Tickets AVAILABLE

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Steel Kitty

Tickets AVAILABLE

Post by Steel Kitty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 am

I'll get mine on StubHub or Ebay as they're already showing up there for more/less than face value. I didn't get selected by the lottery, but I just bought mine here. If I pay a premium of $100 or $200 to assure my place on the playa, so be it. Using BM's STEP program is like owning and registering a legal handgun -- you'll play by the rules, but there will be quite a few people with leftover tickets that will sell/pay for them no matter what the cost as supply starts to dwindle.

[link removed]
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"

tinydancr

Re: Tickets AVAILABLE

Post by tinydancr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

yes, feed the scalpers and profit hungry fucks.
shut up and dance.

Steel Kitty

Post by Steel Kitty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 am

Unfortunately, there will be scalpers holding tickets. It's not going to change. I'm not happy about it, but I spend a shitload on bringing out a huge camp every year and I can't really afford to dick around with finding/sourcing tickets when I spend, on average, another 2-3K on getting my stuff out there. So I spend $600 extra on tickets -- it's the price I pay for the foolishness that exists in the BORG.

So the real question is.. do you want to GO? Or bypass those "scalpers" holding tickets who might lose out on $600 here and there, but employed hundreds of mules to buy up tickets to make back a few losses?? I know of one ticket buying service in Dallas who hires 100-200 mules to buy up tickets, I doubt that Burning Man would be seen any differently to someone in that business.

As the event date nears, expect the prices to go higher. Just like anything else.
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:49 am

tinydancr wrote:yes, feed the scalpers and profit hungry fucks.
Easy to say when you've(or your associates) won the lottery.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am

I didn't get a ticket and damned if I'm buying from a scalper.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tinydancr

Post by tinydancr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:11 am

Bounce530 wrote:
tinydancr wrote:yes, feed the scalpers and profit hungry fucks.
Easy to say when you've(or your associates) won the lottery.
Huh? I didn't win the lottery and am not sure what I said that made you assume so. Silly.
I will get a ticket either way, but sure as hell not from someone trying to make a profit off our misfortune.
Last edited by tinydancr on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
shut up and dance.

trigs

Post by trigs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I didn't get a ticket and damned if I'm buying from a scalper.
Ditto.

Steel Kitty

Post by Steel Kitty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 am

[quote="tinydancr"][quote="Bounce530"][quote="tinydancr"]yes, feed the scalpers and profit hungry fucks.[/quote]
Easy to say when you've(or your associates) won the lottery.[/quote]
Huh? I didn't win the lottery and am not sure what I said that made you assume so. Silly.
I will get a ticket either way, but sure as hell not from someone trying to make a profit off our misfortune.[/quote]

When there's 20,000 other "You's" who also feel the same way, and 10K tickets... then what. You'll change your tune, or not go. It's a simple law of economics. Scarcity induces people to pay more for something of value.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:19 am

My apologies, I thought I had saw a post from you last night, that you did win the lottery Tinydancr. :oops:

tinydancr

Post by tinydancr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

Bounce530 wrote:My apologies, I thought I had saw a post from you last night, that you did win the lottery Tinydancr. :oops:
no hay problema (no worries :wink: )
we're all worked up today.
shut up and dance.

randomgirl7

Post by randomgirl7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 pm

If you don't buy, then supply and demand forces the prices to go down.
That's fine if you buy -- but it just helps enable them.

I'd love to see these guys lose a crap load of money. I'd rather make my own local burn with that extra $600... or even donate to a project on the playa that I'll never see.

littlewingd

Post by littlewingd » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm

tinydancr wrote:
Bounce530 wrote:My apologies, I thought I had saw a post from you last night, that you did win the lottery Tinydancr. :oops:
no hay problema (no worries :wink: )
we're all worked up today.

I think that's my main issue -- how worked up we are. Well, not that we're worked up, but WHY we are. I know it's been said before, but it sucks that today is so crappy for so many people. I got the one ticket I requested, and I'm elated, but my friends/camp mates didn't -- so I feel guilty. Of course that irrational, but we don't get to choose our feelings. Granted, I know they'll get them from STEP or some other way, but it still stinks that my usual 'ticket buying day bliss' is marred as, it sounds like, so many others' is as well. Bum city.

Nonetheless, counting the days...

LadyLynx

Post by LadyLynx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Here's a nice one, 2 tickets for 2k.

[link removed; sentiment remains awesome.]

If I could meet this person I'd punch them in the genitals.

Kevinochi
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Post by Kevinochi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:52 pm

I don't get why anyone would purchase tickets from scalpers, especially when the open sale is still ahead of us. 10.000 more Tickets will be sold on the 28 th of March. That still counts for something, right? I'm already setting up camp in front of my pc ready to spam the website for our tickets :)
Waffles taste better slightly burned...

Ninzy

Post by Ninzy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Well said Kevin - stop the panic, breathe - the main sale is yet to happen! If you don't get tickets during that time then next will be STEP - at least wait a lil bit before paying some a hole on ebay some insane money
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!

Donna Matrix
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Donna Matrix » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Maybe you'll get a fake ticket and I'll laugh at you.
[img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3500/fogobarramenorbz2.gif[/img]

u2pilot

Post by u2pilot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:24 pm

"I don't get why anyone would purchase tickets from scalpers"

And is there another source today besides scalpers? Assume someone has ve already spent thousands on air fair and RV rental and such, and they've been watching the bottom price on Stubhub creeping up over the last 24 hours, expect virtually zero tickets to materialize on STEP, and figure the March sale will probably have 100 buyers (real and scalper) for every actual ticket -- then the $200 premium for getting a ticket locked down today might seem like a small price for 2 months of peace of mind.

Please understand, I'm not promoting scalping, and I hope they decide to put names on tickets so all the scalpers will be motivated to sell their inventory back to the borg, but I think it's real clear why it looks like there's been a fairly active trade in the cheapest levels on StubHub over the last 24 hours.

Flip side -- you are a virgin with a pair and have decided not to go. And your rent is due. Do you wait 3 weeks for STEP to open so you can pay a service charge to sell your tickets back to the Borg, where they will probably make their way to StubHub anyway. Or do you sell today and make a few bucks. (Someone please tell me why STEP won't be opened sooner.)

I don't find it all that hard to understand, from both sides, why the scalping is already going on at a brisk pace.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm not even sure how folks could be purchasing from the scalpers Stubhubs. Are you really sending money with a promise of a HARD ticket in July? I don't even think the ORG has provided info on how to change the delivery of July tickets yet.....

Just curious......
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

Big

Post by Big » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Possible solution for the BMorg, flood the market with tickets. Sell 40,000 ticket atfull price during the next round. Everyone who wants to get a ticket will get one. It would leave the scalpers with a worthless product. And based on growth projects maybe 55,000 would show up.

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:48 pm

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I'm not even sure how folks could be purchasing from the scalpers Stubhubs. Are you really sending money with a promise of a HARD ticket in July? I don't even think the ORG has provided info on how to change the delivery of July tickets yet.....

Just curious......
StubHub sellers are not paid until after the tickets are delivered. They go directly to StubHub and then StubHub sends them to the buyer. The delivery date for the tickets is in July. So StubHub holds the money until everyone is happy.

The worst thing that can happen to the buyer is that they don't actually get a ticket in July, and then they get refunded. This is probably not much consolation to the buyer who has already booked and planned everything for BM.

It is actually a really great system for pro sports events. I wish they would just choose to leave burns alone. On the other hand, there really are not many tickets up for sale right now.

ZaphodBurner
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Steel Kitty wrote:I'll get mine on StubHub or Ebay as they're already showing up there for more/less than face value. I didn't get selected by the lottery, but I just bought mine here.]
My grandfather used to say "A fool and his money are soon parted." The funny part is, people probably think StubHub and Ebay actually "have tickets" for sale.

"You are buying tickets from a third party; neither StubHub.com nor StubHub, Inc. is the ticket seller. Prices are set by sellers and may differ from face value. All sales are FINAL. All prices listed are in US dollars (USD)"

The third party doesn't have tickets either. They got a confirmation e-mail.

Thank you for being part of the problem. Fact is, you could probably suck dick for a ticket, and you're guaranteed to get it at face value.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 pm

u2pilot wrote:"I don't get why anyone would purchase tickets from scalpers"

And is there another source today besides scalpers?

Yeah. Burners. Imagine that shit.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:04 pm

It will all pan out once the Double Ultra Bonafide Secure Ticket Exchange Program starts.

shykat

Post by shykat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 pm

I see what you did there.......
Nipple wrote:It will all pan out once the Double Ultra Bonafide Secure Ticket Exchange Program starts.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 pm

Nipple wrote: Double Ultra Bonafide Secure Ticket Exchange Program
:lol:
not the first of that type, but still funny.

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

So no one here has said they have tickets available. No one. Is anyone paying attention? There aren't a lot of burners out there sitting on a surplus. Either scalpers have them and aren't letting on until they take delivery and the market gets hot, or all the press BM received really did incite that many virgins to try to go. Either way, it doesn't bode well for STEP. I'm beginning to think that vast stores of face value tickets that will magically be flooding the market on Feb 22 is a myth. I'm not beginning to think it, I've BEEN thinking it. In fact, I'd bet $390 x 2 on it.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:57 pm

mshaman wrote:So no one here has said they have tickets available. No one. Is anyone paying attention? There aren't a lot of burners out there sitting on a surplus. Either scalpers have them and aren't letting on until they take delivery and the market gets hot, or all the press BM received really did incite that many virgins to try to go.
I have a theory, which is that secondary-market tickets are going to start coming due right around the next time the credit card billing cycles come due.

'Cause if people dropped $700 on tickets and charged it on their credit cards, sitting on it is costing 'em money.

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:00 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
mshaman wrote:So no one here has said they have tickets available. No one. Is anyone paying attention? There aren't a lot of burners out there sitting on a surplus. Either scalpers have them and aren't letting on until they take delivery and the market gets hot, or all the press BM received really did incite that many virgins to try to go.
I have a theory, which is that secondary-market tickets are going to start coming due right around the next time the credit card billing cycles come due.

'Cause if people dropped $700 on tickets and charged it on their credit cards, sitting on it is costing 'em money.
Your theory bodes better for my camp getting tickets. Can we make sure that your theory is the one that happens?
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

EB11

Post by EB11 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Please, DO NOT ENCOURAGE scalpers! There is a much better way to make sure you make it to Burning Man. Sign this petition to recall the lottery and sell non-transferrable tickets.

http://signon.org/sign/burning-man-lott ... by=2342080

Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Mosquitopilate » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:18 pm

I have said it before I have already packed and ready to go for 2 1/2 months now I have not gone for two years and have been saving money through some hard times, Well I am ready to go back driving across the country pittsburgh2playa. I registerd in the first 5 minutes on jan 9th at 3:06 I was done, needed 1 ticket. Well lets just say no ticket for me, I did not think to ask everyone in my family to do what I did (390$) tier so I can get a ticket, so I going to use this board to beg yes beg to remember me during the STEP option I will help in anyway that is needed and I have said this before you will drink for free all week just tell what you drink and I will bring it to you. Anywho this has been a obsesion to me for two years to get back my wife has just about had it with hearing me talking about it but I just have a passion to be there again it is such a special place and hopefully the regulars get tix aswell but if you can fellow burners keep me in mind,thank you
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”