Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 pm

@usurpedus, I've confirmed with ticketing that yes you've got to buy the two you said you wanted, but that you should be able to turn right around and sell one back into STEP.

usurpedus

Post by usurpedus » Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 pm

thanks trilo

spygeek

Post by spygeek » Thu May 03, 2012 3:22 pm

I just got my STEP email for 2 tickets at $320, which I immediately purchased. Timestamp was 12:10:20.

Lollipop
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Light and Illusion

Post by Lollipop » Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 pm

spygeek wrote:I just got my STEP email for 2 tickets at $320, which I immediately purchased. Timestamp was 12:10:20.
Congratulations!
"You ARE The Good Witch Lollipop!"

http://istoppedtryingtopleaseyou.blogspot.com

StrangerDanger

Post by StrangerDanger » Thu May 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi everyone, i've been lurking on the boards for a couple years now and thought id finally pop out of the woodwork and say hello. I had a small personal victory id like to share given the fact we are in the 1210s now. I thought i was a 1215 and today i went back to check and found out im actually a 1214. I know people still arent sure about the email times, but it seems to me that tickets have been going that way. Im still holding my breath, but it seems like things are working out in STEP. If I make it to the playa, i cant wait to meet some of you! If not... theres always next year .

VampireKitten
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Thu May 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Less and less STEP hope, it's depressing. This was all so wrong and just disgusts me.

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Thu May 03, 2012 4:53 pm

VampireKitten wrote:Less and less STEP hope, it's depressing. This was all so wrong and just disgusts me.
You kidding? Things are looking up, at least for those of us in the queue. Ticket movements are only going accelerate as time goes on, and physical tickets are a while off.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu May 03, 2012 5:17 pm

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised that the BMORG released the approximate number of tickets sold through STEP so far.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu May 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Tanzremix wrote:
VampireKitten wrote:Less and less STEP hope, it's depressing. This was all so wrong and just disgusts me.
You kidding? Things are looking up, at least for those of us in the queue. Ticket movements are only going accelerate as time goes on, and physical tickets are a while off.

Right? What planet are you on? Things are going quite swimmingly.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Thu May 03, 2012 6:09 pm

I didn't get in the queue. It was sort of a mistake. People's plans will change, and I figure if mine don't, I'll probably make it - downscaled but outfitted.

It's still easy to get bitter - I cycle - but the event is going to happen and many people will have a bitchen time and the universe will be a little better place for the time being. I know this.

Camp Envy 2012!!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu May 03, 2012 6:26 pm

vargaso wrote:I must say I'm pleasantly surprised that the BMORG released the approximate number of tickets sold through STEP so far.
I'm guessing that they want to remind people not to use STEP as their only method of seeking a ticket. We've gone through about half of the original queue, which on one hand is great, but on the other still leaves a lot of people wanting tickets, even beyond STEP.

Don't forget that transfers for *any* ticket to Will Call can now happen (which is why the "Tickets Wanted" board is open). Use all that amazing Burner resourcefulness and keep on it!

Have a friend with a ticket who's unsure- convince them that they don't want to go! That ticket holder doesn't know if they can get the time off work- tell them not to bother trying! They're complaining it's going to suck- agree with them, and take that ticket off their hands!**

**these are not officially approved methods of gaining your friends tickets, but if they work...
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

DukeLeto3

Post by DukeLeto3 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:STEP will stay open until Aug 7th. Burners from overseas have to pick up at will call and if they find they can't go, there is hope that they will sell back through STEP as it would be the safest way for them to be reimbursed. So there is actually more than 6 weeks in which to obtain a STEP ticket...
Do you really think that people past 12:16 will get a ticket? (I am asking this sincerely, not rhetorically?)

Here's my flawed logic: JRS put out that about 1000 tickets were sold around the time a "12:10" timestamp was reported on these boards. So divided, that makes 100 tickets "per minute".

If it continues at around 100 tickets per week like the JRS says, that means we hit the 12:16 mark when physical tickets are distributed. I really don't think that it will continue at 100 per week after physical tickets are put out.

Myself and 3 camp mates are at the 12:18 mark, and it feels like we aren't going to get tickets through STEP...but I'm not canceling anything until 7 August.
Polish comes from the cities; wisdom from the desert.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu May 03, 2012 8:34 pm

DukeLeto3 wrote:Here's my flawed logic: JRS put out that about 1000 tickets were sold around the time a "12:10" timestamp was reported on these boards. So divided, that makes 100 tickets "per minute".

If it continues at around 100 tickets per week like the JRS says, that means we hit the 12:16 mark when physical tickets are distributed. I really don't think that it will continue at 100 per week after physical tickets are put out.
Your logic hangs completely on 100 per week (average) coming into STEP, and there is absolutely no way to know how many will come in. It's like saying "I saw a '57 Studebaker Hawk go by yesterday, so one will go by today".

You're also dividing it into 100 per "minute" in that stupid timestamp- it's taken from early March to until now to get through the "09's"- almost the entire period STEP has been open. There is no way to know if there's another "minute" that also has a huge number of people in it, or if they're all spread out evenly. The past does not predict the future.

On your question of "do you really think", the only honest and sincere answer is "I have no idea". We can hope, we can guess, but not even Larry Harvey Himself can answer that question.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 pm

I really do think that people past 12:16 will get tickets. I think it might take a while still but yeah I do. It's been 2 months since STEP opened and roughly half of us (1000 out of the 2000 who got in the que) in STEP have gotten tix. There are a little over 3 months left for the rest of us.

There is no way to tell how many people are waiting in each time stamp. It seemed like there were a lot of 12:09er's but maybe there weren't a lot of STEPs being sold back through STEP at the time either. Really hard to tell...not everyone posts here and as the mods have said time stamps are in no way a very reliable way of telling how close we are to getting tix.

I don't know why, but I really do feel that most people in STEP right now will get tix and that includes those after 12:16.

Keep positive...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

VampireKitten
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 pm

That 12:16 timestamp whereabouts is exactly what I mean, I'm glad someone else is seeing what I meant.

Lucky, I wish I had your positivity ^_^

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Fri May 04, 2012 12:45 am

DukeLeto3 wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Here's my flawed logic: JRS put out that about 1000 tickets were sold around the time a "12:10" timestamp was reported on these boards. So divided, that makes 100 tickets "per minute".
Remember these are email time stamps, not transaction timestamps. You are assuming that the server started churning out emails right at 12:00 and continued with a constant throughput.

What if the server needed five minutes to start sending mails after transactions starting going into the system? What if emails queued up and at 12:10 it dumped 10 minutes worth of transactions into email.

My point being that, on top of the note others have made that the number of tickets going into step is not a constant rate either, that you don't have enough data to do any calculations around this and you pretty much reading tea leaves.

(Not that I can blame you, this whole ticket disaster is nerve wracking for everybody)

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:00 am

SnowBlind,
That is not my flawed logic that you are quoting...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

confused

Post by confused » Fri May 04, 2012 7:15 am

I think some people have overlooked an important point. 1000 tickets sold in no way means we're up to place 1000 in the queue. Rather, it means that we are somewhere between 500 and 1000 in the queue. Since there are 2000 people in STEP, I think the odds of reaching the end are very, very small. Consider this: If people on STEP have applied for an average of 1.5 tickets each, a total of 3000 tickets would need to be entered into the STEP programme to satisfy demand. For that to be the case, of the total numbers of tickets sold originally, more than 5% (1 in 20) tickets would need to be resold. That's not even taking into consideration any tickets sold by any other means.
My stamp is 12:16. I think my chances are slim.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:42 am

:oops: I had forgotten about the fact that people have put in for more than 1 STEP ticket :oops:

Good point confused!

I will remain optimistic for now
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

confused

Post by confused » Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 am

Check this out:

It's looking about perfect so far. Whoever made it acknowledged it's shortcomings but it seems to be pretty accurate. It seems there are afterall some people at 12 & 13 mins (as posted previously on here) but on eplaya alone, it seems there's more people between 14-22.

So my conclusion is that we're up to about 700 in the line and if you want to know about where you are in the line, the link above is the best indication.

One more thing, I think it's a mistake to draw any conclusions from the claim that an average of 100 tickets have been sold per week. It could have been 190, 170, 150, 130, 110, 90, 70, 50, 30, 10 per week for all we know so any hope of a continuation of 100 per week is misplaced.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri May 04, 2012 9:37 am

It's not as accurate as you think. We're a little more than a thousand tickets through so far, with more people getting helped each day. Number of orders is different than that, and unpublished. Flow of tickets is sporadic, because it depends solely on how often they come in from ticket sellers. It's a trickle, not a torrent. Expect the flow of tickets into STEP to slow considerably once ticket fulfillment happens in June, since from that point on only Will Call ticket holders will be able to sell their tickets into STEP. On the up-side, once people have physical tickets in hand, more sellers should start popping up in the after-market (though they can transfer their orders now).

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Fri May 04, 2012 1:13 pm

trilobyte wrote: Expect the flow of tickets into STEP to slow considerably once ticket fulfillment happens in June, since from that point on only Will Call ticket holders will be able to sell their tickets into STEP. On the up-side, once people have physical tickets in hand, more sellers should start popping up in the after-market (though they can transfer their orders now).
They're waiting on the permit to release physical tickets right? The Permit is in itself a whole new barrel of monkeys. What if its delayed a little while? More time for STEP. Also, just think; if somehow (perhaps improbable, but who knows) the cap gets bumped up a couple thousand people... all those tickets could end up in STEP. How else would they distribute them?

Also, as others have pointed out, tickets have not been going back into the system at a constant rate. Now we're a little under 4 months away so shit is going to start getting real for ticket holders: are you on or off the bus?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 2:19 pm

They are waiting until June to print the tickets in order to give the counterfeiters less time to work their mischief.
They're waiting on the permit to release physical tickets right? The Permit is in itself a whole new barrel of monkeys. What if its delayed a little while? More time for STEP. Also, just think; if somehow (perhaps improbable, but who knows) the cap gets bumped up a couple thousand people... all those tickets could end up in STEP.
Don't go telling yourself that there will be a magic wand waved and ticketing issues will disappear. In fact, with the recent news that the blm is not happy that the llc exceeded the ticket cap last year, I wouldn't expect a thing. If you do go telling yourself fairy tales, don't post them on this board or other computer boards or tell anyone in person, by letter or by email. That is how rumors are born and this is one we want to throttle in the cradle.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 pm

lucky420 wrote:SnowBlind,
That is not my flawed logic that you are quoting...
My appologies, it was DukeLeto3's post.

He/She was quoting you, and I messed up when I whittled the quote down to the part I was responding to.

Sorry about that.

Tanzremix

Post by Tanzremix » Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Don't go telling yourself that there will be a magic wand waved and ticketing issues will disappear. In fact, with the recent news that the blm is not happy that the llc exceeded the ticket cap last year, I wouldn't expect a thing. If you do go telling yourself fairy tales, don't post them on this board or other computer boards or tell anyone in person, by letter or by email. That is how rumors are born and this is one we want to throttle in the cradle.
Actually it was a series of questions, not a statement in any way, but you clearly misunderstood my intentions. The permit could easily be delayed, did you have a problem with me saying that? Do you have inside info on the permitting process? You must, or you're just rumermongering as well. Otherwise cool story bro, lets go back to gloom, doom, and bitching. That's how you'd rather it be?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri May 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Don't go telling yourself that there will be a magic wand waved and ticketing issues will disappear. In fact, with the recent news that the blm is not happy that the llc exceeded the ticket cap last year, I wouldn't expect a thing. If you do go telling yourself fairy tales, don't post them on this board or other computer boards or tell anyone in person, by letter or by email. That is how rumors are born and this is one we want to throttle in the cradle.
Nope. This isn't rumor-mongering. In fact I knew about it from 2 sources quite a few months ago. The EX CPA that has been 'retired' from his duties and a retail outlet in the same boat. Hey. It wasn't mentioned in hushed tones. It wasn't even a well kept secret. (I love Google).

I'm not tuned into any private info but bad news travels fast and when they got caught..........
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 7:11 pm

Well, when you get one thing drastically wrong, it tends to make your other statements look, um, fishy.
but not in a good way.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Rocket_06
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spirit Dream

Post by Rocket_06 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Ratty wrote:
Nope. This isn't rumor-mongering. In fact I knew about it from 2 sources quite a few months ago. The EX CPA that has been 'retired' from his duties and a retail outlet in the same boat. Hey. It wasn't mentioned in hushed tones. It wasn't even a well kept secret. (I love Google).

I'm not tuned into any private info but bad news travels fast and when they got caught..........
It is true that they are still negotiating the permit for the next five years (including 2012) which means this year's permit has not been officially granted yet. The original 2012 population was supposed to be 58,000 but since they're still in negotiations it is possible that it could be raised to a higher number with the approval of the BLM. I knew all this already from someone familiar with the ongoing process, but some of what I have been told is also been public information for a while:

http://thisisreno.com/2012/03/blm-seeks ... ar-permit/

It's pretty safe to assume that this year's cap will be at least 58,000 but it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could go above that number (keeping in mind that BMorg was just put on probation for going 3,000 peeps over 50k last year). It's more of a remote chance than a fantasy. I don't think anyone should make plans based on it, but we shouldn't rule it out either. I will let you guys know if I hear anything else.

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:55 & Columbine

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Let me put it another way.

There are people, I suppose some would chose not to call them burners, who can take anything out of context. I find that it is better not to speculate in their presence. They will only use it for banal.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 7:32 pm

And idiocy. They will use it for idiocy.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”