Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Locked
User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40313
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Indeed. But if you got two tickets from STEP you must show up with the person who is getting the second ticket. With non-STEP tickets, you can go to will call, pick up one, and leave a name of a second person who will then pick up her or his later, with her or his i.d.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16843
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by trilobyte » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm

@lucky420 - STEP orders are non-transferable, regardless of whether they're for one or two tickets.

@theCryptofishist - that is incorrect. Once the ticket buyer (whose name is on the non-transferable order) picks up the tickets, he/she can leave the other one at the will call window (that's mentioned in the FAQ).

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8586
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm

I guess I didn't mean transferable for the single step ticket. This is what i meant, If you have a single STEP ticket in your name, can you go to the will call booth and put that single STEP ticket into someone elses name?

Sorry to be so dense-headed about this.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
Eric
Moderator
Posts: 9330
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Eric » Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 pm

lucky420 wrote:This is what i meant, If you have a single STEP ticket in your name, can you go to the will call booth and put that single STEP ticket into someone elses name?
I have a feeling that trying to do that might get you on the "scrub" list for next year. It would smell very strongly of scalping. Besides, you're only supposed to get a STEP ticket if you didn't get one any other way- if you try to transfer your one and only STEP ticket when you're at Will Call in the middle of nowhere, you probably have another ticket.

I see lots of problems.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8586
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Yep that's what I was thinking. Thanks for clearing that up.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
Rocket_06
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:36 pm
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spirit Dream
Location: O'town

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Rocket_06 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm

curvyburner wrote:My friend got two STEP tickets, so we're going! If I get mine, I'm going to make sure they get to our theme camp members who don't have tickets yet. His time was 12:10 pm, at $390 each, for those who are interested. :) See you on the Playa!
I don't know curvyburner's situation, but let me make up a story about her and you guys let me know if it's plausible. Curvyburner is part of a theme camp and they're short of tickets. Some of their campmates didn't even register for the main sale (happened to us) so they're really worried. Her friend scores 2 tix in STEP and says she can have one (sweet). CB decides to stay in STEP in hopes of doing the same for someone else. Time passes and then she scores 2 tix in STEP, as well. She's so happy because her and her generous friend get to go and two of their campmates get to go too.

When they arrive at the Burn CB goes to will call and picks up one of the tickets in her name and leaves the other for a campmate. Her friend does the same. Welcome home hugs for everyone. She can do that, right?

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:55 & Columbine

User avatar
Lollipop
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:52 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Light and Illusion
Location: Northern California

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Lollipop » Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Rocket_06 wrote:
curvyburner wrote:My friend got two STEP tickets, so we're going! If I get mine, I'm going to make sure they get to our theme camp members who don't have tickets yet. His time was 12:10 pm, at $390 each, for those who are interested. :) See you on the Playa!
I don't know curvyburner's situation, but let me make up a story about her and you guys let me know if it's plausible. Curvyburner is part of a theme camp and they're short of tickets. Some of their campmates didn't even register for the main sale (happened to us) so they're really worried. Her friend scores 2 tix in STEP and says she can have one (sweet). CB decides to stay in STEP in hopes of doing the same for someone else. Time passes and then she scores 2 tix in STEP, as well. She's so happy because her and her generous friend get to go and two of their campmates get to go too.

When they arrive at the Burn CB goes to will call and picks up one of the tickets in her name and leaves the other for a campmate. Her friend does the same. Welcome home hugs for everyone. She can do that, right?

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
Thank you Rocket. You must be psychic. That's exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. The only difference is that I looked into it and everyone in my theme camp tried to get tickets and only one or two did. We also didn't get placement and are hoping for that as well.
"You ARE The Good Witch Lollipop!"

http://istoppedtryingtopleaseyou.blogspot.com

User avatar
Lollipop
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:52 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Light and Illusion
Location: Northern California

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Lollipop » Wed May 02, 2012 6:46 pm

curvyburner wrote:
Rocket_06 wrote:
curvyburner wrote:My friend got two STEP tickets, so we're going! If I get mine, I'm going to make sure they get to our theme camp members who don't have tickets yet. His time was 12:10 pm, at $390 each, for those who are interested. :) See you on the Playa!
I don't know curvyburner's situation, but let me make up a story about her and you guys let me know if it's plausible. Curvyburner is part of a theme camp and they're short of tickets. Some of their campmates didn't even register for the main sale (happened to us) so they're really worried. Her friend scores 2 tix in STEP and says she can have one (sweet). CB decides to stay in STEP in hopes of doing the same for someone else. Time passes and then she scores 2 tix in STEP, as well. She's so happy because her and her generous friend get to go and two of their campmates get to go too.

When they arrive at the Burn CB goes to will call and picks up one of the tickets in her name and leaves the other for a campmate. Her friend does the same. Welcome home hugs for everyone. She can do that, right?

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
Thank you Rocket. You must be psychic. That's exactly what I was hoping to be able to do. The only difference is that I looked into it and everyone in my theme camp tried to get tickets and only one or two did. We also didn't get placement and are hoping for that as well.
And please indulge me as I add: I don't intend to charge my camp mates more than I pay. I'd love to gift them but I'm going to have to make payments on mine as it is.
"You ARE The Good Witch Lollipop!"

http://istoppedtryingtopleaseyou.blogspot.com

OldSoulYoungBody
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Reno, Nevada

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Rocket_06 wrote:
curvyburner wrote:My friend got two STEP tickets, so we're going! If I get mine, I'm going to make sure they get to our theme camp members who don't have tickets yet. His time was 12:10 pm, at $390 each, for those who are interested. :) See you on the Playa!
I don't know curvyburner's situation, but let me make up a story about her and you guys let me know if it's plausible. Curvyburner is part of a theme camp and they're short of tickets. Some of their campmates didn't even register for the main sale (happened to us) so they're really worried. Her friend scores 2 tix in STEP and says she can have one (sweet). CB decides to stay in STEP in hopes of doing the same for someone else. Time passes and then she scores 2 tix in STEP, as well. She's so happy because her and her generous friend get to go and two of their campmates get to go too.

When they arrive at the Burn CB goes to will call and picks up one of the tickets in her name and leaves the other for a campmate. Her friend does the same. Welcome home hugs for everyone. She can do that, right?

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
This is exactly my situation.
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

hellolinds
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by hellolinds » Wed May 02, 2012 8:12 pm

New Jackrabbit has arrived and we have officially given up on our hopes for STEP. It was nice to read that 1,000ish tickets have flowed into STEP, at about a rate of 100 tickets per week. I am doubtful that this will increase much between now and ticket send out...estimating about 6 weeks left, 600 more tickets out there. Probably means 300 (or so) pairs of tickets to come through the list.

Where we are at with the much maligned timestamps, our hopes have dwindled as we feel we are near the end. Alas, it has been a good run of hope with STEP and we continue to search elsewhere.

User avatar
lucky420
Posts: 8586
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:47 am
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by lucky420 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 pm

STEP will stay open until Aug 7th. Burners from overseas have to pick up at will call and if they find they can't go, there is hope that they will sell back through STEP as it would be the safest way for them to be reimbursed. So there is actually more than 6 weeks in which to obtain a STEP ticket...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

User avatar
EmilyD
Posts: 1168
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:03 pm
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by EmilyD » Wed May 02, 2012 11:22 pm

hellolinds wrote:New Jackrabbit has arrived and we have officially given up on our hopes for STEP. It was nice to read that 1,000ish tickets have flowed into STEP, at about a rate of 100 tickets per week. I am doubtful that this will increase much between now and ticket send out...estimating about 6 weeks left, 600 more tickets out there. Probably means 300 (or so) pairs of tickets to come through the list.

Where we are at with the much maligned timestamps, our hopes have dwindled as we feel we are near the end. Alas, it has been a good run of hope with STEP and we continue to search elsewhere.
Things might pick up after physical tickets start going out. I'm going to hang on to this possible solution until it's dead in the August dust.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

ApolloPan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by ApolloPan » Thu May 03, 2012 1:49 am

We've all had that sinking feeling in STEP, hellolinds. I remain obstinate in believing tickets will find their way to me, simply by numbers. If 40% of tickets were bought by virgins (50% of which were actually socks, like dear dead Aunt Zelda whose mailing address is a cemetery in Alabama...), then how many of those are people who are going simply because So & So is going? I do feel your pain, as my best Burner contacts also have no tickets this year, but a STEP half-empty looks better to me than a STEP half-full :wink:

I'd feel worse about that pun if I weren't sun-burned from working on my Burning Man projects...

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16843
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 am

General ticket selling will pick up once fulfillment happens, but STEP will likely slow to a crawl. Once tickets are mailed out, only thise with will call tickets will be able to sell them back into the exchange.

freewheel5
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by freewheel5 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:49 am

We had a 12:09 time stamp and got notified Monday. However, it went to my spam folder which I am not in the habit of checking.

Fast forward to Wednesday, when the JRS came out, which got me wondering and caused me to check my spam folder. And there, nestled among the penis enlargement ads and fake chat messages from SexyyyChick3000, was the announcement!

I screeched in shock, called my husband over, and together we clicked, holding our breath, hoping against hope that the link was still good. OMG OMG OMG it's letting us do it!

And voila, 2 tix at the $320 level made their way into our hot little hands. (Well, an e-receipt and a will call notice -- close enough.)

My husband has been twice but I've never before been able to go. So excited! See you there I hope!

User avatar
drutter
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by drutter » Thu May 03, 2012 11:02 am

Exciting! The 12:10s have begun. I'm 12:10:53 :)
trilobyte wrote:The STEP order is in the registrant's name. If person A registered for and got two tickets in STEP, two tickets would be waiting in person A's name at will call. Those tickets are non-transferable, person A *must* be the person to pick them up at will call.
Ummm.... UH OH!

When I registered, the whole situation was WAY different, and nobody knew what was going to happen. At the time, I entered for 2 tickets (my girlfriend and I, this will be our 5th consecutive year doing it this way). We used my grandmother's credit card, as always, because we don't have a credit card. A large percentage of Burners do it this way. Not everybody lives under debt :)

When we got into the STEP program I was told I could change the credit card when the STEP tickets were offered. I've since applied for and received a credit card to use, figuring I'll just only use it for Burning Man each year, and keep it paid off otherwise (time will tell how successful that plan is.... lol). So with my own card in hand, I figured when I got offered STEP tickets, I'd use it.

Now I'm hearing that the STEP order is in the original registrant's name, even if it's possible to change the credit card used to make the purchase? How does that work? My grandmother has to come to Nevada to let me into Burning Man this year, even if the tickets were purchased on my credit card, simply because her name was involved at an early point in the process, before the ticket system fell to pieces and all the rules were changed on us? Please help.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16843
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 11:06 am

Yeah, you're boned.

User avatar
drutter
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by drutter » Thu May 03, 2012 11:11 am

trilobyte wrote:Yeah, you're boned.
Really? Why? I'm sure a large percentage of Burners don't own credit cards. They're all boned?
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16843
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am

The rules regarding registration and credit cards didn't change throughout any of this, and the FAQ was pretty clear on payment methods. Yes, people who had extended family register on their behalf is out of luck. STEP tickets being tied to the original registrant's name and non-transferable was also clearly spelled out before registration opened.

User avatar
drutter
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 am
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by drutter » Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 am

trilobyte wrote:The rules regarding registration and credit cards didn't change throughout any of this, and the FAQ was pretty clear on payment methods. Yes, people who had extended family register on their behalf is out of luck.
Wow. I'm gutted.
I did everything the same as the last 4 years, and did nothing wrong, and now I'm just out of luck.
I don't know what to tell my sweetheart. We live for this yearly dose of reality. Ever since we didn't get tickets as per usual in the main sale, she's lost the smile on her face and the spring in her stride. I've been following this thread like a hawk so that I'm ready to claim our tickets and see the sparkle in her eyes again.
I feel like dying.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

ApolloPan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by ApolloPan » Thu May 03, 2012 11:44 am

drutter, that's an a painful situation. Been 14 years continuous myself; hence my stubborn refusal to give up on finding tickets. Re-read the FAQs; perhaps there's a way your grandma can transfer the tickets to you. Of course, it pays to always have a back-up plan: mine is to tirelessly work on my art projects, so that even if I don't end up in the dust this year, then my camp will be ready to load up for next year. Good luck.

usurpedus
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 am

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by usurpedus » Thu May 03, 2012 11:55 am

weird news

So I was a 12:10er.. 12:10:15 ish i believe..

I got a STEP invite just now(yeah buddy!)
.. clicked on the link.. shows two tix available(I only need one)

however the real problem is I clicked on the link again and I got this messaGE:

"Your ticket link has expired, is in use or has already been used.

Please contact customer support if you have any questions. Thank you."


has this happened to any of you?

jecca
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 am

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by jecca » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm

usurpedus wrote:weird news

So I was a 12:10er.. 12:10:15 ish i believe..

I got a STEP invite just now(yeah buddy!)
.. clicked on the link.. shows two tix available(I only need one)

however the real problem is I clicked on the link again and I got this messaGE:

"Your ticket link has expired, is in use or has already been used.

Please contact customer support if you have any questions. Thank you."


has this happened to any of you?
I wouldn't worry, just do as they say, contact customer support, if you only just received the link there is no way it could have expired....

Out of interest though, what does happen if someone receives two tickets through STEP, but only needs one? can the other be transferred back into STEP?

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by junglesmacks » Thu May 03, 2012 12:14 pm

usurpedus wrote:weird news

So I was a 12:10er.. 12:10:15 ish i believe..

I got a STEP invite just now(yeah buddy!)
.. clicked on the link.. shows two tix available(I only need one)

however the real problem is I clicked on the link again and I got this messaGE:

"Your ticket link has expired, is in use or has already been used.

Please contact customer support if you have any questions. Thank you."


has this happened to any of you?

I'm betting anything that you are trying to open multiple tabs/windows to the same page. Close your browser entirely, then re-click on the link in the email.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

User avatar
junglesmacks
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Burning Since: 2018
Location: Your mom's tent

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by junglesmacks » Thu May 03, 2012 12:18 pm

ApolloPan wrote:drutter, that's an a painful situation. Been 14 years continuous myself; hence my stubborn refusal to give up on finding tickets. Re-read the FAQs; perhaps there's a way your grandma can transfer the tickets to you. Of course, it pays to always have a back-up plan: mine is to tirelessly work on my art projects, so that even if I don't end up in the dust this year, then my camp will be ready to load up for next year. Good luck.

Nope.. STEP tickets are 110% non-transferable. If Grandma wins, then Grandma needs to show up to claim them. The only two ways out of this are to:

- Transport Grandma to the will call window, claim tickets, then give Grandma a ride back to the airport and get her home.

- Beg and plead with partiserv.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

usurpedus
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 am

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by usurpedus » Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

OK the link is working, and Im able to buy the tickets..

but I only need one.. and really thats all I can afford right now..

is there a workaround that anyone is aware of?

jecca
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 am

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by jecca » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 pm

usurpedus wrote:OK the link is working, and Im able to buy the tickets..

but I only need one.. and really thats all I can afford right now..

is there a workaround that anyone is aware of?
Surly you can send one back into STEP?

User avatar
fritz
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:14 am
Burning Since: 2009
Location: Seattle

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by fritz » Thu May 03, 2012 2:27 pm

jecca wrote:
usurpedus wrote:OK the link is working, and Im able to buy the tickets..

but I only need one.. and really thats all I can afford right now..

is there a workaround that anyone is aware of?
Surly you can send one back into STEP?
Good question. I was under the impression that you cannot send it back into STEP. "Non-transferrable" truly meaning non-transferrable. I thought the whole point of STEP was to get tickets into the hands of people truly dedicated to making it to burning man, people that would not back out or transfer their tickets to others later on. I also thought people were warned from day one not to order two tickets unless they really needed two tickets. I could be wrong, but I think usurpedus could be in a tough situation.

User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
Posts: 16843
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes, you can contribute a ticket from STEP back into the program.

User avatar
fritz
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:14 am
Burning Since: 2009
Location: Seattle

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by fritz » Thu May 03, 2012 2:37 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yes, you can contribute a ticket from STEP back into the program.
Nice!! :D Your answer is giving this 12:17er even more hope!

Locked

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”