Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 am

FeetOfClay wrote: What do you think, all:
--Will the whole current STEP que eventually get tix?
--Might the STEP que ever re-open once first level is filled?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

jazure

Post by jazure » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 am

Woot - 2 tickets STEPped into my world this morning.

My 12:09:29 confirmation email was indeed for real :) The rest of the crew of the Monaco (https://www.facebook.com/groups/114999981871269/) and I look forward to servicing your playa Art Car transportation needs.... and maybe some spanking too :)

ApolloPan

Post by ApolloPan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am

Hope I'm right too, FeetofClay! There just might be a second STEP open, perhaps a month before the event, when scalpers discover they must sell at face-value to recover their cash (ideally). All we can do in the STEP is keep all our Burning projects going -I can't resisting gathering my gear & picking up useful gifts like blinking lights/hand sanitizer/sunscreen/aloe.
My pit crew of friends who've never hit the playa is growing, so next year I'll have a brace of burgins to bring along with me :P
I find bringing in new fellas to help with my projects gets them ready to participate once they hit Home. I'll have the event in my garage this year if I have to :wink:

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Congratulations, Jazure! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Martine_S

Post by Martine_S » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Two tickets bought via STEP today for $420 each. Timestamp 12:09:30. I lost the faith after the ballot but my friends stayed strong and now here we are - 4 ecstatic burners coming all the way from London, England. So my message to you all: patience is a virtue, and virtue is a grace, and grace is a girl with a dirty little face. See you on the Playa!!!!

snardy

Post by snardy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Was feeling depressed by all of this and suddenly got an offer this morning from my good friend to take both of her $240 tix. She and her husband decided to not go (the whole ticket fiasco left a BAD taste and they decided to not deal with the hassles).

I'm bummed that I won't be hanging with them on the Playa but I'm happy to be going. Life sometimes just lucks out for you.
:)

Good luck everyone. I'll be canceling my spot in the STEP queue (12:10:26).

mama g

Post by mama g » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:53 pm

congrats to you all! good to see some action in here.

boliver

Post by boliver » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Martine_S wrote:Two tickets bought via STEP today for $420 each. Timestamp 12:09:30. I lost the faith after the ballot but my friends stayed strong and now here we are - 4 ecstatic burners coming all the way from London, England. So my message to you all: patience is a virtue, and virtue is a grace, and grace is a girl with a dirty little face. See you on the Playa!!!!
Nice one Marine_S! We're coming from London too! Maybe see you on the Playa!

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Woohoo! Glad all of your buses have arrived to take you home! :D

Congrats!
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...

VampireKitten
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 pm

IcyHands wrote:@VampireKitten

Interesting and fascinating. Not only did I learn the definition of axolotl (a Mexican amphibian that retains larval morphology throughout its life cycle) but I also realized that my iPhone has a "define" function when a word has been selected. I also had a shave ice at Aoki's on the North Shore of Oahu today but that has little to do with Pokémon and even less to do with this thread...other than illustrating that life can still be good whilst awaiting tickets. :roll:
... Can't tell if sarcasm...

IcyHands

Post by IcyHands » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 pm

@VampireKitten

If memory serves, I was feeling more whimsical than sarcastic with that last post. :D

MIse

Post by MIse » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:48 am

There's 4 of us hoping to come from Ireland this year, just completed the STEP transaction for 2 of our group who's time stamp was 12.09.30 according to the inner email code - 2 tix @ $390 :D

Hoping & praying my STEP place at 12.14.30 isnt long coming around, need to book flights etc :?
The online rumour suggets there might have been a big server crash somewhere between 12.11 & 12.13'ish - fingers crossed there's not many inbetween those times if any at all!!

homo ardentum
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Carnivore

Post by homo ardentum » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:30 pm

That's great news, MIse! :lol:

The queue has been a little slow this week and tickets are dribbling out. It will be interesting to see the pace of STEP once the tickets are mailed out in June. Good luck!

Borris
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Post by Borris » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:36 pm

homo ardentum wrote:That's great news, MIse! :lol:

The queue has been a little slow this week and tickets are dribbling out. It will be interesting to see the pace of STEP once the tickets are mailed out in June. Good luck!
I don't think the queue is slow, I just think that there are a lot of people on the 12:09 slot.
and the pace will almost dry out once the physical tickets are mailed out since STEP can't work with real tickets, only with virtual ones.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...

moonbabyy
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Kreme Burners 9:30 & B

Post by moonbabyy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:41 pm

It will be interesting to see the pace of STEP once the tickets are mailed out in June.
Hmmm... how's that going to work, I wonder...
If I understand how STEP will work after that point, it seems to me that once paper tickets are in hand, those are likely to be resold (at face value, of course) to friends and local burners in need, and can't be sold back into STEP- is that right?
After that point, only people with will-call tickets could contact ticketing and say they no longer need/want them and put them into STEP for those of us in the queue still waiting and wanting?
Ugh... our slow trickle may dry out completely.
~a hopeful 12:17er

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Borris wrote:
homo ardentum wrote:That's great news, MIse! :lol:

I don't think the queue is slow, I just think that there are a lot of people on the 12:09 slot.
I think so too. That's just a guess, though. I imagine there was an average length of time it took to get into the system and 9 minutes was probably a popular one. There are probably some other time slots that are also more popular than others due to mechanical issues.
. . . and the pace will almost dry out once the physical tickets are mailed out since STEP can't work with real tickets, only with virtual ones.
It's hard to say just how dry it will be. Physical tickets can be sold via STEP until they are mailed in June, but those that have selected Will Call are able to use STEP until August 7.
moonbabyy wrote:
It will be interesting to see the pace of STEP once the tickets are mailed out in June.
Hmmm... how's that going to work, I wonder...
If I understand how STEP will work after that point, it seems to me that once paper tickets are in hand, those are likely to be resold (at face value, of course) to friends and local burners in need, and can't be sold back into STEP- is that right?
Yes. This is why you'll want to inform all your friends and family you're looking, and join your regional groups. Believe it or not, most Burners want to buy & sell with other Burners, and not to a scalper, or to a stranger (Where do you meet? Is the money real? Is the ticket real? Auuugh). If you have a physical ticket, it's a huge relief to sell to a friend, or the friend of a friend. And it's just more fun.
After that point, only people with will-call tickets could contact ticketing and say they no longer need/want them and put them into STEP for those of us in the queue still waiting and wanting?
Yes, after June, STEP will be used by Will Call ticketholders, and people who have already purchased STEP tickets. If a person purchases via STEP and then can't go, they can only sell them back into STEP for sale to someone anonymous. They can't transfer the ownership specifically, as one may do with standard Will Call tickets.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Yes, after June, STEP will be used by Will Call ticketholders
Yep all those foreigners :wink: who may have a change of plans will still have to sell back through STEP.

I do love meeting people from far and distant lands though...

CONGRATS to all that have received tickets through STEP and those that are still waiting, keep the faith it is still realtively early
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ed Phunk

Post by Ed Phunk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 pm

honestly for me its working out well. i may not have the money till late next month so the queue can take its good ol sweet time heh

Tronomatik

Post by Tronomatik » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:14 pm

I have been watching this forum since I got in STEP. I received confirmation Friday, 4/20, and purchased 2 tix @ $240 !!!

12:09

Thank you to whoever sold their tickets back to STEP and everyone for posting in here. See you on the other side!

fritz
Burning Since: 2009

Post by fritz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Great news tronomatik! By my calculations, this 12:17er should be getting a ticket confirmation in approximately 8 minutes. Right? :P

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:17 pm

CONGRATULATTIONS Tronomatik!!

Lovin the way those numbers lined up...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

jecca

Post by jecca » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:08 am

Does anyone have any ideas at what point the step list is likely to re open?

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 am

jecca wrote:Does anyone have any ideas at what point the step list is likely to re open?

Once every single request has been filled.. and it looks like we're about half way there.. but there's no way of truly knowing.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

martinmarquez

Post by martinmarquez » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 pm

How is the best way to know almost real-time when the STEP program opens?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Check every day, or every twelve hours.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

VampireKitten
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

I really hope more people put tickets in to STEP before the hard tix go out in June... at this point it just seems like a stupid idea to send out hard tix. I feel like it should all be Will Call just to prevent scalpers and just have BMORG do name transfers or at least send out hard tickets in August. This whole thing is so messed up... I want to start planning!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:20 pm

martinmarquez wrote:How is the best way to know almost real-time when the STEP program opens?
theCryptofishist wrote:Check every day, or every twelve hours.
That's what I would do.
Q: How long will the queue be for people who WANT to buy tickets?
A: We anticipate that quite a large number of people will want to sign up for STEP. If the queue gets untenably long, we will pause sign-ups until it is more manageable. While we realize this may be frustrating to people, we don’t want the queue to get so long that people signed up have no real chance of getting a ticket. We will post whether the queue is currently open on http://tickets.burningman.com.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 pm

VampireKitten wrote:I feel like it should all be Will Call just to prevent scalpers and just have BMORG do name transfers or at least send out hard tickets in August. This whole thing is so messed up... I want to start planning!
Gate would be an utter clusterfuck if every single car, van, truck, usw, had to stop and go stand in line at will call. Talk about the line becoming the parking lot? (And I'd have to deal with the fact that no one can park next to me otherwise I'm trapped.)
This ticket thing has hit us all hard. We are all having to parse our involvement, our plans, our availability, our coping tecniques. Do what planning you can. Is your car ready for a road trip? any investment there will pay off even if you don't go.
Having a plan b ready is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. That way, you won't feel you've wasted the (vacation) time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

drutter

Post by drutter » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Borris wrote:
homo ardentum wrote:I don't think the queue is slow, I just think that there are a lot of people on the 12:09 slot.
There may or may not be lots of people at the 12:09 slot, but the queue is almost definitely slow lately. Very few people are getting tickets right now. We used to have several per day reporting they got tickets in here, but lately it's been maybe twice weekly. I imagine there'll be another shakeup in May and some plans will change and some tickets will end up being put into STEP. But for now, very few people appear to be getting offered tickets.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:30 pm

@VampireKitten - plus several thousand to what Fishy said. Making all tickets will call would be the kind of gate disaster that would lead local law enforcement and the BLM to pull the plug during the event, and we definitely don't want that. Even with 100% of the STEP recipients getting tickets through will call, that's still only a few thousand people, and the ticket team is able to accommodate that modest increase.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”