Painting Structures

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Beebop13
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Freak Akademy

Painting Structures

Post by Beebop13 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Hola! Seeking advice for what type of paint and sealer to use when painting metal structures. I’ve heard lots of conflicting advice and am trying to figure out what’s truly best in order to avoid rusting or paint chipping off!!!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! 😱😘

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Painting Structures

Post by Popeye » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Lots of good paint out there. If I wanted many years longevity I would prime with Corroseal to convert any rust and provide a good subsurface. Then cover with a name brand Exterior Acrylic. Buy from Lowes, Home Despot or a paint store. not Wally World.
Paint as early as possible it will take up to a month for todays low VOC paints to cure. If not fully cured it will fail early.
Really, any unprimed painted metal that has a chance to cure will last at least a year.

oh, and clean first. You can't paint dirt!
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Entirely depends on what metal.

Iron paints great and there are etching primers and enamels that will last a long time. Think Iron gates, railings etc.

Aluminum won’t hold paint at all unless you get very scientific about it. It is usually anodized in acid wash before it is dyed. Funny that.

Anything galvanized already, like EMT or scaffolding will be tricky as well. The Zn based coating also has an oil strike on it and it won’t hold most paints. You gotta basically strip the oils with ammonia, sand the crap out of it, acid prime, then paint.

Crappy job either way. Lots of sanding, prep, stripping, etching before you even get to the paint brush.

So more specifics needed.

Beebop13
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Freak Akademy

Post by Beebop13 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Thank you so much to both of you! I feel like this was exactly what I needed to know. Cheers and many thanks!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”