Maximum Culture Jamming

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Locked
User avatar
Token
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Token » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:35 pm

The ticket fiasco has to be, by far, the best culture jam of the millennium.

To think that the Zone Trip that spawned a following, became an event, incorporated, became a successful corporation, evolved into a cult …

… Would turn around and royally fuck their constituents …

… You have to just step back and laugh your ass off!

Whether by design or by blunder, the latter being much more plausible, the end result is just a joy to behold.

The final commoditization of the decommodification zone. Just pure poetry!

EPIC!

Image

User avatar
Stickygreen
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Stickygreen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Finally a post on Eplaya that is beyond awesome!

so true Token, so true....
)'(

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Token » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:55 am

Ironic that a big chunk of the very vocal in this sub-forum will likely not understand.

Double entendré.

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3600
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 am

Token wrote:Ironic that a big chunk of the very vocal in this sub-forum will likely not understand.

Double entendré.
youre so deep man.
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
Simon of the Playa
Posts: 19099
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins
Location: Rochester, Nevada.

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:22 am

maximum peanut butter too.

chunky...


btw Lemur, the nice men are coming for you, dont resist, it only makes it worse.


thank you for all your hard work and participation.
Frida Be You & Me

User avatar
shykat
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:44 am
Location: Santa Clarita,CA

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by shykat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:32 am

I'm not sure if culture jamming goes back a millennium,but if want take that line of thinking Jerry Rubin and his yippies would of been beefier......


I'm sure some historian would have more that go way back........
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

User avatar
Elorrum
Posts: 5414
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket
Location: Reno

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Elorrum » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:13 am

It is poetic. Closed system "fertility" exceeds population capacity, stress levels rise, paranoia, hoarding, cannibalism etc. good stuff. The importance of the regionals is being proven as the population grows. I always figured the supposition of what if we were starting civilization over and Burning Man was the seed, was over estimating our real nature as a group of animals.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

User avatar
some seeing eye
Posts: 3174
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 pm
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo
Location: The Oregon

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:46 am

Entertaining. But I think of culturejamming as something individuals do. Here we have a small business, BMorg, verses scalper small businesses, to the disadvantage of participants.

http://flightsafety.org/current-safety- ... rrain-cfit
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Token » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 am

some seeing eye wrote:Entertaining. But I think of culturejamming as something individuals do. Here we have a small business, BMorg, verses scalper small businesses, to the disadvantage of participants.

http://flightsafety.org/current-safety- ... rrain-cfit
Cacophony Society has been doing it for decades as a collective. Hence the tie-in; Zone Trip that became the event of Burning Man, then the corporation.

I doubt The Corporation® really cares from a financial perspective, tickets were sold, money in the bank and all that.

The Blunder™ is what makes it poysie!

User avatar
Token
Posts: 4572
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Burning Since: 2001
Location: Gold Country, CA

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Token » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:59 am

@Elorrum :twisted:

A person has a choice in behavior.

A collective always goes down to the least common denominator, which invariably ends up in the id.

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 17179
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: เชียงใหม่

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am

Why do you hate Burning Man?

;)

dunkk
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by dunkk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:53 pm

Interesting Token. I recently started researching the Cocophany Society. If you follow it back on Wikipedia the group originated as the suicide club. Well that didn't end well. So they transformed into the Cocophany Society which is where our illustrious founding fathers originated in San Francisco. I find it interesting that they are no jamming their own culture. If you follow the group back far enough they were an offshoot of a group called the Situationists International created after wwI. They created situatations outside the norm to enjoy desires. Maybe that's what our BM leaders are doing now. Maybe they're enjoying this situation and fulfilling their desires through it. So, now that they created a culture jamming culture it too needed jamming because it was getting to be too mainstream.

curiousjosh
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by curiousjosh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Token... I recognize that Icon ;)

pretty ironic, huh?

oh, and you'll love this. The LA Santacon handbook this year had the advice "be nice, and tip well" while visiting bars.

and they were serious...

User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
Posts: 12582
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Savannah » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 pm

curiousjosh wrote:Token... I recognize that Icon ;)

pretty ironic, huh?

oh, and you'll love this. The LA Santacon handbook this year had the advice "be nice, and tip well" while visiting bars.

and they were serious...
Tipping well subverts the dominant paradigm. :lol:

curiousjosh
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by curiousjosh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Savannah wrote:
curiousjosh wrote:oh, and you'll love this. The LA Santacon handbook this year had the advice "be nice, and tip well" while visiting bars.

and they were serious...
Tipping well subverts the dominant paradigm. :lol:

HAH! ok, best laugh of the day.


LOL, the new Santacon... cacophony fighting for waiters everywhere.

User avatar
alt12
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: San Francisco

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by alt12 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am

dunkk wrote:Interesting Token. I recently started researching the Cocophany Society. If you follow it back on Wikipedia the group originated as the suicide club. Well that didn't end well. So they transformed into the Cocophany Society which is where our illustrious founding fathers originated in San Francisco. I find it interesting that they are no jamming their own culture. If you follow the group back far enough they were an offshoot of a group called the Situationists International created after wwI. They created situatations outside the norm to enjoy desires. Maybe that's what our BM leaders are doing now. Maybe they're enjoying this situation and fulfilling their desires through it. So, now that they created a culture jamming culture it too needed jamming because it was getting to be too mainstream.
Cacophony lost the battle for the soul of Burning Man over a decade ago, which is why Larry ended-up running things and why John Law is no longer involved...

User avatar
alt12
Posts: 497
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:58 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: San Francisco

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by alt12 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 am

curiousjosh wrote:
Savannah wrote:
curiousjosh wrote:oh, and you'll love this. The LA Santacon handbook this year had the advice "be nice, and tip well" while visiting bars.

and they were serious...
Tipping well subverts the dominant paradigm. :lol:

HAH! ok, best laugh of the day.


LOL, the new Santacon... cacophony fighting for waiters everywhere.
Don't know about LA, but SF Santacon is literally a 3,000-person drunken douchebag frat boys fest with not a touch of subversion to it.... It is a meat-market pub crawl....

User avatar
C187
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:39 am
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole
Location: Vancouver

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by C187 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:06 pm

Token made my day.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

User avatar
Ugly Dougly
Posts: 17179
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Burning Since: 1996
Location: เชียงใหม่

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:41 pm

So subvert the subversion, do I need to draw you a diagram?

User avatar
anotheraeon
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Maximum Culture Jamming

Post by anotheraeon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:42 pm

tickets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Locked

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”