Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 pm

I would just like to take a moment and state that this thread is making me smile on a daily basis.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 pm

The STEP-sibling thread. :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

BirthChazz
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Valhalla

Postby BirthChazz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:06 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I would just like to take a moment and state that this thread is making me smile on a daily basis.

I too come to this thread almost everyday, to see the good news. Super excited for everyone!

Congrats to Fishy and Trinken.
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:52 pm

'Grats Crypto! Glad you stuck by your guns regardless, ticket or no ticket.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 am

Tazz wrote:I received the following message on March 2 showing that I made it into the 2000 people in STEP before it closed.

[snip]

I am puzzled by messages on this discussion board talking about an email that has a time stamp that shows the time down to seconds. I received no email on March 2, just the above confirmation with the 12:20 time stamp. Now I am wondering if somehow the BMORG has my email address incorrect. That would be a bummer!

Timestamps are not official "anythings" at all.

Regardless of what you see people posting about timestamps, they are at best just an extremely vague guide to the queue that people have been using so they feel a little less powerless about the wait and the lack of knowledge of where they are in that queue. There is absolutely no way to know how many people are ahead of you, other than the fact that less than the original 2000 people are in there at this point.

All that matters is that you received the email letting you know you're in. If a ticket comes up and you're the next name, you will be notified.

That said, do not ignore other methods of trying to procure a ticket. While there is always the hope that enough tickets will come through to clear out the queue and maybe even open it again, there is no way to know if that will happen.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten a ticket, fingers crossed that STEP keeps moving.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:46 am

While we don't know how many people are in each time stamp group, I wouldn't go so far as to call them an "extremely vague guide". They're pretty clearly moving methodically in chronological order.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 am

junglesmacks wrote:While we don't know how many people are in each time stamp group, I wouldn't go so far as to call them an "extremely vague guide".

I would, will, and do.

There is absolutely no way to know how many people are in each "time", there is no way to know that the timestamp someone has is anything other than an extremely vague guide to where someone is in the queue, and a very rough guide to the order they are being filled. Any of these "times" could have from zero to hundreds of people in them and could have gone through multiple servers to hit the persons inbox (affecting the timestamp they see, especially if not every server was calibrated exactly alike). There is no way to know, and if that's not "extremely vague", I don't know what is.

I don't begrudge people using them for whatever reasons they want, but when someone posts on this board worrying that because they don't have the seconds on their timestamp they may not have a correct email I have to point out what people don't want to hear. The timestamps are not in any way an official BMan guide to where you are in the queue, they are just when emails hit the servers. All you need is that email, everything else is just a way of getting a grip on the unknown.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:43 am

Lol.. I hear you. Like I said, while we don't know how many people are in each timestamp grouping, it's clear that about now the 12:09s are getting tickets. Before that, it was the 12:08s. Before that, the 12:07s. Before that, the 12:06s, the 12:05s, the 12:03s.. all in order.

While we can't say how many and we sure as hell can't start nit picking seconds and tenths of seconds.. I think I see a pattern emerging between time stamps and tickets being awarded.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

spaghetti weevil

Postby spaghetti weevil » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:27 am

Totally agree with Junglesmacks! It's like the difference between staring at a spinning beach ball or staring at a progress bar. You really don't know the details driving either of them, but at least with the progress bar you see things moving in the right direction!

Arnoldo

Postby Arnoldo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 am

junglesmacks wrote:Lol.. I hear you. Like I said, while we don't know how many people are in each timestamp grouping, it's clear that about now the 12:09s are getting tickets. Before that, it was the 12:08s. Before that, the 12:07s. Before that, the 12:06s, the 12:05s, the 12:03s.. all in order.

While we can't say how many and we sure as hell can't start nit picking seconds and tenths of seconds.. I think I see a pattern emerging between time stamps and tickets being awarded.

Amen!! Can we just have a parade without some one raining on it?...
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

usurpedus

Postby usurpedus » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:10 am

still a proud 10:10er

OldSoulYoungBody

Postby OldSoulYoungBody » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 am

spaghetti weevil wrote:Totally agree with Junglesmacks! It's like the difference between staring at a spinning beach ball or staring at a progress bar. You really don't know the details driving either of them, but at least with the progress bar you see things moving in the right direction!

Agreed. Based on this thread, the time stamps are a sgnificant indicator of place in line relative to other time stamps. Not 100% accurate but it is a great progress bar and gives hope.
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

drutter

Postby drutter » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:20 am

Eric wrote:
Tazz wrote:Regardless of what you see people posting about timestamps, they are at best just an extremely vague guide to the queue that people have been using so they feel a little less powerless..

Nah, the timestamps are very accurate and very consistent from everything I've seen. It's allowing people to see almost exactly when they're going to be offered a ticket(s), by following the progress in this thread. I'm not sure why you keep trying to tell people the timestamps are "vague" and don't necessarily have any meaning or use.

I'm a 1210er and following the timestamp progression has been very helpful to me both in terms of being less in the dark, and in managing the balance on my credit card so that it's "ready" at approximately the right time.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:47 am

Arnoldo wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Lol.. I hear you. Like I said, while we don't know how many people are in each timestamp grouping, it's clear that about now the 12:09s are getting tickets. Before that, it was the 12:08s. Before that, the 12:07s. Before that, the 12:06s, the 12:05s, the 12:03s.. all in order.

Amen!! Can we just have a parade without some one raining on it?...

Like I said previously, when people start having questions about their timestamps, which are not an official indicator of anything, it needs to be pointed out that they're not an official indicator of anything. As for them being a vague guide- we've been in the 08's/09's since at least March 8th. 20 days. I want to reiterate what the BMorg itself says- do not count on STEP as your only source for tickets.

Sometimes parades get rained on (like the Chinese New Years Parade in SF almost every year), but it doesn't mean they aren't great parades. Think of me as a dust-storm, throwing reality into the party. If you're mentally prepared for the playa, you can survive a small dose of my "rain".

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

b42575p
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Red Rubber Tattoo

Postby b42575p » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am

I don't think you can really say that the time stamp is not an indicator of anything. The accuracy can be questioned but it is a fact that if you got a confirmation at a specific time then your place in the queue cannot be later than that time...
Collectic Mechanic of all things odd, specialties of the uncertainties lost and discovered.

misterdj

Postby misterdj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Can someone help with this question?

My friend purchased his STEP ticket using my credit card since he's low on cash but in the confirmation, its says it will be at Will Call under my name. Wouldn't it be under the name registered for the lottery? I already purchased tickets myself through STEP and I want to make sure this won't cause an issue. Please help.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 pm

b42575p wrote:I don't think you can really say that the time stamp is not an indicator of anything. The accuracy can be questioned but it is a fact that if you got a confirmation at a specific time then your place in the queue cannot be later than that time...

Let me make this as clear as possible, in my Mod hat:

I did not say it's not an indicator of anything. I said it's not an Official indicator of anything. There is a difference. The BMorg does not use the timestamps on the emails you received as the queue order- those may give you a rough idea of when your order was placed. And, yes, most STEP tickets have been awarded roughly within those times (at least the minute part), but I have already seen outliers posted other places- a couple of 10's way back in the "08's", for example.

I'm not saying you can't use them as a rough guide, I'm saying they give you no indication at all how many people are ahead of you, and they are not in any way an OFFICIAL method to track the queue.

I am bringing this up because people are making a Huge Deal about the timestamps. They are a participant created method of tracking, period.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Ugh. Checking on this, I'll PM you once I get an answer back.

To those still in the queue - have your money ready on your own card, or be able to have that money available within the 72 hour window of receiving the STEP ticket notification email.

misterdj

Postby misterdj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 pm

trilobyte wrote:Ugh. Checking on this, I'll PM you once I get an answer back.

To those still in the queue - have your money ready on your own card, or be able to have that money available within the 72 hour window of receiving the STEP ticket notification email.

Thank You for help Trilo. I've also sent at email to BMorg. I'm really getting worried because I really don't want it to be an issue.

remi

Postby remi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 pm

So.. Eric.. let me get this straight.

Your saying that the time code directly shows our place in line, and it is offically what BMOrg is officially using to indicate the order of the que?

Just kidding! Timecode has nothing to do with the que, other then the fact that the order the names are being drawn are roughly following the timecodes. That being said, if someone were to come on and brag about getting a ticket with a 12:20 timecode, that isn't an issue, because the timecode means shit. I think I'm picking up what your putting down.

Congrats to all the winners (especially those that are always on the forum.. like MP, fish, trinken, ec..) and good luck to all those still waiting.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 pm

I'll reiterate what Eric said.

The timestamp on the email is something that was slapped on the individual email by whichever email server happened to be handling that message as it passed through. While people have been using those times to ballpark guesstimate their place in line, IT IS NOT an official indication of what place a person has in the STEP queue (which is managed on different hardware). Just casually looking at posts on ePlaya and Facebook, it appears there's a +/- 4-5 minutes in some cases.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

rain on this parade!!!

it could confuse people

it could give people false hope!!!

someone who is a "12:13er" could end up doing stupid stuff because of the FALSE HOPE this focusing on the timestamp creates.

as has been said STEP SHOULDNT BE YOUR ONLY OPTION!! HUNT THOSE TICKETS OUT.

i can imagine someone seeing some post on here about a "12:11er" posting about getting a ticket, giving the "12:13er" FALSE HOPE that they are close to getting a ticket.......... a ticket that may never come..

while the "12:13er" feels they are close to getting a ticket with the FALSE HOPE the reading of tea leaves gives them... they might not seek out other ways to get a ticket.....

SEEK OUT OTHER WAYS RIGHT NOW.. sign up on yer regional network email lists ...start looking for people out there with em..

http://regionals.burningman.com/ the world
http://regionals.burningman.com/na_index.html north america
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_index.html europe

each regional is likely to have an ANNOUNCE LIST and a DISCUSSION LIST .. sign up for em, sign up for ones near you... get inolved,.. some regional lists already have ad-hoc ticket exchange things going on between participants..

dont put false hope on the reading of tealeaves that is this timestamp infatuation!! it is not an official way to figure out anything, and while it may SEEM like its progressing along in a logical way.. theres no way to know how many people are in which spot, or when tickets going in to STEP will dry up and the person who is a "12:13er" will be the one who will never get a ticket, even if they saw some "12:12er" get one..

for reals!! this could give people false hope.. that false hope might make them not seek out tickets in other ways.. and that would really be lame..

youre in STEP,.. you have 72 hours to respond if you get notified of a ticket.. keep some money around !! (you cant be sure of when or if youll be selected).. get the money to where you need it within 72 hours ...

dont put all yer hopes on step
dont fall for the false hopes of the timestamp tealeaves

good luck in getting a ticket

and as Eric keeps saying after pointing out the facts

"CONGRATS"
Don't link to anything here!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Even as little as I know about computers, I have noticed that e-mails sometimes take longer than the normal "split second" to come thru. A couple of minutes is not unusual. And much longer has happened on rare occasions. So what Eric and Trilo tell us makes sense to me. An indicator, but far from accurate.

The example mentioned of a 12:10 getting tickets in the middle of the 12:08s seems to me a likely example of an e-mail that took two minutes to get thru some traffic jam on the information super-highway.

(For the (happy!) record, I now have a ticket thru an other person's recent purchase of two STEP tickets. :D )
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:29 pm

well...
CONGRATULATIONS ELLIOT
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

OldSoulYoungBody

Postby OldSoulYoungBody » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:33 pm

Why does this feel like having an argument about arguing haha. So pointless. Let's just all hope the tickets flow!

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:39 pm

OldSoulYoungBody wrote:Why does this feel like having an argument about arguing haha. So pointless. Let's just all hope the tickets flow!

its more like arguing with a scientist in the field in question that astrology/phrenology/homeopathy/paranormal/ufology... etc ..... are all real things and cannot be doubted..

of course.. at some point.. youll just have to let people believe what they want to believe!

again, general disclaimer

CONGRATS TO ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN SELECTED
Don't link to anything here!

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm

lemur wrote:
OldSoulYoungBody wrote:Why does this feel like having an argument about arguing haha. So pointless. Let's just all hope the tickets flow!

its more like arguing with a scientist in the field in question that astrology/phrenology/homeopathy/paranormal/ufology...

Seeing "phrenology" used in a retort just made my day.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

OldSoulYoungBody

Postby OldSoulYoungBody » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 pm

lemur wrote:

its more like arguing with a scientist in the field in question that astrology/phrenology/homeopathy/paranormal/ufology... etc ..... are all real things and cannot be doubted..

of course.. at some point.. youll just have to let people believe what they want to believe!

again, general disclaimer

CONGRATS TO ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN SELECTED

No one is right or an expert haha. The only truth is in some server(s) hahahahaha. Congrats all so far and let's hope for more! Im hopeful the 30th could help a little

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Congratulations to Elliot! :D
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Where in the hell is the frekkin' "LIKE" button for this thread?!?!!!

ELLIOT!!! WOOT!!!!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”