Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by Ratty » Fri May 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Ever sober up and try to make sense of your own posts. I know what I was trying to say, (don't ask me why). I don't think I said it.
I can't begin to straighten out my screwduled quote-comment. Sorry, never mind.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 pm

((Ratty))

*fetches a cup of cool water*

We've all been there. At least, I have.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 pm

I was someplace else, and you can't prove I was there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Someday, you will be there, and I will be there, and I will return to these boards with photographic evidence.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri May 04, 2012 10:09 pm

*note to self: that's one sneaky cat*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ApolloPan

Post by ApolloPan » Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 am

Can someone please site the article on the BLM website where the BLM is upset over last year? Heard about this through Sac Bee, which typically steals stories & doesn't clearly refer to sources. Seems like a good time to get the details correct.

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Sat May 05, 2012 12:32 pm

ApolloPan wrote:Can someone please site the article on the BLM website where the BLM is upset over last year? Heard about this through Sac Bee, which typically steals stories & doesn't clearly refer to sources. Seems like a good time to get the details correct.
There are two places where I had read the story: Reno Gazette-Journal and Sumoskinny

Or, you know, any of these 841,000 links ;)

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't read your post right, didn't see that you were looking a post on the BLM site.

EDIT 2: There might not be an official thing on the BLM site. At least it's not in the list of press releases for 2012.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat May 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Personally, I don't think I'd describe it as the BLM being upset. If they were upset with Burning Man, the easiest way for them to show it would be in the negotiations for the permit that will cover the event from this year through 2016. The probation is the result of the technical violation of last year's permit. As a government agency, the BLM is charged with enforcing the rules, and taking action when permits get violated. Burning Man is filing an appeal, not to dispute last year's numbers but to basically request forgiveness.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah, but even so we're going to have to do the equivalent of straighten up and fly right.

I don't know if that's the sort of thing that shows up on BLM websites. Although, we have every press release issued, going back years, on ours...
The Lady with a Lamprey

ApolloPan

Post by ApolloPan » Sat May 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Thank you Snowblind & cryptofish & trilobite - I had been on the BLM site & couldn't find reference to probation, which is why I asked. Sounds more like Trilobite says, official business & such, thankfully not a deal breaker. :)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat May 05, 2012 7:33 pm

It's probably also worth noting that we were put on probation back in October 2011. This isn't so much news, so much as something that a lackey at some media outlet discovered while trolling a BLM web site and decided to write up on a slow news day. And since most news outlets just copy each other or syndicate the same newswire feeds, over the course of the last few weeks it's being reported everywhere with no additional information or insights.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 7:34 pm

And that is why I believe in the power of a free press!
The Lady with a Lamprey

ApolloPan

Post by ApolloPan » Sat May 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Ah, that sounds probable. There's a great deal of information to be ignored & to be obscured by the press, after all.

FeetOfClay
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 am

On a different note, anyone with good-STEP-news to report? More 12:10-ers in the house?
What is this quintessence of dust?

drutter

Post by drutter » Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:On a different note, anyone with good-STEP-news to report? More 12:10-ers in the house?
Yeah just got notification of 2 tickets at 320. I'm a 12:10:53.
Unfortunately, when I signed up for the main sale long ago, I used my 90 year old grandmother's credit card as I've done for years. I've just been told that if I accept the tickets, I'll have to bring her with my girlfriend and I to the main gate (a 3 day drive from Canada) to pick them up at Will-Call. For some reason, you're "boned" if you don't have a credit card and used a friend's or family member's. It's always been fine before, and was still fine when I registered, but once things were locked in place and the rules changed on us, well, myself and a lot of people took a huge shaft up the back end. I have less than 48 hours to claim them (which appears like it'll be a waste of $700) or pass them on to one of you, my STEPsiblings. My girlfriend and I are extremely demoralized.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Maybe you could write to that ticket email address that Trillo has posted all over the board and explain the situation. Rules are usually made to prevent fraud. Not so much to deprive people that are simply victims of circumstance.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 am

drutter wrote:I have less than 48 hours to claim them (which appears like it'll be a waste of $700) or pass them on to one of you, my STEPsiblings. My girlfriend and I are extremely demoralized.
As far as I know if you buy from Step you can return them to Step, at least for now. (Don't take my word for it though, double check it). If that's the case, then you are not wasting $700. You can buy them, try to figure out a solution, and if there is none, give them back into Step.

And yeah, your situation sucks. I see why they did what they did, but it will end up affecting some people who are not scalpers. It especially sucks that this year, the rules changed midstream several times.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon May 07, 2012 6:59 am

drutter, pm sent
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Mon May 07, 2012 10:17 am

Drutter - I'd say buy the tickets, then contact the org and tell them that your grandmother has passed away and was going to take you to BM. Ask them if a Canadian death certificate, a copy of her will (in which she genrerously wills the tickets to you and your g/f) and a copy of her ID and credit card would suffice... then make up the canadian documents... think of it as a art project! :) Kind of morbid, but desparate times call for desparate measures... maybe your grandmother would get a kick out of helping you with it all! :)

Worse case scenario you can always sell them back into step at a later date!
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:33 am

I don't know about saying your granny died. Bad karma, juju
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 am

trilobyte wrote:It's probably also worth noting that we were put on probation back in October 2011. This isn't so much news, so much as something that a lackey at some media outlet discovered while trolling a BLM web site and decided to write up on a slow news day. And since most news outlets just copy each other or syndicate the same newswire feeds, over the course of the last few weeks it's being reported everywhere with no additional information or insights.
It's absolutely news. Boy, Trilo, your wording here is very spin-doctoresque. That "lackey at some media outlet" who was "trolling" the BLM site and reported the probation on "a slow news day" was doing the people concerned with Burning Man a favor by letting us know about it, something the BMORG certainly wasn't doing in this case.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Mon May 07, 2012 11:56 am

MedullaB wrote:Drutter - I'd say buy the tickets, then contact the org and tell them that your grandmother has passed away and was going to take you to BM. Ask them if a Canadian death certificate, a copy of her will (in which she genrerously wills the tickets to you and your g/f) and a copy of her ID and credit card would suffice... then make up the canadian documents... think of it as a art project! :) Kind of morbid, but desparate times call for desparate measures... maybe your grandmother would get a kick out of helping you with it all! :)

..because getting caught in a lie and getting your tickets yanked altogether for being a suspected scammer/scalper/hoarder is better than just telling the truth and hoping for some consideration, eh?

No.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon May 07, 2012 12:02 pm

MedullaB wrote:Drutter - I'd say buy the tickets, then contact the org and tell them that your grandmother has passed away and was going to take you to BM. Ask them if a Canadian death certificate, a copy of her will (in which she genrerously wills the tickets to you and your g/f) and a copy of her ID and credit card would suffice... then make up the canadian documents... think of it as a art project! :) Kind of morbid, but desparate times call for desparate measures... maybe your grandmother would get a kick out of helping you with it all! :)

Ed Rooney: Ed Rooney.
Cameron: Ed. This is George Peterson.
Ed Rooney: How are you today, sir?
Cameron: Well, we've had a bit of bad luck this morning, as you may have heard.
Ed Rooney: Yeah I heard, and man, I'm all broken up, boy--what a blow.
Cameron: Yeah. Yeah. Well, uh, it's been a tough morning, and we've got a lot of family business to take care of, so if you wouldn't mind excusing Sloane, I'd appreciate it.
Ed Rooney: Uh, yeah, sure, no I'd be happy to, yeah you, uh, you you just produce a corpse, and uh, I'll release Sloane. I wanna see this dead grandmother first hand.
Grace: Ed?
Ed Rooney: It's alright, Grace, it's Ferris Bueller, the little twerp. I'm gonna set a trap and let him fall right in it.
Grace: Ooh!
Cameron: I'm sorry, Ed, did you say you wanted to see a body?
Ed Rooney: Yeah, that's right, just, uh, roll her old bones on over here, and I'll dig up your daughter. You know, that's 'school policy'.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 pm

I read Drutter's first email to imply that he has already tried to sort this out the 'legit' way. Obviously that is the best course of action to start with.
M

MedullaB

Post by MedullaB » Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm

LOL Savannah! One of my fav movies!

More bad karma (really bad), but you could bring an urn with ashes for the temple for that scenario... ok, you know I'm joking right? :mrgreen:
M

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon May 07, 2012 12:37 pm

MedullaB wrote:LOL Savannah! One of my fav movies!

More bad karma (really bad), but you could bring an urn with ashes for the temple for that scenario... ok, you know I'm joking right? :mrgreen:
Yes. Because no one would ever buy the other scenario--even if it were true.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon May 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Drutter: Contact partiserv (at) burningman.com

That's the ticketing dept, they can give you an official answer, unlike the ones you're getting here. If their answer doesn't work for you no solution that comes up on eplaya will work either- very few people here speak "officially" for any of the Org departments.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Patiently

Post by Patiently » Mon May 07, 2012 12:52 pm

Hey drutter! (Or anyone)... Drutter, on Sun May 06, 9:55 pm, you wrote "Yeah just got notification of 2 tickets at 320. I'm a 12:10:53."

I'm a little concerned, because my timestamp is 12:10:22 and I haven't got tickets yet. Can you (or anyone) tell me what the subject line of your tickets email was? That might help me locate it. I've been very on top of my email the past week and have seen nothing that looks remotely like tickets -- unless it shows up with the subject line "Nigerian Prince needs help!" or something...

Thanks!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon May 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Patiently wrote:Hey drutter! (Or anyone)... Drutter, on Sun May 06, 9:55 pm, you wrote "Yeah just got notification of 2 tickets at 320. I'm a 12:10:53."

I'm a little concerned, because my timestamp is 12:10:22 and I haven't got tickets yet. Can you (or anyone) tell me what the subject line of your tickets email was? That might help me locate it. I've been very on top of my email the past week and have seen nothing that looks remotely like tickets -- unless it shows up with the subject line "Nigerian Prince needs help!" or something...

Thanks!
You can double check your spam filters, but, let me make this perfectly clear if you're worried about the seconds:

THE TIME-STAMPS ARE NOT OFFICIAL IN ANY CAPACITY!!
They are an extremely rough indicator of where you might be in the queue, that is it.

If you received your email way back when letting you know that you made it into STEP, you'll get an email to the same address when a ticket becomes available. Now all you can do is breathe & wait.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Patiently

Post by Patiently » Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Eric wrote:THE TIME-STAMPS ARE NOT OFFICIAL IN ANY CAPACITY!!
They are an extremely rough indicator of where you might be in the queue, that is it.
Thanks, Eric, this is a big help for peace-of-mind purposes.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”