New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: New Blog - Ticket Update: Rebuilding Black Rock City 201

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:It's too bad they took down the Tickets thread from 2011. As late as August 28 there were tickets available at cost. People cancel out, get arrested, change jobs, die, and so on. Burners are a particularly unreliable group to follow through with last-minute plans. Do not change your plans to get to the desert. Things will work out. This will be my 14th year and I've seen it all. So cheer up and we'll see you in the dust.
It's still there, completely accessible. You just have to go to the "Past Events" page.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 pm

The CO wrote:
Sage Venkman wrote:I'm beginning to think there's nothing that will make people happy at this point.
WE HAVE A WINNER!
Yay! I request bacon as a prize.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:33 pm

alt12 wrote: maybe there isn't, but this isn't about making people happy, this is about compromising on core values and creating an elitist system where those with the best connections get in....
I think what it's really about is how to pull off BM 2012 with as close to the normal Burning Man culture as possible with 40% Virgins so far. The next 10,000 tickets going as they plan will up the numbers returning with and to-present the Burning Man culture. A lot will be missing, and a lot will miss out, but for 2012, with the lead time required for so many camps, to get 2012 off the ground and on the playa, the hard decisions had to be made.

Looks like I'll be watching BM 2012 from the web cam live feed.

p.s. Do they have internet access at the Gorge?
Last edited by Canoe on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 pm

The one thing I don't understand about the one ticket per registrant in STEP is that it doesn't help eliminate hoarding or help burners plan their trips. It encourages people who need two to take one and hope for another. When they can't get another legitimately, they either go for a scalper, or sell. Which means a late summer glut of tickets which only benefits west coasters who can drive there and last minute partiers.
Sic Semper Spectatores

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Demonstrating how you got the name Sage.

I'm not happy to read all the bitterness, even though I totally understand why. I don't think they made a wise choice either, although on a different reason than most people are citing. But I'm going to have to separate myself from the board and let people be bitter. I'm out of town this weekend, so it will be easier for me.
Cryptofishist, I'm sorry this thread and evidently my post is landing as bitterness; it isn't my intention to go around hurting people's feelings. I'm not bitter yet, but very emphatic. I don't know who you are to the board, or if you're perhaps even a board member, and with all due respect, it doesn't matter; I have to speak out about this issue until something is done about it. When the LLC announced this policy, it created an activist. I wrote letters the instant the lottery was announced, predicting every negative outcome that has come to pass. I'm not claiming to be clairvoyant or even smart. Armed with the knowledge that people will act in their own interest, and that the job of the executive team is to create policy that aligns individual interests with with organizational interests, the lottery was immediately visible as bad policy.

This latest decision is an act of wartime policy; triage. To use a metaphor, structurally excluding so many, so completely, is the BM equivalent of internment camps for Japanese-Americans in WWII; it was unmanagable to sift people out individually in an emergency, so sweeping decisions were made in an attempt to respond to an existence-threatening situation (attack on Pearl Harbor). If allowed to extend into peacetime (Burning Man 2013), this policy will be the end of peace. So it was the right call for the moment. But not the duration.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

ChillaBurns

Post by ChillaBurns » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 pm

SUBJECT: Black Market City - 2012 - I'm a Burner, Not a Scalper..........TWO TOPICS on the S.T.E.P. debaucle; PLEASE----Let us buy TWO tickets 'at least' (instead of one)---- AND Second--PLEASE mail us our tickets instead of us having to wait at Will call to pick them up after driving 12 hours, then waiting 3 to 5 hours in the main line, just to get in another WILL CALL line for another hour or more. HELLO!!! If for some miraculous way that we actually get 'ONE' ticket through STEP, Why is BM making us pick up tickets at Will-call?? Ridiculous! Mail me my ticket please. If I can't go for some reason then I will let BRC know. I promise!! STEP program is silly with only one ticket being allowed when I ordered two in the first go around. One for me and one for my wife. She didn't apply for tickets and now we are regretting it. But then maybe we would have accidentally gotten 4 tickets and we would have had to sell them in STEP. Silly and a pain in the ass. Why is BM so worried about scalpers anyway? sheesh. Get over it. STEP should allow us to buy two tickets. And also, why I'm disappointed. And Thrilled. Why?!?! I'm thrilled that so many new people will get to enjoy BRC. I'm disappointed as most that the ticketing situation is such a issue.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Why is BM so worried about scalpers anyway? sheesh. Get over it.
I love it!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

aidenus
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Fer Sherbert

Post by aidenus » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Don't know how I feel about this one... :shock:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

That's refreshing. I give you all the permission you need to process this before declaring any feelings about it what so ever.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

alt12 wrote:"Contact points" is codeword for friends in the LLC: let the insider friends-of-Larry circle-jerk free-for all begin.
I'm not going to get in the way of the bitterness & anger (I was one of the people who didn't enter the Lottery because I was planning on buying in the open sale, while I'm still optimistic by nature I am a bit shaken for the moment), I do want to clarify this point (unofficially- this is not a pass down from the Org): a "Contact point" can be way more than a member of the board or a "friend of Larry": if you've ever had a registered theme camp you've had a Placer (more than likely you've had a few), that would be a Contact Point; if you volunteer for one of the Departments you have a Department Head- again, a Contact Point; for MV's you've worked with DMV Hotties: Contact Points.

Basically it's just someone within the Org you've worked with- that person who sends your emails on the Theme Camp List, or your Volunteer List... someone who knows you. There's a good chance they're a volunteer themselves.
VultureChow wrote:The one thing I don't understand about the one ticket per registrant in STEP is that it doesn't help eliminate hoarding or help burners plan their trips. It encourages people who need two to take one and hope for another. When they can't get another legitimately, they either go for a scalper, or sell.
Ticket Update Blog wrote:You may only purchase one ticket through STEP; this ticket is non-transferable and can only be held at Will Call. A STEP ticket is only for you.
Once you've bought a ticket in STEP, it's yours. Period. I don't see anything in the blog about returning it to STEP if you decide you don't want it, but there is definitely no way for it to be scalped or sold.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut

socks

Post by socks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:54 pm

If you must buy from scalpers then do so.BM.org failed us on this from day one.They planed on a secondary market for tickets.The only flaw is the secondary market is in the hands of scalpers.BM.org aka The Gang of Four now is taking away 10,000 tickets from the general sale to give to the "special camps".What the fuck are the rest of us chopped liver?You have told us all that unless you are in a big theme camp you just do not add anything to Black Rock City.And i would give hours of picking up trash on the playa to "support my community" every year i went to the burn.I feel foolish now for the time i spent doing that task.I still plan on going home this year even though i still do not have a ticket.I will buy a ticket more than likely from a scalper.I have a wish for the BM.org....May the STD's of 1000 sparkle ponies infest your bodies.

Love socks
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

Mosquitopilate
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Well one more shot at this thing, It is really going to be a crap shoot and my luck is not the best but I am still alive Dammit!! :!: :D )'(
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - [email protected] Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Eric wrote:
VultureChow wrote:The one thing I don't understand about the one ticket per registrant in STEP is that it doesn't help eliminate hoarding or help burners plan their trips. It encourages people who need two to take one and hope for another. When they can't get another legitimately, they either go for a scalper, or sell.
Ticket Update Blog wrote:You may only purchase one ticket through STEP; this ticket is non-transferable and can only be held at Will Call. A STEP ticket is only for you.
Once you've bought a ticket in STEP, it's yours. Period. I don't see anything in the blog about returning it to STEP if you decide you don't want it, but there is definitely no way for it to be scalped or sold.
You're right. I forgot that part. With no way to reissue to STEP, it makes it even harder on couples. And potentially involves wasted tickets if you buy one and can't locate another. Or more pressure to give in to scalpers and get that extra ticket.

Time for another break from the ticket threads. Nothing good happens here.

/i have my one ticket. At last I'll have a ringside seat to the apocalypse.
Sic Semper Spectatores

nightsong

Post by nightsong » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Wow, seriously? So let me get this straight, my husband and I do the right thing and just register once for two tickets and now even through the STEP process only I can get a ticket since he did not register for tickets as well? So all we have hope for is one ticket? Gee, thanks BM, thanks for nothing. You have clearly demonstrated throughout this half assed process that the almighty dollar is the bottom line…you said it yourself, you are worried about ticket sales for 2013. Good thing all of the shiny new people can go this year. I am sure they will all be on board for next year too, good thing because we won’t. You clearly state you are concerned about the experience of all the newcomers. What about the people that go year after year and now can’t so you can make room for the newcomers and ensure they have a great experience? I realize this is nothing but a business decision for you but instead of taking care of the people that have made Burning Man what it is by attending every year you have essentially said “screw all of you, we have new people that are coming instead”. Good luck with that. We are done, after 7 years BM is no more for us. No matter what you do you will never make it what it was because it is gone now. You’re nothing but a for profit business. You think that hand picking the chosen few is really the answer? Wow, BM is worse than the most exclusive country club. Really glad we made it last year. 2011 will become the last great year of Burning Man. So sad it is over, fun while it lasted before the BORG destroyed it with one epically bad decision piled on an even worse decision. Nice job guys.

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Katie Goldman/Broad Comedy - "I Didn't F*ck It Up" A little humor is balm for the aching mind.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

inthecolumbiagorge

Post by inthecolumbiagorge » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm

nncoco wrote:
inthecolumbiagorge wrote:
Dave Matthews at the gorge for Labor day weekend is sounding mighty fine right about now!
Maybe Burning Man is not for you...

Actually is seems this year "it" is only for the lucky and the chosen few. I was in the "lucky" group, but I really do not feel lucky anymore quite frankly. The event of Burning Man is totally "for me", but the ticketing policy making is certainly not. If what you are trying to say is that someone that would like to see Dave Matthews is perhaps not in some way right for Burning Man you are just foolish.

Litup

Post by Litup » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Everyone stop posting for a minute, I have to pee!! :?

Litup

Post by Litup » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 pm

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Litup wrote:Everyone stop posting for a minute, I have to pee!! :?
Me to! I have been holding to read these 3 pages! * pee pee dance*
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Mosquitopilate

Post by Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:12 pm

This is going to be another hair pulling out event, only question I have it says 1st come 1st serve basis is that going to be determined by when you re-register?
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(

moonwatcher
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 pm

VultureChow wrote:The one thing I don't understand about the one ticket per registrant in STEP is that it doesn't help eliminate hoarding or help burners plan their trips. It encourages people who need two to take one and hope for another. When they can't get another legitimately, they either go for a scalper, or sell. Which means a late summer glut of tickets which only benefits west coasters who can drive there and last minute partiers.
I think your scenario is right on. Lots of tickets available in the summer for those willing to buy from scalpers/hoarders.

The problem with STEP, from the BMORG's perspective, is that many of the remaining 2/3 of lottery registrants that did not win are probably multiple registrations for those who gamed the system in the first place and scalpers (a catch-all word for people who never intended to use the tickets but wanted to speculate). By potentially allowing those folks to get *more* tickets, it helps scalpers/hoarders. If this is not an admission that the lottery was a complete fiasco, or at least a poorly-planned ticketing scheme, I do not know what it is.

I guess that if there is a glut of tickets in the summer, and some of these tickets come from Burners, it is possible that legitimate Burners will be able to get face-value tickets - provided, of course, that you do not need a lot of planning and preparation for Burning Man.
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Eric wrote:Once you've bought a ticket in STEP, it's yours. Period. I don't see anything in the blog about returning it to STEP if you decide you don't want it, but there is definitely no way for it to be scalped or sold.
Wow, that makes this whole thing seem like even more of a suck fest.

So couples who get one with step but can't secure a second one elsewhere may have to just abandon the ticket and their money. And the worst part is that the much needed ticket then goes to waste!

Great thinking on that one.

As for cancelling the open sale, anyone who didn't see it coming wasn't looking. As I've stated before, this "all burners are equal but some burners are more equal than others" crap is a dangerously slippery slope to start down. I seriously never imagined that an Orwellian allusion would ever apply to burning man, but it fits this situation so well.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Stephendragonfly
Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Post by Stephendragonfly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 pm

OMG I am so upset over this latest development that I am going to make a big wooden structure, take it to the beach, and burn the BMORG in effigy. Who's with me?? This could be the start of something big...

Seriously, there is absolutely nothing that BORG could have done or said at this point that wouldn't have ticked a lot of people off. It's a mess; it was always going to be a mess; from the minute that the news hit that Burning Man Sold out last year. The additional publicity just before the lotto didn't help, nor have the various responses from the organization, but the real culprits are each and every person who came back from Burning Man and told ten friends how cool it was.

I also think a lot of tickets at or below cost will be on the market two weeks before the event happens, which means a lot of people who go may not have time to properly prepare for life on the Playa.

Could turn out to be the best burn ever or the worst. However it goes it will be interesting.

Litup

Post by Litup » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 pm

tattoogoddess wrote: Me to! I have been holding to read these 3 pages! * pee pee dance*
I can't believe they all stopped posting. I do believe the mustache really does lend to my prestige!

moonwatcher
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Eric wrote:
You're right. I forgot that part. With no way to reissue to STEP, it makes it even harder on couples. And potentially involves wasted tickets if you buy one and can't locate another. Or more pressure to give in to scalpers and get that extra ticket.
Couples left out in the cold by STEP have no choice but to go to scalpers/speculators. Even if I get a ticket via STEP, the second ticket I need can ONLY come from scalpers.
That thought alone is making me reconsider 2012 completely.
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

JRoyale

Post by JRoyale » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 pm

mshaman wrote: Clearly this band-aid was the best policy decision that the LLC could have made given its craptacular implementation of a lottery. It prevents every bunch of leeches on the block from claiming theme camp status in a bid for more tickets. In many ways, it was what had to be done. But if fucks me. If fucks my camp. AGAIN. I am pissed.

Ironically, this policy decision which fucks my group so badly, so completely, is one of the few which garners any shred of respect from me after the total failure of the executive team I have witnessed up to this point. At least they finally recognized that the fuck-up is so critical, the new climate of shortage is so volatile, that they had to do something serious--even if I don't like the particular brand of triage we're seeing and feel it could have been prevented by competent management.

I maintain that while the original six were the right ones to define the culture and to grow it, the event has outgrown their ability to manage, and that they need to hire a team of professionals who really understand the use of policy as a strategic tool if the festival is to grow further without destroying its core. MBA's with a track-record in running big non-profits are probably better than MFA's in photography or art education for this particular task. Sorry, but I have to call a spade a spade here.

In its attempt to repair the shortsightedness of its previous policy, the LLC has created a new spectre of preference that it will have to face in future years. It was probably the right call for this year. But mark my words, this policy of giving those who meet a fairly narrow definition of "value" will rear its head in future years. So it will require another band-aid in 2013 to do something about the frightening implications of this one, and so on, and so on... they bought themselves a year to get some competent help and author some real, methodically engineered policy. 2012 is the cataclysm, 2013 the event will be reborn as fundamentally different. It's gone too far to ever be the same, so an infusion of real strategic leadership is the only rational choice. After what I've seen of the board through its policy and process, the board needs help, high powered help, from outside our community; when leadership becomes too inbred, the organization gets sick and deformed.

I hope the LLC knows how to recognize that it's out of its depth, and that it's time to call in reinforcements--professionals who are trained, and have formalized methodology for architecting strategy and policy. Shooting from the hip isn't enough. Loving the principles isn't enough. Being a burner isn't enough. Only being a professional is enough.
First of all, the LLC is on the way out. Burning Man is converting itself to a non-profit... about 13 years too late in my opinion. But still, change is coming.

Second, just about everyone was caught off base with the surge in demand. Deal.

Third, I know (because I've talk too them) that they are horrified about how this all went down.

Fourth, the normal way to deal with a problem of scarcity is to jack up the price. Is that how you what Burning Man to price tickets in 2013? (which they won't do) but honestly, any other method of allocating a scarce resource is difficult and prone to failure.

Third,

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Eric wrote:Once you've bought a ticket in STEP, it's yours. Period. I don't see anything in the blog about returning it to STEP if you decide you don't want it, but there is definitely no way for it to be scalped or sold.
Wow, that makes this whole thing seem like even more of a suck fest.

So couples who get one with step but can't secure a second one elsewhere may have to just abandon the ticket and their money. And the worst part is that the much needed ticket then goes to waste!
Note that I didn't say you couldn't return the ticket to STEP, I said I didn't see anything in the blog about it. Hopefully they will clarify that.

Litup wrote:I can't believe they all stopped posting. I do believe the mustache really does lend to my prestige!
God I wish mustaches granted prestige...

Eric ShutterSlut

Mosquitopilate

Post by Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 pm

I have no choice I am still fighting...I am not giving up! :!:

urvile

Post by urvile » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 pm

For dog's sake people, STEP or scalpers is not going to be the ONLY way to get a ticket. Tickets have changed hands in plenty of ways prior to it, and they will continue to be. It's a bit early for all the doom and gloom I'm seeing.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”