Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:50 pm

nick wrote:PS: It's funny that the front page says "Burning man is freedom" -- I mean, really?
We all know that work is freedom...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Mofessor

Post by Mofessor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: You do know that Glastonbury tickets are assigned by a random drawing...

a random drawing that significantly discourages scalpers

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Ironically, had tickets been FCFS this year at the time registration opened, I'd be SOL. I was away.

skyhawkecks
Burning Since: 2011

Post by skyhawkecks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Bounce530 wrote:I'm less then 200 miles from BMHQ and haven't got a thing yet. So distance has nothing to do with it.
Yeah I'm literally just a bridge away from BM HQ and I haven't even received a rejection email.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
forge wrote:
Magpie Sparkles wrote:This system sucks.

First come, first served is always going to be fairer - and based on last year vs this year - MUCH less time consuming and stressful.

To stop scalpers PLEASE consider using the system that Glastonbury festival in the UK uses - participants register with a photo. Their photo, name and address are printed on the ticket. So their ticket is THEIR ticket and ID needs to be shown on the gate to match the ticket.

Extra tickets can be changed into new names via the STEP system etc...

I just don't understand why this hasn't been implemented.

I know 1 person for 1 ticket non-transferable. How fucking simple is this. You want to beat scalpers and create a fair system that only the people who want to go buy tickets and go. There you go. This has been used successfully for years in Glastonbury. Why did you guys need to reinvent the wheel instead of using something that had already conquered this problem.
You do know that Glastonbury tickets are assigned by a random drawing...
I would rather have a random drawing but with only 1 person per ticket non-transferable so that I am assured that the reason I do not have a ticket is because someone else with a ticket IS going. Instead with this I have a random drawing with many or the majority going but many also buying on the chance they will go or buying because they want to gain an odd advantage or buying to scalp. Sure I would be pissed if it was random drawing 1 ticket per person non-transferable and i didn't get a ticket but at least I wouldnt be looking at now another 2 months of seeing if scalping prices come down or hoping if people do step.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:53 pm

nick wrote:Hey, folks: I got denied, so I am weeping copiously.

BUT, let's keep our wits about us: BMORG is trying as best they can to provide tickets to the event! They are *not* maximizing their profits -- if they were trying to do that, they could price them a lot higher. For comparison, tickets to Coachella (3-day festival) ranged from $285 to $665.

A random lottery, as unfair as it feels to get denied, is probably the best approach. Putting names on tickets and other ideas suggested seem unworkable.

However, I think preventing scalping is difficult if not impossible to do. I will reserve judgement until I can play with the STEP system, but allowing some market-based transactions is probably the best way. Update:

The stubhub tickets are selling (by and large) at face value: $625 for ONE two for instance (although I do see some markups).
I think I'm in love.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

They certainly raised the bar of Cacophony.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Joker6tynine

Post by Joker6tynine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks Burning Man.. Your lotto system is the worst...

The 2nd time in my life I want to go, last year being my first and I did not get picked...

FAIL! Now I have to race to get tickets like the other 30,000 people who got DENIED!

Well, at least I got to be part of the 25th year, which was the best year I heard...

This lotto system still SUCKS and it always will.. IN MY OPINION... NOT FACT!

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Great, now I'll have to wait until march 28th, during wich my flight ticket will rise to $1400 instead of $800, wich I'll probably won't be able to afford.

LadyLazarus

Post by LadyLazarus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:58 pm

We haven't received an official "not awarded" email yet but looks like we have no chance so me and my boyfriend are pretty bummed. We registered for the lottery as soon as we were able to and have been waiting patiently to find out if we were going to get tickets since then. This should have just been first come first serve.
I know we'd like to believe that no true burner will sell their extra tickets to make profit but lets be real, the society and way of doing things on the playa isn't the same as it is on the outside and most of us could use a little cash. If a burner sees scalpers making $700 on one single ticket it could be hard to justify selling that for face value even though it's the right thing to do. $700 would pay my rent for a month, pay for my flight to the playa, and buy me a ton of art supplies.
I'm sure we'll find a way to get a ticket but I'm starting to wonder if we should even plan to attend this year. I'm afraid that those in attendance might wind up being a bunch of wealthy tourists looking to see something a little wild and crazy. :cry:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Will everyone in this thread who is whining and has two legs shut the fcuk up.

You go or you don't go. Maybe camps will be different, maybe they won't. It'll be a different burningman. But, you know, if it was the same burningman as the other times you went, you'd be bored with it by now.

Find some cute pictures of puppies on the net and practice some deep breathing. It gets better...
:cheers:
The Lady with a Lamprey

avalon25

Post by avalon25 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Dimitri wrote:Great, now I'll have to wait until march 28th, during wich my flight ticket will rise to $1400 instead of $800, wich I'll probably won't be able to afford.
the same for me... And if march is a fail too, i would have wait for nothing and my only holidays in the year would be... Bullshit !

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Joker6tynine wrote:Now I have to race to get tickets like the other 30,000 people who got DENIED!
Where'd this number come from?

Mofessor

Post by Mofessor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Nipple wrote:
lilysunflower wrote:I checked StubHub an hour ago, and already 82 BM 2012 tickets being scalped for $625-1500. Burning Man Lottery FAIL! This new system has got to go! It has only helped scaplers scalp earlier and with higher costs.
Perspective: 82 out of 45,000.
I'm sure most people are going to wait until all tickets are sold (low income, etc.) until they put them up... possibly until they have tickets in hand (June). Hard to imagine people not making at least a few hundred dollars on each of their tickets, possibly much more depending on panic.

For instance, I'm willing to bet the majority of people on here that don't have a ticket would GLADLY pay $500 for one.

The worst is that STEP requires the person selling it back to the community to LOSE $$$. Imagine how much that will piss people off. You would think that BMORG, having created this mess, would suck it up and pay the fee.

jwalter

Post by jwalter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 pm

This is really sad - especially because those that have contriubted in the past obviously were not given priority - i mean theres 50, 000 people but only like 1000 registered/placed theme camps - you would thingk filling out all those questions on prior participation would have made a difference.

Oh well , I guess theres other places i can spend my 7K and the playa is going to be a really light place this year

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Mofessor wrote:
Nipple wrote:
lilysunflower wrote:I checked StubHub an hour ago, and already 82 BM 2012 tickets being scalped for $625-1500. Burning Man Lottery FAIL! This new system has got to go! It has only helped scaplers scalp earlier and with higher costs.
Perspective: 82 out of 45,000.
I'm sure most people are going to wait until all tickets are sold (low income, etc.) until they put them up...
That's all conjecture. It'd be better to not get upset about what might be, and keep your eye on what is.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Dani_Ardi wrote:7 times burner, 5 times with an art car, 2 times with an art installation... I didn't get a ticket, but guess who got a ticket? The person below, selling for $1000 each

http://www.ebay.com/tickets/Burning-Man ... smaxp=1998
Looks like he did not. Auction gone. If it was like the other one, his order got cancelled.

Froves

Post by Froves » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 pm

:roll: Someone help me figure this out< I received the confirmation that i requested one ticket at 390. (after i registered) i have still not received any email saying yes or no. what is the problem, why am i in the dark still? Ever since i was 17 years old it has been a dream of mine to make it out to the playa, this is my year, 23 years old and two years ahead of my own schedule. ill go for step, march, fuck it i will tunnel in from fucking gerlach if i have to. ha but yes if anyone can answer me that it would be awesome, cant wait to meet all of you beautiful dirty burners!
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi

avalon25

Post by avalon25 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Dimitri wrote:Great, now I'll have to wait until march 28th, during wich my flight ticket will rise to $1400 instead of $800, wich I'll probably won't be able to afford.

Mosquitopilate

Post by Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 pm

All the planning/worries/saving $/not using my debit card for a month/no ticket...can I just get my FN rejection Email please so I can pay bills now & find other ways to be free on the playa
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Froves wrote::roll: Someone help me figure this out< I received the confirmation that i requested one ticket at 390. (after i registered) i have still not received any email saying yes or no. what is the problem, why am i in the dark still? Ever since i was 17 years old it has been a dream of mine to make it out to the playa, this is my year, 23 years old and two years ahead of my own schedule. ill go for step, march, fuck it i will tunnel in from fucking gerlach if i have to. ha but yes if anyone can answer me that it would be awesome, cant wait to meet all of you beautiful dirty burners!

Contact the ticket folks and ask directly. The email is on the ticket page (partiserv)

gonzoblair

Post by gonzoblair » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:12 pm

They could've prevented this fiasco by simply implementing names on tickets. But, according to the ticket FAQ:
"The administrative cost of changing the name on every ticket that ever changes hands exceeds our capacity."
http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#uniqueticket

Thanks BMORG. You couldn't even just charge a small fee to handle ticket transfers? Now who's paying for this little cost cutting maneuver?

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Fawn wrote:
pandora422 wrote:
Fawn wrote:Trying to stay positive about this whole thing but right now I just want to cry.....Burning Man means so much to me and my fiance. It was where we got engaged last year and we are planning our wedding there this year...........We both registered for 2 tickets but didn't get them....Just praying that the STEP program or open sale work for us. If it doesn't I don't know what we are going to do....... :(

Never Fear Faun - there are 81 (and climbing) tickets available on Stub Hub starting at $650. And no, I do not work for Stub hub, just posting a fact.

I do not believe in scalping tickets, and would NEVER buy a ticket from a scalper for Burning Man! I have only been to BM twice, but I have had tickets 4 times. The 2 times I couldn't makes it, I sold my ticket to a friend who needed for the SAME PRICE as what I had paid for them! It is completely against everything Burning Man should be about to sell and buy tickets at more than face value in my opinion. Obviously this lottery system is completely flawed, and the fact that tickets are on Stub Hub already proves that. Last year the even didn't sell out until July and only then did we see ugly scalpers and price gougers pop up. Now, before even the sale of the last 10,000 tickets has been done we have people trying to sell tickets they don't even physcially have yet!!! WHAT THE FUCK BURNING MAN???!!!! How did this solve the scalping problem??? I really don't see what was so wrong with the old system. At least with the old system if you had your shit together and were ready to buy tickets when they went on sale you could get tickets. Last year I had to wait "in line" on my computer for like 10 hours the day they went on sale, but guys what I got a ticket! And got a ticket for $250! Now people who have planned big things for this year: art, theme camps, weddings (like I was planning on!!!) are being told that it doesn't matter if you have planned ahead and tried to play by the rules you may not be able to go, and worse yet, tons of tickets are in the hands of people who have no intention of going but are just trying to make a profit by selling their tickets.....it makes me sick......I just want to cry.....or throw something....maybe both.....
Most of the Stub Hub posts were up already, either courtesy of the presale or scalpers selling stuff they didn't even have a promise of having. Right now, that's 82 tickets of 43,000 sold. When you count the pair that went up (and down) on ebay, and a few other sites, what 200 scalpers out of 43,000? Now maybe there were a LOT of newbies, but I'm guessing a lot of 'hoarders' too. Or are some lucky 'hoarders' turning scalper on us? I think that's a lot better than 10,000 tickets going to scalpers as might have happened in an open sale.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Mofessor

Post by Mofessor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Nipple wrote:
That's all conjecture. It'd be better to not get upset about what might be, and keep your eye on what is.
We have an entire thread here of "what is"... camps fractured, art not being created, plans in limbo...

Here's what the "everything is going to be alright" crowd said before the lottery:

The main sale is structured so that even if there's a stronger than usual increase in ticket demand, there should still be enough tickets to go around (trilobyte)

That's great that you and your friend are not only down with hoarding, but that you're in a spot where you can both tie up all that extra money until sometime in June (well the hoarding bit's not great). I don't see the rest of the Burning Man community being in that kind of situation, both from the paranoia standpoint and the financial standpoint. (trilobyte)

I am just realistic enough to know that with 40,000 tickets on sale in the main drawing the likelihood of getting one is pretty damn high. (Eric)

I'm betting that there'll be a glut of T3 tickets from the main sale adding to that as well. This may be even more than were available for sale at that time last year. (bbadger)

if by some small chance you don't get in on a couple of those 40,000 tickets available, you'll have to try in March, when there's a remote chance that those will sell out before you buy yours (Davoid)

Froves

Post by Froves » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:15 pm

AntiM wrote:
Froves wrote::roll: Someone help me figure this out< I received the confirmation that i requested one ticket at 390. (after i registered) i have still not received any email saying yes or no. what is the problem, why am i in the dark still? Ever since i was 17 years old it has been a dream of mine to make it out to the playa, this is my year, 23 years old and two years ahead of my own schedule. ill go for step, march, fuck it i will tunnel in from fucking gerlach if i have to. ha but yes if anyone can answer me that it would be awesome, cant wait to meet all of you beautiful dirty burners!

Contact the ticket folks and ask directly. The email is on the ticket page (partiserv)

thank you man, ill wait until nightfall just in case,
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Will everyone in this thread who is whining and has two legs shut the fcuk up.
Uh... How about not?

This lovely thread was created by our great friend Trilobyte with the intention of creating a space for those not awarded tickets to vent and express whatever emotions they happen to be experiencing as a result of not being selected to participate in the experience of Burning Man. Anger, rejection, isolation, betrayal, fear and uncertainty to name a few. These are not easy emotions to deal with, as adults we know this, or at least we should. Declaring a fellow community members emotions invalid by labeling them as "whining" is at the very least callous, if not rude.

If we can learn anything from this debacle (one thing dammit! Can we please learn one thing?) it's that there is a whole hell of a lot of people in OUR community with some pretty hurt feelings as a result of this, right? What kind of community are we if we are insensitive to our friends who are grieving over something that is perceived as lost? Or at the very least very far away and likely unobtainable? The sheer number of "newbies" on Eplaya attests to that and the fact that they are all here because they're pissed, or hurt, or whatever, and looking to their community for support. Lets give them that at the least. That's not why I made my Eplaya account a couple years ago, there are several reasons why I don't post much or partake in much of the "conversation" that occurs here. The reason why I choose to partake in this conversation is because I too am feeling rejected and hurt by the lack of a ticket, even though I played by the rules. I am not hopeless. Oh, I KNOW I will be on playa in 2012, but I feel let down by the BORG, and I understand that there are many others who feel the same way. I'm sure Trilobyte had the best of intentions in starting a thread for the 'whiners', I suspect an action motivated by empathy, respect and a genuine love for his fellow burners. Thanks Trilobyte! Now where's yours?
Last edited by A-RockLeFrench on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eastcoastpat

Post by eastcoastpat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm

"We're really sorry to inform you that your entry was not selected in the Main Sale to purchase Burning Man 2012 tickets. But remember this isn't the end - you still have other options for acquiring tickets!

The next chance to buy is directly through the Open Sale, which begins March 28, 2012. There are 10,000 tickets that will be offered in that sale at $390 each. The Open Sale is a first-come, first-served, no-registration-required sale.

We will also open our new resale system, the Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP), for the buying and selling of secondhand tickets starting February 22. We expect that a fair number of tickets will be redistributed within the participant community (as happens every year), and we ask that you use the STEP system to do so, avoiding sites like eBay, Craigslist, or ticket resale sites, so we can maintain a central source for tickets and discourage scalping. Full details will be posted on tickets.burningman.com and through the Jack Rabbit Speaks email newsletter.

Please help us discourage scalpers. Don't buy or sell Burning Man tickets above face value.

Since you were among those unable to secure tickets through this Main Sale drawing, you will get priority in signing up for the STEP system's first-come, first-served process. Please watch for an email before the end of February with details about how you can participate in this program.

Sincerely,

Burning Man Tickets"

EDIT: So there you go....
Last edited by eastcoastpat on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonetheBMnoob

Post by TonetheBMnoob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Welp this whole lottery thing is kinda blehh, I did not get selected :[ and I'm pretty cheesed off. I have high hopes for STEP though, I feel like a lot of people got rejected? so i dont exactly feel alone. If its ment to be ill get the golden ticket and all will be well. Until then... I suppose ill keep keepin on. Good luck with tix everyone, cheers to whoever got em! 8)

forge

Post by forge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:22 pm

How many tickets were requested versus the 40k they had?

Joker6tynine

Post by Joker6tynine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Nipple wrote:
Joker6tynine wrote:Now I have to race to get tickets like the other 30,000 people who got DENIED!
Where'd this number come from?
I blew it out of my ass.... Cause could anyone really come up with a number on how many people signed up for the lotto and got denied..?? Don't think so.. Unless your Steven Hawking..

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”