YOU WEREN'T "REJECTED"!

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
remi

Re: YOU WEREN'T "REJECTED"!

Postby remi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
remi wrote:By the way, unless your people placed the order for your tickets individually, on their own credit cards and tjeu weren't one of the people in your camp buying one off of another campmate, they're not "radically self-reliant."

Is pairs good enough? We are mostly all couples, and each couple put in one order for 2 presale tickets at 420$ each.. I think there were 7 or 8 pairs (around 15 tickets) and we all got picked in the PRESALE lotto. If those theme camps were "radically self-reliant" they would have also taken advantage of the presale offer. And even now, without a ticket, the "radically self-reliant" humans will find tickets through STEP, the open sale in March or on this forum (hopefully not by supporting scalpers.) The non "radically self-reliant" will just give up because they were "rejected" in the main sale lotto. If they complain about not having enough time for art if they wait until March, again, that's what the presale was for (which had a very high success rate.. nearly 100%)... so I don't feel sorry for them at all.
Last edited by remi on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 pm

gibson_ wrote:I think a lot of people just feel kindof betrayed by the org right now.

Just like every year... Feeling betrayed by the llc is a constant thing with a lot of burners.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

remi

Postby remi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Donna Matrix wrote:and snooty is the right word. you'll see that too.

Enough with the personal attacks. Calling her snooty because of her avatar is like me calling you a trashy whore... but I'm not just going to go and say that out loud..

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Donna Matrix wrote:it's not about individuals at this point. it's about the theme camps.

Then maybe it's time for the theme camps to go by the wayside & make room for smaller, more personal camps. How many huge ass sound camps, or bars, or sex camps do we really need? Want to drink, bring your own booze. Want music, bring it. Want sex- learn how to talk to someone. Don't expect things to be there waiting for you (like the oldy-days everyone raves about).

I have a feeling the people who are there are going to be super-charged and ready, and I'm really starting to think this shake-up is going to revitalize the Event.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Eric wrote:
Donna Matrix wrote:it's not about individuals at this point. it's about the theme camps.

Then maybe it's time for the theme camps to go by the wayside & make room for smaller, more personal camps. How many huge ass sound camps, or bars, or sex camps do we really need? Want to drink, bring your own booze. Want music, bring it. Want sex- learn how to talk to someone. Don't expect things to be there waiting for you (like the oldy-days everyone raves about).

I have a feeling the people who are there are going to be super-charged and ready, and I'm really starting to think this shake-up is going to revitalize the Event.

THIS.

I am feeling less jaded already.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Yo, fuckos, do not make me drop a piano on your heads.

remi

Postby remi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:45 pm

AntiM wrote:
Eric wrote:

I have a feeling the people who are there are going to be super-charged and ready, and I'm really starting to think this shake-up is going to revitalize the Event.[/quote]

THIS.

I am feeling less jaded already.

+2!!!!

ignite00

Postby ignite00 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for keeping up the good spirits everyone. I, for one, am very excited to see what this year brings and to witness how this amazingly creative and resourceful community will respond to the new reality of scarcity. It will be challenging, yes, but isn't that what this experience has always been about? In my group of 6 i am the only one to have received a ticket and while my fellow campmates are *understandably* disappointed, and perhaps wishing things went down a bit differently, none of us have resorted to attacking BMORG or have given up hope. It will work out for those that have the patience and perserverence.

Can't wait to meet you all on the playa!

P.S. Brianna your photo is lovely!

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm

"If those theme camps were "radically self-reliant" they would have also taken advantage of the presale offer"

Then that's certainly what everybody's going to do next year. Next year, there will 40,000 people trying to get pre-sale tickets right there along with your camp. Thanks for the tip!

I know how to get at least two people into Burning Man for free. There's a woman--a virgin, no less--who will sell me her spare ticket at face value if I let her give me a blowjob on the playa. I am a fucking master of radically self-reliant when it comes to Burning Man, but I don't like to be jacked around.

But all we really wanted to do was give the nice people at the BMorg our however-many-hundreds of dollars as soon as we could afford it, which is January, and get tickets to Burning Man. Maybe at least ONE of at least TWENTY of the veteran burner artists and performers in our community. The ONLY people I know who got tickets are virgins.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

ignite00

Postby ignite00 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Not to foment anything, but inconsistencies intrique me. Within this one thread, you've mentioned that no one got tickets, including virgins, but now you're saying the only people you know who got tickets are virgins. Just curious about why the conflicting reports? It is interesting to hear that a lot more virgins are getting tickets, but that's gotta be due to this being a non-representative sample.

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Eric wrote:
Then maybe it's time for the theme camps to go by the wayside & make room for smaller, more personal camps.

I did that in 2008 and it sucked. Which of the temples are everybody's favorites? The little ones?

Working as a team on the biggest art project you can come together and pull of is how Black Rock City has shit like art. That's why we all got back together and did our bigger camp again. (16...not huge) But, we to served hundreds, if not thousands. Smaller, more personal, maybe, but, those people sure didn't seem to mind all the ice-cold free shit we were giving them. That's all we want to do again.

I tried building an art car pretty much by myself in 2010. It was smaller and more personal. The whole experience sucked. What didn't suck where the hundreds of people who stood on our castle in 2005, who drank our booze and beverages every year, who danced to our music, who hung out in our root beer saloon in 2010. Especially the ones who remembered us from 2005.

Good luck and have a great burn and let us know if you like it, but, the feeling of not attempting something spectacular made 2008 a down year for us. Eric, I respect your posts and your optimism here, and I think if it's possible for this whole show to be reduced down to tents and trucks, people like you are why it still won't suck. I believe that much.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Nipple

Postby Nipple » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Eric wrote:Want sex- learn how to talk to someone.

WHOA... easy now. We're all excited.

Let's not say anything we're going to regret later on.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Nipple wrote:

WHOA... easy now. We're all excited...

Or hang out at the PDX Greyhound station, apparently... ;)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:31 pm

ZB- thank you. I'm not just playing the optimist, I honestly believe that a shake-up in our complacency couldn't hurt. Yeah- I've seen Temples that suck out there, but I also don't know why we have to have one in that form. I love the camps that give away stuff (ours gives away thousands of dollars worth of booze every year), but I don't see why changing that is bad in itself. I love bartending there, but I'm certainly not going to have my event ruined if I don't get to do it.

I feel for all the theme camps struggling right now, I just think the energy of the people who do make it to the playa this year is going to be amazing.

(of course, I also think the raging white-outs we should get this year will slow the growth for 2013.)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:35 pm

ignite00 wrote:Not to foment anything, but inconsistencies intrique me. Within this one thread, you've mentioned that no one got tickets, including virgins, but now you're saying the only people you know who got tickets are virgins. Just curious about why the conflicting reports? It is interesting to hear that a lot more virgins are getting tickets, but that's gotta be due to this being a non-representative sample.

Sorry for the confusion. More people are reporting their results.

As of now, none of the virgins (2) in our camp got tickets. In a greater Portland burner community of about three camps that I'm in, the virgins are the only ones reporting so far that they "got tickets." They are attached to a significant theme camp in the 9 o'clock plaza area, but I don't know if they mentioned it on the lottery form. That theme camp appears to be collapsing because people seem to have already decided that if they didn't get tickets one way or the other by buying them in January, Mexico is dirt cheap right now, etc.

To be honest, I'd been telling them to hang on, not to worry, that there are still going to be x amount of people going to Black Rock City and that the BMorg knows what it's doing... ...*sigh*... Trying to start a Portland ticket collective right now for people who have extras, want to sell them to burners in person, and don't trust that the Burning Man people won't jack it all the fuck up again in some other ticket exchange. It's difficult though because at this point, almost NOBODY actually "has tickets" to Burning Man, do they?

Nipple

Postby Nipple » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
Nipple wrote:

WHOA... easy now. We're all excited...

Or hang out at the PDX Greyhound station, apparently... ;)

Now I'm REALLY excited!

soupman

Postby soupman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't the presale put up with the intention of having tickets available for people to gift for the holidays? I mean, I know that's not what happened, but... :?:

P.Ram

Postby P.Ram » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm

I have to admit I'm having a little schadenfreude that someone so deeply uncool as to have a raging tantrum all over the board might not be at burning man this year. Seriously, I know this is disappointing, but what are you going to do if you ever have a real problem?

It's not about the theme camps. It's not about the ratio of vets to virgins. (However it does appear to be a massive screen upon which everyone can project it being about their own favorite part.)

Burning man was great when it was a few thousand people in the desert making cool stuff, blowing shit up, and conducting a huge community social experiment in barter/gift and self-reliance. For several years in the 90s, a good half the attendees were virgins each year and somehow people managed to eke out a good time.

Now that the social experiment part is over (IMHO - check the MOOP and non-consensual titty-grabbers if you don't agree) and it's merely ;-) the most fantastic rave on the planet, it's still great.

Didn't get a ticket? Keep trying. Or get everyone else together and hold an alternate event with your awesome creations. But shitting all over everyone isn't going to work. At least, that approach doesn't work in my social circle.
There is no they. There is only whee!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 pm

soupman wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't the presale put up with the intention of having tickets available for people to gift for the holidays? I mean, I know that's not what happened, but... :?:

Sure. I gifted them to myself, because I almost always have to buy my own gifts.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Yo, fuckos, do not make me drop a piano on your heads.

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:25 pm

P.Ram wrote:
Didn't get a ticket? Keep trying. Or get everyone else together and hold an alternate event with your awesome creations. But shitting all over everyone isn't going to work. At least that approach doesn't work in my social circle.

I understand that your social circle has its own ways of doing things and may certainly sound off if anybody radically expresses themselves in some way with which you disapprove, but, we probably weren't invited into your social circle anyway.

This year my wife and I are putting our effort into getting tickets instead of building art, music, food and drink to gift people.

"So deeply uncool"

Probably not as cool as you and your social circle, I'm sure. If you don't like people "shitting all over everyone," what the hell are you doing in discussions about people who didn't get tickets?

"Keep trying" No shit, really?

Donna Matrix

Postby Donna Matrix » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:44 pm

ZaphodBurner

yes. you are right.

the flippant ones are wrong, but they are sitting high and mighty right now

they are flaunting it... so very uncool.

BeyondIndigo

Postby BeyondIndigo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:If you truly want to go that bad then you'll find a ticket - whether it's from a scalper or not.

Brianna, you seem like a cool person but I really find myself disagreeing with this sentiment.

As an international entrant, and loser, of the lottery, I was already looking at spending £250 on a ticket, then £700 on a flight to Nevada. Then there would be my travel to the airport, my medical insurance for travel, a motel room for one night on the way there and one night on the way back, plus all my supplies, food and water. So, it's kind of ridiculous to me that someone would suggest that if I wanted to go "badly enough" I would loan more than the £3000 I had already planned to loan. That's nearly $5000, WITHOUT buying from a scalper...

And what about the people that literally have NO WAY to get the extra money, not even by a loan?

I don't mean to be a sore loser but I very strongly disagree that if people "wanted to go BADLY ENOUGH" they would find a way, however much they had to spend, whatever lengths they had to go to. This is the real world and people struggle with financial and logistical aspects, especially coming from farther away. I feel like your statement implies that people who aren't willing, or able, to buy from Scalpers, don't want to go "that bad." That seems rather judgemental towards people who can't afford to patronise Scalpers, or those who strongly object to the moral implications of scalping. :-/
Beware the creeping Britishness

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:02 pm

There's a woman--a virgin, no less--who will sell me her spare ticket at face value if I let her give me a blowjob on the playa. I am a fucking master of radically self-reliant when it comes to Burning Man, but I don't like to be jacked around.

Yowza!! uh that's all I can think of to say at this time....nobody else gonna comment on this? :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:43 pm

ignite00 wrote:P.S. Brianna your photo is lovely!

I have to admit that the avatar hate coming from someone with a Boris Vallejo-type pic...

Maybe a little envy....

Maybe a little...I remember when I had tits that didn't sag and lots of energy?

Odd.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:I know how to get at least two people into Burning Man for free. There's a woman--a virgin, no less--who will sell me her spare ticket at face value if I let her give me a blowjob on the playa. I am a fucking master of radically self-reliant when it comes to Burning Man...

Shouldn't you be giving yourself your own blowjob?
The Lady with a Lamprey

havoc

Postby havoc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It was a random draw. The fact that you didn't get a ticket doesn't mean that the llc had a serious look at you and found you lacking. It just means that you didn't get a ticket. And running around saying "I was rejected by Burningman" is only going to make you feel like shit. Don't let that idea run around in your head, making you feel bad. You don't have any power over the ticket distribution, but you have control over the thoughts in your head.

(If you need any help understanding and acting upon this I suggest you research Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy.)

i don't know, i understand exactly what you're saying, but i don't find it productive to ignore the way i'm feeling. and not getting a ticket felt like getting rejected...logically i knew it was not true, but that is the emotion that came up. (granted, i didn't come on here and get angry, but i did express that i was feeling rejected.) and now, a day after my "sorry, you didn't get a ticket" email, i'm not feeling rejected any more, precisely because i allowed myself to feel rejected and shitty for a while...then i got over it. we definitely have control over the way we act and react, but i don't think there is anything wrong with having the initial feeling of rejection.

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby teardropper » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote: some people just need to quit their bitchin'.

You're right, of course.

I just wonder how much YOU have invested in your camp, buying, storing, bringing down, setting up, tearing down, taking back and then storing, again...? How much time... or effort... how much do you have making your camp...? Or your art? or your general placement...?

I'm at the bottom end of that scale, the larger camps, way more. I'm not trying to be an elitist, just saying, from my perspective, it's hard to justify the expense/effort/time if maybe I can't even get a ticket. To do what I do, let alone the large theme camps, is a 12 month deal. I'm not rich, I do this on a budget. I doubt if everyone is rich. As I've said, BMorg provides the infrastructure, and a beautiful infrastructure it is, for what happens on it. The blank canvas we paint the picture that becomes BRC. All brought by the participants. How do I, how does anyone, justify spending all those things?... if you might not be able to go...

And what about next year?

The First Principle, radical inclusion, takes on a new meaning...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 pm

lucky420 wrote:
There's a woman--a virgin, no less--who will sell me her spare ticket at face value if I let her give me a blowjob on the playa. I am a fucking master of radically self-reliant when it comes to Burning Man, but I don't like to be jacked around.

Yowza!! uh that's all I can think of to say at this time....nobody else gonna comment on this? :wink:

Demented situation. The infinite only-at-Burning-Man improbability of something like that happening is exactly why I mentioned it when I was told I wasn't trying "hard enough." (winkwinknudgenudge) I have chosen to pursue other avenues, however, one way or the other I'm going to Burning Man. The question is how much I will have left to spend on art and hospitality when all of this is done.

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ZaphodBurner wrote:I know how to get at least two people into Burning Man for free. There's a woman--a virgin, no less--who will sell me her spare ticket at face value if I let her give me a blowjob on the playa. I am a fucking master of radically self-reliant when it comes to Burning Man...

Well, supposin' I could, it wouldn't get me a ticket to Burning Man, would it?

THINK BEFORE YOU FUCKING SNARK.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:15 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Well, supposin' I could, it wouldn't get me a ticket to Burning Man, would it?

THINK BEFORE YOU FUCKING SNARK.

if you could, why would you ever leave your house?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:11 am

Because beer doesn't deliver itself.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”