Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: First Aid Kits

Postby Savannah » Thu May 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I'd like to bump this old thread, and link to one more:

First Aid
viewtopic.php?t=42867

Your personal First Aid kit should have the capacity to: clean, treat & cover cuts & minor burns, prevent and cushion blisters, foster hydration, cure a myriad of digestive issues, rinse your eyes, soften hangovers and other pains, cope with an untimely period, and of course treat any currently existing known issues unique to you, such as allergies or frequent UTIs (if you get them a lot in the default world, bring a prescription with you--UTIs are common on the playa).

Cuts, blisters, & irritated eyes are among the top complaints in the desert, so if your kit is ready for those possibilities, your chances of having to visit Emergency Services will go down, and you won't have to limp a few blocks in the hot sun over a mere blister. :)

Additional thoughts:

* Assembling your own kit will lead to much higher quality than grabbing one off the shelf at the last minute. (Get quality bandaids and strong tape.)

* Keep any pills in their original bottles (or risk them being mistaken for contraband).

* Preventative measures can stop a lot of issues before they start: Wear gloves when you set up. Keep your goggles handy at all times. Cover the ends of your rebar. Break-in any new shoes long before the playa, bring alternative pairs, and bring extra socks. If you're going to risk your feet to the dust for short amount of time (something I didn't dare do until my 5th Burn!) . . . don't wear tight sandals that make your feet sweaty, and when you're done, clean & moisturize your feet and cover them back up again. Check between your toes daily for playa foot. If you see cracking start, get the Neosporin--your barefoot days are over for the week.
*** 2016 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Thu May 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Thank you Savannah.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks Savannah and thanks early on for comments from Couch Bob.

https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... t-aid-kit/

Needs an update. Put the items on the packing list.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 am

Does emergency airlift insurance count as a component the first aid kit?
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs"

Postby Molotov » Sun May 14, 2017 5:17 pm

As a long time EMT (now retired) I marveled at some of the trauma kits my co-workers would assemble. I swear, it was like they were preparing to do sidewalk brain surgery. After about 40 years I have settled for a couple of military trauma bandages, a zipper bag of loose 4X4 gauze pads, a couple rolls of Kling (stretch gauze), one roll of Coban tape, and a zip bag of assorted bandaids.

My rationale for this bare bones approach? If you are so injured that I can't stop the bleeding with what I carry, you are probably gonna die anyway. If your injuries don't rise to the level that requires gauze pads and wrap, you can wait for medical care without any field treatment. The bandaids are more for myself-I have that old man skin that tears easily. Blood running down my arms tends to upset some folks.

You can care for you and your campmates without a big investment.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri May 19, 2017 12:04 pm

AntiM wrote:Does emergency airlift insurance count as a component the first aid kit?

It really should! . . . I have skipped it thus far, but I remember a number of people getting it for less than $100 in order to remove the possibility of a 10K-20K airlift.

ChanceFlashLightning

Postby ChanceFlashLightning » Sat May 20, 2017 4:23 am

Just found out that info on emergency air lift plans will be forthcoming in the soon to be published Health and Safety edition of the JRS, early June.

Also, I had my first ever experience with diarrhea a couple of months ago, so I'm definitely adding anti-diarrheals to my kit. I can't even imagine the horror of that happening on Playa. Eek!
Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt--marvelous error!--
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart.
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures

-- Antonio Machado, translated by Robert Bly

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sat May 20, 2017 4:24 pm

ChanceFlashLightning wrote:Just found out that info on emergency air lift plans will be forthcoming in the soon to be published Health and Safety edition of the JRS, early June.

Also, I had my first ever experience with diarrhea a couple of months ago, so I'm definitely adding anti-diarrheals to my kit. I can't even imagine the horror of that happening on Playa. Eek!

Right? . . . Being stuck in a 100-degree porto because you Can't Stop Going is probably a special level of hell. So pack that Immodium, people! (Or whatever brand you like).

Even more common is constipation due to dehydration, camping food, the disruption of one's usual routine, and Shy Bowel. :lol: Some folks have difficulty convincing their GI tract to act when they're not at home or somewhere quiet and private (instead of in a plastic hut with doors slamming on either side).

Laxatives can be risky business, so pack them just in case, but daily prevention instead is much better:

* eat fresh, dried or canned fruit
* drink fruit juice
* generally stay hydrated

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005

Postby dragonpilot » Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Savannah wrote:
AntiM wrote:Does emergency airlift insurance count as a component the first aid kit?

It really should! . . . I have skipped it thus far, but I remember a number of people getting it for less than $100 in order to remove the possibility of a 10K-20K airlift.

IIRC we paid about $25 for playa medical evacuation insurance, including by air. And...no, don't use this as an alternative to Exodus.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Sham

Postby Sham » Mon May 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Let me add this to the conversation.

I contacted my regular heath insurance carrier, and they confirmed that if I needed, an emergency evacuation (a helicopter ride to the hospital), that it would be covered under my regular insurance.

Before chasing down a separate policy for this---that most likely won't be needed, check with your health insurance carrier and see if it's covered for you.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”