Only one ticket allowed from step?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
LegendZero

Only one ticket allowed from step?

Postby LegendZero » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:54 pm

So I read the post http://blog.burningman.com/ that seems to say STEP will be FCFS but it says only 1 ticket with confirmation... What happens to couples and to friends who went in on one order for 2 tickets not to game the system? How will we manage to use step to get the tickets needed? My friend and I were both unlucky enough not to receive tickets in to lottery, but there is only 1 credit card request for the 2 of us.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Only one ticket allowed from step?

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:56 pm

It is what it is.. and in black and white to boot. 1 registration, 1 ticket.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Yes, it sucks. A lot of people are upset, and I don't blame them.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MIse

Postby MIse » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Seriously unfair, punishing those who played by the rules.....

I seriously thought there was a hope for my camp of 4 until I saw this, now with only 2 entries in the lottery between us we only have a chance of 2 tickets, heartbroken :cry:

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 pm

"Unfortunately, yes. the STEP program does not favor those who didn’t game the system and registered for a spouse, SO or sibling. We couldn’t resolve how to minimize hoarding with the second round so that’s the decision we made. We are hoping the BLM will make some decisions to help our population restrictions so we can open up more tickets in a few months, that’s the only hope I can lend in that regard. Also, there are some sympathetic ticket holders right now that seem to be helping people out."

This is like in the 1980s when you camped out for Ozzy tickets and had to be ready to beat the snot out of some Darryl who tried to bully his way in front of everybody. Ticketmaster didn't give a fuck. They just wanted to sell x-amount of tickets.

One of our core members ordered two tickets but was only charged for one. That means they're not even eligible to get ONE through STEP even though they won the lottery. I can't imagine that we're established or popular enough to receive theme camp tickets, so, even though I've already completed our placement questionnaire, we're probably superfucked.

They already said that expanding capacity was off the table per the BLM. Assuming they DO offer more tickets, couples are still left out. Is Black Rock City is now America's largest and most exclusive singles party? I cannot invest $1000+ in a camp project with the hope that MAYBE if my wife and I get ONE ticket through STEP, we'll be able to find a "sympathetic ticket holder" somewhere down the road.

This just FUCKED EVERY COUPLE WHO DIDN'T CHEAT AND REWARDED THOSE WHO DID. This is why people on Wall Street cheat, why people cheat on their taxes, why people scalp tickets, why people sneak in, why people game systems. Cheating works. The org did a great job of saving the artists and the camps, but in the meantime, they've broken up families and couples--but only the honest ones.

If you gamed the ticketing system and won, an honest burner doesn't get to go. Good job, and I hope you have a fucking awesome burn.
Last edited by ZaphodBurner on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Jenifersteppat
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I don't agree with the decisions made, frankly I think the true Burning Man spirit would have been to let the chips fall where they may and shake things up, camps get new blood etc. as this smacks too much of in "in" groups or "members only clubs" - it creates an elite group of people, BUT at least I understand it and therefore can accept the 10,000 being off the table.

That being said, there is NO LOGIC to fucking over the couples who played by the rules and registered for the two tickets they needed (at top tier) even though we had the means to game the system. Not being able to figure out how to prevent hoarding??? Its too late for that! Don't screw over the Burners who followed the principles! Allowing only one ticket through STEP REWARDS those who already got tickets registered under one name but didn't under the other names/cards they used and can now possibly get MORE. This is the nail in the coffin for me. This is not the event that I was so in love with. I might as well go join my local country club. Peace out all!
No matter where you go, there you are.

Jenifersteppat

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 pm

And PS - I would not have a SHRED of guilt about buying a scalped ticket at this point.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 pm

You're angry at the llc for fucking over the community, so you're going to fuck over the community?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Jenifersteppat

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

The "community" does not give a shit about people who played fair. I really don't see it as fucking over the "community" at this point. But don't worry, I will not scalp a ticket because this is not the "community" I wanted to be a part of. As said before - I can understand all the other decisions but this one is really indefensible by anyone with a scrap of fucking logic.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:35 pm

Jenifersteppat wrote:I don't agree with the decisions made, frankly I think the true Burning Man spirit would have been to let the chips fall where they may and shake things up, camps get new blood etc. as this smacks too much of in "in" groups or "members only clubs" - it creates an elite group of people, BUT at least I understand it and therefore can accept the 10,000 being off the table.

That being said, there is NO LOGIC to fucking over the couples who played by the rules and registered for the two tickets they needed (at top tier) even though we had the means to game the system. Not being able to figure out how to prevent hoarding??? Its too late for that! Don't screw over the Burners who followed the principles! Allowing only one ticket through STEP REWARDS those who already got tickets registered under one name but didn't under the other names/cards they used and can now possibly get MORE. This is the nail in the coffin for me. This is not the event that I was so in love with. I might as well go join my local country club. Peace out all!

I'm willing to bet money (notmuch) that the one ticket per registration is meant to make the coding for inticketing easier. The majority of tickets will be submitted to STEP singly. It would be an extra step to offer the next available ticket to a registrant who requested two.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:36 pm

The llc and the community are not the same. Look at all the other people posting their outrage. That's whom you intend to fuck over.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Jenifersteppat

Postby Jenifersteppat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm

I see several communities: Those who got tickets (a good percentage who gamed the system). The "In" crowds (theme camps etc.) who are ecstatic now and not even thinking about anything else or the integrity of the event as long as there "group" is able to party, and another ecstatic group of people who gamed the system and now have a chance to get EVEN more tickets in STEP for all those registrations that did not get picked. Wow, being a cheating asshole really does pay. It is no longer inclusive. Period.

On a funny note, I see a big imbalance of guys to gals this year as I know there are some but not many girls willing to go it alone....

moonrise

Postby moonrise » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Sorry ZaphoidBurner! It's obvious you're passionate about the burn.

What pisses me off the most are the over-the-top lottery defenders, especially the one(s) that gamed the system. I wish I could expose them (they'd stop their phony dancing in a hurry, that's for sure). It''ll be interesting to see how their burn went, eh, they'll just lie and say it was "epic" or some other lame thing.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:48 pm

moonrise wrote:Sorry ZaphoidBurner! It's obvious you're passionate about the burn.

What pisses me off the most are the over-the-top lottery defenders, especially the one(s) that gamed the system. I wish I could expose them (they'd stop their phony dancing in a hurry, that's for sure). It''ll be interesting to see how their burn went, eh, they'll just lie and say it was "epic" or some other lame thing.

What do you mean...wish you could. Of course you can. There's that old saying wish in one hand shit in the other...
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

socks

Postby socks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:58 pm

BM.org has split our community in half.Now they want to split up families too.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

feistypenguin

Postby feistypenguin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Unfortunately since I registered for myself and my S.O, I am also one of the ones "screwed" by the one-ticket-per-step-registrant policy... but at this point BMOrg is in damage control mode. Making everyone happy isn't a luxury they can afford anymore. I think this also underscores the fact that politics is an element of human nature. Make any event big enough and introduce scarcity into the system, and you will suddenly see all kinds of institutions that emerge... tribes and groups who must lobby a central authority to gain favors (in this case tickets) and protect or secure their presence on the playa. God this sounds familiar...

My S.O. is a teacher and had to put in for her time off almost a year in advance, so we WILL be going to the West Coast during the Burning Man event... we just might have to do something different if we can't get/afford tickets in time. Grand Canyon, maybe? Para-sailing? I've never been to the West Coast so I'm open to suggestions!

Minor gripes aside, I'm glad they are at least making STEP exclusive to registrants. We will have slightly better odds at getting tickets if others can't jump in after seeing the uber demand. Mine won't be as good as the "gamers," and I'll have to rely on the black/grey market for the S.O.'s ticket, but c'est la vie.

No sense worrying at this point; I have a lot of time to work out options before opting for a plan B.
Last edited by feistypenguin on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After painstakingly researching the new ticket sale system, I have deduced that there is an inverse relationship between fretting about the ticket system, and the length of time one is able to stay aroused during coitus. Please spread the word!

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 pm

This shit just keeps getting weirder and weirder...
haven't given up yet though! I think there will be more tickets available later this summer. I am fortunate enough to live fairly close to BRC so travel plans aren't an issue and I have most all my gear. So yeah.....
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:48 pm

Y'all are right, just another way to leave you out in the cold.

Not that your chances to get two tickets were very good anyway, now that the great hope of 10,000 tickets just evaporated.

Seriously, they need to just take ALL the tickets back and start over. This is BS.
dust.

Bexx
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby Bexx » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:13 pm

This is really upsetting. I put in for 2 tix @ the highest price.. For myself, my 3rd year.. And my Husband, his 2nd. I really want us both there.. I know, even though he says he doesn't mind not going.. He really would like to. Me, I've been completely changed by BM.. From the minute I hit the dust in 2010. So to only be able to get 1 tix from STEP... Is sad. And I know it's not just me in my camp. We've another couple.. Who have been going to BM for years.. And now they will only be able to get 1 tix... If that.

Badly done...
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!

Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah, don't give up. Tickets will come available, alot of legit burners that do have tickets will still need to stay home for a variety of reasons.

There are still "a lot" of possibilities for us individually - but collectively, with the 10,000 going to preferred burners we are unlikely to all luck out.

Too bad. I'm gonna keep on truckin' though, just as planned. This is gonna be my breakthru year, where I finally had most everything dialed and would just need to grab my gear and go.
dust.

curiousgnate

Postby curiousgnate » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I will be surprised if there are many tickets in the STEP program anyway maybe really late in the game, like july or august some will turn up... and now that the 10,000 are off the table for non-in-burners... everyone else is SOL. pretty fucked up if you ask me. Sould have just let the chips fall where they may and fix this shit for next year!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Jenifersteppat wrote:The "community" does not give a shit about people who played fair. I really don't see it as fucking over the "community" at this point. But don't worry, I will not scalp a ticket because this is not the "community" I wanted to be a part of. As said before - I can understand all the other decisions but this one is really indefensible by anyone with a scrap of fucking logic.

I'm of the same feeling that you are. Virgin burners are, for some reason, so precious and important that honest families have become the scapegoats. The people who think that Burning Man will be better without theme camps can now express their satisfaction that our friends will not be able to celebrate their 10 year anniversary at the temple, as planned, and another couple who met in BRC in 2010, got engaged in BRC in 2011, and have been arranging their wedding in BRC in 2012, are heartbroken and having to face the reality of making alternate plans sooner rather than later.

Theme camps who cheated got all of their tickets in the "Christmas" pre-sale and make excuses for it. Purchasers who gamed the lottery system screwed the lottery system and make excuses for it. Couples who tried to be fair, follow the principles and respect other burners got FUCKED, and people are going to make excuses for it.

Having said all that, as an honest, ticketless burner who probably won't be able to go now, I encourage you to take the high ground. Please do not to take your anger out on the community in general because in doing so you're also hurting the part of the community--the real burners, the ones who understand you-- who adore you for respecting them by doing the right thing.

Black Rock City isn't decaying in front of us because of the thoughtful, respectful burners. It's because of the gamers, cheaters and stupids.

My darling wife, standing over my shoulder, says you should fight for the community you love. I'm trying ridiculously hard to contain my fury and disappointment right now, and not just give up on Burning Man forever, but, I'm fighting for the part of the community that I adore and respect and trying to be the person that I hope others will be, and I hope you and others will do the same. Black Rock City needs honest souls and good karma now more than ever.

Just remember:

The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

b42575p
Camp Name: Red Rubber Tattoo

Postby b42575p » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:17 am

I played by the rules for the lottery, put in for 2 tickets, for my wife and I at all three tiers, got no tickets. Now I can buy 1 ticket (Maybe) in the step program? Guess I will be buying another 1 from the bottom feeding scalpers that everyone loves. Thanks for making this so unbelievably ridiculous Burning Man ticket Gods.
Collectic Mechanic of all things odd, specialties of the uncertainties lost and discovered.

urvile

Postby urvile » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am

I don't anticipate that many tickets moving through STEP anyway, so your odds of getting a STEP tickets will likely be extremely slim. People who have tickets they want to get rid of will give/sell them to friends, etc., first. Of course there will be some people who like the idea of it going to a random stranger, but I still think most will want to give it to specific people.

So stay in touch with your community, because that's where you'll find them.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: PLUNDERGROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 am

Outrage. This is fucking outrageous. I know it has been said before, but what the fucking fuck? FUCK! :evil: My partner and I put in ONE order for TWO tickets. We played by the fucking rules. And now, we will have exclusive access to STEP and maybe, if we're lucky will get the chance to buy only ONE ticket.

Yes, this post is nothing more than a gripe. But I feel betrayed. I have sat with this all day, ranted to friends and processed, and it comes down to betrayal. First I thought it was a ridiculous idea when the lottery was first announced, then annoyed, scared and a little angry when my girlfriend and I didn't not get tickets . Now I feel betrayed. We are not quite fucked, there is still tons of time, tickets will manifest. But it would be damn nice if we could get them soon. This will (was gonna be???) my third year, and we were planning on building an art car, for the first time. And spending a shit load of money on it. And starting on it two weeks ago. And making it awesome, and being awesome with it by actually serving as public transportation for BRC, this stems from the feeling of frustration and rejection from being declined entrance onto a few art cars last year and the year before, they were not full (I would not ask to ride in a full car). I want to be the change I want to see in BRC. For all the greatness of Burning Man I am disgusted by the amount of elitism, nepotism and preferential treatment. I want to bring a badass art car and stop and ask random's if they want rides, instead of telling them they cant ride because they aren't part of "the Crew". And I'll be damned if we're gonna start spending heaps of money and time on an art car if we don't have tickets, or a reasonably good chance of getting them SOON. TWO tickets. For Me and my girlfriend. What we asked for.

The LLC has FAILED. Yes, I recognize that mistakes are made and that we need to accept them as mistakes, but what I see here is downright negligence on the part of a small group of elites who make decisions that directly effect people like you and me. Mistakes are acceptable and forgivable but negligence, not so much...
Help me bring Rock'N'Roll to the Playa! Support The Bonerpillar!

robrob
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Postby robrob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 am

Theme camps who cheated got all of their tickets in the "Christmas" pre-sale and make excuses for it

???

The holiday presale was "cheating" how?

Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:59 am

robrob wrote:
Theme camps who cheated got all of their tickets in the "Christmas" pre-sale and make excuses for it

???

It wasn't really cheating, but radical inclusion it is not. (again, not that I can support that 100% given current circumstances)

To offer 3000 tickets in advance for the highest priced ticket yet, is nothing more than cashing in. $1,260,000

So the first tickets that were bought were sold to people whom $420 isn't alot of money, and guaranteed they wouldn't be screwed in the lottery where the rules change as we go.

And I'll say again, if you bought a $390 ticket you had a better chance to win than a $240 ticket. Again, rewarding those that have more disposable income.

And they say they wanted it to be fair.......bullshit.
dust.

Trishntek
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Trishntek » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:13 am

Survival of the tribes,,,,, 'tis survival of the tribes
We'll be consuming ourselves in due time,,,
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

moonrise

Postby moonrise » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:14 am

robrob wrote:

???

+1 because some burners and birgins and entire camps are gifted their tickets (or the dough to buy them with) before Christmas (some don't even celebrate
X-Mass, lmfao).

I don't think anyone knew most (maybe all?) pre sale entrants would end up with a ticket.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

ZaphodBurner

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:20 am

robrob wrote:

???

The holiday presale was presumably for gift tickets. The presale started before the concept of Burning Man selling out was an issue. It wasn't so people's camps could hoard tickets, it was so people could totally surprise the fuck out people by gifting Burning Man tickets.

It's not cheating, per se, much in the same way farting in a car and blaming it on the dog doesn't make you a total asshole because it's just the dog.

Fortunately, if you had $420 to blow on a Burning Man ticket right before Christmas, you could buy your way in.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”