Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Well said, as usual BBS.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Ninzy

Post by Ninzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Oh the HORROR, Burners hating on fellow Burners - divide and conquer AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!

jorgebongo

Post by jorgebongo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Fuck it, let's start our own thing we call it
Freezing Woman
It will be held outside Gunnison Colorado in February.
Who's coming with me?
I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand man.

BarShirley

Post by BarShirley » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 pm

It is upsetting that we missed out on the ballot, but just remember there are still tickets left.
Don't lose Faith! Keep the dream alive!

xxxxxx
To Give, To Love, To Share, To Grow.

bunnypicnic

Post by bunnypicnic » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Well, I guess I'll just get knocked up instead!

nick

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm

1) Please, for the love of all that is unholy THINK a moment: The BMORG is trying to do the best they can to handle the fact that *more people* want tickets then the BLM will allow them to sell!

2) For those who claim that high scalper prices mean that "BMORG is killing it" -- the ORG doesn't get those higher prices (duh). If BMORG wants to maximize its profits, they would just increase the cost of the tickets!

Ok, I am going back to sobbing now.

Misti
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Misti » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm

48_love wrote:Man, I am ALL bummed out!

Waiting for STEP (2/22) and/or Open Sale (3/28 - noon PST).

I wonder if there will be any stigma attached to STEP. The so-called "hoarders" (hedgers) may not want to out themselves (for being radically exclusive commodifiers). Who knows?
They will probably list them under multiple names if it is visible to the public, if its not visible it wont matter.

Dani_Ardi

Post by Dani_Ardi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

7 times burner, 5 times with an art car, 2 times with an art installation... I didn't get a ticket, but guess who got a ticket? The person below, selling for $1000 each

http://www.ebay.com/tickets/Burning-Man ... smaxp=1998

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

I just had a great idea. Instead of a lotto system that causes all sorts of strife and prevents long-time burners from being able to get a ticket, they should just make everyone pay $300, cancel the event, and use the money to fly the ticket team people all over the place so they can go to your house and kick you in the face. It seems like that's kind of what they're trying to do anyways. I bet they could afford some really sparkly face-kicking boots too. That'd be nice.

juanita

Post by juanita » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

To all my fellow burners who were not selected for tickets in the lottery...

Belly up to the bar!

Please join me in a commiseration cocktail!

I was *really* hoping that my first step out of lurkdom after all these years as a registered ePlayan would be to the Official "Awarded Tix" thread... but apparently it just wasn't in the cards for me...

But I am NOT giving up hope that I WILL see all your smiling, dusty faces this year!
Last edited by juanita on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 pm

nick wrote:1) Please, for the love of all that is unholy THINK a moment: The BMORG is trying to do the best they can to handle the fact that *more people* want tickets then the BLM will allow them to sell!
If demand exceeds supply by 5-10% (like last year) that is a whole lot less than the number of lottery losers. Really the above only works if there was a massive jump in supply, like an illogically large jump.

pandora422

Post by pandora422 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Finally got the "your lame we don't want you" letter so it looks like I'll see you guys on the playa - 4th of Juplaya ;)

jorgebongo

Post by jorgebongo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

I haven't heard anyone say hey don't worry I over bought, I'm selling my ticket on STEP I know it's early but it seems a little disheartening to me.
I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand man.

lilysunflower

Post by lilysunflower » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:32 pm

I checked StubHub an hour ago, and already 82 BM 2012 tickets being scalped for $625-1500. Burning Man Lottery FAIL! This new system has got to go! It has only helped scaplers scalp earlier and with higher costs.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm

This has turned into a nightmare. I am more than willing to pay top tier.

What was once a joyful year of planning and preparing while working within a reasonable budget has now become a stress filled bullshit drama event just to get a fucking ticket.

Can't do shit until this gets worked out. All of my plans are now on hold, my budget is unclear, and I can't believe I'm even thinking of doing something else at the end of August....

Just un-fucking-real...

Don't even get me started about the how this whole fiasco has been handled. This system created an obvious commodity that could be resold at a higher value. Anyone with a credit card and knowledge of the event could afford to take a shot at $240 tickets, when they could be easily resold at twice the value.

A big thank you to all who sell back to the STEP program. I really hope it is successful. However, I would not be surprised to see upwards of 10K tickets available in the aftermarket (Not the STEP program) I'll wager that 50% of those will be $240 tickets available from the scalper/brokers who got many thousands of entries into the lowest tier drawings.

I can't believe I'm even thinking of doing something else at the end of August....
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

nick

Post by nick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm

OK, now people are getting crazy: Has this really turned into a "nightmare"? A nightmare is a nuclear war. Losing out on the BM ticket lottery is an inconvenience -- with a nod of respect for those who have been planning big camps.

We don't know how many applied to the lottery and we don't know how many won or lost. There's nothing to do except CHEER UP and wait for STEP (although it would be nice if this was online).

Juanita, I'll take a scotch on the rocks... with some Jaguermeister on top.

Thanks for the drink!

avalon25

Post by avalon25 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm

Got no mail at all… even for telling me that i have to stay at "home"… Am I the only one ?? I live in France, maybe foreigners get the mail later because of duration of bank transaction ?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:37 pm

Got no mail at all… even for telling me that i have to stay at "home"… Am I the only one ?? I live in France, maybe foreigners get the mail later because of duration of bank transaction ?
I live in Northern Nevada and haven't gotten an email yet either...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

skyhawkecks
Burning Since: 2011

Post by skyhawkecks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

I haven't even received a rejection email yet :(

havoc

Post by havoc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

avalon25 wrote:Got no mail at all… even for telling me that i have to stay at "home"… Am I the only one ?? I live in France, maybe foreigners get the mail later because of duration of bank transaction ?
i have not gotten any email either.

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

lilysunflower wrote:I checked StubHub an hour ago, and already 82 BM 2012 tickets being scalped for $625-1500. Burning Man Lottery FAIL! This new system has got to go! It has only helped scaplers scalp earlier and with higher costs.
Perspective: 82 out of 45,000.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm not really crazy at all. Its just that all the feelings I have ever had about Burning Man : Love, Friendship, Happiness, Joy, etc. These are the exact opposite of what I am feeling right now and it is very troubling.

I don't like it at all.

Oh well...
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm less then 200 miles from BMHQ and haven't got a thing yet. So distance has nothing to do with it.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

strange love

Post by strange love » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Why not just have non-transferable tickets?

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Well for the literally thousands of people who lost in the lottery, you will have the pleasure of priority signg-up for STEP on a first-come first-serve basis:

"Since you were among those unable to secure tickets through this Main Sale
drawing, you will get priority in signing up for the STEP system's
first-come, first-served process. Please watch for an email before the end
of February with details about how you can participate in this program."

Yes, that's correct. The BMORG has set-up STEP on a first-come first-serve basis. They have basically gone back to the system used last year for the after-market... If that is not an indication of "failure" of the lottery model, I don't know what is. If this has been such a success, then why not have the STEP process as a lottery as well...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

forge wrote:
Magpie Sparkles wrote:This system sucks.

First come, first served is always going to be fairer - and based on last year vs this year - MUCH less time consuming and stressful.

To stop scalpers PLEASE consider using the system that Glastonbury festival in the UK uses - participants register with a photo. Their photo, name and address are printed on the ticket. So their ticket is THEIR ticket and ID needs to be shown on the gate to match the ticket.

Extra tickets can be changed into new names via the STEP system etc...

I just don't understand why this hasn't been implemented.

I know 1 person for 1 ticket non-transferable. How fucking simple is this. You want to beat scalpers and create a fair system that only the people who want to go buy tickets and go. There you go. This has been used successfully for years in Glastonbury. Why did you guys need to reinvent the wheel instead of using something that had already conquered this problem.
You do know that Glastonbury tickets are assigned by a random drawing...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: You do know that Glastonbury tickets are assigned by a random drawing...
That's it! I'm starting my OWN Glastonbury festival!

avalon25

Post by avalon25 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

it's curious... sending bulk emails is not so long ! What is the server configuration ?? :D.

treepour

Post by treepour » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:46 pm

At this point, I haven't given up hope of finding a ticket and, assuming I do, will probably go and have an amazing time again, but . . .

Every year people say Burning Man has finally jumped the shark for this reason or that. This is the first time I might agree, for this simple reason: demand has far outstripped supply, probably permanently.

It doesn't matter what system they use to distribute the tickets -- the bare fact that demand significantly exceeds supply means that getting tickets will, from here on out, always favor the well-off, create hostility competition, and leave the have-nots feeling shitty and sad.

Moreover, it's hard to see how this won't have a corrosive effect on Burning Man's culture. Maybe it really is time to consider throwing in the towel on the main event and putting our time and energy and love into regional events.

tahiti_treat
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm

juanita wrote:To all my fellow burners who were not selected for tickets in the lottery...

Belly up to the bar!
I'll take a warm gatorade and vodka with a sprinkle of playa dust please! :D

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”