HEY BURNERS: Three easy steps for Ticket Holder Verification

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
DeepBlue

HEY BURNERS: Three easy steps for Ticket Holder Verification

Post by DeepBlue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:35 pm

This is my first post here on ePlaya. I felt so strongly I should share this idea that I signed up and created an account. I know a lot of us our hurting because of this ticket situation. Here is my best foot forward to help.

1-2-3 process. It VALIDATES ticket holders, it involves a collaborative ART project, and it EDUCATES ticket holders. In my opinion, this is the very best we can do to validate burners who "won" a ticket in the lottery system. Make the following steps a requirement for all winning ticket holders, or else their ticket is revoked:

NUMBER 1 :: Require an image of government-issued ID that matches ticket name. If ticket name does not match credit card name, an additional ID must be provided that does match the credit card name.

NUMBER 2 :: Require a recent, easily-identifiable photo of the person that matches ID photo. Art project option: I would suggest going so far as requiring everyone to submit a photo of themselves holding a "I <3 Burning Man <real name>" sign for additional authenticity. Burners can have the opportunity to opt-in to a photo collage, creating thousands of fun pictures of real burners showing off their stuff. Maybe we can get an awesome 50K+ photo collage of burners because of this!

NUMBER 3 :: Require the completion of an in-depth, Burning Man quiz which emphasizes what BM is all about. This not only ensures all of the ticket holders are educated about burning man, but that whoever is scalping the tickets can see what the Burning mentality is. This process will force someone to learn about the event. If done properly, (and smart enough tech guys get behind this) the questions can be randomized so it would be nearly impossible for a computer to fill out the survey.

I think this will stop scalpers in their tracks. And if it doesn't, and scalpers have jumped through all of these hoops, maybe they'll actually want to go to the event themselves. And if they feel guilty (eh, doubtful) we can offer them an option to have their money refunded, and their ticket voided. Worth a shot.

So, We first VERIFY identification. Then PROVE the person actually is real. Then we TEACH each person what burning man is.

And that, my Burning Man friends, is what I think can help us. Please discuss!

Cheers. 8)

- DeepBlue

P.S. I think the Gate ID verification process is a good idea. But I see no way to differentiate the ID name transfer of someone gifting a ticket away and a scalper selling a ticket -- they both will look identical in STEP. The scalper can just profit from transferring (aka "gifting") the ID to someone else.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: HEY BURNERS: Three easy steps for Ticket Holder Verifica

Post by Token » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Problem is that your suggestion is constitutionally offensive.

Way too much personal information for purchasing a ticket.

fenwick

Post by fenwick » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 pm

gee - an idea, with some good intentions, but now it will take longer to get INTO the city - then out of the city, and getting out takes long enough already.....

ITEM 1 << Not everybody has "state issued" ID - just because you have one - just not mean ALL have one and the reasons vary as to why. So - now it has come to an elitist society whom gets to get in, the rest just sit back and watch? - kind of unfair and not inclusive if you ask me.

ITEM 2 << not everybody has a smart(-ass) phone that can snap pics, or even access to digital camera - just because you have one does not mean all have one. Some of us prefer to not buy into the smart phone that has GPS tracking 24/7/12. But if you like such a feature and tag - that is your choice. Why inflict your choice on others? This is what many non religious folks feel about religious folks. Religion is like penises - much better if it stays in the pants when out among "default people".

ITEM 3 << cool, a poll tax. However if you line up 100 people against the wall, interview them separately, regarding "what is burning man about....?" You will get 100 different answers, but at least some common themes. It will require people to read these answers - not machines. Machines could do it, and score points every time "happy language" is used. But a machine does not understand emotions (good or bad) or intentions of what the essay writer meant to say. Some portions of burning man are unfit for words - a smile plastered on the face says it all.

ITEM 3 also would slow down the process, so that applying for and getting tickets - can take as long as exodus does - guessing OP has never dealt with Exodus yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please - give it a rest, what is done was done, and we all agree - was not fair and in the best interest of the community.

Start dwelling on ticket sales for the remaining number of tickets left as well as the STEP process.

Look to the future, not the past.

The overall energy of Eplaya has done a complete reversal (understandable) as a place where folks can exchange ideas, offer tips, get basic information. Now it is all "bitch bitch bitch...." and this negativity is forcing many to gather elsewhere, trying to push forward in a positive attitude.

Consider this - those people whom do have extra tickets have to make some gut wrenching decisions that used to be a joy in handling - gifting camp mates or at least making them available. But how? in order to be fair, how does one simple piece of decorated cardboard, that has no value in itself, except for the ability to proceed thru a set of gates. Of the numerous camp mates - although necessary to pull off a success, outnumber available tickets - yet it could be possible - that one or two folks in larger camps - are holding tickets close - not ready to start spreading the magic of burning man. How do you deal with the decision personally of who gets a ticket and why - without pissing off untold numbers of others?

The only thing for sure that just about everybody can agree on is that this year's ticket sale process was a learning experience - with lots and lots of room for improvement.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Token wrote:Problem is that your suggestion is constitutionally offensive.

Way too much personal information for purchasing a ticket.
But you already have your picture on your eplaya profile.

And what a handsome mug it is.

When I was younger, I had to have my photo to get a pass for rapid transit because I didn't have a state issued ID. I had to get a photo for my passport. Heck, I had to submit a photo to get into the club at the skating rink. It's not that big of a deal. The persons who would have a big problem with this would have to be Joe Scalper and Joanna Makeaprofit.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote: The persons who would have a big problem with this would have to be Joe Scalper and Joanna Makeaprofit.
What about David Getthefuckoutofmybusiness?

Further: Everyone points to Glastonbury as the right way of doing it. That's also a culture that is OK with CCTV cameras pretty much everywhere.

That's the states more and more, and maybe neither or those are the right way to go.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm down for talking about proactive things, and I am also down for helping keep the eplaya going with proactive thoughts.

If people dont like the bitching, then be the change you want to see and post things you think are thoughtful and will help instead of flee.

I have more ideas on how to keep the eplaya a good place than I do about tickets....I'll leave that stuff up to you guys.
Thanks y'all for braining out on all this stuff!

Time to really spread the No Scalping/Fair tickets motto and rally for some good vibes for the remaining tix! What can we do or say to help with this without being preachy or nosey?

bmix
Camp Name: Tikiplex-12

Post by bmix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Bitching = "OMG this is teh suxxors! No more Burning Man!! Lottery blows!!!" = Absence of ideas.

Not bitching = "Here's how I think this thing can be fixed." = Proposal of idea.

OP isn't "bitching" by any definition, sorry. I agree we're awash with "how to fix" posts, but at least this person put some thought behind their submission, and stated it more concisely than I could have. Now, on to the meat of the idea.

OP's core idea is an argument in favor of ID at gate. I believe we are at the point where this is going to be required in order to avoid scalping and other ticket tomfoolery. Will it take longer at the gate? Of course it will. But HOW long is the question. Gate already uses wireless barcode readers; just check ID at the same time. Set up a "breakdown lane" for doofuses (doofi?) that forgot their ID or can't find it under their gear (instead of "D Lot" call it "ID Lot." HAR!).

As far as the quiz goes, I'm not 100% in love with that. ID is a yes/no proposition and grading quizzes would prove impractical at best, and as was pointed out, would get as many different answers as there are participants. But the rest? I'm okay with it, with maybe some tweaking. Again, the core idea is an ID requirement, which I think we're stuck with, for better or worse. Unless, of course, we want next year to turn out just like this one.
The march begins at 6:30 p.m., but organizers say all are encouraged to start drinking early.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Nipple wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote: The persons who would have a big problem with this would have to be Joe Scalper and Joanna Makeaprofit.
What about David Getthefuckoutofmybusiness?
Then I guess you don't get to join the club at the skating rink.
Last edited by CornMan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm

After the fiasco of the Italian cruise quiz, I am not confusing 8th grade and my vacation again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 pm

How about this, we'll fingerprint every one of us, then do a pupil and voice recognition. Then next, a DNA sample. That should keep the scalpers at bay and everyone who's not a burner or burgin cannot penetrate, assimilate or permeate into our community! Nes pa??
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

DeepBlue

Post by DeepBlue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:02 pm

maryanimal wrote:How about this, we'll fingerprint every one of us, then do a pupil and voice recognition. Then next, a DNA sample. That should keep the scalpers at bay and everyone who's not a burner or burgin cannot penetrate, assimilate or permeate into our community! Nes pa??
Touche. :D

bmix
Camp Name: Tikiplex-12

Post by bmix » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:07 pm

maryanimal wrote:How about this, we'll fingerprint every one of us, then do a pupil and voice recognition. Then next, a DNA sample. That should keep the scalpers at bay and everyone who's not a burner or burgin cannot penetrate, assimilate or permeate into our community! Nes pa??
Will they take my sock? For the DNA portion, I mean?
The march begins at 6:30 p.m., but organizers say all are encouraged to start drinking early.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Can we start calling it a "trifecta" instead of "Three Easy Steps"? I hate jack nicholson.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Post by Bexx » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 am

URINE TESTING FOR EVERYONE!!!!! ;)
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

Killbuck
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:56 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

remi

Post by remi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 am

I like the idea of this, but there is some tweaking needed. As already mentioned, not everyone has a camera/smart phone, so number two would be hard, however, I think the idea of a 50K+ collage would be fucking awesome! Make a huge wall with every photo and try to find yourself on it when your at the burn. Number 3 i'm inpartial to. I like the fact that you want it to be more interactive, but it would take some time for a team to go over 50K in-depth quizzes, and even then, who would be the person to give it a "pass/fail" grade? Can someone just copy and paste the 10 principles? I like the idea of it.

I like the fact that your bringing in a new idea and stimulating good conversation.. instead of just comming on here and complaining about not having a ticket.

If BM ended up with a ticket process like this, I would still go. Better yet, post all the In-depth quizzes online and have the community go through them and redflag people they believe need to be looked into. That would be more Burningman-esque by involving the community. Lets hear some more ideas on how to improve this already decent, little personally invasive idea. Perhaps some of the well know burners, or those on Eplaya can use there account to varify their identification. Obiously a bunch of new accounts would be started, but these mods are pretty fuckin awesome in the fact where I'm sure they can recognize who is an actually contributor to the forum v.s. people that joined to bypass the I.D. portion of the registration.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:17 am

I will take this opportunity to volunteer to head the verification line squad before Eric gets a chance at it.

dibs.
Don't link to anything here!

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30 am

My idea is so simple I'm surprised no one has come up with it yet. We just need a bridge & have Larry dress like an old man.

Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is the third principal?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:36 am

And upon exodus everyone is drug tested & whoever tests negative is not allowed back for 2 years. :lol:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Killbuck
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Killbuck » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:31 am

I just blew milk outa my nose!!!
Visit SIDESHOW at our kewl website http://sideshow2017.weebly.com

C187
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:58 pm

DeepBlue wrote:NUMBER 1 :: Require an image of government-issued ID that matches ticket name. If ticket name does not match credit card name, an additional ID must be provided that does match the credit card name.
1) Some people simply never get a drivers license, or a state issued ID. It could be because they have no need to drive, or the income to afford a car. It could be because they state they live in limits information about state issued ID, or the only place they could get one isn't close, or holds hours that are hard to meet. Spend a summer working turf for just about any political campaign and you will be amazed about how many people don't have a photo ID.
2) Burners are like cats.
DeepBlue wrote:NUMBER 2 :: Require a recent, easily-identifiable photo of the person that matches ID photo. Art project option: I would suggest going so far as requiring everyone to submit a photo of themselves holding a "I <3 Burning Man <real name>" sign for additional authenticity. Burners can have the opportunity to opt-in to a photo collage, creating thousands of fun pictures of real burners showing off their stuff. Maybe we can get an awesome 50K+ photo collage of burners because of this!
1) Some people make their living pushing pixels, what makes you think they can't put themselves in a photo holding a sign?
2) What makes you think those that don't make a living pushing pixels wouldn't try as well?
3) Have you ever been a door girl/boy or bouncer at a club? People blur together by midnight. Now make that club hold 50k worth of people and half of them attempting to get in with-in eight hours of the club opening.
4) Why should I or anyone else conform to the dogma of "I <3 Burning Man"?
DeepBlue wrote:NUMBER 3 :: Require the completion of an in-depth, Burning Man quiz which emphasizes what BM is all about. This not only ensures all of the ticket holders are educated about burning man, but that whoever is scalping the tickets can see what the Burning mentality is. This process will force someone to learn about the event. If done properly, (and smart enough tech guys get behind this) the questions can be randomized so it would be nearly impossible for a computer to fill out the survey.
1) See number 4, above.
2) A persons view point of the event, and "what it's all about" will change over the years and by what they do at the event. A person who volunteers the whole event with one of the departments is going to have a different take on the event versus someone who spent the whole event running a theme camp. Interpretation is interpretation.
3) A scalper isn't going to care what the cookie cutter philosophy is, nor will it stop them. They've committed themselves to buying tickets to resell for a profit long before the quiz anyway.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:02 pm

C187 wrote:
DeepBlue wrote:...NUMBER 3 :: Require the completion of an in-depth, Burning Man quiz which emphasizes what BM is all about. This not only ensures all of the ticket holders are educated about burning man, but that whoever is scalping the tickets can see what the Burning mentality is. This process will force someone to learn about the event. If done properly, (and smart enough tech guys get behind this) the questions can be randomized so it would be nearly impossible for a computer to fill out the survey.
1) See number 4, above.
2) A persons view point of the event, and "what it's all about" will change over the years and by what they do at the event. A person who volunteers the whole event with one of the departments is going to have a different take on the event versus someone who spent the whole event running a theme camp. Interpretation is interpretation.
I have to think that once all the questions are answered once that they answers can be programmed into a computer, so the randomization won't make any difference.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”