Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
catinthefunnyhat

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

I am driving my partner crazy with my certainty that we are going. I want to start buying stuff, building stuff... but we are 12:21'ers, and he, ever the practical-minded one, has forbidden me from spending any money or acquiring any space-taking-up stuff unless/until we get tickets. He's also unwilling to book the days off work... All of this, of course, means that if we get last-minute tickets (really, anything less than 1 month's notice), we'll have to forgo them. But I still feel in my gut that I'm getting to the playa this year.

Magical thinking? Maybe. We often joke about The Secret and how silly it is, and he teases me now that I've drunk the Playa Secret Kool-Aid. I don't care. Reason be damned, for once.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

RevDusty

Post by RevDusty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote:I am driving my partner crazy with my certainty that we are going. I want to start buying stuff, building stuff... but we are 12:21'ers, and he, ever the practical-minded one, has forbidden me from spending any money or acquiring any space-taking-up stuff unless/until we get tickets. He's also unwilling to book the days off work... All of this, of course, means that if we get last-minute tickets (really, anything less than 1 month's notice), we'll have to forgo them. But I still feel in my gut that I'm getting to the playa this year.

Magical thinking? Maybe. We often joke about The Secret and how silly it is, and he teases me now that I've drunk the Playa Secret Kool-Aid. I don't care. Reason be damned, for once.
I certainly understand the not acquiring stuff part...I couldn't/wouldn't commit to any art projects until I got my ticket...I just couldn't get up the enthusiasm for it.
But, not booking vacation time? I don't understand that. It costs nothing and you can always change it (can't you?). I book mine the first few days after I get back from the playa, everytime.

Plus, I have all the gear I need...although I did just score a 20' dome!
Rev. Dusty Sportswood

7chix&me

Post by 7chix&me » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:21 pm

I am way down the line in STEP, but I too have a peaceful confidence that somehow I will make it to the Playa and a sureity that if not this year, SOMEDAY. In the meantime, I am gathering supplies, building and preparing. Everything will keep until I make it home!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Don't forget- while STEP is pretty much the only game in town right now, once the physical tickets get released in late June more options will open up with people having last minute changes (due to work, health, family, money...) Make sure you're on your regional email list, get your networks humming if you haven't already... Don't think of STEP as your only option!

Obviously not everyone will make it, but there is a really good chance that if you're willing to keep at it you'll find a golden ticket (and hopefully not have to pay too much gold for it).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 pm

RevDusty wrote:
catinthefunnyhat wrote:I am driving my partner crazy with my certainty that we are going. I want to start buying stuff, building stuff... but we are 12:21'ers, and he, ever the practical-minded one, has forbidden me from spending any money or acquiring any space-taking-up stuff unless/until we get tickets. He's also unwilling to book the days off work... All of this, of course, means that if we get last-minute tickets (really, anything less than 1 month's notice), we'll have to forgo them. But I still feel in my gut that I'm getting to the playa this year.

I certainly understand the not acquiring stuff part...I couldn't/wouldn't commit to any art projects until I got my ticket...I just couldn't get up the enthusiasm for it.
But, not booking vacation time? I don't understand that. It costs nothing and you can always change it (can't you?). I book mine the first few days after I get back from the playa, everytime.
I don't understand that either. I'm sure there are circumstances I don't know, but unless there's some reason he truly can't book the time off right now, he should do it! :shock: Not being able to go once you have tickets--because you waited too long and can't get the time off? That would be insane. If it's just that he would feel "silly" if he books time off and then has to give it back ? . . . Well, it's not a good enough reason, in my un-humble opinion. Especially if this is a rideshare situation and your attendance depends on his.

Here's what you can do if you're not shopping yet: make a really amazing packing list. Divide it into "To Pack", "To Buy", and "To Do" (you can divide "To Do" by the month if you want, and then "To Do: August", and the week before, the night before, the day you leave). Mentioning what goes in what container is also helpful (rubbermaids, suitcases, tool kits, etc). Separate "To Buy" by store, so that you can descend on one store and get everything in one fell swoop if you have to. Find out now where the best prices tend to be, where the free shipping specials are, and the places with the best return policies. Some stores have 90 days . . .

Here's something else you can do while you're waiting. If you wear contact lenses and want to wear them on the playa, make your appointment now for June (or similar) so you have less competition and don't need rush shipping. Order those sooner rather than later. Don't have goggles? Start looking now. They're small and not that expensive. Do you own a stainless canteen? Everyone could use one or two of those anyway. It's socially responsible. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BirthChazz
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Valhalla

Post by BirthChazz » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:11 pm

There are jobs in this world that are not flexible about vacation- if you bid it off it is yours, so it must be taken then, which of course does not leave you any time off for something else.

I would bid it off, and then hatch a fabulous plan B for the same time.

I actually did not feel excited about going until I bought something for the trip. Buying the supplies drove it home for me- "I am going." It is a wonderful feeling.
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:14 pm

BirthChazz wrote:There are jobs in this world that are not flexible about vacation- if you bid it off it is yours, so it must be taken then, which of course does not leave you any time off for something else.

I would bid it off, and then hatch a fabulous plan B for the same time.

I actually did not feel excited about going until I bought something for the trip. Buying the supplies drove it home for me- "I am going." It is a wonderful feeling.
Good plan! It would also help take the sting out of things if one couldn't go.

If I couldn't go to the Burn, I'd go to its opposite--somewhere with lots of gorgeous water. It'd probably be cheaper. :lol: And easier.

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for the advices :)

I'm going to start nagging him to take them off. His work's not really that inflexible, and I agree with Birth Chazz that any inflexibility just equals an opportunity to take an alternate vacation.

And, Savannah, I love the list-making idea. It's a good way to prepare... stealthily!

Eric, I'm putting out some feelers, but I know there are a lot of people who are already a part of the fabric of my local burner community who are looking for tickets. And I think it's kind of only right for those people to get them, if they come from others in that community. But I realize that relying on STEP alone is not a strategy...
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

Straightveg

Post by Straightveg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm

My timestamp is 3:24, but I expect that information is fairly useless in my case because I had to leave the computer for about 10 minutes (yay, work) during which time the page with the confirm button loaded. I think I finally clicked the confirm button around 3:15. (times are eastern) I'm curious whether place in line is determined by time the page with the button loaded or time the final link is clicked and the congrats you've been registered page loads. Anybody know for sure? Currently I'm figuring I'm at the end of the line just to be safe.
Black Rock City or and Bust Dust!
torrey.smith wrote: As they say, make a man a fire and you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life. (Or was it a fish?)
-Sarge

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Straightveg wrote:My timestamp is 3:24, but I expect that information is fairly useless in my case because I had to leave the computer for about 10 minutes (yay, work) during which time the page with the confirm button loaded. I think I finally clicked the confirm button around 3:15. (times are eastern) I'm curious whether place in line is determined by time the page with the button loaded or time the final link is clicked and the congrats you've been registered page loads. Anybody know for sure? Currently I'm figuring I'm at the end of the line just to be safe.
You can read the past few pages for the discussion on timestamps.

The basic answer is that if you didn't click the confirm button until 12:15 Pacific (3:15 Eastern) you will probably be somewhere towards the back of the queue, as that's about where the cut off to get in was.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I don't do the 'Secret' thing, but I do believe in positive energy and that if I'm supposed to be somewhere, if I do the footwork, I'll get there. I was matched with a ticket after talking at an AA meeting right after the lottery about how I didn't get a ticket there. Got a call within 3 days from an old friend. So if nothing else, plan for a vacation! And if you are in STEP, you have a better chance than anyone that didn't get in that queue. There are tickets out there.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

clocksnmirrors

Post by clocksnmirrors » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:52 pm

7chix&me wrote:I am way down the line in STEP, but I too have a peaceful confidence that somehow I will make it to the Playa and a sureity that if not this year, SOMEDAY. In the meantime, I am gathering supplies, building and preparing. Everything will keep until I make it home!
i'm sending you my most positive energy!

you'll be there!

see ya on the playa!
oops i made a mistake! making mistakes is part of growing up....

Jenifersteppat

Post by Jenifersteppat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 pm

I am not religious or supersticious, but find the meaning of every fortune cookie I get or horoscope I read that I am getting tickets. I got one that said I will be going to a big party, and one that said "remember this date because 3 months from now you will get what you wish for!" This of course means I will get my tickets in July. Yesterday I did buy tickets to our regional burn SOAK - pacific NW style burning with forests and creeks :)
No matter where you go, there you are.

.50 Cal

Post by .50 Cal » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Hi everyone, so I got notified I have tickets! “We're happy to tell you that tickets have been resold into the Secure Ticket Exchange Program and are now available for you to buy.” But when I use the link I get “Your ticket link has expired, is in use or has already been used. Please contact customer support if you have any questions. Thank you.” Talk about anxiety. My email time stamp was 12:09:54. Hopefully I get to see all of you on the Playa this year!

.50 Cal

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:23 am

You've made sure that you don't have multiple tabs and/or windows open trying to access the link, correct? Try closing your browser completely and re-opening the link. If that doesn't work then email partiserv (at) burningman.com. They'll fix you up.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Patter Chen

Post by Patter Chen » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:06 am

Hi there,

just got awarded ONE STEP ticket for $420.
I was a 12:09:30 - 12:09:50 (can not recall exactly right now).

Good luck to all the other ones in line, you will make it!

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 am

congrats, Patter, and thanks for the update!

now, start gathering playa gear :)
What is this quintessence of dust?

SquirrelHead
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:44 am

I kept planning and buying things that I needed even though I didn't have a ticket. I felt like I would get a ticket and was meant to be there. Worst case I didn't get a ticket and I was really ready for next year. :D I am really glad that I did keep preparing because now I have my ticket thanks to STEP.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 am

Congratulations Patter...see ya in the dust!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

7chix&me

Post by 7chix&me » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:57 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:
7chix&me wrote:I am way down the line in STEP, but I too have a peaceful confidence that somehow I will make it to the Playa and a sureity that if not this year, SOMEDAY. In the meantime, I am gathering supplies, building and preparing. Everything will keep until I make it home!
i'm sending you my most positive energy!

you'll be there!

see ya on the playa!
Thanks so much for the positive vibes!!
SquirrelHead wrote: I kept planning and buying things that I needed even though I didn't have a ticket. I felt like I would get a ticket and was meant to be there. Worst case I didn't get a ticket and I was really ready for next year. :D I am really glad that I did keep preparing because now I have my ticket thanks to STEP.
That's the way I feel too, Squirrelhead! Hope I find my tickets soon!

.50 and Patter-- Congratulations!!

I can't wait to see you all in the dust!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:32 am

Cal--have you been checking your email every day? Because if you let it languish for three, that might be why your ticket is expired...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

inthecolumbiagorge

Post by inthecolumbiagorge » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:10 am

Wootwooooo to Patter and hopefully to .50! Sending much positive energy in hopes that you do indeed get those step tickets and am very glad to see some tickets are still filtering down:-)

MisguidedMonkey

Post by MisguidedMonkey » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 am

Fellow STEP-children,

This is to report that I received my ticket notification last night at 10:10 p.m. and have purchased one ticket at $339 ($320 ticket price + $7 fee + $12 Will Call fee). My original STEP time stamp was 12:09:20.

Thank you for all the positive energy and support you have all been putting out there. I hope that everyone who wants to go to Burning Man this year will be able to get there somehow! Together we are Burning Man!

Keep the faith.

.50 Cal

Post by .50 Cal » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:24 am

Okay! Finally got through! Turns out Firefox was asking for permission from me to let the ticket site open up another page. By the time I clicked ok, it seems for some reason I would get locked out. I just opened my email in IE and did it there. I would assume that removing that security option in Firefox would do the same thing. Just an FYI when YOUR tickets become available. Positive thoughts for everyone, see you on the Playa!

inthecolumbiagorge

Post by inthecolumbiagorge » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:25 am

Yahooo Misguided:-) Makes the tone of the thread so much nicer getting back to some tickets being available and so happy for you that you were next in line! See you in the dust!!!

b42575p
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Red Rubber Tattoo

Post by b42575p » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:42 am

ConGrats Misguided Monkey!

And thanks for the heads up .50 Cal. !

The line is moving! Yea :mrgreen:
Collectic Mechanic of all things odd, specialties of the uncertainties lost and discovered.

mullenc525

Post by mullenc525 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 am

12:09:22 just received 2 tickets for $865, what a relief!

Good luck to everybody still waiting, things seem to be really moving along.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:55 am

What a great day for STEP kids!

Congrats to; Misguided Monkey, b42575p and mullenc525!

YES
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Today is a good day!

Congratulations to MisguidedMonkey, .50 Cal and mullenc525! :mrgreen:

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Damn, a decent day so far for tix, congrats to the lucky 3 so far today!
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”