Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
nemonemo
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by nemonemo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks Feetofclay! I hope I get a chance to get lost!

ruhamahgrace
Burning Since: 2012

Post by ruhamahgrace » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Jenifersteppat wrote:Sorry folks - I obvioulsy don't have the quote thing down yet..........

ruhamahgrace, congrats! We went through a similar thing in that we thought the step line was still in the early 12:16'ers, and we were mid 12:17, and although we had been repeatedly told by the mods that the timestaps were +/- 5 minutes, I don't think I really believed it. It was a TOTAL AND COMPLETE SHOCK when I was offered tickets. The only reason I was checking my email at work was because I was waiting to see if my dog got selected to go to the Portland regional (he was). I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES and almost flipped out at work when I saw the STEP email, as I was just not in that mode yet. My hands were shaking and I almost CRIED. Luckily, I was able to take my break early and call my husband from the privacy of my car...but I really think it was a blessing that it was a surprise, I wasn't in the "holy cow we are in the 17's and I have to check my email every 5 minutes and tickets are going out any day which will lower my chances - oh shit" phase yet...whew!
The best feeling ever amirite?
I let out the most absolutely ecstatic squeal of joy. It was a moment for the books!
So happy to hear that there are others who have shared such a fortunate experience, see you out there gettin' dusty!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Congratulations, Ruhamahgrace. :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

engineer2012

Post by engineer2012 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 am

FeetOfClay wrote:I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! :) :) :) :P

I got my STEP ticket! One ticket at $390. Timestamp 12:16:47!
No turning back, baby! I got the ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I have been following this thread for months. Your waiting is finally over. Concrats.
"If you wish to go to extremes, let it be in sweetness, patience, humility and charity." - St. Philip Neri

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:41 am

Any day now...
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 am

Arnoldo wrote:Any day now...

You're next..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:22 am

To all STEP-children still waiting...gonna pass on some advice that others gave me that was very helpful:

DON"T wait on your STEP ticket to make travel reservations and plan logistics; do it NOW!!!

I was initially gonna wait until my STEP ticket to arrange Amtrak tickets, vehicle rental, hotel room, person to share expenses with, etc etc etc.
Based on advice from other E-Playans, I instead began making those arrangements well over a month ago, even tho I had no event ticket.
It made me nervous, but I tried to find refundable deals when I could (Amtrak is refundable, vehicle rental does not charge me until pick-up, etc).

Now, I am SOOOO glad that I did. Since everything was "done" other than event ticket, I was able to really enjoy the excitement of simply getting my STEP ticket, and basking in that glow. Had I followed my original plan, the purchase of my STEP ticket would have been followed by days of stressful internet searching, making reservations, calculating logistics. Now instead, I am just sewing clothes, gathering simple camping provisions, and making gifts and planning how to volunteer. Also, i locked in good rates on train tix, truck rental...if I'd waited, the prices would probably be higher now!

Making reservations and planning travel logistics takes days (or more) of mental work, hunched over in front of the computer. better to do that now, while u are waiting on STEP (you know u are constantly at your computer now anyway :wink: )
What is this quintessence of dust?

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 am

Awesome and completely dead on advice!

Start planning to burn the year before! There are many services such as those mentioned that either don't require money down or are refundable.

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:19 am

Good advice, FeetofClay!

I just have to giggle, though I mean no offense. What you did was smart. I'm just remembering last year the intense mocking that occurred when people made all their plans (RV rentals, plane tickets, etc) and people said, "WTH are you doing that when you don't have a ticket yet?!?!" Especially to those that were stuck with very expensive plane tickets and rental RV down payments.

I'd say arrange/secure everything you can that is either refundable OR is not so expensive that it wouldn't kill you to lose your investment if you happen to NOT score a ticket.
FeetOfClay wrote:To all STEP-children still waiting...gonna pass on some advice that others gave me that was very helpful:

DON"T wait on your STEP ticket to make travel reservations and plan logistics; do it NOW!!!

I was initially gonna wait until my STEP ticket to arrange Amtrak tickets, vehicle rental, hotel room, person to share expenses with, etc etc etc.
Based on advice from other E-Playans, I instead began making those arrangements well over a month ago, even tho I had no event ticket.
It made me nervous, but I tried to find refundable deals when I could (Amtrak is refundable, vehicle rental does not charge me until pick-up, etc).

Now, I am SOOOO glad that I did. Since everything was "done" other than event ticket, I was able to really enjoy the excitement of simply getting my STEP ticket, and basking in that glow. Had I followed my original plan, the purchase of my STEP ticket would have been followed by days of stressful internet searching, making reservations, calculating logistics. Now instead, I am just sewing clothes, gathering simple camping provisions, and making gifts and planning how to volunteer. Also, i locked in good rates on train tix, truck rental...if I'd waited, the prices would probably be higher now!

Making reservations and planning travel logistics takes days (or more) of mental work, hunched over in front of the computer. better to do that now, while u are waiting on STEP (you know u are constantly at your computer now anyway :wink: )
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 am

And remember if you do make reservations without a ticket and you don't get one, there's plenty to do in Nevada, Utah, California, Oregon... It will be a different vacation, but not a bad one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

fritz

Post by fritz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:13 am

Minxy wrote:I'm just remembering last year the intense mocking that occurred when people made all their plans (RV rentals, plane tickets, etc) and people said, "WTH are you doing that when you don't have a ticket yet?!?!"
I remember that too. :lol: But, there was a difference. Tickets were available for regular purchase from BM until July. People had the opportunity to secure a ticket before everything else when there were repeated warnings that BM was going to sell out. Instead, some people planned everything except for the ticket and then watched it sell out from the sidelines. I am sure feetofclay would have bought a ticket first if it was possible.

remi

Post by remi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:15 am

Out of everyone on my STEPchild dreamteam that I've been cheering for, Arnoldo is the last one without a ticket (congrats feet of clay.)

I think it's time to draft some new members on my dream team (i'm looking your way nemonemo.)

EDIT: I didn't know where to post this.. so I just added it here:

69 SEXY DAYS UNTIL THE START OF BURNING MAN! (Man burns in 74 days!)
Last edited by remi on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 am

remi wrote:Out of everyone on my STEPchild dreamteam that I've been cheering for, Arnoldo is the last one without a ticket (congrats feet of clay.)

I think it's time to draft some new members on my dream team (i'm looking your way nemonemo.)
Similar thoughts were running around in my head. Thanks for putting words to them :)
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:23 am

A topical application of music to soothe the anguish of waiting...
[youtube][/youtube]
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 am

Total thread drift..

Every time I see K'Naan now it just makes me smile. It was about 3-4 years ago that a group of my cousins in NYC "discovered" his music.. and got totally into it. There was a summer of K'Naan.. I remember clearly. He was barely known then.. still playing in small, smoky clubs and having mix tapes passed around amongst the hipsters. That summer, our whole family went up to Maine for a vacation at the cousin's summer cabin on this little lobster fishing village island off the coast of Bar Harbor. There's a good amount of families that have been going back to this island for years and years, so all the "kids" are now in their 20s-30s and well on their way in the world. That trip, K'Naan was being played on repeat. All these island kids were loving it. One of the island "kids" was working for an NYC marketing firm that was doing the global branding for the upcoming World Cup in South Africa. Over and over, "Waving Flag" was played.. and they started talking about how fitting a theme it was for the World Cup. We had late vodka fueled night dance parties while waving around to that song.

Long story short, the "kid" went back to NYC and made it happen. "Waving Flag" became the official anthem for World Cup 2010. K'Naan was instantly launched into world stardom.. and it all started that summer on an island in Maine.

..now back to your regularly scheduled STEP ticket notifications..

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 am

Nice! Just six degrees of separation...
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 am

I'm not real wild about the music, but I loved that animation, cat...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 am

junglesmacks wrote:

You're next..
They're coming to get you, Barbara!

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:59 pm

junglesmacks wrote:

You're next..

I really hope so!!! I have a plan in motion. I just wanna know, so I can get my plain ticket!!! Come on almighty time stamp be good to me!!!
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

calirobert

Post by calirobert » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Arnoldo, know you will have your ticket soon, any time now ssooo close

moonbabyy
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Kreme Burners 9:30 & B

Post by moonbabyy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Out of everyone on my STEPchild dreamteam that I've been cheering for, Arnoldo is the last one without a ticket (congrats feet of clay.)
I'll try not to take that personally...

Nemo- I'm not sure you should post on here anymore until your email comes because I know yours will be the launch of the :17s - everytime I see your little picture come up I freak out!! GO NEMO!!

and great advice from FofC:
Yes- we've been planning to go since Labor Day last year- the tickets will come.... in fact, I spent most of this weekend decorating my playa bike.... she's pink and her name is Tellulah :P

Grokstar
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Three Chord Camp

Post by Grokstar » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Ok Remi.....draft me for your dream team. And good vibes from the rest of you would be appeciated too.
I just look at my computer now and it automatically goes to the eplaya STEP ticket page. My time stamp is so far down the line that I've taken up drinking to put myself to sleep. Looking for some numbered beads to make some timestamp necklaces & bracelets. Hope to match them up with some of you on the playa.

Thanks to all of you for the witty entertainment and time killing benefits of this thread.

remi

Post by remi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 pm

moonbabyy wrote:
LOL.. Moonbabyy, I would love you to join Arnoldo and nemonemo in my STEPchild dream team!

And Grokstar, your in. You'll be the proof that the timestamp means squat!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

moonbabyy
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Kreme Burners 9:30 & B

Post by moonbabyy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Yay! Remi- is there some sort of initition I should be aware of- although I suppose living through this STEP process has been hazing enough....
Looking for some numbered beads to make some timestamp necklaces & bracelets.
LOVE that idea, Grokstar- I'm adding it to my project list!

nemonemo

Post by nemonemo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Moonbaby, I know what you said. I know this hurts. I don't mean to do it... just, where are we to turn to? This is limbo. In fact, even the game of limbo is a pretty good analogy. Except in this game the bar keeps getting raised higher and higher until we're able to squeeze under! Let's just hope the game continues beyond 12:30.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Grokstar wrote:Ok Remi.....draft me for your dream team. And good vibes from the rest of you would be appeciated too.
I just look at my computer now and it automatically goes to the eplaya STEP ticket page. My time stamp is so far down the line that I've taken up drinking to put myself to sleep. Looking for some numbered beads to make some timestamp necklaces & bracelets. Hope to match them up with some of you on the playa.

Thanks to all of you for the witty entertainment and time killing benefits of this thread.
Grokstar, if you're crawling into a bottle nightly, you should visit one of "Da Bar" threads in the Open Discussion forum, so that at least you're not drinking "alone". :wink: There are a lot of social threads here.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

nemonemo

Post by nemonemo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:02 pm

remi wrote:
moonbabyy wrote:
LOL.. Moonbabyy, I would love you to join Arnoldo and nemonemo in my STEPchild dream team!

And Grokstar, your in. You'll be the proof that the timestamp means squat!
I didn't even know I made the cut! :P Thanks coach!

And Grokstar, I'm ready for you to defy the one true timestamp, even if it means having to wait a little longer.

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:07 pm

in fact, I spent most of this weekend decorating my playa bike.... she's pink and her name is Tellulah
"...I don't want to lose her; she must be worth losing if it is worth something..." :wink:

yay, moonbabyy--we will go on a playa bike ride together :)
What is this quintessence of dust?

7chix&me

Post by 7chix&me » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Everyone!
It's been a while since I posted on here, but I have been here with you all nearly every day, sharing your joys and frustrations, enjoying the entertainment and the banter and the good advice. I'm still waiting for tickets to come through and you have all been my inspiration to not lose hope!
Congratulations to all you lucky folks who have gotten your tickets, and thanks to all of you who have stuck around to cheer the rest of us on who are still waiting!
I have a few burner friends here in defaultia who are cheering me on and helping to look for tickeys, too, but this board has been my main source of inspiration and hope.
Still waiting with all my fingers and toes crossed (except the ones I need to make stuff for the playa) (and type).
Stacey @12:21

clocksnmirrors

Post by clocksnmirrors » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Arnoldo wrote: Come on almighty time stamp be good to me!!!
***SENDS POWERFUL POSITIVE VIBRATIONS IN YOUR DIRECTION***

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”