Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Savannah » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:15 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Where in the hell is the frekkin' "LIKE" button for this thread?!?!!!

ELLIOT!!! WOOT!!!!
Savannah likes this.

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Huzzah Elliot !! :O)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

erox

Post by erox » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:44 pm

I was a 12:09:19er and got an offer for two tix at 10:05 this morning!!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you on the playa!

International Incident
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm

erox wrote:I was a 12:09:19er and got an offer for two tix at 10:05 this morning!!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you on the playa!
Congrats erox!

Yah for the line moving.

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Congrats erox! Step is taking steps in the right direction
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO indeed!! Congrats erox!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Gotta wonder how many tickets are going back to STEP with this number of people on ePlaya getting theirs...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm

erox wrote:I was a 12:09:19er and got an offer for two tix at 10:05 this morning!!!! WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you on the playa!

WAIT WAIT.. TIME STAMPS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING.. YOU CAN'T BE A 12:09er AND HAVE GOTTEN YOUR TICKET BECAUSE TIME STAMPS DON'T MEAN ANYTHINGggggggggggooohhhhhh whoops..

..but they don't.. mean.. any..thing..

(putting reality hat on)

..except a mother effing ticket.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Eric wrote:
Arnoldo wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Lol.. I hear you. Like I said, while we don't know how many people are in each timestamp grouping, it's clear that about now the 12:09s are getting tickets. Before that, it was the 12:08s. Before that, the 12:07s. Before that, the 12:06s, the 12:05s, the 12:03s.. all in order.

While we can't say how many and we sure as hell can't start nit picking seconds and tenths of seconds.. I think I see a pattern emerging between time stamps and tickets being awarded.
Amen!! Can we just have a parade without some one raining on it?...
Like I said previously, when people start having questions about their timestamps, which are not an official indicator of anything, it needs to be pointed out that they're not an official indicator of anything. As for them being a vague guide- we've been in the 08's/09's since at least March 8th. 20 days. I want to reiterate what the BMorg itself says- do not count on STEP as your only source for tickets.

Sometimes parades get rained on (like the Chinese New Years Parade in SF almost every year), but it doesn't mean they aren't great parades. Think of me as a dust-storm, throwing reality into the party. If you're mentally prepared for the playa, you can survive a small dose of my "rain".
Touché my friend! I really dig these last few lines! :D Ready for any rain or dust that comes my way!!
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

mullenc525

Post by mullenc525 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 pm

See you on the playa!
Wooohooo, I'm 12:09:22. But of course, timestamps mean nothing so I won't be the next one to get a ticket right Eric? :P PS I think you're the guy that gave me a purple nurple at the bar, I was wearing a white speedo.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 pm

junglesmacks wrote:WAIT WAIT.. TIME STAMPS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING.. YOU CAN'T BE A 12:09er AND HAVE GOTTEN YOUR TICKET BECAUSE TIME STAMPS DON'T MEAN ANYTHINGggggggggggooohhhhhh whoops..

..but they don't.. mean.. any..thing..

(putting reality hat on)

..except a mother effing ticket.
Remember that the official word on the timestamp is more to act as a disclaimer. In other words, that timestamp "gauge" can be changed, without notice, to a state that does not reflect the actual line order. They don't want people touting their timestamp as a claim to a specific place in line.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:25 pm

I get the "official" position on it.. but it's publicly laughable that they're making such a stand about it.

We get it. The official word is that time stamps mean nothing. We get it.. no.. really.. we do. They made their point.. that time stamps don't mean anything.. the official word is that they don't mean anything.. god help us.. they don't mean anything..

..yet the harder they preach and try to spread the "official" word, the more desperate and sillier it sounds.

IN THE MEANTIME, 12:09s are up for tickets.. HOLLAAAAAAAAAA

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Let's all just be nice and thanks the dust gods that so many tickets have gone out so far!!! Wooooo! I didn't expect this many so fast really. My hopes are rising, but please I think we all understand that technically the timestamps mean jack shit, but un-offficially a lot of us know that the timestamps have so far been a terrific indicator of, at least, the latest time you potentially got your place in line, and it has been accurate to nearly the second in many cases. But its not neccesarily dead on or even close. Wooooot! Tickets ya!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:45 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I get the "official" position on it.. but it's publicly laughable that they're making such a stand about it.
I dunno... after what I've seen these past three months...

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm

BBadger wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I get the "official" position on it.. but it's publicly laughable that they're making such a stand about it.
I dunno... after what I've seen these past three months...

:lol:

point taken.

(For the record: Trilo and Eric.. I love both you guys as mods, people and personal friends. I'm just razzing you both. It has been a long day.)

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 pm

My time stamp says 23:15:19, how much longer do I have to wait?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

usurpedus

Post by usurpedus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 am

"I get the "official" position on it.. but it's publicly laughable that they're making such a stand about it.

We get it. The official word is that time stamps mean nothing. We get it.. no.. really.. we do. They made their point.. that time stamps don't mean anything.. the official word is that they don't mean anything.. god help us.. they don't mean anything..

..yet the harder they preach and try to spread the "official" word, the more desperate and sillier it sounds.

IN THE MEANTIME, 12:09s are up for tickets.. HOLLAAAAAAAAAA"

THIS, FTMFW

hellolinds

Post by hellolinds » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:59 am

This thread is giving me so much hope you guys!

Although we're way down the line, I figure it's where we're supposed to be. Tickets are popping up here and there in our networks, but thus far I haven't felt right accepting them - there are other people in our circle who just HAVE to be there. Made me feel good to see them go along. If I don't make it, I'll be a bit sad, but I kinda feel like everything is going to work out just fine.

I might accept tickets outside of STEP when time starts ticking down a bit more, but for now I maintain my spot in line.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 am

the real problem is that even if you knew yer exact space in line as an official decree as part of the STEP program youd never know when, or if, you would get a ticket.. as you surely know it depends on people putting tickets in to the program..

we've been around, through the participant tracking of timestamps, about 12:08-12:09 for 3 weeks..

chances of tickets making it into STEP will decrease significantly in about 8 weeks, as once someone has a ticket shipped to them it wont be able to be put into STEP... so youll be dealing only with will-call orders (people putting it there by choice and international buyers,..or other STEP buyers).. ..<joke>.at this rate we might be up to 12:11ers by then!!!</joke> (of course.. theres no way to tell as the distribution is unknown, as is the rate at which tickets get put into the program)

so yeah!! you can get yer hopes up by looking at these numbers.. it does appear as if they move chronologically ...but also .. time is running out on a lot of tickets being available to be put into STEP..and we dont know the distribution of people at various times....or how often tickets will go in to it..

as has been said... dont rely on STEP, no matter how close you feel you are to the front of the line, based on timestamps.

once june hits, some of those tickets that get shipped may be available on the secondary market, via your local regional groups.. in june..july, or august..

people are already organizing what are basically 'IOU' ticket exchanges.. where tickets never make it into STEP and they are sold before shipping happens.... on some regional groups, and various project networks....already.. right now!

so.. sign up for some regional networks.. start getting to know some people..... once tickets start shipping in june.. you might want to have a presence in that network once they start selling hard tickets!.. now might be a good time to get involved!

only about 8 weeks left until tickets start shipping.. at that point the secondary network will be another option, .. STEP will close Aug 7th.

sign up for a regional discussion list, and announce list.. maybe all the ones near you!

http://regionals.burningman.com/

CONGRATS TO PEOPLE WHO GOT A STEP TICKET, AND GOOD LUCK TO THOSE LOOKING FOR A TICKET!!

the aftermarket will grow once tickets start shipping in about 8 weeks.
Don't link to anything here!

drutter

Post by drutter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Eric wrote:Timestamps are not an Official indicator of anything. They are a participant created method of tracking, period.
I say that makes them as "official" as anything you've come up with, pal. Burning Man is of-by-and-about the participants, NOT the "officials". Period.

The timestamp method has helped many Burners and would-be Burners already. It's helping me figure out when I need to manage my credit card balance so I can make this year happen. You may notice you're the only one going on and on about how vague and unofficial they are. You probably should have dropped it about 4 posts ago. They work, we're using them, thanks very much for your opinion.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

VampireKitten
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Slowly giving up hope... I refuse to buy aftermarket considering these tickets already cost so much.

PS: No... no the timestamps mean nothing!

drutter

Post by drutter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 pm

VampireKitten wrote:Slowly giving up hope... I refuse to buy aftermarket considering these tickets already cost so much.

PS: No... no the timestamps mean nothing!
Nothing at all! LOL
I want some kind of "the timestamps mean nothing" camp this year. If somebody else doesn't do it, I am!

But don't give up hope Vamp. March 30th may bring in a bunch of tickets to STEP (I said "may"!) and then when the tickets are physically mailed out in June there should be another influx of available tickets out there. Decide to go, start your planning, and do everything you can to secure that ticket!
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Anyone who says the timestamps mean nothing is... well not thinking clearly. Yes, the timestamps mean something. They mean that you got your confirmation email into your inbox at a certain time according to your inbox. That is a fact. What that fact in particular means in relation to your place in line is speculative at best. That being said, between the times of 12:01 and 12:08 timestamps, they were accurate in predicting place in line based on posts by burners. Who knows if this trend will continue, especially considering the step list "closed" at 12:15, and many of us have confirmations after that. Im a 12:18, who knows where I sit! But I will continue to follow the time stamp posts untill evidence suggests they are insignificant in predicting place in line. Yesterday I was offered a theme camp ticket and a place in the camp by a very kind burner, but I can't take it because I promised my lady that our first time would be together and taking it would remove me from step.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 pm

drutter wrote: The timestamp method has helped many Burners and would-be Burners already. It's helping me figure out when I need to manage my credit card balance so I can make this year happen.
yeah!! if you read the "12:08ers" (on march 8th when it appears in this thread) were getting tickets ..youd only have been needing to manage your credit card balance for.. 3 weeks to anticipate getting a ticket if yer in the 12:08/12:09 range...

thats like, super helpful... it would totally have saved you from needing to keep your credit card balance managed for.. 6 fewer days.. considering that STEP opened on march 2nd.

CONGRATS TO ALL PEOPLE WHO GOT A STEP TICKET, YOU MADE IT!!! GOOD LUCK TO THOSE STILL LOOKING FOR A TICKET
Last edited by lemur on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't link to anything here!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:36 pm

drutter wrote:You may notice you're the only one going on and on about how vague and unofficial they are. You probably should have dropped it about 4 posts ago.
The only reason I haven't been saying so, is that I thought Eric had this covered.

People. The timestamps are not the method that the ticketeers are using to decide to whom the next email will go. There may be a rough relationship between the two, but don't get too hung up on that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm

Have yet to hear of anyone (on ePlaya, Facebook or personally) receive a ticket through STEP whose timestamp is out of whack with the slow progression to 12:09 we're currently seeing. I'll take that actual evidence over yet more proclamations from various sources any day. Yes of course, timestamps don't mean a thing when trying to predict how much longer we have to wait, but they are a very clear indicator, it seems, of about where we sit in the queue. Until I see actual evidence to the contrary (for instance, someone with a 12:14 timestamp getting a STEP ticket before someone with a 12:10 timestamp, or something similar), I'm sticking with timestamps.

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm

vargaso wrote:Have yet to hear of anyone (on ePlaya, Facebook or personally) receive a ticket through STEP whose timestamp is out of whack with the slow progression to 12:09 we're currently seeing. I'll take that actual evidence over yet more proclamations from various sources any day. Yes of course, timestamps don't mean a thing when trying to predict how much longer we have to wait, but they are a very clear indicator, it seems, of about where we sit in the queue. Until I see actual evidence to the contrary (for instance, someone with a 12:14 timestamp getting a STEP ticket before someone with a 12:10 timestamp, or something similar), I'm sticking with timestamps.

Shhhhhhh, its clearly important to some people that noone sees the correlation between the two. Let's all just pretend to make them :D hahaha

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Been coming in here daily to see and soak up the positivity of yet another burner getting their golden ticket(s). Watching STEP proceed and the radical self reliance of trying to figure out our 'place' in line was/is the first positive experience I've seen so far in this ticketing fiasco.

To hear the powers that be stating what it isn't, without providing us with what it is, is taking something positive away from this thread.

Unless something has changed, STEP was stated to be first come, first served - which can then be assumed first email, first served. And this has how it is playing out so far...

Obviously, emails can get delayed, re-routed etc etc thus changing the times. ALso, as noted in my own STEP response there are numerous time stamps in the header that show its progress through the ether...

Anyway, I am just loving watching the elation of you folks who are getting your tickets. Congrats to all of you - you give me faith that this 12:13:39'er will get tickets... in fact I beleive for the first time most, if not all the STEP children will get their tickets before the man burns.

Stay dusty, stay positive, and bet on your time stamp!

Z
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 pm

vargaso wrote:Have yet to hear of anyone (on ePlaya, Facebook or personally) receive a ticket through STEP whose timestamp is out of whack with the slow progression to 12:09 we're currently seeing. I'll take that actual evidence over yet more proclamations from various sources any day. Yes of course, timestamps don't mean a thing when trying to predict how much longer we have to wait, but they are a very clear indicator, it seems, of about where we sit in the queue. Until I see actual evidence to the contrary (for instance, someone with a 12:14 timestamp getting a STEP ticket before someone with a 12:10 timestamp, or something similar), I'm sticking with timestamps.
Good, you had the key word in there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:05 pm

The point of the official position on the timestamps, for those who have missed it, is that they're not an official indicator of your place in line. No "official" sources, such as mods, will even allude to any correlation/causation with respect to queue position, lest the same-people-who-miss-the-point jump all over it, with the same kind of shit-fest we've seen played out over and over since the new year, when or if an exception occurs.

So go right on ahead and use the timestamp as an indicator if it makes you feel better. That's all it does right? It doesn't matter anyway. The probability of receiving a STEP ticket falls into an exponential probability function: the amount of time more you'll wait is independent of how long you've waited. It's like waiting for a bus and checking your watch, as if the time you've waited means the bus will arrive sooner. It arrives when it arrives--if it arrives.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”