Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
freeeeeman
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dodgeball Addiction

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by freeeeeman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Savannah wrote:If you're going to brainstorm in public, make sure it's legal first. We have to remove any scheming that isn't. Danke. :)
you moderator-kids are so on the ball. all of you! hats off to you! :)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 pm

freeeeeman wrote:
Savannah wrote:If you're going to brainstorm in public, make sure it's legal first. We have to remove any scheming that isn't. Danke. :)
you moderator-kids are so on the ball. all of you! hats off to you! :)
Thanks for understanding. It's not like we don't get where folks are coming from (we all wanna see scalpers fall on their faces). It's just a matter of protecting the board from undue scrutiny as well, and keeping it operational.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

westnileraven

Post by westnileraven » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 pm

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tix/3116403673.html
text of cl ad:

"I just sold my Burning Man Ticket for Face Value. Instead of responding individually to all the people that inquired I decided to post here.

I received 23 inquiries within 24 hrs , from those I chose one at random to be fair.

Thanks for your kind words about me selling ticket for face Value. I don't understand how a True Burner can try to make a quick buck from selling his/her ticket. There are a lot of tickets currently held by scalpers. If you need a ticket, do not fall for their game and do not pay more than face Value. If you ALL "stick to your guns" and offer to pay only Face Value, more tickets will be available as the event approaches and scalpers need to "unload" their "inventory".

Good luck,"

aww. so sweet.

MoBo
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Somewhere

Post by MoBo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:16 pm

I sent an iTunes gift card code to a face value poster on CL.

Didn't need the ticket, but I didn't need the gift card either.

Just trying to reward good behavior.
This signature left intentionally blank.

moonwatcher
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: The Dusty Beavers

Post by moonwatcher » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm

moonbabyy wrote:freeeman wrote:
only 60 days left and people are still trying to get tickets...
For me, this isn't what's stressing me out- I'm sure there will be people looking for tickets all the way up to the day before...
For me it's that it's been 22 days since the blog told us to "stay tuned to JRS" for an announcement about any tickets..... since then we've been watching and waiting with baited breath and still no announcements....
If there aren't going to be any more tickets released because we want to be careful of the headcount and max capacity, that's totally fine- just tell us that instead of keeping us waiting....

I agree...
Those of us on STEP have really been waiting since *January* for news about tickets.
Whether you are a virgin or an experienced burner, making it to the playa requires some planning and preparation. And many of us are rapidly coming up to a point where we will no longer be able to wait and still make it "well-prepared" to the playa.
I am working to build a structure with other burners (ticketed, good for them) but my involvement is up on the air until I find out whether I have my tickets. I've already had one potential companion drop out because things were not congealing fast enough.
So, BMORG please make up your mind and let us know asap.
Sorry for b*tching, but the wait is getting to me. :(

By the way, moonwatcher is unrelated to moonbabyy....perhaps, with a bit a luck, we can meet somewhere on the playa under the full moon... :D
Buy the ticket, take the ride!

moonbabyy
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Kreme Burners 9:30 & B

Post by moonbabyy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:32 pm

moonwatcher wrote:
perhaps, with a bit a luck, we can meet somewhere on the playa under the full moon...
And this year the full moon on August 31st is actually a Blue Moon- I am MEANT to be on the playa . . . .

12:17:11 and still hopeful

westnileraven

Post by westnileraven » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:05 pm

A blue moon? Oh man. It'll be bright as day. :)

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't want to wait in vein...
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

clocksnmirrors

Post by clocksnmirrors » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Arnoldo wrote:I don't want to wait in vein...
check your messages :D :shock:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:54 pm

offarock wrote:Glastonbury tickets have the attendee's photo and name printed directly on the ticket and I would love to see that scheme adopted by Burning Man to ensure buyers actually intend to use the tickets themselves, rather than profit from our community.
Ah yes. This has been floated again, and again. Maybe they will try next year. There are significant logistics involved, however. It's been discussed in depth in other threads in this sub-forum. Read a few and see what you think then...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Concert ticket prices collapse at a certain point too.

Flagging and everything else about cl is more complicated than it appears.
It is a much more commercial site than it appears.

Unfortunately their system allows scammers to flag competition and those that expose them too.
Many use software allowing them to do multiple flags.

Often spammers have removed honest ads.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

westnileraven wrote:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tix/3116403673.html
text of cl ad:

"I just sold my Burning Man Ticket for Face Value. Instead of responding individually to all the people that inquired I decided to post here.

I received 23 inquiries within 24 hrs , from those I chose one at random to be fair.

Thanks for your kind words about me selling ticket for face Value. I don't understand how a True Burner can try to make a quick buck from selling his/her ticket. There are a lot of tickets currently held by scalpers. If you need a ticket, do not fall for their game and do not pay more than face Value. If you ALL "stick to your guns" and offer to pay only Face Value, more tickets will be available as the event approaches and scalpers need to "unload" their "inventory".

Good luck,"

aww. so sweet.
Note that someone has already flagged this.

I hope anyone selling a ticket on cl is careful.
Just as someone can dominate a niche on ebay, scalpers have been seen purchasing face value tickets on cl, only to resell.

remi

Post by remi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:56 am

freeeeeman wrote:... this is a little sadistic, but one option is to offer to buy the tickets at their asking price and then dont show up...
another option is to make a bunch of fake ebay acounts, and bid big on every single ticket that goes over X amount of dollars (preferable face value, but lets just say 420$) , and repeat every day until a week before the event. The sellers would have to resort to another option, where buyers are less likely to purchase tickets and they'll have to drop the price before the event.

Hell, just for the hastle, some of these sellers might just opt to go back to STEP, if that's possible once you've received your hard copy.

This wont stop anything, but it sure will piss off a tonne of scalpers.... and I don't believe it's illegal, right Savannah?
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 pm

remi wrote:
freeeeeman wrote:... this is a little sadistic, but one option is to offer to buy the tickets at their asking price and then dont show up...
another option is to make a bunch of fake ebay acounts, and bid big on every single ticket that goes over X amount of dollars (preferable face value, but lets just say 420$) , and repeat every day until a week before the event. The sellers would have to resort to another option, where buyers are less likely to purchase tickets and they'll have to drop the price before the event.

Hell, just for the hastle, some of these sellers might just opt to go back to STEP, if that's possible once you've received your hard copy.

This wont stop anything, but it sure will piss off a tonne of scalpers.... and I don't believe it's illegal, right Savannah?
Why don't you go read eBay's terms of use, and report back as to whether what you're proposing constitutes fraud?

ETA: Never mind, I clearly have 5 minutes to waste on useless jiggery-pokery. eBay encourages unpaid sellers to 1) report the buyer
2) contact law enforcement and 3) to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Google it. Note why you do not want to be reported to it, even if you're small potatoes compared to what they probably really want.

Act within the law, please. If you want to skate close to the edge, please don't embroil ePlaya in it. This site is for fun and information. Thanks!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:07 pm

if you've already received your hard copy tix then, no you can't put them back through STEP
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

clocksnmirrors

Post by clocksnmirrors » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Savannah wrote:This site is for fun and information.
Amen sistah!!

I'm really glad i found eplaya. If it wasn't for the tons of helpful information shared by veteran burners, i'd probably be freekin out right about now. But i actually almost feel ready for to hit the road.

I hope i get to meet you all at the meet and greet so i can say THANKS!!!

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Savannah wrote:
remi wrote:

Why don't you go read eBay's terms of use, and report back as to whether what you're proposing constitutes fraud?

ETA: Never mind, I clearly have 5 minutes to waste on useless jiggery-pokery. eBay encourages unpaid sellers to 1) report the buyer
2) contact law enforcement and 3) to file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Google it. Note why you do not want to be reported to it, even if you're small potatoes compared to what they probably really want.

Act within the law, please. If you want to skate close to the edge, please don't embroil ePlaya in it. This site is for fun and information. Thanks!
Probably not fraud.
Maybe not criminal.
Look up intent.

Definitely something they won't be happy about.
Probably actionable.
They could boot you off ebay.

And they can just sell to another bidder or have another auction.
I feel that high bids support the illusion of high valid prices.
Counter productive.

You would probably do better to educate bidders, even with anonymous bidding, about ticket fraud and scalping issues with burning man.
And about alternate ways to obtain tickets.
Maybe post a small auction with education about tickets that will pull up with tickets?
That has been done.

Eplaya or other burner contact points are the ONLY option for most people at this point, outside buying from scalpers.
There is NO cl ticket market in most places.

scott_k

Post by scott_k » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:53 pm

:: gospel of 12:20:46 :: I still believe the BRC is carefully planning the proper execution of releasing additional tickets in a secure manner, many of which will be used to close out the STEP waiting list. I trust that the BRC understands and is taking calculated measures to ensure that Burning Man 2012 is a success for the majority of people who are trying to get a ticket. Support BRC!! ::

who is with me on this??

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Given how few tickets are still in reserve, I doubt they will make a significant difference for the majority of people seeking the tickets, intentions or not.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

scott_k

Post by scott_k » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33 pm

that's a fair point. hhaha

mshaman

Post by mshaman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 am

Seems like the going rate on ebay is about $650 right now. ugh.

BTW, A friend just got two with a timestamp of 12:16:58, not sure what the latest timestamp is, but the 12:17 folks should be in good shape. We have a spot in line at 12:21, but I'm not holding my breath.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 am

Don't take anything on ebay at face value anymore.
Anonymous bidding, remember?

Asking prices are never relevant for anything.
And you can't tell which sales are real.

organizedchaos

Post by organizedchaos » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:34 am

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!! MY FAITH IN THE ALMIGHTY TIME STAMP HAS BEEN REWARDED. PRAISE BE TO THE POWERS ABOVE, AND THANK YOU TO THOSE THAT HAVE GIVEN UNTO THE SYSTEM.

No really, thank you.

(1) ticket at 12:17:01 offered this morning!!!!!!!!!!
The answer is never no.

moonbabyy
Camp Name: Kreme Burners 9:30 & B

Post by moonbabyy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:37 am

Congrats OrganizedChaos!!!
So excited for you!!!
Now bring on the 12:17s!!!!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 am

Congratulations, OrganizedChaos!
gyre wrote:Probably not fraud.
Maybe not criminal.
Look up intent.
Everyone else can look it up. :) (Be sure to do it for your specific state and country, dolls!)

Since laws vary from place to place, ePlaya is not a good platform for organizing certain, specific kinds of shenanigans even with the most noble of intents.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 am

Yea!! organizedchaos See you there. :wink:
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

freeeeeman
Camp Name: Dodgeball Addiction

Post by freeeeeman » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:04 pm

admittedly, craigslist has been disappointing. almost all ads are either over priced or scams. (here's hoping paypal protects me like they claim... that was the only reason i was willing to take a chance.) i even wrote a script that polls all of craigslists in CA and texts me when a ticket becomes available and it's astonishing how many scams there are... back to hoping that STEP works out.... :)

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:07 pm

freeeeeman wrote:(here's hoping paypal protects me like they claim... that was the only reason i was willing to take a chance.)
Does this mean that you went ahead and took the CL plunge?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

organizedchaos

Post by organizedchaos » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks guys! I have to say I am coming to the meet and greet this year for sure, you may not know me very well but I am an everyday eplaya lurker and would give anything to meet some of you (junglesmacks/lemur, i'm talking to you here).

See you in the dust!!
The answer is never no.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:22 pm

organizedchaos wrote:(junglesmacks/lemur, i'm talking to you here).

You're in luck! Word on the street is that lemur and I will be doing some creamed corn wrestling before he serves it in his camp.

That's flattering though, thanks.. and see you in the dust!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”