Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
MisguidedMonkey

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Post by MisguidedMonkey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi everybody,

I have been lurking on this list for quite some time now, riding this roller coaster along with you, watching and waiting and learning quite a bit. Thank you.

I am in the STEP program, and (although it means nothing) my time stamp is 12:09:20.

I seem to be an anomaly in the time stamp sequence thing. Last Wednesday, when Erox, whose time stamp was 12:09:19, was awarded tickets, I was thrilled. “Ah ha!” I said. “I am nearing the ticket window. Surely it won’t be long now before I have a chance to buy a ticket.” After all, the line seemed to be moving pretty quickly, and a full ten seconds had passed in just two days, from 12:09:09 on Monday to 12:09:19 on Wednesday. And even though I know that it’s all very unreliable and vague and akin to phrenology and, well, practically hopeless, I allowed a little seed of hope to spring in my heart. I even went so far as to (God forbid) speculate that I might have a ticket by the weekend.

And so I sat down and waited. And waited. And waited. “Hmmm. The bus sure seems to be taking a long time. Maybe there’s a parade or something, and it had to be rerouted.”

But now, Rynox (time stamp 12:09:39 has been awarded tickets! What?

It seems the bus has passed me by.

And just when I was feeling so smug about everything.

Anyway, I thought you all might want to know.

BirthChazz
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Valhalla

Post by BirthChazz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:
BirthChazz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm

strangeloop wrote:
:18 seems so far away...

I hear you, my hubby is in the 12:20 crew.
Now now you two. Keep the faith or I will give you noogies when we are ALL on the playa THIS year... :mrgreen:
Forgive me, I was not being negative. It is possible to have empathy for those who are waiting, without bringing down the tone of the thread. I had hoped to accomplish just that :-) If I have failed in my endeavor, my humblest apologies.
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

MisguidedMonkey wrote:[snip]I am in the STEP program, and (although it means nothing) my time stamp is 12:09:20.
[snip]

You haven't been "passed by". You're still in STEP, you're still in the queue.

And now you understand why we have been emphasizing that the timestamps are not official, and are nothing better than a rough guide to where you are in line. Looking at the seconds is, quite honestly, useless. The minutes will give a very rough guide, nothing more.

Breathe, and keep checking your email for that notification.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Oh man, because 19 milliseconds off is such a rough estimation haha. :wink: :wink:
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 pm

OldSoulYoungBody wrote:Oh man, because 19 milliseconds off is such a rough estimation haha. :wink: :wink:
It was enough for someone to think that "the bus passed (them) by". Another poster in this thread thought they weren't really in STEP because they didn't have seconds on their timestamp. I don't bring up timestamps because I want to, I'm trying to make sure that people who have concerns based on the heavy mentioning of them understand that they don't need to.

I honestly could care less what method people use to get them through the wait, I'm focusing on getting rid of fears people are having based on something unnecessary.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut

MIse

Post by MIse » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:18 am

MisguidedMonkey wrote:Hi everybody,

I have been lurking on this list for quite some time now, riding this roller coaster along with you, watching and waiting and learning quite a bit. Thank you.

I am in the STEP program, and (although it means nothing) my time stamp is 12:09:20.

I seem to be an anomaly in the time stamp sequence thing. Last Wednesday, when Erox, whose time stamp was 12:09:19, was awarded tickets, I was thrilled. “Ah ha!” I said. “I am nearing the ticket window. Surely it won’t be long now before I have a chance to buy a ticket.” After all, the line seemed to be moving pretty quickly, and a full ten seconds had passed in just two days, from 12:09:09 on Monday to 12:09:19 on Wednesday. And even though I know that it’s all very unreliable and vague and akin to phrenology and, well, practically hopeless, I allowed a little seed of hope to spring in my heart. I even went so far as to (God forbid) speculate that I might have a ticket by the weekend.

And so I sat down and waited. And waited. And waited. “Hmmm. The bus sure seems to be taking a long time. Maybe there’s a parade or something, and it had to be rerouted.”

And just when I was feeling so smug about everything.

Anyway, I thought you all might want to know.

I hear ya, my camp mate is at 12:09:30 & hasnt gotten anything either....keeping the faith though!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 am

Remember, accurate to within +/- 5 minutes ;-)

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 am

*facepalm*
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 am

I almost swear to dog this is a mod created sock.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:27 am

junglesmacks wrote:I almost swear to dog this is a mod created sock.
Maybe it's glitter-louse.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 am

BBadger wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:I almost swear to dog this is a mod created sock.
Maybe it's glitter-louse.
Nah.. as time went on even that troll's trolling skills (or lack thereof) became obvious. That, and he/she/it couldn't seem to form more than a few unadventurous sentences at a time.

I'll give this sock credit though.. that was some well put together BS. A solid 8.5/10 of which a good .5 of that is for the subtle username.

I miss Laughing Forrest. I'm betting that she didn't get a STEP ticket because.. well.. she doesn't need one. The universe has a way of manifesting itself. Om shanty om, brethren.

spaghetti weevil

Post by spaghetti weevil » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:19 am

The proposed BLM population cap for 2012 is 58,000 according to the application file here: http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/wfo/blm_ ... _2012.html

That number is 4,000 peeps higher than the total number of tickets we know about. Is the difference the number of passes BMorg reserves for the volunteers and workers? Or-- if the proposal is approved-- does it mean that they will have more tickets available for sale at some later date?

And does anyone here know the BMorgs policy regarding new tickets becoming available, i.e., will they go into step or be issued some other way?

Sincerely,
--grabbing at straws

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 am

spaghetti weevil wrote:The proposed BLM population cap for 2012 is 58,000 according to the application file here: http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/wfo/blm_ ... _2012.html

That number is 4,000 peeps higher than the total number of tickets we know about. Is the difference the number of passes BMorg reserves for the volunteers and workers? Or-- if the proposal is approved-- does it mean that they will have more tickets available for sale at some later date?

And does anyone here know the BMorgs policy regarding new tickets becoming available, i.e., will they go into step or be issued some other way?
Those 4,000 tickets are allocated to the low-income program. Here's the breakdown:

3,000 - Presale
10,000 - Tier 1
15,000 - Tier 2
15,000 - Tier 3
10,000 - Former open sale/theme camp distribution/extras in STEP
4,000 - Low-income program
Total: 57,000

That leaves 1,000 tickets below the cap. Usually they'll have slightly more tickets than the cap, but those might be for other purposes such as volunteers and such.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

spaghetti weevil

Post by spaghetti weevil » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 am

DOH! I forgot about the pre-sale. Thanks BBadger.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:42 am

Neither of the accounts appears to be a sock. Believe me, I wish people would stop posting about it, I'm tired of having to repeat.

MisguidedMonkey

Post by MisguidedMonkey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:36 am

Eric,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I’m glad to know that I’m still in STEP!

I was wondering, since you seem to have access to those inside the STEP program, what your instincts are about how open they are to suggestions. For example, how do you think they would respond to the suggestion that, instead of telling us what they can’t do, or what they aren’t doing (e.g., filling orders in a sequence that corresponds to time stamps), if they might be willing to open the window into their world a little bit and tell us what they are doing? In other words, do you think it might be possible that we could get some sort of regular report (maybe once a week or so) from which we could learn such things as:

How many people were actually allowed into STEP?
How many tickets have already been filled?
How many tickets have entered the program in the past seven days?
What is the average number of tickets awarded each day?
Amusing or interesting anecdotes about what it’s like to be doing their job, etc.

I realize that they are probably very busy fulfilling orders and dealing with God knows what, but it seems to me that providing some hard data and some real information wouldn’t require that much effort, yet it would go a long way toward creating better public relations with those of us out here in the dark who are patiently waiting for some sort of sign about what is going on.

What do you think?

Rocket_06
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spirit Dream

Post by Rocket_06 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 am

BBadger wrote:
spaghetti weevil wrote:The proposed BLM population cap for 2012 is 58,000 according to the application file here: http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/wfo/blm_ ... _2012.html

Those 4,000 tickets are allocated to the low-income program. Here's the breakdown:

3,000 - Presale
10,000 - Tier 1
15,000 - Tier 2
15,000 - Tier 3
10,000 - Former open sale/theme camp distribution/extras in STEP
4,000 - Low-income program
Total: 57,000

That leaves 1,000 tickets below the cap. Usually they'll have slightly more tickets than the cap, but those might be for other purposes such as volunteers and such.
In the past there have been passes for those in (or working for) the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe. It's probably not that many, but might account for some of the 1000 "leftovers". Last time I asked about whether or not the tribe would be able to get passes not this year, I was told it hadn't been decided yet. I always thought it was pretty cool that BMorg did that because the Burn takes place on Paiute ancestral land. It's always good to honor the traditional gatekeepers of the land. I hope they continue the practice this year.

Anyone heard either way on the tribal passes?

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:55 & Columbine

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:04 am

MisguidedMonkey wrote:I was wondering, since you seem to have access to those inside the STEP program, what your instincts are about how open they are to suggestions.
I wouldn't count on getting any sort of reporting from STEP, at least not before Burning Man (I have no idea at all if they'll ever release the type of information you - and others - are interested in).

Any information about tickets entering/ average tickets per day etc would at best be useless (past events do not predict the future), at worst it would raise peoples expectations about the queue and cause the same sort of worry the focus on timestamps caused you. Since STEP is completely dependent on people adding tickets to the program, there is no way to guesstimate what rate they will enter the program in the future based on who contributed in the past.

Think of STEP as real-world training for the "No Expectations" mantra we're all supposed to have on the playa. It's not easy, but stress is not going to help you.

Breathe deep, relax, understand that while the speed of it is out of your control, the queue is moving, tickets are being contributed, your chance of getting back to the dust is good!

Eric ShutterSlut

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:34 am

Expect none of those things ;)

usurpedus

Post by usurpedus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 pm

neener neener neener

MisguidedMonkey

Post by MisguidedMonkey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Eric,

Thank your for your speedy reply.

Please let me assure you that I am not worried, stressed, or entertaining any expectations whatsoever about STEP, Burning Man, or anything else that is out of my control. I hope my questions are not causing you any stress, either.

The reason I made my post about the time stamp was to provide information about my experience, and to share some data that might help others understand this situation we find ourselves in a little better. As it turns out, the data I provided supports the argument you and others have been making all along. At least for me, that is interesting.

So the answer to my question is, “No, I don’t think the STEP crew would be open to the suggestion of sharing any information with their fellow Burners about the STEP process.”

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 pm

I realize that they are probably very busy fulfilling orders and dealing with God knows what, but it seems to me that providing some hard data and some real information wouldn’t require that much effort, yet it would go a long way toward creating better public relations with those of us out here in the dark who are patiently waiting for some sort of sign about what is going on.
Well, here's my take on that (as a fellow STEPPER stumbling around in dark with everyone else):

Giving STEPPERS the kind of updates and info you suggest WILL make more work for the STEP staff, and will not actually HELP out the STEP-waiters in any way:
Yes, it would be very comforting to know my place in line.
Yes, I am interested (in both a personal and an objective/inquisitive sense) in HOW the STEP que actually works.
Yes, I am sure STEP staff have many interesting anecdotes to tell, as you specuate.

HOWEVER, even if they told me any of this info, it would not result in a faster (or definite ticket). So really, it would mean already-stressed staffers taking on extra work to satisfy my curiousity.
Example:
If they do so, and tell me tons of info, I get my ticket in 7 weeks (or not at all, hypothetically).
If they continue to focus on the task at hand, and leave me in the dark, I get my ticket in 7 weeks.

Believe me, I am right there with you: I have wondered on several occasions if I could somehow convince STEP staffers to send me my place in line...
can i email them and be extra sweet about it? can i send homemade cookies? naked photos of myself?
I totally understand your suspense...especially considering I have a much later "time stamp" than u, and therefore am presumably farther off in line.

But really, what's to be gained by their doing the extra work of telling us all this? Doesn't make tickets come any faster...
What is this quintessence of dust?

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm

MisguidedMonkey wrote:So the answer to my question is, “No, I don’t think the STEP crew would be open to the suggestion of sharing any information with their fellow Burners about the STEP process.”
Pretty much, though I would phrase it differently. Also, it's my opinion- I don't work for the ticketing side.

Think of it this way:

If they share information people would find reasons to yell about how unfair the method was, or that the right information wasn't released, or as proof they're selling out & trying to destroy the event, etc (see all past releases of information, especially since Nov; for a history lesson look at last years ticketing section after the sell-out).

If they don't share they get accused of being separate, or elitist, or selling out, or of having no idea of what they're doing (see all requests for information since the LLC was formed)

I personally don't see a "win" in either column, based on past experience with their decisions.

Eric ShutterSlut

AbundantChoice

Post by AbundantChoice » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:Giving STEPPERS the kind of updates and info you suggest WILL make more work for the STEP staff, and will not actually HELP out the STEP-waiters in any way:
I think my brain has finally broken from reading this thread, as now i've got Chubb Rock's couplet from "Back To The Grill" in my head on permanent loop

"Never half step 'cause i'm not a half steppa / drink a lotta soda so they call me Dr Pepper"

Sure hope this goes away by August...
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Eric wrote:If they don't share they get accused of being separate, or elitist, or selling out, or of having no idea of what they're doing (see all requests for information since the LLC was formed)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

VampireKitten
Camp Name: Lip Bomb

Post by VampireKitten » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:11 pm

AbundantChoice wrote:
FeetOfClay wrote:Giving STEPPERS the kind of updates and info you suggest WILL make more work for the STEP staff, and will not actually HELP out the STEP-waiters in any way:
I think my brain has finally broken from reading this thread, as now i've got Chubb Rock's couplet from "Back To The Grill" in my head on permanent loop

"Never half step 'cause i'm not a half steppa / drink a lotta soda so they call me Dr Pepper"

I agree, this went from a thread of hope for me to one of frustration as soon as the arguing started.

Love,
a 12:16er... ps, the timestamp isn't an exact science... it's a whereabouts. Take into consideration the role that 1 vs 2 ticket pair ups have to play. Stop arguing for no reason, it's dumb and we are all in this nightmare together.

PS: I am no way near even hoping for my tickets, so stop complaining about being next in line. The 12:15+ers will thank you.

OldSoulYoungBody

Post by OldSoulYoungBody » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 pm

VampireKitten wrote:
AbundantChoice wrote:

I agree, this went from a thread of hope for me to one of frustration as soon as the arguing started.

Love,
a 12:16er... ps, the timestamp isn't an exact science... it's a whereabouts. Take into consideration the role that 1 vs 2 ticket pair ups have to play. Stop arguing for no reason, it's dumb and we are all in this nightmare together.

PS: I am no way near even hoping for my tickets, so stop complaining about being next in line. The 12:15+ers will thank you.
my feelings exactly
"Every man dies, but not every man really lives"

Rocket_06
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Spirit Dream

Post by Rocket_06 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:39 pm

VampireKitten wrote:
AbundantChoice wrote:

Love,

Don't give up guys. I've got my ticket and I'm still hanging around just to see how you're doing and let you know when some of my campmates score tickets through STEP. My hope is to be able to come on and post that everyone in our camp has a ticket and we're turning some back in to STEP (c'mon Low Income tickets). We'll get our tickets and so will you. We've still got almost 5 months 'til the man burns. Plenty of time to get happy.

Stay on target,

Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:30 Sector
Rocket
Spirit Dream
4:55 & Columbine

nol

Post by nol » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

And by all means........
Timestamp.001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm

When I read this thread, I can empathize with the collective stress and worry going on. And I'm right in the same boat with y'all but I have this firm, gut feeling that somehow, someway I will make it to the Playa. I can't at all envision how that will occur, I just feel it's certainty. So, I'm trusting it because if we've learned anything from the beautiful, freaky, inventive community we're lucky members of it's that some wonderful shit in life just can't be foreseen in advance. Does anyone else have this feeling?

You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Return to “2012 Tickets Discussion”