Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
MiguelMenendez

Re: Official "Not Awarded Tix" Thread

Post by MiguelMenendez » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:18 pm

This SUCKS. 8 of the 15 people I was going to go with got rejected.

Maybe if we were richer...

Maybe if we had more available credit...

Maybe we could game the system like everyone else...

It sucks to be told I can't go home.

Fuck everything about this.

Geosomin

Post by Geosomin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:19 pm

I just got my letter. F*cksticks.
My husband and I have wanted to be at Burning Man for a many years...at first we couldn't afford it. We live up in Canada so it's no small thing to come. Plus, we wanted to contribute, join a camp. Over the years a few of our friends have gone and it changed their lives...we knew it was where we really need to be...and so we thought last year, well no 2011 is too soon to be able to really contribute and go and give it our all...and so we waited for this year. ALL year it was to be this year we went...and it turns out it was not meant to be. Burning man in 2012...something to look forward to. I don't see how the planners felt the lottery would be more fair than an all out sale. I'd feel better if I lost out to that...
I'd like to think that we may still end up with tickets, but there is a core group of people, some who've been before, that were all going together for a camp. I've already heard from some of them, in tears, who also didn't get tickets. It's no small thing to get time off, plan and get down there for this...it would break my heart if I kept pouring myself into it and in the end didn't happen at all.
I know there's no guarantee I would have gotten them but I am not holding out hope that both I and my husband will be able to get tickets soon enough to be able to really contribute and be a part of the whole experience. I had figured that I would pour my time and money into my friends being able to go if we didn't get drawn...but none of them got tickets either. I'm really concerned that if I actually would get tickets the whole experience would not be what it could have been because a lot of camps won't be there or be diminished...I get the feeling this year will not be what it could have been...some kind of deperate attempt to have fun despite it all.

I'm just really bummed that an experience I've planned and dreamed about being a part of with my love and friends for many years will very likely not happen. I could say better luck next year, but really-this doesn't give me a lot of hope. AND I get to break the news to my luv later.
Last edited by Geosomin on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottslc

Post by scottslc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:20 pm

So long, thanks for all the fish...

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:20 pm

scottslc wrote:I wish the good folks (I'm hoping they've been canned) in charge of this lottery would break their silence. At least acknowledge what a screwup they've made. Lets hear something official!
Screw-up compared to what?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

RenoMonster

Post by RenoMonster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

How many members of DPW got rejection e-mails? :twisted:

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

MiguelMenendez wrote:This SUCKS. 8 of the 15 people I was going to go with got rejected.
So you signed up for a single ticket each?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

HandJamMasterC
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Post by HandJamMasterC » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Screw-up compared to what?
Compared to last year perhaps. That's not looking as much of a fiasco compared to this years ticket process........... :roll:
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/

BailOut

Post by BailOut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:26 pm

BBadger wrote:So you signed up for a single ticket each?
If they didn't, then they are part of the "1.7 problem", according to BMO. :roll:

zer0mass

Post by zer0mass » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I too am joining the "didn't get mine in the lottery" hored. And as sad as that makes me I know that there are other ways of getting the tickets I need for this year. I am excited that several of my virgin friends will be going this year and I wish them all the best because Burning Man NEEDs new people to continue to grow and that they are the future. If you don't like the future that those people will make then help them see your vision by inviting them to join you and yours so that they can see what it means to be a burner from your viewpoint.

fdinsc

Post by fdinsc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

I did the right thing and ordered 2 tickets, the amount I needed. Now I can only hope the STEP system works better than the lottery system.

I could repeat what everyone else has said. What good would that do. All the bitching and cursing cannot be to our benefit.

Please, all powerful Burning Man, please work it out so I can get tickets. My brother and I, joint participants for 7 years and 3 years respectivly, want to return for another year of art and radical self expression. We both volunteer, keep our camp clean, and take care of our neighbors. We have also already shelled out a considerable investiment preparing for 2012.

Even my wife and daughters have been watching to see if I cry. I might !
Last edited by fdinsc on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beer
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kidsville

Post by beer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:33 pm

BailOut wrote:
If they didn't, then they are "part of the 1.7 problem", according to BMO. :roll:

Am I misunderstanding you ? What is this "1.7 problem" ?

Because I wanted a ticket for myself and one for my wife put on the same card its a problem ?

k.

socks

Post by socks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Wow they sure fucked this one up.This was to be the fix to last year problems.Seems now last years problems were a cake walk.This was going to be my 10th burn.This year i invested in a art car.Also bought a trailer for the car to be used only once a year to take said art car to the burn.Thousands of dollars spent already for nothing.Oh but my rejection e mail said not all is lost because they will have a sale on March 28 with 10,000 ticket.So they have stopped the scalpers bots form buying all the 10,000 tickets.Bullshit.I blame the greed of BM.org for this.The whole plan is for them to get the ticket money from 40,000 tickets now so they can put it into a interest bearing account.This was never ment to help the burner community but to put money in the pockets of bm .org.We got Fucked
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

renojeff
Burning Since: 2001

Tier Question?

Post by renojeff » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Im confused about how drawings on each tier were done. If I said I was willing to pay the top price, was that the only tier I was drawn for? Or was I also drawn for the two lower tiers?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Wrath wrote:Why can't this event grow naturally?
It did. It grew to the point that more people wanted to go than the roads allow. That's why we're in this predicament...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Re: Tier Question?

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 pm

renojeff wrote:Im confused about how drawings on each tier were done. If I said I was willing to pay the top price, was that the only tier I was drawn for? Or was I also drawn for the two lower tiers?
You were in the pool for all three tickets.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:45 pm

beer wrote:
BailOut wrote:
If they didn't, then they are "part of the 1.7 problem", according to BMO. :roll:

Am I misunderstanding you ? What is this "1.7 problem" ?

Because I wanted a ticket for myself and one for my wife put on the same card its a problem ?

k.
The average entry was for 1.7 tickets. Speculation has been that a lot of people who only needed one signed up for two.
The Lady with a Lamprey

MiguelMenendez

Post by MiguelMenendez » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:45 pm

BBadger wrote:
MiguelMenendez wrote:This SUCKS. 8 of the 15 people I was going to go with got rejected.
So you signed up for a single ticket each?
I signed up for all I could afford - a single $240 ticket. I can't speak for everyone else. Right now the plan is "The Playa will find a way".

That's not much of a plan.

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It did. It grew to the point that more people wanted to go than the roads allow.
It's the roads?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Pretty much. 447 gets pretty bad...
The Lady with a Lamprey

socks

Post by socks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Great job BM.org ticket stub has 88 burning man tickets for 630.00 each.And this was to stop the scalpers.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

BailOut

Post by BailOut » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 pm

beer wrote:Am I misunderstanding you ? What is this "1.7 problem" ?

Nah, you're fine. As stated in BManUpdate #16, which was sent out 01/27:
Will Chase wrote:It is clear that many people seeking Burning Man tickets for 2012 padded their odds by requesting more tickets than they need, and having friends, family and campmates ALSO register, ALSO requesting more tickets than they need. There are an unexpectedly high number of registrants, and they are requesting 1.7 tickets/person on average.

As a result, a significant number of people will not be awarded tickets in the Main Sale.
I guess BMO just didn't see it coming, and chose to blame the outcome on those that put in for two tickets rather than admitting that this year's ticketing system pushed many folks to do so when they normally would not have thought to.

nanaki

Post by nanaki » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:53 pm

I just needed one freaking ticket--but, no, not even that. I'm borderline low-income--definitely low-income for the city where I live--so more than $400 is out of the question. I have serious doubts about the efficacy of STEP and suspect the scalpers will have even more of a field day with this than they did last year. Given that I'm a single mom and have to plan my summers and budget way in advance, I can't rely upon the vagaries of the black or grey markets or so-called low-income lottery. If this sounds like sour grapes, yes, well, it is. Having volunteered for BM on and off the playa for ten years or so and having, for several years, hosted, at my own expense, a theme camp at decom it brings up long-surpressed feelings of inadequacy and rejection. But whatever, I will follow the advice of Konak and others and turn my volunteerism to other venues and take my kid to something else interesting. Really, it's probably a sign. Maybe next year. Maybe not.

mournlight

Post by mournlight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Anti M, I'm with you on this one. I kept watching the ticker creep up on that great video, and thinking, "50,000/ 100,000... 50,000/200,000.... 50,000/900,000" and the odds just kept getting worse. What a wonderful video, but I wonder how many people registered because of seeing it. I wish the video had been released after the sale closed. But still, Teddy did a fantastic job.

Everyone who didn't get a ticket, perhaps those who did buy as a result of the video will better think it through over the next few weeks and step their ticket if their heart wasn't in it.

Gonna be an interesting year. But then it always is...

[quote="AntiM"]Man, it hurts to see my friends without tickets.

I loathe Dr. Seuss now.[/quote]
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Pretty much. 447 gets pretty bad...
So I'm to understand the sole reason a limited amount of tickets being sold is bad traffic?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:58 pm

It's a big limitation. I won't go so far as "sole reason", I simply don't have enough knowledge at that level.
The Lady with a Lamprey

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 pm

It's that time.

Jenifersteppat
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Jenifersteppat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:02 pm

I got three rejection emails (ok ok I get it!) and it is an automated system...MAYBE we will find out there was a snafu and the system counted 3 confirmations when really it was only one and we will all find out this was a big OOPS and we all really WON!! I know I know its a fantasy but a girl can dream right??
No matter where you go, there you are.

pattytwo

Post by pattytwo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 pm

I am deeply disappointed.

The community has failed, but most spectacularly, BMORG has failed by being lazy and not acknowledging this (well predicted) debacle.

I will learn from BMORG's failure and will not trust their STEP process or secondary sale. Clearly, if you really want to go........ look to a reputable re-seller.

For me, I am reconsidering. I have a very sour taste in my mouth over how this was handled.

Instead of making art people will be anxious and scrambling for tickets for months. I hope not, but it could be a very tough burn with people being angry, missing friends and feeling taken.

By the way..... passed BMORG office at 995 Market on my way home and did not see any 'radical self expression' going on out front.

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

jorgebongo

Post by jorgebongo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Just an observation, but just from the quotes I quoted it sounds to my like the infrastructure of BM is failing. Tell me I'm wrong but after 40,000 tickets shouldn't all the theme camps be on the up and up? This seems to me like a scary disaster. Sorry for the neg head attitude all the sudden but seeing all the bad news from these camps should slap someone in the face and ya, you sold all the tickets but it wasn't to the people who live in your city!
Get a glass of wine in me and the shit comes out. Sorry if I piss off some of you guys.

by ‪Mikey Lion » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:53 am
Good thing my camp has been having fundraisers non-stop for the past 2 months... We went 0-5 on this fucking piece of shit lottery. We'll find a way to the burn one way or another, but goddamn this is some bullshit.
‪Mikey Lion

‪ by ‪matt_kicks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am
Our camp didn't even break 35%.

‪ by ‪sambojones » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am
got my tix but my friends didn't our group is 1/4 on orders so this is really bittersweet and suxxors big time my ticket boner is now limper than a soggy noodle which is making me reconsider attending

‪ by ‪TertiusOculum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 am
2 of 9 in my group received tickets. This is huge bummer.

‪ by ‪lemur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am
THE BLM PERMITS AND THEIR ANTI-AMERICAN RESTRICTIONS OF FEDERAL LAND RUINED BURNING MAN!!!!!!!!!

‪ by ‪monsta2ownzu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am
My group came out 0 for 5.

‪ by ‪Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 am
Our group ended up going 3/10... Sucks. We had such big plans

‪ by ‪hellolinds » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 am
hmm should have read earlier in the thread - in this case, no news is not good news.

I'll shake off this sad feeling, but over 75% of our rather large group did not receive tickets.

‪ by ‪Pipey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am
WOW. This is a huge bummer. Out of the 13 core members of DISTRIKT, only 4 of us got confirmation emails with tickets - and one of them only got 1 ticket when he submitted for 2. An even lesser % of tickets were awarded to the 50 folks we need beyond the 13 of us, to ensure the camp can operate the way it needs to.

‪ by ‪ess ahh » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 am
After a combined total of 26 years on playa - my husband and I have not been invited back to BRC this year. Somehow this doesn't beat waiting for 8 hours in a ticketing queue where I know I'd eventually get tickets to be on playa.

‪ by ‪SpacemanSpliff » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 pm
I didn't get a ticket.

But that's not why I'm angry. I'm angry for a number of reasons, but not that.

I'm angry because the Burner community came up with dozens of perfectly workable solutions to the problem of distributing tickets (Glastonbury-style is my favorite), and BMORG studiously ignored every suggestion. I'm angry because as soon as the lottery system came out, the Burner community screamed that everyone was just going to register multiple times, and BMORG ignored them, too. I'm angry because BMORG had the audacity to claim that they were surprised when people signed up for 150,000 tickets via the lottery. I'm angry because BMORG clearly cares more about whether their servers crash than keeping tickets out of scalpers' hands. I'm angry because as one of the organizers of a 150 person, five-digit budget camp, I don't think we're going to be able to go as all out as previous years—fewer people means less money means a less impressive camp. And I'm angry because, after reading this thread, it's obvious we're not the only big camp in this predicament. I'm angry because there are already 80+ tickets on stubhub going for a minimum of $600. I'm angry because BMORG continues to trumpet STEP as the solution to everyone's ills, when it's painfully obvious that any extra tickets out there are in the hands of scalpers, not the community (have you seen any mention of non-scalpers with extra tickets? Me nether). I'm angry because BMORG royally screwed the pooch on this one, possibly doing permanent and irreversible damage to BM, and has yet to even apologize for their mistake.

I'm not angry because I don't have a ticket. I'll probably get a ticket. I'm angry because I think I might have just witnessed the beginning of the end of Burning Man.

‪ by ‪Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm
"i was sad about possibly not being able to go to Black Rock City for my 15th time until i met a Man who had not Burned yet"

‪ by ‪Dani_Ardi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:27 pm
7 times burner, 5 times with an art car, 2 times with an art installation... I didn't get a ticket, but guess who got a ticket? The person below, selling for $1000 each

‪ by ‪jwalter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:01 pm
This is really sad - especially because those that have contriubted in the past obviously were not given priority - i mean theres 50, 000 people but only like 1000 registered/placed theme camps - you would thingk filling out all those questions on prior participation would have made a difference.

Oh well , I guess theres other places i can spend my 7K and the playa is going to be a really light place this year

We have an entire thread here of "what is"... camps fractured, art not being created, plans in limbo...

‪ by ‪JulzQ1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:25 pm
Man, what a bummer! No dice for me, my husband, and 6 friends and counting. This would be my 6th year in attendance since 2000 and the year I was planning an art installation with a friend who's a virgin (she also didn't get a ticket).

‪ by ‪zenseed75 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 pm
Yep, me and 3/4s of my camp didn't get tickets. Joy to the world and all that crap...

‪ by ‪HuskyVon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:56 pm
We have over a 100 people in our camp and so far less than 20 received tickets and only 3 received rejections. We are an art car and theme camp who have contributed to B-man for well over 10 years, most burners in our camp are 5+ year veterans and we have 7 virgins this year also. Our camp master did not receive a ticket nor did our major team players and integral camp organisers, 5 virgins received tickets however.
‪ by ‪Harinama » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:16 pm
6 years in a row, i've gotten my ticket on the first day. Now it appears that BRC has forsaken me. In recent years, i'd already be in hardcore Theme Camp planning mode. Not this year..
‪ by ‪Scorch2010 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm
Well, I was rejected. As were 8 of the 10+ people in my camp.
‪ by ‪bluesbob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:58 pm
I got tickets. But I'm not happy about it.

Although there are 10,000 tickets coming up for sale soon, there's the STEP program, Scholarship tickets, and whatever shows up on this forum...I can't believe the number of people in my camp that did not get tickets.

Last year within 24 hours of the opening of sales everyone in our camp was celebrating their return to the playa. We have averaged 100 people in out camp over the last three years. Right now only about 40% have tickets, the rest got the "Dear Burner" emails.
I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand man.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”