Raymaker

Re: First Aid

Postby Raymaker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:51 am

scissors

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 am

Great list, radical self reliance and all.

Remember though that there is also a great first aid tent/service out there, so it's not like you're left in the dust with an arm dangling should the need arise.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

waxpraxis

Postby waxpraxis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:04 am

This might sound a bit odd, but when I was in the boy scouts we always included an extra pair or two of tube socks in our kits. Many of the injuries on the playa and out in the woods tend to be foot-based so having something to help hold bandages in place or even just cut up for other uses is just-plain-handy.

I'm also a big fan of always having extra rope.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 am

You might try nasal spray instead of eyedrops; you'd get a steady stream for flushing. I"m sure you could go to a medical supply store (and they are everywhere, or at least in bigger towns) and get saline. Or try ordering from Gall's which was my EMT husband's favorite on-line supply source.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 am

At my age, the most important item in the first aid kit is a portable defibrillator. :shock: :cry:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:48 am

That's a good kit, semiautomagic . You & I have some overlap. I admit I leave out splints & slings, because these can be improvised until one gets to Medical near Center Camp, or the 3o'clock and 9o'clock Stations; plus they take up more space than I like, so between the two factors, if I have to leave something out, it's going to be those. (ESD also has eyewash, although I bring ordinary eye relief). Saline does not go in the kit either; I already have it out on the nightstand for my eyes--and then a little up my nose, nightly. Prevents nosebleeds in that dry climate. If you don't have contact lenses, pick up a bottle of nasal saline; hell, even if you do. (Because I don't mind doing it the cheap & easy way, but nasal saline designed for the purpose has an easier, more sophisticated delivery system.) Here's my kit:

Pepcid
Laxative
Ibuprofen
Aspirin - safer for hangovers
Ginger candy - by "The Ginger People" (great for upset stomach)
Glucose tablets for diabetics (Juice boxes are in the cooler)
Immodium
Pedialyte powder

Tweezers
Scissors
Finger cots - finger condoms; keeps bandaids cleaner & drier when one is working on something
Liquid bandage - this is great for hangnails, papercuts & other tiny cuts often received during camp setup
Cotton balls
Alcohol wipes
Neosporin
Peroxide

First aid tape (1 flexible waterproof roll; 1 classic)
Rolled gauze (2)
Solarcaine
Sanitizer pump
Preservative-free single use Tears (I like Thera Tears; it's not a redness reducer . . . redness reducer goes in cosmetics!)

CPR mask (for use if you've had basic training) http://www.amazon.com/Laerdal-Pocket-Ma ... B001DSLHIW
Extra vinyl gloves
Bandaids, assorted
Gauze squares (2"x2" and 3"x3")
Ace bandage

Not in the kit, but great: 8 oz (?) bottle of lemon juice & wipes with which to treat my feet at night. Lotion follows.

The kit stays in camp. In the playa backpack goes a tiny version: a 2nd CPR mask, gloves, bandaids, Neo-to-Go, Ibuprofen, sanitizer.

waxpraxis wrote:This might sound a bit odd, but when I was in the boy scouts we always included an extra pair or two of tube socks in our kits. Many of the injuries on the playa and out in the woods tend to be foot-based so having something to help hold bandages in place or even just cut up for other uses is just-plain-handy.

Love that idea! Cut the toe end of the sock off and you have a nice tube to protect a bandaged arm.

phil

Postby phil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 am

The first item in a first aid kit is a trained user of the kit. Having all the kit doesn't mean much if the person holding it doesn't know what it's for and how to use it.

Sterile saline solution works better than eye drops at flushing stuff out of the eyes. Big bottle, lots of water.

Also add saline nasal spray. A bottle per person in your camp, and use it daily.

I'd suggest a mild acid to counteract the base pH of the playa powder: vinegar, lemon juice, and the like. If you have cracks in your skin from the dryness, use a mild acid solution (vinegar or juice in water) to rinse out the cracks and counter the burning by the base. That black stuff in and around the crack is dead skin burned by the playa powder.

SAM splints seem to work well and are portable without being a pain to have around. If you're going to splint a limb, it helps to have had training on how to fit the splint without torturing your patient and on how to effectively immobilize the limb. I _highly_ recommend splints for broken bones. It's incredible how effective a good splint is in keeping pain down while transporting someone with a broken leg or arm.

Triangular bandages (cravats) work well for lots of things, including holding on splints and being slings for arms. Make your own cravats from old sheets and shirts and such.

Most people get into trouble on the playa from encounters with rebar and the sun.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:15 am

Incidentally, if it appears that I was somehow advocating not-splinting, please know that that is not the case. :) Splints can be made from many things.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 pm

jkisha wrote:At my age, the most important item in the first aid kit is a portable defibrillator. :shock: :cry:

Ohhhhhh, the sound of a defib charging up for a shock just get's me soooo excited :mrgreen: It's when your the one who can't hear it that you should be worrying :wink:

OP, add duct tape for splinting and blisters, popsicles for splinting, steri-strips and/or super glue for lacerations
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

waxpraxis

Postby waxpraxis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Savannah wrote:Love that idea! Cut the toe end of the sock off and you have a nice tube to protect a bandaged arm.

Yep, that's exactly what they got used for quite often. They're also useful just to quickly mop up a lot of blood (not on the wound of course, since socks aren't sterile). This can help limit the amount of water used (water usage is of concern out in the woods too!)

Rusted Iron

Postby Rusted Iron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Kotex pads make great pressure dressings. Just wrap them down with a roll of gauze or an ace bandage. (I keep a couple of sterile wrapped peri pads from OB, Kerlex and Coban in my first aid kit... Never know when our going to run into an arterial bleed...). Tampons don't work as well, except for nose bleeds.

Savannah

Re: First Aid Kits

Postby Savannah » Thu May 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I'd like to bump this old thread . . .

Your personal First Aid kit should have the capacity to: clean, treat & cover cuts & minor burns, prevent and cushion blisters, foster hydration, cure a myriad of digestive issues, rinse your eyes, soften hangovers and other pains, cope with an untimely period, and of course treat any currently existing known issues unique to you, such as allergies or frequent UTIs (if you get them a lot in the default world, bring a prescription with you--UTIs are common on the playa).

Cuts, blisters, & irritated eyes are among the top complaints in the desert, so if your kit is ready for those possibilities, your chances of having to visit Emergency Services will go down, and you won't have to limp a few blocks in the hot sun over a mere blister. :)

Additional thoughts:

* Assembling your own kit will lead to much higher quality than grabbing one off the shelf at the last minute. (Get quality bandaids and strong tape.)

* Keep any pills in their original bottles (or risk them being mistaken for contraband).

* Preventative measures can stop a lot of issues before they start: Wear gloves when you set up. Keep your goggles handy at all times. Cover the ends of your rebar. Break-in any new shoes long before the playa, bring alternative pairs, and bring extra socks. If you're going to risk your feet to the dust for short amount of time (something I didn't dare do until my 5th Burn!) . . . don't wear tight sandals that make your feet sweaty, and when you're done, clean & moisturize your feet and cover them back up again. Check between your toes daily for playa foot. If you see cracking start, get the Neosporin--your barefoot days are over for the week.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you Savannah.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Savannah and thanks early on for comments from Couch Bob.

https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... t-aid-kit/

Needs an update. Put the items on the packing list.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 am

Does emergency airlift insurance count as a component the first aid kit?
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Sun May 14, 2017 5:17 pm

As a long time EMT (now retired) I marveled at some of the trauma kits my co-workers would assemble. I swear, it was like they were preparing to do sidewalk brain surgery. After about 40 years I have settled for a couple of military trauma bandages, a zipper bag of loose 4X4 gauze pads, a couple rolls of Kling (stretch gauze), one roll of Coban tape, and a zip bag of assorted bandaids.

My rationale for this bare bones approach? If you are so injured that I can't stop the bleeding with what I carry, you are probably gonna die anyway. If your injuries don't rise to the level that requires gauze pads and wrap, you can wait for medical care without any field treatment. The bandaids are more for myself-I have that old man skin that tears easily. Blood running down my arms tends to upset some folks.

You can care for you and your campmates without a big investment.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm

AntiM wrote:Does emergency airlift insurance count as a component the first aid kit?

It really should! . . . I have skipped it thus far, but I remember a number of people getting it for less than $100 in order to remove the possibility of a 10K-20K airlift.

ChanceFlashLightning

Postby ChanceFlashLightning » Sat May 20, 2017 4:23 am

Just found out that info on emergency air lift plans will be forthcoming in the soon to be published Health and Safety edition of the JRS, early June.

Also, I had my first ever experience with diarrhea a couple of months ago, so I'm definitely adding anti-diarrheals to my kit. I can't even imagine the horror of that happening on Playa. Eek!
Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt--marvelous error!--
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart.
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures

-- Antonio Machado, translated by Robert Bly

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat May 20, 2017 4:24 pm

ChanceFlashLightning wrote:Just found out that info on emergency air lift plans will be forthcoming in the soon to be published Health and Safety edition of the JRS, early June.

Also, I had my first ever experience with diarrhea a couple of months ago, so I'm definitely adding anti-diarrheals to my kit. I can't even imagine the horror of that happening on Playa. Eek!

Right? . . . Being stuck in a 100-degree porto because you Can't Stop Going is probably a special level of hell. So pack that Immodium, people! (Or whatever brand you like).

Even more common is constipation due to dehydration, camping food, the disruption of one's usual routine, and Shy Bowel. :lol: Some folks have difficulty convincing their GI tract to act when they're not at home or somewhere quiet and private (instead of in a plastic hut with doors slamming on either side).

Laxatives can be risky business, so pack them just in case, but daily prevention instead is much better:

* eat fresh, dried or canned fruit
* drink fruit juice
* generally stay hydrated

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005

Postby dragonpilot » Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Savannah wrote:
AntiM wrote:Does emergency airlift insurance count as a component the first aid kit?

It really should! . . . I have skipped it thus far, but I remember a number of people getting it for less than $100 in order to remove the possibility of a 10K-20K airlift.

IIRC we paid about $25 for playa medical evacuation insurance, including by air. And...no, don't use this as an alternative to Exodus.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Sham

Postby Sham » Mon May 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Let me add this to the conversation.

I contacted my regular heath insurance carrier, and they confirmed that if I needed, an emergency evacuation (a helicopter ride to the hospital), that it would be covered under my regular insurance.

Before chasing down a separate policy for this---that most likely won't be needed, check with your health insurance carrier and see if it's covered for you.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”