New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
nncoco

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Post by nncoco » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:49 pm

inthecolumbiagorge wrote:
Dave Matthews at the gorge for Labor day weekend is sounding mighty fine right about now!
Maybe Burning Man is not for you...

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 pm

STEP depends on people turning in tickets they don't want or need. That is where the tickets in STEP come from.

hotmess
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Post by hotmess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 pm

So confused right and hurt right now. We have been doing our camp for 5 years but never registered. We fit all the criteria but do not have "contact points within the organization". I guess that means we are shit out of luck.

And with STEP I signed up for me and my BF as it was going to be his first time out there. Now, if I am lucky enough I will get 1 ticket. Ahhhhh, this is a sad day. :cry:

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 pm

My camp has been attending for years in various forms, only some of us have applied for official placement, Pillow Punch Camp, as I recall, but we've been small enough and mobile enough in our services (mutant vehicles, workshops, etc.) that we didn't need placement, so we didn't ask for it. If, 5 or 10 years ago, we had known about this eventual debacle, we would have forced the placement issue every year. We would have made sure that we met the arbitrary requirements of an "established theme camp". Not only did we get clobbered by the lottery, we got clobbered by not being an "established theme camp" by the latest policy's definition. So our group of 36 has fallen through the cracks.

Clearly this band-aid was the best policy decision that the LLC could have made given its craptacular implementation of a lottery. It prevents every bunch of leeches on the block from claiming theme camp status in a bid for more tickets. In many ways, it was what had to be done. But if fucks me. If fucks my camp. AGAIN. I am pissed.

Ironically, this policy decision which fucks my group so badly, so completely, is one of the few which garners any shred of respect from me after the total failure of the executive team I have witnessed up to this point. At least they finally recognized that the fuck-up is so critical, the new climate of shortage is so volatile, that they had to do something serious--even if I don't like the particular brand of triage we're seeing and feel it could have been prevented by competent management.

I maintain that while the original six were the right ones to define the culture and to grow it, the event has outgrown their ability to manage, and that they need to hire a team of professionals who really understand the use of policy as a strategic tool if the festival is to grow further without destroying its core. MBA's with a track-record in running big non-profits are probably better than MFA's in photography or art education for this particular task. Sorry, but I have to call a spade a spade here.

In its attempt to repair the shortsightedness of its previous policy, the LLC has created a new spectre of preference that it will have to face in future years. It was probably the right call for this year. But mark my words, this policy of giving those who meet a fairly narrow definition of "value" will rear its head in future years. So it will require another band-aid in 2013 to do something about the frightening implications of this one, and so on, and so on... they bought themselves a year to get some competent help and author some real, methodically engineered policy. 2012 is the cataclysm, 2013 the event will be reborn as fundamentally different. It's gone too far to ever be the same, so an infusion of real strategic leadership is the only rational choice. After what I've seen of the board through its policy and process, the board needs help, high powered help, from outside our community; when leadership becomes too inbred, the organization gets sick and deformed.

I hope the LLC knows how to recognize that it's out of its depth, and that it's time to call in reinforcements--professionals who are trained, and have formalized methodology for architecting strategy and policy. Shooting from the hip isn't enough. Loving the principles isn't enough. Being a burner isn't enough. Only being a professional is enough.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

howstricks
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Permagrin

Post by howstricks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:54 pm

nncoco wrote:
Dave Matthews at the gorge for Labor day weekend is sounding mighty fine right about now!
Maybe it's not for you!

Pretty upset this is limited to 1 per person, this basically sinks my plans for the main burn. :( Regionals it is! :)
Last edited by howstricks on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alt12

Post by alt12 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:55 pm

monte wrote:a sad day for Burning Man... :(
truly.... total and complete capitulation on core values. we now have an official LLC-sanctioned elite class....

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:57 pm

wraith wrote:
Milayna wrote:Looks like for me it's gonna be sea kayaking and camping on the Channel Islands last week of August.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be a section of the Appalacian Trail this year.
If you haven't done it yet, Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. Nicest portion and I've been from Springer to Katahdin.
Sic Semper Spectatores

idletide

Post by idletide » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Tuff tuff decision, but I think it is the right one. If you can't maintain the core of Burning Man, then it turns into just another festival. In order for it to remain the special event that it is, you need to have a minimum percentage of veterans who set the tone of the event. I think the aftermarket will be strong, so don't freak out too much about not getting a ticket yet. It isn't over yet!!

juanita

Post by juanita » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Marian just posted an update to some of the questions that are being posed in the blog comments:

Maid Marian Says:
February 15th, 2012 at 7:22 pm
I will update the post to clarify some of the questions above:

1) We are still looking at name-based ticketing. It’s not easy, very complicated, means participants have to jump through hoops, make transferring tickets more complicated for 2012. Not done with the question yet. STEP is Will Call only, as is Low Income so that’s a initially useful response to the “scalper” question. We have to weigh the issues and impact of each decision carefully.

2) unfortunately, yes. the STEP program does not favor those who didn’t game the system and registered for a spouse, SO or sibling. We couldn’t resolve how to minimize hoarding with the second round so that’s the decision we made. We are hoping the BLM will make some decisions to help our population restrictions so we can open up more tickets in a few months, that’s the only hope I can lend in that regard. Also, there are some sympathetic ticket holders right now that seem to be helping people out.

(edited for spelling! Poised/posed... duh!)
Last edited by juanita on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

alt12

Post by alt12 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:59 pm

hotmess wrote:So confused right and hurt right now. We have been doing our camp for 5 years but never registered. We fit all the criteria but do not have "contact points within the organization". I guess that means we are shit out of luck.

And with STEP I signed up for me and my BF as it was going to be his first time out there. Now, if I am lucky enough I will get 1 ticket. Ahhhhh, this is a sad day. :cry:
"Contact points" is codeword for friends in the LLC: let the insider friends-of-Larry circle-jerk free-for all begin. I find this concept so repulsive and sickening. Its like the antithesis of everything that I thought burning man was. First randomize the process so everyone gets equally fucked, then add in a little elitism at the end for the last 10,000 tickets.... Lovely.

marcgorcey

Post by marcgorcey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 pm

mshaman, I think you're right.

I don't begrudge them for doing their best but they aren't succeeding and I don't think we have to say that they are just to be positive. I do think the burn will come back again in its old form next year, especially if we see (as I suspect) tickets being scalped in a few months.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:It's too bad they took down the Tickets thread from 2011. As late as August 28 there were tickets available at cost. People cancel out, get arrested, change jobs, die, and so on. Burners are a particularly unreliable group to follow through with last-minute plans. Do not change your plans to get to the desert. Things will work out. This will be my 14th year and I've seen it all. So cheer up and we'll see you in the dust.
+10000...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 pm

moonwatcher wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Doc's right. There's going to be plenty of opportunity outside STEP. Of course, if you're coming from overseas you might want to research some alternate. Just because of the expense, and it's gonna be harder to work your local network.
I understand all about the positive thinking, etc.
But realistically, if you need to travel - from overseas or even from 2-3 days away, you need to make some arrangements: vacation time, rentals, etc. Unless you KNOW you have tickets, you may be wasting your time. Plus, not everyone has access to a "local network" to find tickets to find tickets at or near face-value.
This probably ends Burning Man 2012 for a lot of people. Which I believe is the unstated purpose of the one-ticket STEP approach.
Of course it's up to people to decide the amount of risk they are willing to go through. My post wasn't really about positive thinking so much as it was about being open to doing something else in the rv instead. I happen to think that unplanned road trips are fun. It's a different "energy" than the burn, but wonderful in its own way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

nncoco wrote:
Ick...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

moonwatcher
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Now that STEP is essentially limited to singles (or people lucky enough to be associated with already ticketed people), I think that this is what we will see this year:
when scalpers start selling their tickets, only rich couples will be able to buy them. People who don't care about the face value ideal. Look for an influx of rich couples at Burning Man this year.
It will be an interesting year...
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

hotmess
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Post by hotmess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm

alt12 wrote:"Contact points" is codeword for friends in the LLC: let the insider friends-of-Larry circle-jerk free-for all begin. I find this concept so repulsive and sickening. Its like the antithesis of everything that I thought burning man was. First randomize the process so everyone gets equally fucked, then add in a little elitism at the end for the last 10,000 tickets.... Lovely.
Sickened is how I feel, THAT'S IT!!!!! I didn't know this was a VIP sort of party.

hardhat

Post by hardhat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 pm

So 2012 will go down in BM History as the year of ENTITLEMENT. It's all about who ya know and the squeeky wheel...The Status Quo wins at Black Rock City...if you cry loud enough they will pat you on the back and change the rules to suit you. I truly believe this is wrong on numerous levels...BM is changed forever it truly is an elitist society governed by puppets...
Last edited by hardhat on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:13 pm

mshaman wrote: I hope the LLC knows how to recognize that it's out of its depth, and that it's time to call in reinforcements--professionals who are trained, and have formalized methodology for architecting strategy and policy. Shooting from the hip isn't enough. Loving the principles isn't enough. Being a burner isn't enough. Only being a professional is enough.
I'm beginning to think there's nothing that will make people happy at this point. I think the point at this time is to find a way to bring our best minds together as org, participants, veterans, and people who give a damn to try to unfuck everything. Suggesting everyone fire themselves and hire their replacements seems unhelpful. I mean, hey, even if that happened, I can guarantee you that with professionals we'll get Burning Man, sponsored by Taco Bell.

Problems have levels. BMORG are the only ones who can possibly unfuck things at their level. We all have an opportunity to try to unfuck things at our level. Some of us have given up on theme camps this year as our camps have also had our ranks depleted and are trying to participate individually, as rangers, customs, DPW, and other ways we can participate and contribute individually. The rest staying home are focusing on regional activities.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Demonstrating how you got the name Sage.

I'm not happy to read all the bitterness, even though I totally understand why. I don't think they made a wise choice either, although on a different reason than most people are citing. But I'm going to have to separate myself from the board and let people be bitter. I'm out of town this weekend, so it will be easier for me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

moonwatcher
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:16 pm

juanita wrote:Marian just posted an update to some of the questions that are being posed in the blog comments:

2) unfortunately, yes. the STEP program does not favor those who didn’t game the system and registered for a spouse, SO or sibling. We couldn’t resolve how to minimize hoarding with the second round so that’s the decision we made. We are hoping the BLM will make some decisions to help our population restrictions so we can open up more tickets in a few months, that’s the only hope I can lend in that regard.

So, let me make sure I understand this, you played by the rules the first time and got screwed. Then, because you played by the rules, you get screwed a second time. Nice!
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

piehole
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

Post by piehole » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm

ALRIGHT EVERYBODY JUST CALM DOWN

turn up your speakers and listen to this:

[youtube][/youtube]

and then go to bed
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:17 pm

moonwatcher wrote:I also do not mind the 10K tickets going to established camps.
But limiting STEP to one ticket is drastic and really unfair - especially if you previously registered for 2 tickets. If you registered for 2 tickets in the lottery (only, and only once), you should be able to have a chance at 2 tickets in STEP.
+ this

Difficult regarding registered/placed camps vs. the unofficial camps, but the lines has to be drawn somewhere somehow, and to maximize the greatest chance of an event successfully presenting the Burning Man culture to so many Virgins. Everyone is between a rock and a hard place. But it looks like the more independent unofficial camps, no matter the value they've brought in the past and the crucial value they could bring to a veteran scarce year, are not even up to bat for the assistance given placed camps.

I'm not affiliated with an official placed camp, but I understand...

HOWEVER,

I registered once for one ticket. Restricting a STEP entry to a single ticket increases my chances of getting a ticket - but it is not fair!

A STEP entry should be for the original number of tickets you registered for in the main lottery, be it one or two.

FIX THIS!

I assume that in the unlikely event that STEP runs out of lottery registrants to take available tickets, that they'll open it to the general public (or to those who've attended BM in the past? no, I have no idea how to fairly determine this...).
Last edited by Canoe on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Sheyanah

Post by Sheyanah » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:18 pm

I had been going over all the different ways BMORG could have responded to this crisis, and though I was scared of what might happen to the remaining 10,000 tickets, (which is what seems to BE happening), I am not giving up hope that my fiance & I will get to the playa in August. We didn't register for the main sale due to lack of funds until our tax return came in, so STEP isn't an option for us since it is only being offered to those who registered. We assumed we'd have a shot at the remaining open-sale tickets in March. With STEP & the open sale now closed-off to us, my initial reaction was dispair & hopelessness. However, I REFUSE to give up!! I also refuse to go the route of purchasing tickets thru scalpers. With this being our 1st burn, (and our honeymoon), we had originally planned to simply volunteer our time & talents to groups in need once we got to the playa, and to not join a theme camp so that we could feel them out & see which ones we would fit in with the best for years to follow. My thoughts have now changed on this. I see that we will need to collaborate w/ fellow established burners in order to even have a shot at making it out there. I foresee spending a shit-ton of time on Eplaya in the coming months... it's not over til it's over. I think BMORG did the best they could with the situation, and I am happy to hear that core projects, camps, and burners will be able to go home once again. I hope beyond hope that we'll be among them <3
"I gotta go google some goggles."

Chiroptera
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Chiroptera » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Yeah that really bums me out. Living in Reno- I started going to Burning Man in 95 when I was 16. I feel like many others do about the situation...rejected. I was hoping for another chance at STEP to get tickets. I agree with a previous post- many of us did the "right thing". We didn't use mass credit cards to secure tickets. We used one. Now I read that those who were denied are only allowed one ticket not two. That is extremely disappointing.

alt12

Post by alt12 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Sage Venkman wrote:
I'm beginning to think there's nothing that will make people happy at this point. I think the point at this time is to find a way to bring our best minds together as org, participants, veterans, and people who give a damn to try to unfuck everything. Suggesting everyone fire themselves and hire their replacements seems unhelpful. I mean, hey, even if that happened, I can guarantee you that with professionals we'll get Burning Man, sponsored by Taco Bell.

Problems have levels. BMORG are the only ones who can possibly unfuck things at their level. We all have an opportunity to try to unfuck things at our level. Some of us have given up on theme camps this year as our camps have also had our ranks depleted and are trying to participate individually, as rangers, customs, DPW, and other ways we can participate and contribute individually. The rest staying home are focusing on regional activities.
maybe there isn't, but this isn't about making people happy, this is about compromising on core values and creating an elitist system where those with the best connections get in....

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Sage Venkman wrote:
mshaman wrote: I hope the LLC knows how to recognize that it's out of its depth, and that it's time to call in reinforcements--professionals who are trained, and have formalized methodology for architecting strategy and policy. Shooting from the hip isn't enough. Loving the principles isn't enough. Being a burner isn't enough. Only being a professional is enough.

Umm, I've functioned at their level in a corporation that had similar annual revenue. I then owned one that had an annual revenue that was around 25% of theirs. I can tell you, they're out of their depth. I'm not suggesting they fire themselves and hire a bunch of corporate raiders. I'm saying that the board needs new blood on it, a mixture of experience and fresh influence, and there needs to be an Executive Director who reports to the board, like any rational non-profit. But oh, wait, the LLC isn't a non-profit, it is a for profit corporation that is privately held and has zero accountability to its constituents.

Regarding STEP: They limited it to one for a reason. There are hardly any tickets that will flow into step.

Does anyone really know of a lot of folks that are sitting on tickets? Seriously? The only folks I know who have tickets are redistributing them to their playa family. The few that are out there aren't hitting STEP. There are some rare high-minded burners with extra tickets that they are selling only into STEP. Great. I'm glad they're moral and ethical. But they're also a drop in the ocean.

If they let people buy two tickets in STEP, there would only be 3 people on the playa who got them and felt fulfilled by the program. Instead they can have 6 that feel half-full. Woot.

Regarding Elitism: I posted it above, but it has frightening implications that will rear their heads in future years.... this is only the beginning of the policy mess for the LLC, not the end. Please, if you're reading this, board members, hire some real help, experienced help, professional help, that isn't part of the culture; at the executive level, the culture has gotten inbred and unhealthy.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Sage Venkman wrote:I'm beginning to think there's nothing that will make people happy at this point.
WE HAVE A WINNER!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

LegendZero

Post by LegendZero » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Canoe wrote:
moonwatcher wrote:I also do not mind the 10K tickets going to established camps.
But limiting STEP to one ticket is drastic and really unfair - especially if you previously registered for 2 tickets. If you registered for 2 tickets in the lottery (only, and only once), you should be able to have a chance at 2 tickets in STEP.
+ this

I registered once for one ticket. Restricting a STEP entry to single ticket increases the chances of my getting a ticket - but it is not fair.

A STEP entry should be for the original number of tickets you registered for in the main lottery, be it one or two.

FIX THIS!
Thank you, this is the worst part in about this whole mess, families are being told to split up or not to go and that is wrong on so many levels.

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm

moonwatcher wrote:
juanita wrote:Marian just posted an update to some of the questions that are being posed in the blog comments:

2) unfortunately, yes. the STEP program does not favor those who didn’t game the system and registered for a spouse, SO or sibling. We couldn’t resolve how to minimize hoarding with the second round so that’s the decision we made. We are hoping the BLM will make some decisions to help our population restrictions so we can open up more tickets in a few months, that’s the only hope I can lend in that regard.

So, let me make sure I understand this, you played by the rules the first time and got screwed. Then, because you played by the rules, you get screwed a second time. Nice!
But wait, the dangling carrot of 'maybe more tickets will open up later' is the new Great White Hope! :roll:

Seriously, folks. It should be pretty common sense that 'Well, I think I'll go to the Burn' isn't a spur of the moment thing for most of us, and that there's no way in -hell- to organize and prepare the kind of interaction folks want to provide on the basis of maybe getting tickets in July or August.

Give it a Condition Alpha level storm out there this year with a population (by the most optimistic estimates) mostly made up of newbies, and this will be a clusterfuck of event-ending scale. :|

nncoco

Post by nncoco » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Does anyone really know of a lot of folks that are sitting on tickets? Seriously? The only folks I know who have tickets are redistributing them to their playa family. The few that are out there aren't hitting STEP. There are some rare high-minded burners with extra tickets that they are selling only into STEP. Great. I'm glad they're moral and ethical. But they're also a drop in the ocean.
Many people will be dropping out late as they do each year. People without connections or local Craig's list demand will be grateful for STEP.

I apologize for my comment above. Radical inclusion also includes those who think that Dave Matthews does not suck ass.
Last edited by nncoco on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”