A FIX: Require registration for all tickets won in lottery

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
piquehard

A FIX: Require registration for all tickets won in lottery

Post by piquehard » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Here's a short term fix:

Require all tickets purchased in the lottery to be registered prior to distribution. One name per ticket. Non-transferable.

If the ticket holder cannot provide the name of the person who will attend the event, the ticket is returned to the STEP program and a full refund is given.

It's not too late for name-on-ticket.

*How can we actually communicate our ideas to the BMORG? Is there an physical address or email address? I want to GIFT my time to help fix this crisis!

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: A FIX: Require registration for all tickets won in lotte

Post by lemur » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:52 pm

the name on the ticket thing is starting to feel like a high pressure salesman trying to get me to buy insurance on a coffee maker..
piquehard wrote:
It's not too late for [coffee-maker insurance].
Don't link to anything here!

lemur

Post by lemur » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 pm

more seriously.. if you want to take part in helping in any way with something:

go here;

http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

fill out the questionnaire.. look at the various subgroups on the right side, there should be a contact email for each group once you visit its page..

as far as i know there is no 'official' contact to the Black Rock City LLC.. as an entity.

MOH

Post by MOH » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Totally agree. Just posted basically the same thing before I saw yours. Makes sense to me!!!

piquehard

Post by piquehard » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:57 pm

lemur wrote:the name on the ticket thing is starting to feel like a high pressure salesman trying to get me to buy insurance on a coffee maker..
Your coffee maker has burned down the neighborhood.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm

YET ANOTHER THREAD TELLING US HOW TO SOLVE THE TICKET FIASCO? JEEZ AT LEAST TRY AN IDEA THAT WASNT SUGGESTED ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO AND EVERY SINGLE DAY SINCE.

OR IS THIS A JOKE? ITS JOKE RIGHT?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 pm

If somebody has dug themselves in a hole, we suggest that they stop digging. If this suggestion is ignored, the advice to stop digging is still the best advice. We could come up with different suggestion, but it would not be the best suggestion.

What do you want us to do? Stop giving suggestions and also stop lamenting the situation (whining). I believe by that, what you are actually asking us to is stop caring. That just might end up being the ultimate reaction to all this. Some people care about Choachella, but they don't care all that much.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:50 pm

yes stop giving suggestions that have been ignored, stop trying to get the borg to listen to what they havent done or at least yet. or better yet look in the othere thousand ticket threads and agree with the other dozens maybe hundreds of people that have suggested this, listen to Trilo and the other mods when they say the BMorg has been tols of this suggestion and rejected it, though they may try it next year. its too bloody late too change it this year, the tickets are sold. there is no system in place to personise every ticket to it's buyer. now instead of looking at the crap on your shoe and hoping it will somehow come off look at the wonderful thing in your hand, this community really wants to help fellow burners but if they keep moaning and complaining abbout how crap everything is they are going to get pissed off and sell the spare tickets to smeone else.

lets take these lemons we have been dealt and put them in a gin and tonic, i am bringing plenty of gin because there is a lot of lemons this year.

oh and one other thing not moaning doesnt mean you dont care, doing something about it means you care, asking everyone to let you know if they no of tickets available and sharing that information. planning to see if your theme camp can join with another theme camp to make logistics possible, taking that sharing we all do so willingly on the playa home and see if we can make things happen.

moaning just gets peoples backs up or worse makes them moan about the other things that are shit in their life too. 2 negatives do not make a positive in real life
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 pm

What we're doing is called "dominating the social networks," as described by the media. It is actually effective in the public arena. If we would have shut up like nice little children, we would have gotten a JRS by now saying how great everything is.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever

shykat

Post by shykat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 pm

graidawg wrote:yes stop giving suggestions that have been ignored, stop trying to get the borg to listen to what they havent done or at least yet. or better yet look in the othere thousand ticket threads and agree with the other dozens maybe hundreds of people that have suggested this, listen to Trilo and the other mods when they say the BMorg has been tols of this suggestion and rejected it, though they may try it next year. its too bloody late too change it this year, the tickets are sold. there is no system in place to personise every ticket to it's buyer. now instead of looking at the crap on your shoe and hoping it will somehow come off look at the wonderful thing in your hand, this community really wants to help fellow burners but if they keep moaning and complaining abbout how crap everything is they are going to get pissed off and sell the spare tickets to smeone else.

lets take these lemons we have been dealt and put them in a gin and tonic, i am bringing plenty of gin because there is a lot of lemons this year.

oh and one other thing not moaning doesnt mean you dont care, doing something about it means you care, asking everyone to let you know if they no of tickets available and sharing that information. planning to see if your theme camp can join with another theme camp to make logistics possible, taking that sharing we all do so willingly on the playa home and see if we can make things happen.

moaning just gets peoples backs up or worse makes them moan about the other things that are shit in their life too. 2 negatives do not make a positive in real life

I agree with this 100%,but i have a ticket......
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

Herring

Post by Herring » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I said it elsewhere, but again, you only need to make lower tier tickets registered with names and non trabsferable.

If you want to gift tickets, if you need extra tickets for your camp, if you don't like the idea of bringing your ID, buy the top tier no-name no-registry tickets.

Edit: but more importantly, stop making new threads to rehash the same ideas over and over, quit complaining, volunteer, become proactive, drink the cool-aid, trust the system, the playa provides, plenty who ordered a ticket "just in case" that don't think they'll need STEP will put their tickets up at the last minute when they can't attend for whatever reason.
Last edited by Herring on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:05 pm

Herring wrote:I said it elsewhere, but again, you only need to make lower tier tickets registered with names and non trabsferable.

If you want to gift tickets, if you need extra tickets for your camp, if you don't like the idea of bringing your ID, but the top tier no-name no-registry tickets.
That is probably the best solution in the long run. But they should really do something about what we have now.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Herring wrote:I said it elsewhere, but again, you only need to make lower tier tickets registered with names and non trabsferable.

If you want to gift tickets, if you need extra tickets for your camp, if you don't like the idea of bringing your ID, buy the top tier no-name no-registry tickets.

Edit: but more importantly, stop making new threads to rehash the same ideas over and over, quit complaining, volunteer, become proactive, drink the cool-aid, trust the system, the playa provides, plenty who ordered a ticket "just in case" that don't think they'll need STEP will put their tickets up at the last minute when they can't attend for whatever reason.
I understand some people have an issue with tying IDs to tickets, but I think at this point, some compromises must be made, and for me, this is one of them. Yes, having to produce a government-issued ID doesn't exactly jibe with the anarchist spirit of Burning Man, but really, we have to drive ourselves out there so all of us most likely have an ID already. Making a stand on this issue is counter-productive, I believe.

monsta2ownzu
Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Post by monsta2ownzu » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 pm

[quote="Herring"]I said it elsewhere, but again, you only need to make lower tier tickets registered with names and non trabsferable.

Edit: but more importantly, stop making new threads to rehash the same ideas over and over, quit complaining, volunteer, become proactive, drink the cool-aid, trust the system, the playa provides, plenty who ordered a ticket "just in case" that don't think they'll need STEP will put their tickets up at the last minute when they can't attend for whatever reason.[/quote]

Why do you only need to make the lower tier registered tickets?
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.

Herring

Post by Herring » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:05 pm

monsta2ownzu wrote:

Because presale (at the higher price) went off without a hitch. Because burners know not to buy tickets over the top tier price, so scalpers and flakes can't make a profit selling their bottom tier $240 ticket for top tier $490 price. Because it prevents people from getting extra low tier tickets just in case. If you need a cheaper ticket, you need to be 100% committed to going. This favors all participants, theme camps, artists, volunteers and even committed virgins alike.

If you aren't 100% committed you still have the option of the high tier transferrable ticket.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Herring wrote:
monsta2ownzu wrote:

Because presale (at the higher price) went off without a hitch. Because burners know not to buy tickets over the top tier price, so scalpers and flakes can't make a profit selling their bottom tier $240 ticket for top tier $490 price. Because it prevents people from getting extra low tier tickets just in case. If you need a cheaper ticket, you need to be 100% committed to going. This favors all participants, theme camps, artists, volunteers and even committed virgins alike.

If you aren't 100% committed you still have the option of the high tier transferrable ticket.
Presale went off without a hitch because demand (from burners and/or scalpers) wasn't as high. You can bet next year the presale is gonna be slammed. I know I'm gonna register for presale next year, never done that before. I really don't think you can separate it like you suggest.

axel

Post by axel » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:56 pm

I think I agree with the piquehard. My understanding is he/she is offering a solution that addresses what could work to further eliminate scalpers who have won in the lottery, while making sure not to all out recall the lottery. Here's my take: If a follow up mail is sent with a ticket code, requiring name registration or a unique identifier against this code for instance, it would put pressure on scalpers to fire sale tickets if registration is tied to a deadline. For non-scalpers it would require community re-distribution within the same time period. Seems most theme camps and art projects already have a good idea about resource requirements even at this point.

Anything that is not registered gets recycled back for another lottery round and registered the same way prior to March 28.

BMORG in my opinion has opened the door to say they are thinking of ways to approach this but I think even if a lot of people have good ideas, it's BMORG that has the ultimate responsibility and accountability to do process re-engineering if required. Hey we're still months and months away. I'm going to try to keep am open mind about it. If 2012 comes and goes without a ticket for me I can go on an awesome vacation or have a lot of money freed up for something nice.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 pm

NEWSFLASH

Scalpers aren't on peoples' minds right now.

The SHIT that has hit the fan is the fact that tickets were distributed fairly among a huge population and that groups of people (camps, etc.) did not get the tickets they needed.

GET A FUCKING CLUE. THE LOTTERY IS OVER. YOUR "LOTTERY SOLUTIONS" for SCALPERS are pointless and worthless at this stage. Suggest them next November. Or please don't. The lottery has DEALT with whatever scalpers that were involved at this stage. Those scalpers aren't creating the shortage people are seeing now, random scattered people who like all of us registered for more tickets than needed holding the extra tickets are. TICKETS ARE SPREAD OUT AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. No extra "registration" is going to fix things, nor are ID checks or whatever. You can't even scalp tickets at this point because no tickets have even been released.

How many fucking more solution threads are we going to see saying the same fucking thing?

Don't register accounts to give us your worthless solutions. GO AWAY.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

fastsnail

Post by fastsnail » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:32 pm

I understand some people have an issue with tying IDs to tickets
With photo on ticket no need for IDs

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:51 pm

fastsnail wrote:
I understand some people have an issue with tying IDs to tickets
With photo on ticket no need for IDs
Winner Winner. Just send in a photo of each ticket holder before Feb. 12. I had to include a photo for my pass to visit Ankgor Wat. I still have that pass; it's one of the souvenirs I'll always keep. I have a photo on my debit card. No big deal. You can either take a photo on your laptop cam or get it done at the same place we get our passport photos. Anybody that tells you to shut up and go away probably has a financial stake in the 3rd party ticket sales market. Nobody desperately needs to gift a ticket late in the game. Let those tickets go into STEP.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever

lemur

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 am

BBadger wrote:NEWSFLASH

Scalpers aren't on peoples' minds right now.

The SHIT that has hit the fan is the fact that tickets were distributed fairly among a huge population and that groups of people (camps, etc.) did not get the tickets they needed.

GET A FUCKING CLUE. THE LOTTERY IS OVER. YOUR "LOTTERY SOLUTIONS" for SCALPERS are pointless and worthless at this stage. Suggest them next November. Or please don't. The lottery has DEALT with whatever scalpers that were involved at this stage. Those scalpers aren't creating the shortage people are seeing now, random scattered people who like all of us registered for more tickets than needed holding the extra tickets are. TICKETS ARE SPREAD OUT AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. No extra "registration" is going to fix things, nor are ID checks or whatever. You can't even scalp tickets at this point because no tickets have even been released.

How many fucking more solution threads are we going to see saying the same fucking thing?

Don't register accounts to give us your worthless solutions. GO AWAY.
THIS POST HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR THE 2012 "BEST OF EPLAYA" AWARD IN THE "TICKET THREAD" CATEGORY BY THE NOMINATING COMMITTEE

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:14 am

The senator from TC seconds the nomination.

All those in favor?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

piquehard

Post by piquehard » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:32 pm

beyond solving the ticketing mess,
there's a lot of healing needed as well.

It saddens me that there's so much anger.

I can understand that you're frustrated about seeing the same ideas posted, again and again.

Can you see that so many people feel injured by this process? Telling people to shut up and go away isn't helping.

A lot of us would like to transform the negativity we're carrying into positive action.

Can you help us do that?

shykat

Post by shykat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:45 pm

The CO wrote:The senator from TC seconds the nomination.

All those in favor?

Yes!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

graidawg

Post by graidawg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:46 pm

piquehard wrote:beyond solving the ticketing mess,

I can understand that you're frustrated about seeing the same ideas posted, again and again.

Can you see that so many people feel injured by this process? Telling people to shut up and go away isn't helping.

A lot of us would like to transform the negativity we're carrying into positive action.

Can you help us do that?
only and i stress ONlY if we dont see yet another thread suggesting a "fix" for the "scalping" or the "ticket fiasco" or "registration" or in fact any single ticket thread between now and march. got that?

now as much as i hate the romans they did have one good idea SHOOT THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS which is my plan for the next idiot that starts a thread on anything to do with tickets. that or i am going to suggest a wicker man this year and filling it with people that started a thread with the word "ticket" in it.

it takes 5 minutes to find a thread on anything to do with Burning Man like advice on swamp coolers, non cooler based menu ideas, best playa boots, shade structure or any of the other shit that people including me signed up here for last year

so for the people that need to find stuff please just stop posting redundant ticket threads and conspiricy theories (last years were better anyway) scalpers did or did not get half the tickets. Bmoorg did or di not fuck up. what we need to do is ttry and make this year the best evar just like last year was
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.

LegendZero

Post by LegendZero » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:58 pm

I think herring and Axel have some good ideas that are logically sound, accomplish the mutually desired goal, and might be workable within the framework of resources available.
What would be problematic about splitting next years sales into 3 groups(not including low income tickets)?
What I picture is this: Presale would be highest price done the same way it was this year. Transferable no name high price tickets equivalent to this years tier 3(regardless of actual price) and low tier tickets equivalent of rolling tier 2 and tier 1 into one low tier that requires ID and are non transferable.
With such a system the percentages between high and low can be adjusted by BMorg to ensure it remains within their capacity to do (the big argument against names on tickets.)

It makes gifting a ticket possible. It narrows the profits of sclaping. It allows BMorg to keep the lottery if that is what they desire.

Finally by adding a dead line to transferal as has been suggested by sending out an id registration date it does force the scalpers hands. It wouldn't even have to be done with the entire population of ticket holders. Even notifying 10 to 15% of people at random they need to register ID to use the ticket they have would cause disruption in the scalper market. However it remains to be seen with any certainty if the real lack of tickets is due to scalpers or virgins, only time will show.

piquehard

Post by piquehard » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm

graidawg wrote:
piquehard wrote:beyond solving the ticketing mess,

Can you help us do that?
only and i stress ONlY if we dont see yet another thread suggesting a "fix" for the "scalping" or the "ticket fiasco" or "registration" or in fact any single ticket thread between now and march. got that?

now as much as i hate the romans they did have one good idea SHOOT THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS which is my plan for the next idiot that starts a thread on anything to do with tickets. that or i am going to suggest a wicker man this year and filling it with people that started a thread with the word "ticket" in it.

it takes 5 minutes to find a thread on anything to do with Burning Man like advice on swamp coolers, non cooler based menu ideas, best playa boots, shade structure or any of the other shit that people including me signed up here for last year

so for the people that need to find stuff please just stop posting redundant ticket threads and conspiricy theories (last years were better anyway) scalpers did or did not get half the tickets. Bmoorg did or di not fuck up. what we need to do is ttry and make this year the best evar just like last year was
I can see where you're coming from. It seemed intuitive to me to post this thread in the 2012 Ticketing Discussion.

There are three reasons that I started a new thread:

1.) I couldn't find another thread where the concept had been proposed.
2.) The general "solution" or "ticket" threads had devolved into hostility.
3.) I prefer threads to be clearly identified and focused.

I expect that because a lot of people are upset about the ticketing situation, many will post their feelings to eplaya. I can't speak for everyone, but it isn't my intent to disrupt your non-ticket related browsing. It's my intent to discuss solving an issue that's very important to me.

Maybe it's offensive to read/receive SO many solutions (although they really seem to be closely related variations of several core ideas).

I get that. But these multitudes of solution posts are the natural consequence of 50,000+ people feeling aliented, rejected, etc.

I wouldn't consider them "useless". I would consider them each as a vote for something better. Something that works for you and them.

btw, I don't disagree with you on most of your points.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”