What STEP is Designed to Do

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40316
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Okay, I think it might be useful to talk about what STEP (Safe Ticket Exchange Program) was designed to do. I know, almost everyone is convinced that it won't work, but some of us think that it's too early to say.

I don't actually know what the STEP was designed for, I actually have inferred it from the description, and there are almost certainly nuances that I'm missing.

Simply put, I think STEP is the core of the anti-scalping strategy of the ticketing system. As long someone has a reasonably good chance of getting a STEP ticket at face value, scalpers will have trouble selling their tickets at a large mark up. If enough people participate, it could work. And I remember that last year a lot of people got their ticket from other burners at face price, so I'm not convinced that all the "missing" tickets are going to be scalped.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by BBadger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:04 pm

It seems the common thread in this year's strategies against scalping is to create systems that prevent predictable buying and selling. For STEP in particular, it is my understanding is that it is like organ donation: while you can choose to "donate" (sell) your ticket via STEP, you do not have any choice in who it gets sold to. This would prevent someone from abusing STEP to sell tickets directly to a specific individual.

The unpredictable purchasing in STEP may be a problem for theme camps who may forego the STEP process and concentrate on the open sale where tickets can be purchased directly, and in larger quantities. I know that was my strategy if my group did not receive enough tickets, and it may very well be retained for the other camp members.

We'll see what happens but I do wish BMOrg would implement STEP sooner, as this ticket vacuum is creating some serious breakdowns in peoples' planning. The later in the year these programs are implemented, the more discouraged people are going to become, especially those who are used to buying early like all good burners do.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
FIGJAM
Posts: 10064
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:07 pm

My understanding is that people who did'nt get picked in the lotto would get first crack at the STEP tickets. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

User avatar
Trishntek
Posts: 3463
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Trishntek » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:08 pm

It seems many are convinced STEP is based upon naive belief in the burner community. I, being the eternal optimist agree with you that we need to give this thing a chance to run its course before crying foul. Like you say, how can scalpers compete with it unless the community chooses to support the greedy bastards?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

User avatar
Bexx
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)
Location: Long Beach
Contact:

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Bexx » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 pm

From the email I got.. It said those that didn't get tix from the lottery..will have first crack at the STEP tix.

Now, I would like to know what the numbers are.. On how many people entered the lottery, didn't get picked.. And will get put into STEP. any idea on the %?
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Minxy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 pm

I think STEP could be potentially helpful for the redistribution of any tickets that aren't claimed by friends/camp-mates except for one thing, the cost.

I believe there are many Burners that would love to help other Burners get their face value tickets, even through STEP where they won't know the person who it's going to. I also don't believe with "most" people that their benevolence will extend to ignoring the fact that they will be losing money using STEP.

For each ticket purchased normally (lottery/open sale/pre-sale) a buyer must pay $6.00 per ticket, $1.00 per order and $12.00 for either will call or USPS Sig. Confirmation. According to what I've seen on STEP, it will only reimburse the "seller" FACE VALUE. Therefore, the seller is "eating" $19.00, which they wouldn't have to do if they sold through Craigslist or a post on Eplaya or to a local friend...or god forbid, scalped it in some fashion.

That's my only big concern about people choosing to not use STEP. I just hope there are enough loose tickets to make STEP viable!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by BBadger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:34 pm

What I'm predicting (or at least hoping) is that STEP will benefit sellers as a direct transfer reimbursement system facilitated by BMOrg. In other words, as a seller, you get all the per-ticket money back for your ticket as a credit-card refund (face value + $6), and the ticket ownership simply transfers to whoever "bought" the ticket via STEP. Hopefully if both tickets are sold, all the money is reimbursed. It ought to, because then there is only one shipment that needs to be made rather than two.

STEP needs to be easy for people to use, equitable, and take advantage of the fact that BMOrg still controls all the tickets at this point.

One thing that I hope comes of this STEP thing is that we don't get the annual namaste-slinging, ticket beg-a-thon we normally see in the ticket forum. Maybe we'll see replacement "SELL YOUR TICKET TO US INSTEAD" posts replacing them.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Minxy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 pm

BBadger wrote:What I'm predicting (or at least hoping) is that STEP will benefit sellers as a direct transfer reimbursement system facilitated by BMOrg. In other words, as a seller, you get all the per-ticket money back for your ticket as a credit-card refund (face value + $6), and the ticket ownership simply transfers to whoever "bought" the ticket via STEP. Hopefully if both tickets are sold, all the money is reimbursed. It ought to, because then there is only one shipment that needs to be made rather than two.

STEP needs to be easy for people to use, equitable, and take advantage of the fact that BMOrg still controls all the tickets at this point.

One thing that I hope comes of this STEP thing is that we don't get the annual namaste-slinging, ticket beg-a-thon we normally see in the ticket forum. Maybe we'll see replacement "SELL YOUR TICKET TO US INSTEAD" posts replacing them.
Well what I've read (and re-posted here but it was deleted by a mod) is that people who sell their tickets back to STEP are only being reimbursed for face value. I'd re-post it here, but the BMorg told the mods here that it wasn't allowed on the Eplaya boards yet... *shrugs* Silly, IMO, since it was all over the internet, but whatever!
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

Ataraxist
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 am

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Ataraxist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Some one remind me, whats to stop scalpers from buying the STEP tickets?
As of right now, the group of vets I intended to follow have all bailed due to lack o tickets, I am campless with 0 experience. Let me know if you need an extra pair of hands. :)

User avatar
vargaso
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya
Location: Lincoln, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:53 pm

I'm betting on relatively very few tickets going into STEP because anecdotally those with "extra" tickets are few and far between, and more than likely those tickets will simply go to friends/campmates directly. That's the case with my camp. And of course, scalpers won't use STEP at all. And many honest burners who plan to sell their ticket at face value will go the Craigslist route both because it's less hassle and to avoid the "restocking fee" with STEP. Which leaves people who got tickets but decide not to go and don't have any friends who need a ticket and. I'm not too optimistic about the size of that population.

There is the fact that ticket don't mail until June, which would mean people selling before then would have to use STEP, but again, I think that population will be small, as people will wait and see how things shake out.

All speculation of course, that's just my hunch.

User avatar
vargaso
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya
Location: Lincoln, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Minxy wrote:
BBadger wrote:What I'm predicting (or at least hoping) is that STEP will benefit sellers as a direct transfer reimbursement system facilitated by BMOrg. In other words, as a seller, you get all the per-ticket money back for your ticket as a credit-card refund (face value + $6), and the ticket ownership simply transfers to whoever "bought" the ticket via STEP. Hopefully if both tickets are sold, all the money is reimbursed. It ought to, because then there is only one shipment that needs to be made rather than two.

STEP needs to be easy for people to use, equitable, and take advantage of the fact that BMOrg still controls all the tickets at this point.

One thing that I hope comes of this STEP thing is that we don't get the annual namaste-slinging, ticket beg-a-thon we normally see in the ticket forum. Maybe we'll see replacement "SELL YOUR TICKET TO US INSTEAD" posts replacing them.
Well what I've read (and re-posted here but it was deleted by a mod) is that people who sell their tickets back to STEP are only being reimbursed for face value. I'd re-post it here, but the BMorg told the mods here that it wasn't allowed on the Eplaya boards yet... *shrugs* Silly, IMO, since it was all over the internet, but whatever!
Oh, well that could mean they're reconsidering the "restocking fee," which would be great news. Let's hope so.

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Minxy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Oh, nope, I forgot to remark on the "restocking fee" when I wrote my post. That was in that bit about STEP, too. Sure wish we could post it here but it will just get deleted. :P
vargaso wrote:
Minxy wrote:
BBadger wrote:What I'm predicting (or at least hoping) is that STEP will benefit sellers as a direct transfer reimbursement system facilitated by BMOrg. In other words, as a seller, you get all the per-ticket money back for your ticket as a credit-card refund (face value + $6), and the ticket ownership simply transfers to whoever "bought" the ticket via STEP. Hopefully if both tickets are sold, all the money is reimbursed. It ought to, because then there is only one shipment that needs to be made rather than two.

STEP needs to be easy for people to use, equitable, and take advantage of the fact that BMOrg still controls all the tickets at this point.

One thing that I hope comes of this STEP thing is that we don't get the annual namaste-slinging, ticket beg-a-thon we normally see in the ticket forum. Maybe we'll see replacement "SELL YOUR TICKET TO US INSTEAD" posts replacing them.
Well what I've read (and re-posted here but it was deleted by a mod) is that people who sell their tickets back to STEP are only being reimbursed for face value. I'd re-post it here, but the BMorg told the mods here that it wasn't allowed on the Eplaya boards yet... *shrugs* Silly, IMO, since it was all over the internet, but whatever!
Oh, well that could mean they're reconsidering the "restocking fee," which would be great news. Let's hope so.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

User avatar
vargaso
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya
Location: Lincoln, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:02 pm

vargaso wrote:
Minxy wrote:
BBadger wrote:What I'm predicting (or at least hoping) is that STEP will benefit sellers as a direct transfer reimbursement system facilitated by BMOrg. In other words, as a seller, you get all the per-ticket money back for your ticket as a credit-card refund (face value + $6), and the ticket ownership simply transfers to whoever "bought" the ticket via STEP. Hopefully if both tickets are sold, all the money is reimbursed. It ought to, because then there is only one shipment that needs to be made rather than two.

STEP needs to be easy for people to use, equitable, and take advantage of the fact that BMOrg still controls all the tickets at this point.

One thing that I hope comes of this STEP thing is that we don't get the annual namaste-slinging, ticket beg-a-thon we normally see in the ticket forum. Maybe we'll see replacement "SELL YOUR TICKET TO US INSTEAD" posts replacing them.
Well what I've read (and re-posted here but it was deleted by a mod) is that people who sell their tickets back to STEP are only being reimbursed for face value. I'd re-post it here, but the BMorg told the mods here that it wasn't allowed on the Eplaya boards yet... *shrugs* Silly, IMO, since it was all over the internet, but whatever!
Oh, well that could mean they're reconsidering the "restocking fee," which would be great news. Let's hope so.
Minxy wrote:Oh, nope, I forgot to remark on the "restocking fee" when I wrote my post. That was in that bit about STEP, too. Sure wish we could post it here but it will just get deleted. :P
That's what I mean, they could be deleting it because it's not set in stone any more.

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Minxy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:03 pm

I sure hope they do. They would have to eat a bit of fees but I'd think it would be worth it to motivate people to use the STEP.
vargaso wrote:
Minxy wrote:Oh, nope, I forgot to remark on the "restocking fee" when I wrote my post. That was in that bit about STEP, too. Sure wish we could post it here but it will just get deleted. :P
That's what I mean, they could be deleting it because it's not set in stone any more.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by lemur » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Minxy wrote:Oh, nope, I forgot to remark on the "restocking fee" when I wrote my post. That was in that bit about STEP, too. Sure wish we could post it here but it will just get deleted. :P
you cant post that here because that wasnt even what is actually going to be implemented, nor had it been approved.

the wording of it wasnt written for public release and could likely cause confusion among some people (as we've seen over this ticket ordeal some people cant seem to read even well written stuff without coming up with their own version of it in their heads) who are right now likely needing as unambiguous stuff as they can get.

the claims youve made about the STEP program and its supposed features, excluding aspects that have been released by the LLC, are not facts. The thing you saw is not a factual document so much as a proposal of the way it might be... It is not and was not finalized and there is good reason for it to have been removed from ePlaya. It spreading unchecked in the community might have caused even more hurt and distaste in peoples mouths when they may have found out their favorite feature of the proposal actually didn't make it into the final program.

There are some things that the Staff see that are not intended for public release because they are not finalized, because giving them out would serve no benefit, because they might impact the infrastructure negatively, among other reasons.. Surely youre aware that some stuff is shared between departments and within the organization to give people a heads up of what one department is doing. Sometimes these things change, sometimes they don't, this thing is subject to vast change and none of it may actually occur. Right now this is a thing that wasn't intended for public dissemination because it wasn't finalized it was intended as a 'heads up' to the people attending a Staff meeting who might have been interested in knowing what the ticket team was considering.

Take it with a grain of playa dust... and spread the word about it not being set in stone, as well, Minxy.. because it isn't ..vargaso is totally right....... and none of what you saw may actually be implemented.
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
Minxy
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Minxy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks so much for clarifying that, Moderator lemur. What WOULD we do without you here to tell us stuff we already know? :roll:

There are things posted by the BMorg themselves that may change. Many things may change. Much of what everyone is blathering about for hours here is speculation. I'm just referring to information that was posted about STEP by someone who was at the actual meeting and commented on by two other people who were at that meeting.

But please, by all means, continue to bless us with your infinite wisdom! *sighs*

lemur wrote:
Minxy wrote:Oh, nope, I forgot to remark on the "restocking fee" when I wrote my post. That was in that bit about STEP, too. Sure wish we could post it here but it will just get deleted. :P
you cant post that here because that wasnt even what is actually going to be implemented, nor had it been approved.

the wording of it wasnt written for public release and could likely cause confusion among some people (as we've seen over this ticket ordeal some people cant seem to read even well written stuff without coming up with their own version of it in their heads) who are right now likely needing as unambiguous stuff as they can get.

the claims youve made about the STEP program and its supposed features, excluding aspects that have been released by the LLC, are not facts. The thing you saw is not a factual document so much as a proposal of the way it might be... It is not and was not finalized and there is good reason for it to have been removed from ePlaya. It spreading unchecked in the community might have caused even more hurt and distaste in peoples mouths when they may have found out their favorite feature of the proposal actually didn't make it into the final program.

There are some things that the Staff see that are not intended for public release because they are not finalized, because giving them out would serve no benefit, because they might impact the infrastructure negatively, among other reasons.. Surely youre aware that some stuff is shared between departments and within the organization to give people a heads up of what one department is doing. Sometimes these things change, sometimes they don't, this thing is subject to vast change and none of it may actually occur. Right now this is a thing that wasn't intended for public dissemination because it wasn't finalized it was intended as a 'heads up' to the people attending a Staff meeting who might have been interested in knowing what the ticket team was considering.

Take it with a grain of playa dust... and spread the word about it not being set in stone, as well, Minxy.. because it isn't ..vargaso is totally right....... and none of what you saw may actually be implemented.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

User avatar
vargaso
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 pm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya
Location: Lincoln, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by vargaso » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:34 pm

lemur wrote:
Minxy wrote:Oh, nope, I forgot to remark on the "restocking fee" when I wrote my post. That was in that bit about STEP, too. Sure wish we could post it here but it will just get deleted. :P
you cant post that here because that wasnt even what is actually going to be implemented, nor had it been approved.

the wording of it wasnt written for public release and could likely cause confusion among some people (as we've seen over this ticket ordeal some people cant seem to read even well written stuff without coming up with their own version of it in their heads) who are right now likely needing as unambiguous stuff as they can get.

the claims youve made about the STEP program and its supposed features, excluding aspects that have been released by the LLC, are not facts. The thing you saw is not a factual document so much as a proposal of the way it might be... It is not and was not finalized and there is good reason for it to have been removed from ePlaya. It spreading unchecked in the community might have caused even more hurt and distaste in peoples mouths when they may have found out their favorite feature of the proposal actually didn't make it into the final program.

There are some things that the Staff see that are not intended for public release because they are not finalized, because giving them out would serve no benefit, because they might impact the infrastructure negatively, among other reasons.. Surely youre aware that some stuff is shared between departments and within the organization to give people a heads up of what one department is doing. Sometimes these things change, sometimes they don't, this thing is subject to vast change and none of it may actually occur. Right now this is a thing that wasn't intended for public dissemination because it wasn't finalized it was intended as a 'heads up' to the people attending a Staff meeting who might have been interested in knowing what the ticket team was considering.

Take it with a grain of playa dust... and spread the word about it not being set in stone, as well, Minxy.. because it isn't ..vargaso is totally right....... and none of what you saw may actually be implemented.
I could be remembering this wrong, but I thought the ticket confirmation email mentioned the STEP restocking fee. I didn't get a ticket so I can't check. However, I strongly agree with this statement of yours: "vargaso is totally right."

User avatar
Trishntek
Posts: 3463
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!
Location: Ventura, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Trishntek » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:51 pm

My confirmation email states:
Should you find yourself with more tickets than you or your friends and family actually need, we ask that you PLEASE use Burning Man’s Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) to offer them back into the community at face value (minus restocking fees). Watch for an email before the end of February with details about how you can participate in this safe, hassle-free program. If you need to update your email address before then, please go to http://tickets2.burningman.com/contact and select “update email address” from the support menu.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

User avatar
The CO
Posts: 1670
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:56 am
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found
Location: I-CORPS, M*A*S*H HQ, Van Nuts, CA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by The CO » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 am

Trishntek wrote:I, being the eternal optimist agree with you that we need to give this thing a chance to run its course before crying foul.
That's not optimism, that's the basics of scientific theory.

You cannot reach conclusions about an experiment until it is completed.

Or, in laymans terms, people need to STFU about how anything has failed until we see the final results. The final results won't be in until Sept. 4, 2012.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by BBadger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 am

I am pretty interested in seeing how the whole thing plays out. People like to abandon things immediately after something appears to go wrong--sometimes even before it even does.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:25 am

BBadger wrote:I am pretty
i stopped reading right here, i refuse to believe this.
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5799
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by BBadger » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:50 am

Youmakebunnycry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:55 am

crying ?


looks like that bunny is huffing paint to me.


Image
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 am

Minxy wrote:Thanks so much for clarifying that(1+ sarcasm point), Moderator lemur (1+ sarcasm point). What WOULD we do without you here(1+ sarcasm point) to tell us stuff we already know (1- sarcasm point, not everyone knows this?) :roll: (+1 teenage 'whatever' point for the eye roll)

There are things posted by the BMorg themselves that may change. Many things may change. Much of what everyone is blathering about for hours here is speculation. I'm just referring to information that was posted about STEP by someone who was at the actual meeting (me too) and commented on by two other people who were at that meeting (me too).

But please, by all means, continue to bless us with your infinite wisdom! (+1 sarcasm point) *sighs* (1+ sarcasm point)

total score:
5 sarcasm points..
1 teenage 'whatever' point

Deductions:
1 sarcasm point

Final combined score
5 points!

Judges Opinion:
you can do better than that!! eye rolls, and sarcasm are sooo much less interesting than REAL wit..Alas, I guess sarcasm is one rung higher than puns ! +1 sympathy point for not stooping that low.


Image

Hey, youll always have another chance in 4 years!


;-)
Don't link to anything here!

yellfireinatheater
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:31 pm
Burning Since: 2009
Location: West Denver

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:26 am

Ataraxist wrote:Some one remind me, whats to stop scalpers from buying the STEP tickets?
funny i logged on just to ask this same question. i know there seems to be some controversy about how many tickets went to scalpers. i know some people think it's only a few some think its the majority, but i think that even a few is too many. but if i was a scalper i would try to get as many as possible and what would stop me from signing up for one or multiple on STEP?

User avatar
graidawg
Posts: 3180
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker
Contact:

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by graidawg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:23 am

please stop with the scalpers already. if we are so worried about scalpers lets simple take the general advice. Don't buy from them.
lets wait till the general sale before we really start paniccing, then till the tickets are actually in peoples hands before assuming even one scalper bought a ticket.
if we see any ticket sales on ebay/craigslist/wherever get them taken down as at this point it is impossible to resell a ticket. There are no tickets in existence and no resale marketplace so nobody can resell them.
Please lets try and keep our heads and remember Black Rock City is a community based on well community, radical inclusion. So lets trust that the people who have extra tickets by accident or design will attempt to pass them on to fellow burners at cost until we know for sure that this is not the case.
Sure this system may mean that many long time theme camps won't be there but they haven't always been there and Burning Man will continue without them. We make the burn not sound camps or bars or any of the other things that people have got used to. The virgins who go this year have seen pictures and short videos they haven't been, so lets not think that because some of the things we have got used aren't there it will make it any less for them.
We can't control the weather, but we can help people prepare for the worst. we can decide who is there but we can make sure they have a good time, by being a community that respects the core principles
I for one am looking forward to BM this year even more, lets not say last year was better, lets make this year better and make it a new benchmark in what burners can do!
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

User avatar
Raymaker
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 pm
Location: London. UK

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Raymaker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:20 am

I predict that there will be no tickets in STEP. I'd be happy if this prediction is wrong, but I doubt it.

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:35 am

i predict that raymaker is gonna get a ticket to burning man 2012 and have the best time EVER!!!!
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
Raymaker
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 pm
Location: London. UK

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by Raymaker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:49 am

lemur wrote:i predict that raymaker is gonna get a ticket to burning man 2012 and have the best time EVER!!!!
Well I would have loved for that to happen, but this whole situation is making me believe that even if I got a ticket, that by the time I arrive, and partly due to my mental state, I will be in a negative state of mind about the whole event, so for my own peace of mind I should really consider that this year is not for me. I have started to put together an alternative plan now, which is getting more attractive by the day, an idea that is exciting me, the complete opposite to going to BM this year. I think this year I will organise a road trip with my partner and visit American Land Art sites, such as the Roden Crater Project, Spiral Jetty and Double Negative! 8)

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: What STEP is Designed to Do

Post by lemur » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:53 am

[THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME]
Don't link to anything here!

Locked

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”