Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by vargaso » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 pm

BBadger wrote:The point of the official position on the timestamps, for those who have missed it, is that they're not an official indicator of your place in line. No "official" sources, such as mods, will even allude to any correlation/causation with respect to queue position, lest the same-people-who-miss-the-point jump all over it, with the same kind of shit-fest we've seen played out over and over since the new year, when or if an exception occurs.

So go right on ahead and use the timestamp as an indicator if it makes you feel better. That's all it does right? It doesn't matter anyway. The probability of receiving a STEP ticket falls into an exponential probability function: the amount of time more you'll wait is independent of how long you've waited. It's like waiting for a bus and checking your watch, as if the time you've waited means the bus will arrive sooner. It arrives when it arrives--if it arrives.
Meh. I've yet to see "official" communication with regards to future performance of this year's ticket situation be anything more than inaccurate, while plenty of non-official communication on these here boards has proven to be quite accurate.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:33 pm

vargaso wrote:
BBadger wrote:The point of the official position on the timestamps, for those who have missed it, is that they're not an official indicator of your place in line. No "official" sources, such as mods, will even allude to any correlation/causation with respect to queue position, lest the same-people-who-miss-the-point jump all over it, with the same kind of shit-fest we've seen played out over and over since the new year, when or if an exception occurs.

So go right on ahead and use the timestamp as an indicator if it makes you feel better. That's all it does right? It doesn't matter anyway. The probability of receiving a STEP ticket falls into an exponential probability function: the amount of time more you'll wait is independent of how long you've waited. It's like waiting for a bus and checking your watch, as if the time you've waited means the bus will arrive sooner. It arrives when it arrives--if it arrives.
Meh. I've yet to see "official" communication with regards to future performance of this year's ticket situation be anything more than inaccurate, while plenty of non-official communication on these here boards has proven to be quite accurate.
Point missed.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Xenagal01

Post by Xenagal01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35 pm

vargaso wrote:

Hear hear, Vargaso! I'd love to hear about new plans to avoid this debacle next year.

I have been coming here every day to see more people receive tickets. Giving me hope that this STEP system is officially working and the queue is in fact moving...and hopefully in order.

I think we have all been informed enough already about how our timestamp doesn't specify our place in the queue! WE GET IT! Does anyone else need the reminder again??? I will continue to wait for the bus checking my watch.

Congrats to all the burners who received tickets and wish the rest of us luck! :D

See you on the playa!

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm

BBadger wrote:
vargaso wrote:

Point missed.
Haha, because I disagree with you, I've "missed the point." I fully understand there is no controlling anything, especially this year's ticketing deal. But all evidence points towards timestamps having a correlation to where one stands in the queue. Of course, that has no bearing on predicting WHEN we may get a ticket (if at all).

clocksnmirrors
Burning Since: 2012

Post by clocksnmirrors » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

every day i come here to see who else has been blessed by STEP. i was fortunate enough to benefit from someone's generosity, and it feels so good every time i see someone else get that same good news!

everyone keep the faith!

b42575p
Camp Name: Red Rubber Tattoo

Post by b42575p » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Congrats to all those who received tickets through STEP, and for all those who haven't I offer you a little of my False Hope to keep you going.

Yours Truly,

Mr. 12:10:17

P.S. I like my time stamp, oh and I like tramp stamps too.
Collectic Mechanic of all things odd, specialties of the uncertainties lost and discovered.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Time stamps, prayers, hob-knobbing whatever the fuck is doing it WE'RE SEEING MOVEMENT AND FOLKS ARE GETTING TICKETS... and that is a gOOOOOOd thing! I have hope!
Last edited by EmilyD on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:28 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:every day i come here to see who else has been blessed by STEP. i was fortunate enough to benefit from someone's generosity, and it feels so good every time i see someone else get that same good news!

everyone keep the faith!
Thanks clocksmirrors, it's nice to have support for those of us still waiting.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:09 am

vargaso wrote:
BBadger wrote:
vargaso wrote:Meh. I've yet to see "official" communication with regards to future performance of this year's ticket situation be anything more than inaccurate, while plenty of non-official communication on these here boards has proven to be quite accurate.
Point missed.
Haha, because I disagree with you, I've "missed the point." I fully understand there is no controlling anything, especially this year's ticketing deal. But all evidence points towards timestamps having a correlation to where one stands in the queue. Of course, that has no bearing on predicting WHEN we may get a ticket (if at all).
No, you did miss the point entirely. ZERO overlap.

Let me spell the reply out for you: 1) the official stance is to not confirm any claims of the timestamp being a gauge of the STEP line because people might jump all over that if there is an exception, 2) you can go right on ahead and use the timestamp as an indicator if you feel better, and 3) it doesn't matter anyway, beyond making you feel better, because it's not going to have bearing on the probability of getting your ticket.

So what were you replying to? What are you even disagreeing with? Nothing was said, or implied, about the accuracy of the official line, or about the timestamp.

Point missed. Again.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:14 am

Eeeeeew, this was a happier thread. 8)

Let's see those times, right down to the seconds....we're rootin' for you all! :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 am

i know where the missing tickets went.
Don't link to anything here!

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:59 am

I know where the other event is.

ETA: Let's see them numbers...right down to the seconds :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:58 am

BOOBIES!!! ( . )( . )
Peace full anarchy in a place called crazy...

usurpedus

Post by usurpedus » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am

theres quite a bit of arguing for the sake of arguing going on here, not surprisignly.

bm guys - you've made your official point.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:07 am

Arnoldo wrote:BOOBIES!!! ( . )( . )
Thank you, Arnoldo.

I'm not going to stop anyone from arguing about time stamps (it was an [arguably] worthwhile discussion, if now rather exhausted) but this has the potential to resume being a fun thread, if we allow it to be.

Let's try and remember what this thread is about!

b00bs! Getting lucky!
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 am

BBadger wrote:It's like waiting for a bus and checking your watch, as if the time you've waited means the bus will arrive sooner. It arrives when it arrives--if it arrives.
Oh of course. Its not busses go in an logical order. Just whatever stop feels right hahaha. Its not like if your buddy at the stop before you texts you when he gets on that it will mean you're probably getting on very soon. Not at all :D
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

Dis)'(rack
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Post by Dis)'(rack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:00 am

Savannah wrote:
b00bs! Getting lucky!
These are not mutually exclusive, ya know.
You pay your money...you take your chances

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am

Dis)'(rack wrote:
Savannah wrote:
b00bs! Getting lucky!
These are not mutually exclusive, ya know.
That's why it's funny. :lol:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

Savannah wrote:
Thank you, Arnoldo.

I'm not going to stop anyone from arguing about time stamps (it was an [arguably] worthwhile discussion, if now rather exhausted) but this has the potential to resume being a fun thread, if we allow it to be.

Let's try and remember what this thread is about!

b00bs! Getting lucky!
You are very welcome Savannah! Some one needed to "perk" up the mood! I can't wait to get Lucky!
See ya in the Dust step-sister!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:59 am

I saw that as Dub Step Sister and really had to blink a few times.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

homo ardentum
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Carnivore

Post by homo ardentum » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 pm

As master of this thread, I too was saddened by the pointless pontification about microseconds. This thread is now officially a Happy Place once again! Go 12:10'ers!!!

7chix&me

Post by 7chix&me » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:53 pm

Yay for bOObs gettin lucky in a happy place!

moonbabyy
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Kreme Burners 9:30 & B

Post by moonbabyy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Quoted from the theme camp thread:
trilobyte wrote:Unneeded tickets do not need to be purchased and then fed back into STEP. The codes will expire on 3/30 at noon, with the unused tickets feeding into the program - no need to tie up funds or be out the $7 service charge.
Still watching and still waiting....

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:41 pm

lucky boobs... :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

If I had a web-cam, I'd flash my boobies right now. Thank you Arnaldo for getting this thread back to the happy place. I also come here to see the line marching along and the happy recipients added to the step-family. :D
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:36 pm

Good energy :) good luck step children haha
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

Arnoldo

Post by Arnoldo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Now I have to put BOOBIES ( . )( . ) on my STEP child shirt I'm making!! Some how some way I WILL be there when the man burns!!!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Everybody knows the Boobs aren't going ot be on the playa this year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:09 pm

BEST FUCKING DAY EVER!!!! I just bought my BM ticket through STEP!! I am so excited I cannot stand it!! I cannot wait to see everyone at TTITD! I am off to make a celebratory drink!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:17 pm

:D YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Squirrelhead! :D

Me + extra excited for you = virgin & a long-time Burn Yearner.

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”