Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by vargaso » Wed May 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Looks like we're burning through 12:14 pretty quickly based on the seconds (which I'm quite aware are not guaranteed to mean anything, but based on pure observation seem to mean something). Let's hope it continues this quickly. Gotta get to 12:18!

Dactylion

Post by Dactylion » Wed May 23, 2012 5:26 pm

Has anyone posted the times the servers crashed during the step sign-up process? Anybody? Beuhler?
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

\dak-ˈtil-ē-ˌän\NOUN: Of, or pertaining to the tip of the middle finger.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Yup. I suggest you poke around in the threads in this sub-forum. There was a place where we were noting what was going on in real time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

fritz
Burning Since: 2009

Post by fritz » Thu May 24, 2012 9:20 am

Dactylion, I don't want to repost it, but see page 4 of this thread for someone else's estimated STEP timestamp distribution.

westnileraven

Post by westnileraven » Thu May 24, 2012 10:33 am

Well shoot, I found my actual timestamps. 12:17:57 for gmail and 12:17:14 for sent server.

I assume the sent server stamp is ever so slightly more predictive. I believe the outage times are in the post with a link to reddit/r/burningman.

VampireKitten
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 am

Super depressed right now...

because we didn't get tickets yet, I didn't put in for vacation time and I might have to do two events for work the week of BM in Texas and Seattle. My boss wants me there, so it's looking less and less like I'll be able to go... then what about next year? Those two stupid events on the same weekend. I should have put in for vacation time and got it locked down, I'm just such an idiot... but then none of this would have happened if the POS lottery worked and the 10K tickets didn't get pulled. What a terrible year to try and cross something off the bucket list.

... sorry I'm just bitching, but it's really sad.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:57 am

:( VK. Will hold out good thoughts for you that things work out and that you'll make it to the burn this year.

I would be sad and bitchy (ing) too.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu May 24, 2012 12:01 pm

I dunno. I find it hard to feel sympathy for the "bucket list" people. It sounds like just another form of tourism, where you check things off on a list, because it is a list. I feel like it trivializes the burn.
YMMV.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Sorry to hear about your work situation, but get over it. The lottery did work… it was the overwhelming increase in demand that gummed up the works. Even if the open sale hadn't been canceled, there would have been 80k+ worth of demand for 10K tickets… your chances would have been slim there as well. But more importantly, you're in Los Angeles - a town with one of the most active and vibrant burner communities on the planet. There are at least a dozen great events a year down there that let you connect with the community, the art, and the magic of Burning Man. It may not be that thing in the desert, but as consolation prizes go it's pretty damned awesome. Count your blessings, there are a lot of ticketless folks whose local area has nothing going on at all.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm

yeah but bucket listers can turn into life long burners...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu May 24, 2012 12:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I dunno. I find it hard to feel sympathy for the "bucket list" people. It sounds like just another form of tourism, where you check things off on a list, because it is a list. I feel like it trivializes the burn.
YMMV.
I don't know. That's kind of how I decided to come this year. I don't exactly have a "bucket list" but there are tons of things I'd like to do before I die and frankly Burning Man was one of them. I thought about it for years and have found myself growing more fond of the creature comforts as I grow older. I figured I better get my ass out to the desert before I have to deal with hot flashes on top of the heat. But I guess the real question is which do you have on the list:

a) Go to Burning Man
b) Participate in Burning Man

I'm glad I started buying and prepping and following these boards early. Otherwise, the ease of a PnP type outfit would have totally appealed to me as I'm flying in. Whether it becomes an annual thing for me, I don't know. I love to experience new places. Some people like to vacation in one spot every year. I've always preferred to try someplace new.
Sic Semper Spectatores

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu May 24, 2012 12:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I dunno. I find it hard to feel sympathy for the "bucket list" people. It sounds like just another form of tourism, where you check things off on a list, because it is a list. I feel like it trivializes the burn.
YMMV.
At this point, pretty much every first-timer is a "bucket list" person. I was certainly one in 2007 the first time I went. I'd heard about Burning Man since the 2nd or 3rd year it went to the desert and had been wanting to go ever since. Finally went with no real intention of making it an annual thing. Of course, the minute I stepped onto the playa, I knew it was something special, and by the end of the week it was inevitable I'd be returning every year I could. Same ol' story. You can't really know what type of burner you're gonna be until you get out there. For instance, one of the guys I built an art car with in 2009 swore he was a lifer. That was the 3rd and last year he went, now he says he's over Burning Man. Which is fine, of course. So yeah, that bucket lister just might turn into somebody who contributes a lot to the event.

Now, GIMME MY TICKET ALREADY!!!

VampireKitten

Post by VampireKitten » Thu May 24, 2012 1:01 pm

YMMV.
Considering all I have done since I was 16 is work my ass off in real life... having a bucket list is a realistic thing for me because god knows when I'll ever be able to take the time to do something like this again. Between 40 hour a week job, job on weekend and what I hope to be a real business someday and not just a load of artistic crap... pardon me for having dreams other than working.

VampireKitten

Post by VampireKitten » Thu May 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Anyway, enough of my ranting... STEP is a disgustingly slow process and timestamps... and whatnot.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 pm

shoulda taken the time off anyways
Don't link to anything here!

freeeeeman
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dodgeball Addiction

Post by freeeeeman » Thu May 24, 2012 1:45 pm

VampireKitten wrote:
YMMV.
Considering all I have done since I was 16 is work my ass off in real life... having a bucket list is a realistic thing for me because god knows when I'll ever be able to take the time to do something like this again. Between 40 hour a week job, job on weekend and what I hope to be a real business someday and not just a load of artistic crap... pardon me for having dreams other than working.
i really wanted my first post to be about how i received my STEP confirmation, but i couldn't take it anymore.

the lack of empathy on this board is amazing. i hope virgins don't judge BM based on what transpires here. bucket list or not, virgin or not, i think it's sad when people can't go to BM. i'm not saying it's not fair or it is fair... i'm just saying it's sad and i empathize. i don't blame the bmorg like a lot of people despite doing some things that i wouldn't have done. in fact, i'm quite thankful for the chance to participate the last few years, it's been amazing... and the regional events i've been to are nothing compared to BM itself...

so VK, i'm so sorry you didn't get the vacation or a ticket... there's always next year... or perhaps this year? i feel as though come mid june, there will be a bunch of tickets available at cost outside of STEP. so get on your boss and get that vacation! and come visit us at camp dodgeball addiction when you get to BM.

.... hoping to see a little more love to each other, to bmorg and to the administrators.... and the timestamp gawds....

--freeman

PS. my timestamp is 12:21 ... though it's for my camp mates, so i'm not totally stressing.

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Big dusty hugs all around!!! :D 12:17 and semi-patiently waiting for my ticket home!
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

randomgirl7

Post by randomgirl7 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:24 pm

[quote="lucky420"]yeah but bucket listers can turn into life long burners...[/quote]

It was a bucket list for me after seeing a documentary about it when I was 16 in 2001. I consider myself a life long burner... when step hits the next second it'll be my 4th year :)

Vampirekitten, keep working hard. Like the mod said, you have some great communities near you... and also decoms/burner events. So many people have things pulling them back from doing what they dream of, or make a bucket list for. It's your first possible missed year, don't let years go on where work keeps holding you back from the experience :)

fergusbw

Post by fergusbw » Thu May 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Just wanted to let you guys now that I recieved my step ticket. My time stamp was around 12:14:43 (give or take)
This is my first year as a burner as I'm from the UK and my first proper visit to the U.S. so really looking forward to it. Hope you all get lady luck knocking at your door.
Safe one.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu May 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Congratulations, fergusbw! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:03 pm

YAY for fergusbw!!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

clocksnmirrors

Post by clocksnmirrors » Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm

CONGRATS fergusbw! seeya on the playa!

wandergirl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: dust & stars

Post by wandergirl » Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 am

I thought I'd share: somebody at 12:15:11 posted they got STEP tickets last night on facebook.
that is an awkwardly worded sentence. but hooray 12:15! (I got my STEP tickets a while back, but have a 12:18 friend I'm waiting for...)
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★

Minxylee

Post by Minxylee » Sat May 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Friends got 2 x 240 tickets today. Timestamp 12.15.

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Sat May 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Good to see progress!
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 pm

I suspect it will pick up closer to burn time when people realize they cannot go.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Minxylee

Post by Minxylee » Mon May 28, 2012 10:17 am

Agree.. and there will also be people like myself who have been lucky enough to purchase a ticket through a friend so no longer require tickets through STEP.

Dis)'(rack
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Post by Dis)'(rack » Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 am

Minxylee wrote:Agree.. and there will also be people like myself who have been lucky enough to purchase a ticket through a friend so no longer require tickets through STEP.
Agreed. Our camp started out with like 7 tickets awarded for 17+ needed and we we thought we were going to need a miracle to make it happen. Still we applied for our camp registration hoping on hope. Turns out we got everyone needing a ticket in through volunteers spots, direct ticket allocation, and a few spare tickets from folks that couldn't make it because of grad school (friends of our camp). Think we ended up even putting a couple of the direct ticket exchange spots back to the pool because we didn't need them.

Having said that, I know there are more tickets out there than people realize. I think the key is getting in touch with established veteran camps and campers that have a lot of exposure to the event. In our case we had long time Temple and ESD volunteers, artists in our camps with previous Black Rock Arts grants, and two camps registering (hoping on the direct ticket allocation) with a lot of burns under their belts.

So doing a little math, we had (2) STEP positions scrubbed/declined because campers already had volunteer tix (12:12 [already would have been awarded] & 12:16 ) and (4) other tickets that would have been used replaced by volunteer spots. That's a lot of tix left to the general Burn community that would have been consumed by our camp. Plus, I would bet that between the two camps that I am familiar with their ticket situation, there will be more shakeups before the Burn.

Keep trying everyone and stay hungry. As they say, the harder you work, the luckier you will be.
You pay your money...you take your chances

Janet Planet
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Sugar and Salt

12:15:37

Post by Janet Planet » Tue May 29, 2012 3:32 pm

WOWOWOOOOOOOOWOOOWOOOWOOOOOO!
12:15:37!
My email just came in!
Whooperdoodles!
2 tickets at $390.
YOU'RE NEXT!
Love,
la la la la la!
Janet

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Tue May 29, 2012 3:37 pm

WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:15's moving along nicely.. 12:16's next. VK, it's time to start working on that time off.. :wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”