reserve judgement until I can play with the STEP system, but allowing some market-based transactions is probably the best way. Update:

The stubhub tickets are selling (by and large) at face value: $625 for ONE two for instance (although I do see some markups).
Last edited by nick on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 pm

gibson_ wrote:I'm a little bit disillusioned here... I mean...I tried to play by the rules with this lottery thing, I registered for the one ticket that I needed, I only registered once, I registered at the pricing tier I could best afford.
And yet...no tickets. The people who weren't honest, however, and had all of their group register for two tickets multiple times with multiple cards...they did get tickets.

I'm...a little bit heartbroken today. So is that what I have to do now? Be a dick to the community so that I can participate in the community at all?

That's...awful. I don't want to be a dick to people, I don't want to try and screw my neighbors out of being able to get home this year, but if I had, I'd probably have my ticket.
We STEP happens, and there is an opportunity for me to game the system again (as I'm sure there will be), what do I do? Be honest again and get burned again?

And then end up buying from a scalper? Ensuring that they'll come back next year to scalp...again?

I feel ya bro!!
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 pm

The Portland Greyhound station is going to have its own dedicated HJ area.

I'll come along too... not for money. Just for the love of lending a hand.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

lucky420 wrote:
FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK!
Time for plan B...
I'll see foxfurs bid and raise it by a head :wink:
You guys plan B sounds more fun than my plan A.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

BeyondIndigo

Post by BeyondIndigo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Me. I didn't get tickets either. :-(
Last edited by BeyondIndigo on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware the creeping Britishness

poplopo

Post by poplopo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Man, you people are outraged. Would you have felt this angry if you'd gotten your tickets, still knowing other people hadn't gotten theirs?

There will be more opportunities. Just chill out. You're bringing me down.
we will all die so gloriously that ever having lived will seem like folly.

Saguache

Post by Saguache » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Ninzy wrote:BMORG did good, this shits already selling on ebay for about 2 grand!
Fuckin lovely!

Quick eBay searcg yields the following

Burning Man Festival Tickets 08/27/12 (Gerlach)
Black Rock Desert

1 eBay listings from: $1,997.50
27 StubHub listings from: $625.00
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

nick wrote: A random lottery, as unfair as it feels to get denied, is probably the best approach. Putting names on tickets and other ideas suggested seem unworkable.
Not really, it sounds a lot more straightforward than three rounds of presales (2 lottery,1 first come first serve) in three months, before releasing the last 10k two months later, then another two month wait before anyone actually touches the tickets.
nick wrote: The stubhub tickets are selling (by and large) at face value: $625 for two for instance (although I do see some markups).
Those would be $625 each buddy, not even close to face.
Last edited by Tanzremix on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Getting my belly scratched sounds too tickly

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:13 pm

What I don't get... really... is looking at the institutional knowledge above, those long time burners who won't go, the theme camps that are de-facto gone, the families split up... how those on the inside can keep telling themselves they have a success???

Compared to the frenzy last year - the Org did even worse than what the scalpers did last year. Whoever you hired as your "marketing consultant"... I'd fire them. And when you keep trying to tell each other how wonderful the system was, from months ago when you announced this system and people told you it was doomed? I hear the mutual appreciation society that's been going on, and still goes on, and it's horsepuckey. You can keep telling your inner circle continuing horsepucky of how wonderful it went, but then again, so did Khadafy and Mubarak about how their subjects loved them…

The truth eventually comes out. As it did here. And not acknowledging it, even after the fact, isn't insane - it's anti-sane.

I had a lot more faith in you cats in the org. While I'm glad some won the lotto (yes, you can drop that bit o' BS, BTW, it WAS a lotto) the damage and angst created with this ill-conceived pipe dream made frighteningly real broke the event. Sure, those of us who are on staph (maybe??) don't worry about it too much... but be that as it may, the event this year won't be the same. You will have the same loyal cadre **working** the event, but the ones who love the event, and make it home, well...

Even the ones who made it - who won the ticket lottery - are sad. THAT is not the mark of a success.

OK, enough sadsack crap, I just had to get it off my chest. Just quit telling me it was such a bloody success... if it WAS a success this thread wouldn't exist. That it does gives substance to the lie. Sometimes, my friends, even if it goes against what you want to hear, if someone gives you advice it may be worth listening. After all, that’s the way business does things, too.

Good luck, and see you on the playa. And if you were lucky, it’ll be during BRC. ;)

(Otherwise, we'll have to start an alt event... How about East of Susanville, hear they got dry dusty lakebeds there too...)

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm definitely joining Foxy and Nipple and lucky420 at the PDX Bus terminal. :P

I'll be up there in a month!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Fuck! This is not where I wanted to be today. No email either way and the lotto is closed. I guess this first year is going to test me but I will find a way to get there.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Saguache wrote:
Ninzy wrote:BMORG did good, this shits already selling on ebay for about 2 grand!
Fuckin lovely!

Black Rock Desert

There are folks working to get the stubhubs pulled, as stubhub is not allowed to sell speculative tickets. The other reseller? Just say no, and report to ebay for selling a ticket not in hand. Third seller (Can't go Burner) had his order pulled.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Saguache wrote:
Fuckin lovely!

Black Rock Desert

I am sorry but I will consider anyone buy tickets, out of panic, utterly stupid.
Friends don't let friends buy tickets while under panic.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”